Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

PurpleXVI posted:

In Gothic 3, there's "stringtable.ini."
Just like Atom RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's not really surprising, it's not that odd an approach, you make your dialogue trees and translations and then you pack them that way so the game can grab them, it's completely filthy for humans to deal with but it's a computer readable end product.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 2, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

SIGSEGV posted:

That's not really surprising, it's not that odd an approach, you make your dialogue trees and translations and then you pack them that was so the game can grab them, it's completely filthy for humans to deal with but it's the computer readable end product.

But why won't programmers think of me, the most important person in the world, who has to interact with this poo poo fifteen years later?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh, don't worry, they aren't having a good time either, also thanks for immortalizing my typos, I really can't type for poo poo, that or severe dyslexia.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

lmao, get in, there were no Dominions 5 games starting to LP and I couldn't find any lovely RPG supplements to review, so we're getting started early.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
You poor bastard. On the plus side, your approach means you might not have to deal with the horrible 'Community AI enhancement' which changes all the enemies from 'Stand there stupidly while you repeatedly mash the same button over and over to win' to 'Everything dogpiles you and kills you instantly, all the time' (which to be fair, is in line with the vintage Gothic experience, but should probably been balanced a bit based on the existing encounter designs). On the minus side, you may wind up being stuck with the weird 'enhancement' that changes all the game fonts to 'Comic Sans' (which was reportedly done in reaction to many performance issues being tied to the implementation of the custom game font... but still.. 'Comic Sans')...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

EricFate posted:

On the minus side, you may wind up being stuck with the weird 'enhancement' that changes all the game fonts to 'Comic Sans' (which was reportedly done in reaction to many performance issues being tied to the implementation of the custom game font... but still.. 'Comic Sans')...

...wait, I thought it was similar. IS THAT REALYL loving COMIC SANS?