Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

So Monsters no longer get to keep the last minion played? Thank loving god, that ability was ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Double Bill posted:

So Monsters no longer get to keep the last minion played? Thank loving god, that ability was ridiculous

All the faction abilities are being worked into units/leaders of that faction, so instead of keeping the last unit played they might just have resilient units.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Electronico6 posted:

Seeing CDPR just chuck an entire cornerstone and identity of their game design in the bin because they know it's going to more trouble than is worth down the line, gives me hope that we won't see them getting stuck with dumb ideas and poor decisions made on during early design, then try to tap dance and ignore the overall problem like Team 5 is doing with their Evergreen/Standard/Wild rotation scheme.

Also with no faction abilities it opens a way to make some form of Limited format, where you can tape together a deck from different factions.(Then again Cahir's new description might point that there won't be such a thing)

The whole thing has felt like an actual beta, with lots of communication from CDPR and every update bringing pretty big changes. So far I haven't seen any missteps so I'm excited for open beta to start.

BTW: You will get end of season ranked rewards from closed beta in the open beta. The only glimpse we've had of the actual rewards was very briefly in the stream...

...but it looks like you get a keg for each rank, on top of an increasing amount of scraps and meteorite powder.

At the very least, rank 15 should guarantee upgrading a legendary card to premium on top of 15 kegs and and, i'm guessing, ~800 scrap.

Shiiit I'm gonna have like a hundred packs to open next week

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Here is a reddit post outlining the changes, including cards, from yesterdays stream:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6brhuq/open_beta_changes_stream_reveal_may_17/

My favorite change would have to be the weather change, which I didn't realize until today was a specific effect that can be applied to any row and only affects one side of the field. For example, biting frost could be played on the ranged or siege row now and does 1 damage every turn. Also, and this is kind of tied to weather, Ragh Nar Roog now seems really powerful, as it should be. It's now applied to all of your opponents rows and does 3 damage to the highest strength unit(s) on that row.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

They also did a Polish stream today, if you want to see more cards:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6bxjwh/polish_stream_is_on/?st=j2usrofo&sh=6d770afd
Wild Hunt is now all-in on frost synergies.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Should we make a new thread for the switch or leave it? Is Popete still around to update the OP with all the new stuff? Looks like the last time he posted was in February.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

So NR is pretty much a completely new faction, every card is changed. They really didn't like the gold synergy and summon/resurrect mechanics it seems. It looks like a... buff faction now?

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 18, 2017

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Double Bill posted:

So NR is pretty much a completely new faction, every card is changed. They really didn't like the gold synergy and summon X from your deck mechanics it seems
NR was just a mechanical mess- their faction ability was very narrow and boring, and the combination of deckthinning and lots of rezing made gameplay very repetitive.
Having a faction partially built around stopping interaction from your opponent was another big problem.

They said on the Polish stream today that anything that was shown on the streams from NR shouldn't be taken as final, since they're still actively tweaking stuff much moreso than the other factions. I think you'll see armor/machines and bond/trio as core mechanics, along with possibly weather.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Double Bill posted:

So NR is pretty much a completely new faction, every card is changed. They really didn't like the gold synergy and summon/resurrect mechanics it seems

It's not surprising with their paradigm shift to gold cards being almost entirely immune to interaction. When you promote that kind of mechanic and than have a faction identity that exclusively works with gold cards, you end up with something hard to balance and unimaginative. Honestly it seems like NR, Monsters and Nilfgaard are going to play completely different. Maybe less so with Nilfgaard, but they are definitely getting trickier, sneakier and more interactive than anything we've seen before.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

ShowTime posted:

Should we make a new thread for the switch or leave it? Is Popete still around to update the OP with all the new stuff? Looks like the last time he posted was in February.

