Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

In Training posted:

I just purchased strawberries today that were 3x as much as I paid like 3 weeks ago. But maybe the seasons shifted and I missed epic strawberry season. OR I was buying year old defrosted crap they were trying to move last month.

berries are always super expensive, the ones i have bought recently have gone bad faster than usual too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

In Training posted:

I just purchased strawberries today that were 3x as much as I paid like 3 weeks ago. But maybe the seasons shifted and I missed epic strawberry season. OR I was buying year old defrosted crap they were trying to move last month.

peak strawberry season in the US is pretty much right now, or the next couple months if you live somewhere cold

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

if u have the capability/climate its worth it to grow yr own.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
gardening is shoplifting from g*d herself

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

berry season was pretty hosed this year iirc, but they should be about in season now. dunno what you were buying last month, could be defrosted or those early-grow varieties

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my dad was bragging about his massive case of strawberries he got for 2.99 at the only-produce store in his town this weekend so i think now is the time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

berries are always super expensive, the ones i have bought recently have gone bad faster than usual too

feel like I have bought good garlic in like 5 years around here. Not sure what's up with that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

feel like I have bought good garlic in like 5 years around here. Not sure what's up with that
yeah garlic season has sucked poo poo for years now. I generally buy from local produce markets or sometimes Costco AND I live near the "garlic capitol" (gilroy) so it's not like it has to travel to NYC like it does for you. no idea whats up with why it's been so weirdly bad.

weirdly enough, the garlic i bought at trader joes recently has lasted awhile, it's like the only place where my garlic hasn't been utter dogshit which is funny because their produce is usually mediocre at absolute best.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

In Training posted:

ive noticed the same, the only ones that come out fine are the small organic ones that only result in a handful of cloves. the cilantro is also poo poo everywhere

i found that the asian grocery stores usually have better produce but recently like half of what i have bought is bad or has gone bad really fast

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i found that the asian grocery stores usually have better produce but recently like half of what i have bought is bad or has gone bad really fast
yep. i stopped trying stock up on veggies and just buy them if I plan to cook with them the same or next day. unfortunately this means if I get lazy and skip grocery shopping, I resort to just eating dried pasta or couscous or frozen something more often than I'd like

i think they're all just sitting in warehouses and transit for longer than before, even if it's relatively close-by, for awhile.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I bought some cilantro on a Friday night, and by the time I pulled them out of the fridge on Sunday, I pulled out a bag of wet wilted green crap.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Xaris posted:

yep. i stopped trying stock up on veggies and just buy them if I plan to cook with them the same or next day. unfortunately this means if I get lazy and skip grocery shopping, I resort to just eating dried pasta or couscous or frozen something more often than I'd like

i think they're all just sitting in warehouses and transit for longer than before, even if it's relatively close-by, for awhile.
could also include a combination of underpaid workers or needing-replacement refrigeration equipment letting produce bounce out of ideal temperature range more

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

really queer Christmas posted:

I bought some cilantro on a Friday night, and by the time I pulled them out of the fridge on Sunday, I pulled out a bag of wet wilted green crap.
did you store them differently?

i think I might be lucky since there's probably cilantro and parsley farms nearby in the central valley, but I haven't had any notable issue with parsley or cilantro (only once in awhile does it instantly mushify into green baby food). not like I have with garlic, kale, and some other stuff anyways. potatos have been extremely bad here. i recently bought a bag and like all of them were green or sprouted

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it could also be shopper-inflicted. if we all notice stuff goes bad faster and start buying smaller portions, store turnaround isn't as quick and stuff starts going bad faster

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

yeah garlic season has sucked poo poo for years now. I generally buy from local produce markets or sometimes Costco AND I live near the "garlic capitol" (gilroy) so it's not like it has to travel to NYC like it does for you. no idea whats up with why it's been so weirdly bad.

weirdly enough, the garlic i bought at trader joes recently has lasted awhile, it's like the only place where my garlic hasn't been utter dogshit which is funny because their produce is usually mediocre at absolute best.

