Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

Detheros posted:

I can't stop playing.

Game good

e: quality snipe

rath fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I love getting negative to hit on a Joker I'd really like to keep around but not if it's gonna take up space, it is the greatest feeling

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

junan_paalla posted:

I've poured more hours into this over the past two days than is reasonable and won at least one run with all of the decks you unlock at normal difficulty. I still think the game would benefit from representing the different decks with marketable little guys you can root for, and the blinds with bad guys I can get mad at for tanking my run, but that might just be me.
The visual style and direction is really nice, though I did turn off the crt effect and screen shake almost immediately, and I like how it's just all about cards. But maybe just a small neat illustration of a themed king/queen/joker to represent the boss? The symbols don't really do it for me.

I feel the jokers have so much personality, it would be great to have some unlocks for different skins or something for the regular cards.

Also I strangely want more backgrounds.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

hosed up a run with ante 13/14 potential by forgetting to move my blueprint off of my DNA and onto my holographic. RIP my 100 steel/gold stamp aces.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

to the moon!!!!

the rocket is one of the most subtly busted jokers in the game. it scales better than any of the other sources of income, and when you hit 10+ gold per round you can start digging through restocks for exactly the jokers you need for your loadout

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I kinda wish the boot and the bull werent in the game cause then I wouldnt have any reason to greed past like 50. Oh well cant be helped.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Game is good, just recieved it today and played for maybe 4hrs straight.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

So there's a couple things here...

- That makes all of the pre-Red Stakes completion decks beaten at White Stakes.
- I lost the photo, but I got double the "Beat the Boss Blind for Cash" tags, to get $38 from one hand. :getin:
- The reason why this is a picture of beating the game and not how far I got in Endless mode is because this is a successful speed run! 12 rounds, baby!

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

junan_paalla posted:

I still think the game would benefit from representing the different decks with marketable little guys you can root for, and the blinds with bad guys I can get mad at for tanking my run, but that might just be me.

I dunno, I've already built up a healthy hatred for the lil glyph for the arm :v:

Also I just unlocked the plasma deck and :stwoon:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Today I realized (or remembered) that I could discard up to 5 cards at a time. And I learned that playing a hand with cards that do not contribute have those non-contributing cards not count as discards.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Unlucky7 posted:

Today I realized (or remembered) that I could discard up to 5 cards at a time. And I learned that playing a hand with cards that do not contribute have those non-contributing cards not count as discards.

And if you get the right joker, those cards count for scoring anyway. :sickos:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

junan_paalla posted:

I've poured more hours into this over the past two days than is reasonable and won at least one run with all of the decks you unlock at normal difficulty. I still think the game would benefit from representing the different decks with marketable little guys you can root for, and the blinds with bad guys I can get mad at for tanking my run, but that might just be me.
The visual style and direction is really nice, though I did turn off the crt effect and screen shake almost immediately, and I like how it's just all about cards. But maybe just a small neat illustration of a themed king/queen/joker to represent the boss? The symbols don't really do it for me.

I appreciate it for this actually. It'd be so easy to ruin some of the appeal with bad theming. It might have gotten overlooked if it looked like any other fantasy deckbuilder, for instance.

Unlucky7 posted:

A big break for me in the demo was realizing I could play hands of less than five cards to score hands such as two pair.

A bigger break for me now would be to reverse that and remember I don't have to play less than five cards, and sometimes playing two pair with a spare 3 is like a scoring hand plus free discard. But that'd be expecting me not to outthink myself.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I should have known discarding debuffed face cards wouldn't work for faceless joker (get $5 for discarding at least three face cards at once)

and yet

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Phew! Finally beat orange stakes, what a bastard. I pulled it off in a very Blue Deck fashion: I picked up the voucher for +1 hand per round, which meant I could trigger the every-6th-hand bonus on Loyalty Card every round. I guess I would have beaten the bell regardless but that x4 multiplier (on top of x1.5 for polychrome) carried me long enough for the rocket to get going to fund cards to pump up Hologram (which were also valuable in their own right since I was hammering special 2s and 5s with Hack.)

EDIT: I died on the next ante in the most Balatro way possible: I ran into the Psychic and started dumping hands to cycle my deck and run down the counter on Loyalty Card only to discover that Not Allowed hands do not count towards "hands played" triggers :saddowns:

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 23, 2024

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Double Bloodstone (1 out of 3 chance to X2 your multiplier every time a heart card is scored) is very strong, but also terrifying to run. Every hand has the potential to lap the goal a hundred fold or fail to get even a 10th of the way there.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Trying to unlock the last decks and I'm wondering if there's an easier deck to do the stake climb with than green

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Color Printer posted:

Trying to unlock the last decks and I'm wondering if there's an easier deck to do the stake climb with than green

Probably checkered? Maybe plasma, it seems bonkers but I haven't tried it much.