At the very least we should change the thread title to let people know it's in open beta.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

A new thread seems like a good idea since it'll be leaving closed beta and I think the PS4 client is launching at the same time? so that's a new platform + no more wipes, good time for it.

at the very least let's ditch the random hearthstone bashing title since this game's about as divorced from that game as it's possible for a card game to be.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I was gonna start writing one. I just wish we knew what the starter decks looked like already so I could include writeups on how to play the starting decks and what route to probably go with them. I'll get started on it and can just edit the original post or reserve the first post slot to add stuff after they are released. I probably won't post it until towards the end of the weekend or the day of the open beta release.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Need a good new title.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
New KoB is really weird. Pretty decent in R2 if you've won R1, bad if you lost it, funny in round 3.

Everyone getting a redraw is crazy. I'm actually a bit surprised the devs didnt keep thinning around while upping the deck size, but it seems instead like they're making a lot of the thinning effects less strong than before (KoB and all of NR most noticeably).

Not at all looking forward to 6 str war longships tbh.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Megazver posted:

Need a good new title.

Gwent: The Witcher Card Game - Plough 'em all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOjJX8t5YDg

I think that should be the title of any Witcher-related thread, though.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

New KoB is really weird. Pretty decent in R2 if you've won R1, bad if you lost it, funny in round 3.

Everyone getting a redraw is crazy. I'm actually a bit surprised the devs didnt keep thinning around while upping the deck size, but it seems instead like they're making a lot of the thinning effects less strong than before (KoB and all of NR most noticeably).

Not at all looking forward to 6 str war longships tbh.

KoB is going to be used more for extra synergy than his actual ability. Reveal him and use as a nuke for Nilfgaard, Discard and nuke for Skellige, Consume with Kayran for monster, and so on. If they want to keep the design like that I imagine they are going to make him a 5 while in your hand and then buff to 10/15 instead of the other way around.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Why are they nerfing Geralt?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Why are they nerfing Geralt?

It's not really a nerf as strength across the board is down. They are wanting games to hover around 100 strength at completion and not 150+. It looks like a nerf, but in the frame of all the changes, it's not. Geralt will probably be one of the golds in all of the starter decks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A bunch of better golds aren't being changed, though.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

A bunch of better golds aren't being changed, though.

Probably because they are in line with where CDPR wants them to be. Plus, it's only open beta and nothing is set in stone, even in release. If he needs a buff, they'll buff him. But he looks to be just a basic gold card and will almost certainly be in the starter decks, which is why they want him to be so plain.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Is anybody else able to get into a friend match? Just tried to play with a buddy and the GoG overlay shat itself when I pushed the button.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

Is anybody else able to get into a friend match? Just tried to play with a buddy and the GoG overlay shat itself when I pushed the button.

Nah me and my brother had the same issue. Allegedly if you launch Gwent through the GOG Galaxy launcher it will work, but everytime I do that, the GOG Friends List app crashes.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

ShowTime posted:

Are those leaders millable?

Don't think leaders will be craftable or found in kegs anymore, so I doubt they'd be millable, otherwise you could never get them back.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What the gently caress is this drop hack looking bullshit? Three times now this morning my opponent ropes out when they're losing and instead of discarding a card the timer gets stuck on 0 for a few seconds and then it throws me out of the game and credits a win to my opponent. I get no progress to rounds won and no xp but it does dump my rank.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

What the gently caress is this drop hack looking bullshit? Three times now this morning my opponent ropes out when they're losing and instead of discarding a card the timer gets stuck on 0 for a few seconds and then it throws me out of the game and credits a win to my opponent. I get no progress to rounds won and no xp but it does dump my rank.

There seems to be some problem server side this morning. Folk have been reporting a lot of random disconnects. Better wait to CDPR fix on their side of things.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

There seems to be some problem server side this morning. Folk have been reporting a lot of random disconnects. Better wait to CDPR fix on their side of things.
It seems a bit too much of a coincidence though that I'm 3 for 3 it happening on the opponent's turn while they're in a bad spot.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Asehujiko posted:

It seems a bit too much of a coincidence though that I'm 3 for 3 it happening on the opponent's turn while they're in a bad spot.

Nah, they are more likely part of a hacker cabal targeting you specifically for your advanced skill at Gwent making them look bad.