I don't know how commercially farmed garlic works, but garlic benefits from exposure to freezing temperatures and some hardneck varieties require periods of freezing to form proper bulbs. We've had huge problems with our garden garlic because it hasn't been cold enough for long enough for about three winters now. We may actually start doing the trick of sticking garlic bulbs in the freezer for a month before planting.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think most garlic is imported from china, or thats at least what a angry old woman was screaming at me once while i was picking some up.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

stumblebum posted:

could also include a combination of underpaid workers or needing-replacement refrigeration equipment letting produce bounce out of ideal temperature range more
its 100% this

i also think the trucking industry was hit pretty hard when covid started, and that was already a pretty fragile industry (older folks aging out)

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Lotta people going gaga for garlic in my local area. Lotta farmers getting in on it, being asked to do contract grows, etc. It's a very maintenance free crop round these parts

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
garlic is really easy to grow but is crazy expensive at the farmers market for some reason.

just buy some seed garlic and plant it yourself in the fall, then keep replanting from your harvest. your harvest will last most of the year if you keep it dry.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

you can also leave a bulb out awhile, split off the cloves that sprout and plant 'em. they grow fast

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

can't wait for those scapes

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its 100% this

i also think the trucking industry was hit pretty hard when covid started, and that was already a pretty fragile industry (older folks aging out)

Trucking has always sucked and then, like 10 years ago, companies like Tesla started saying they were going to replace drivers.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

cool $3 dollar a can tuna in the olive oil is apparently conspicuously watered down. same label and price and everything. mr. president hurry up and call on somebody to do something

turkey is a little dry

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

when to the farmers market the other day and all the greens there were insanely cheap compared to the bullshit prices at any of the bullshit KROGERS grocers

fruit still pricey though but at least v. good versus garbo

Lucky you, our farmers market is just resellers so the produce sucks and the prices are really high

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Grapplejack posted:

Lucky you, our farmers market is just resellers so the produce sucks and the prices are really high

"farmers" markets that are just soap sellers and food trucks and driscoll's strawberries and some guy playing the guitar piss me off

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

what state r u in? where i am the official farmers markets are all registered with a local org and then the growers are inspected occasionally for honesty

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

"farmers" markets that are just soap sellers and food trucks and driscoll's strawberries and some guy playing the guitar piss me off

Oh poo poo a Driscoll hater

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

its good to hate Driscoll

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

many california farmers markets are pretty decent most o f the year, because of the central valley, but i like posting this tampa bay times story about what a crock of poo poo many farmers markets are.
https://projects.tampabay.com/projects/2016/food/farm-to-fable/farmers-markets/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

post hole digger posted:

many california farmers markets are pretty decent most o f the year, because of the central valley, but i like posting this tampa bay times story about what a crock of poo poo many farmers markets are.

this rules so far ty

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

post hole digger posted:

BRB gonna set up an unregulated Florida farmers mkt to resell south American fruits and sysco packed greend

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

there was also this great cbc video where the reporter lady actually captures them ripping off the labels and stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYwB63YslbA

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I blame the rich people who decided to make farmers markets and "farm-to-table" trendy for the abundance of really lovely markets. a suburban market will almost always be lovely. you have to go into the city to find the good ones that actually have farmers selling. the ones that have been around for 50+ years are usually good too, as long as the local tourism bureau hasn't gotten their claws in it

post hole digger posted:

i say swears online posted:

this rules so far ty

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

post hole digger posted:

I think most of the vendors at the ones I go to (bay area) are ostensibly from central valley farms but tbh most of the time it doesn't look particularly fresh/good, and it's also generally very expensive stuff. only once in awhile do i find a good deal that blows away what I can just buy at a produce market

but i suppose at least it's not fraudulent like florida. FL is probably the biggest scam-scheme-and-hustle culture state so it's not surprisingly that they're virtually all fraudulent.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just realized i'm like 15 blocks from a farmer's market. looks like i'm buying some honey on saturday

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the farmers hsould be crushed

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i say swears online posted:

just realized i'm like 15 blocks from a farmer's market. looks like i'm buying some honey on saturday

a guy near me started selling honey they been collecting from rooftop hives and it's drat good stuff...

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

In Training posted:

a guy near me started selling honey they been collecting from rooftop hives and it's drat good stuff...

Hope u don't live near too many rhododendrons

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

farmer's markets...good??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

titty_baby_ posted:

Hope u don't live near too many rhododendrons

Lol thanks for this...cool that there's a market for Mad Honey