Personally I find blue easiest of the basic decks but that seems to be a matter of playstyle preference.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heads up, if you play on Switch be careful checking your progress in your profile!! There is no confirmation for the 'unlock all' button on the profile screen on that platform. The button is dark grey when hovered so it doesn't really look like it's selected. It also is touch-screen like the rest of the options.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Where are my fellow discard freaks?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Always crack a smile when he shows up in the shop. Hey pal, it's been a while!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey, are Aces low in this game? Has anyone made a Straight with A2345? I haven't yet. Like in real hold 'em mixed straights don't work so you can't do KQA23 for example.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Popete posted:

*raises hand B)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You can make a straight with aces high or low.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Hey, are Aces low in this game? Has anyone made a Straight with A2345? I haven't yet. Like in real hold 'em mixed straights don't work so you can't do KQA23 for example.

Aces can be either high or low, you just can't do both at once.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My dumb rear end didn't realize til just now you can play random cards in addition to your poker hand

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Popete posted:

Just got it last run, as a matter of fact! First win on Red Stakes, too.

CJacobs posted:

Always crack a smile when he shows up in the shop. Hey pal, it's been a while!

Unironically love seeing the regular Joker show up if it's first Ante. Sometimes all you really want in those first few hands is a couple of extra Mult.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

woke kaczynski posted:

Aces can be either high or low, you just can't do both at once.

Cool, thanks! I got a royal flush and it was nice to see it scores (a lot!) even though it's not listed in the 'Run Info' tab. It has levels too.

Jossar posted:

Unironically love seeing the regular Joker show up if it's first Ante. Sometimes all you really want in those first few hands is a couple of extra Mult.

Fella is worth picking up, especially for the price. It's easy to forget you can just sell Jokers when you're done using them, at least for me. Maybe too used to roguelikes like Isaac where you can't drop stuff.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 23, 2024

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I finally unlocked challenges today and I've been bashing my head against The Omelette. Managed to get the Swashbuckler, so I had a flat +180 mult and then I had Blackboard and the Phil Hellmuth joker to get wacky multipliers just off of playing pairs. Made it all the way to the boss of ante 8, which was the "all cards debuffed til you sell a joker" and I accidentally sold one of my drat eggs, cutting my mult by a third and costing me the win!

Game is awesome and I'm never going to stop playing it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

the holy poopacy posted:

I haven't played with it extensively (I might switch to it if I can't muscle past orange chip otherwise) but I don't really see how this is the case. It doesn't actually take away any of your other tools, and having such an incredibly brainless early game gives you more time and resources to build towards anything else. If you want to go for an aces deck checkerboard is still going to have an easier time than most.

are you banking tons of cash and adding as many playing cards to your deck as possible? genuinely curious. I could see using arcana to duplicate face cards for flush fives but I don't see a lot of utility out of building up the usual bread and butter of other decks like two pair or plain straights. I'd rather use the money to chooch the flushes and straight flushes, and turn as many cards into bonus/mult cards as possible. especially once you get to orange chip and booster packs start getting real expensive at higher antes

barnold fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 23, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

barnold posted:

are you banking tons of cash and adding as many playing cards to your deck as possible? genuinely curious. I could see using arcana to duplicate face cards for flush fives but I don't see a lot of utility out of building up the usual bread and butter of other decks like two pair or plain straights. I'd rather use the money to chooch the flushes and straight flushes, and turn as many cards into bonus/mult cards as possible. especially once you get to orange chip and booster packs start getting real expensive at higher antes

I normally bank a bit of cash and add playing cards at a reasonable clip, but I wouldn't say as many as possible (unless I have the joker that adds x0.25 for every card added.) If I'm trying to force a single rank that's mostly about grabbing Death/Hanged Man/Strength.

Flushes are an easy and obvious route and that's probably what you're going to do most of the time, but if your draws lean towards anything else there's no particular reason not to go that route. You can argue that the checkered deck is behind on econ compared to something like yellow or green deck, but you also have the benefit of super consistent hands right off the bat which lets you play greedier than they could get away with.

I still need to grind checkered deck up, so I'll see if it actually holds up at higher antes stakes, but I have a hard time seeing how it wouldn't.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 23, 2024

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I can see it being worthwhile to have one or two backup hands ready for those times where the game draws you four spades and four hearts after a play when you're out of discards, but orange stakes are where it starts getting brutal with that deck. I've gotten to the final ante three times now and just missed winning the run all three times

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Egg joker makes me ugly laugh every time it comes up and I have no idea why.

I've been clearing everything using two pair decks and saving glass cards until the last blind.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The black deck is loving rough

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Nihilarian posted:

The black deck is loving rough

I've found you either get a bunch of early jokers and take advantage of the extra one in some way and snowball or you're just dead in ante 2 with this deck

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah i managed to get two foil riff raffs and rng'd my way into a winning set

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

faantastic posted:

Egg joker makes me ugly laugh every time it comes up and I have no idea why.

I've been clearing everything using two pair decks and saving glass cards until the last blind.

The egg is an inherently amusing object:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
my appreciation of Riff Raff has increased now that i understand it's 4-6 free gold every round on top of digging for good commons

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man what the gently caress.

:mad:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Nemo2342 posted:

Yes because I immediately turned the music off.

:mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
gently caress The Wall, btw.