(They may have had the same issue and got a loss as well)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Electronico6 posted:

It's season rewards, probably works like cardbacks for HS. For playing closed beta you get a unique Geralt Avatar, a Unique Geralt Foil Card, and a unique title.

So stupid question time, what exactly does "playing closed beta" mean? :) Do I need to reach a certain rank or something?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

jaete posted:

So stupid question time, what exactly does "playing closed beta" mean? :) Do I need to reach a certain rank or something?

I want to say that if you just entered the beta and registered a key to your GOG account(or xbox) you get the Foil Geralt, Young Geralt Portrait, and the unique title, but not sure, what I'm sure though is that it isn't tied to any rank or mmr, so if you checked the client you should get them.

Edit: Also a bunch of streamers right now playing on the PTR checking out the new cards and changes.

Edit2: Holy poo poo the new weather and rag na roog animation effects are so loving good

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 19, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Wow Gwent is looking amazing with the new patch. It's starting to look like a really polished card game.

And yea, the new animations are amazing. I really want to get someone to make me an animated avatar with the new Ragh Nar Roog animation, but I was gonna wait until the patch was released.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.playgwent.com/en/newsletter/25/2?&pk_campaign=Email&pk_kwd=2017-05-19

20 new cards!

Electronico6 posted:

I want to say that if you just entered the beta and registered a key to your GOG account(or xbox) you get the Foil Geralt, Young Geralt Portrait, and the unique title, but not sure, what I'm sure though is that it isn't tied to any rank or mmr, so if you checked the client you should get them.

Edit: Also a bunch of streamers right now playing on the PTR checking out the new cards and changes.

Edit2: Holy poo poo the new weather and rag na roog animation effects are so loving good

I appreciate that they recorded Lifecoach for the Ragh Nar Roog sound effect

https://clips.twitch.tv/PricklyAggressiveBeefKeepo

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Here are the new starter decks. Though the NR one will most likely change when OB hits as it's the only one that doesn't have the same type of build as the others with 3 Class golds.

https://imgur.com/a/wFYN4#Jp1ASzh

The recipes are 1 faction gold(Hjalmar for Skellige, Saskia for ST, Cahir for NG, Imlereth for Monsters) and 3 neutral Golds(Geralt, Triss Merigold and Royal Decree), 1 Class Sliver(Blackhand for SK, Barclays for ST, Peter Saar for NG, Nithral for Monsters and 5 Neutrals(Commander Horn, Cow, Scorch, Manticore Venom, and decoy!).

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Not bad. Those are a definite step up from the closed beta decks.

Man, between that and the free kegs from playing closed beta AND all the leaders being 'free' I am getting pretty loving hype for Wednesday :getin:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Excellent, I'm super glad new players are at least gonna have full Golds/Silvers at the start.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

that monster deck looks mobile af

also, are chorts regular cards now?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Are closed beta rank rewards your rank when it rolls over and wipes or the highest rank you attained? I want to know if I should stop playing ranked so I don't fall down a level.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Xtanstic posted:

Are closed beta rank rewards your rank when it rolls over and wipes or the highest rank you attained? I want to know if I should stop playing ranked so I don't fall down a level.

I don't think it's possible to lose ranks.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy

Xtanstic posted:

for ranks 1-15 it's the highest attained, no matter how low you tank your mmr you won't lose those. but if you mean the overall player ranking post rank 15, rewards for rank 1000 to 1 depend on maintaining enough mmr to keep your spot, and it's a bloodbath around 1000 so with mmr inflation if you're rank 1000 right now in as little as an hour you'd probably drop below that.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Estraysian posted:

I don't think it's possible to lose ranks.

Goblin posted:

for ranks 1-15 it's the highest attained, no matter how low you tank your mmr you won't lose those.

Ah I wasn't sure since I've never fallen. Good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Anyone got any suggestions for me to tweak my deck before the wipe? http://gwentify.com/decks/pre-wipe-consume/

It's a modified consume deck based on what I had and what I could afford. I don't think I'll be able to amass another legendary so I'm wondering if I could slot in two purples instead of my ghouls. Deck is running pretty smoothly so far though down here in the rank 4 slums.

• Locked thread