Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

SourKraut posted:

Oh that’s definitely true. And on one hand it’s great to get back to the NLCS, but getting swept in it also really sucks.
you arent swept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Genius move by Maddon if you think about it, the Cubs were never going to score off the Dodgers bullpen anyway so you might as well save your arms and throw out the guy who's most likely to give up the walk-off.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Troxartas posted:

Not really Rooting for either team, that felt good to see after Lackey stepped off 8 times last AB

would have been funnier if that pitch he threw after sitting on his dumb haunches for 12 minutes was the dinger, imo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Need MaddonFace.gif ASAP

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

SourKraut posted:

I guess we’re back to Cubs lovely luck. Thankfully I won’t have to live another 108 years.

No, we are at Cubs lovely bullpen (which actually didn't suck for most of the game). And lovely Cubs batting.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Popete posted:

I tried to be optimistic because the Cubs pulled it off so many times last year when I thought they were out. That doesn't appear to be the case this year.
There’s no hope.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

New Concept Hole posted:

If someone told me that the last five playoff games vs the Dodgers were actually played by the Giants I'd believe it

Harsh but fair.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still just baffled at the Taylor at bat.

Lackey gets strike 1 and then throws a slider for ball 1 (it's the closest pitch) and then goes back to the same spot with two more curve balls to the exact same spot and each pitch was farther and farther away from being a strike.

Both of the inside pitches had him locked up. And yet instead Lackey just wants to keep going outside.

I'd really love to know what Contreras was calling for there at 3-2 because I bet it wasn't some outside bullshit.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

can someone explain why jansen is impossible to hit? like he's throwing fastballs at eyelevel and all batters can do is swing at them as hard as possible. it doesn't make sense

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Abel Wingnut posted:

can someone explain why jansen is impossible to hit? like he's throwing fastballs at eyelevel and all batters can do is swing at them as hard as possible. it doesn't make sense

He's got a Rivera-style cutter that have really difficult to pick up movement

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

he is throwing mariano cutters but faster

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

Felix felicis

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
It would be one thing if we were hitting and still getting beat, but it's just embarrassing. Especially with as much as we're helping them out.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hopefully the Cubs win one so Wrigley gets three games.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Sydin posted:

He's got a Rivera-style cutter that have really difficult to pick up movement

yea, i get that but rivera's were at least near the zone. jansen's are way out.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Righties can't hit Jansen but lefties aren't that bad against him. This is important because the Cubs bench had a bunch of lefties available to hit off him and didn't use them.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Though if the Dodgers winning a WS is the price to pay for them to lose the NL West next year to the D’backs for all my friends here I’ll gladly take that too.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Oh well at least there's two more in Wrigley for the year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Abel Wingnut posted:

yea, i get that but rivera's were at least near the zone. jansen's are way out.

The Cubs are also bad.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Oh well at least there's two more in Wrigley for the year.

Yeah, but then we get to hear Maddon and Epstein talk about how the bullpen is actually really good and they just had “bad luck”.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, but then we get to hear Maddon and Epstein talk about how the bullpen is actually really good and they just had “bad luck”.

To be fair the bullpen was actually mostly competent tonight. Lackey is not part of the pen, Lackey is Lackey.

Also the joke is that Taylor would have swung at the first pitch from Duensing and popped it up, ending the inning.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Belated congrats Dodgers fans! See you at Wrigley

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It was gonna be tough to win either of these games but the Cubs at least kept it close. Let's win a few at Wrigley!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Who starts game 3 for LA?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

It's easy to blame the bullpen or whatever but if the offense was working it wouldn't even matter.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Niwrad posted:

I think they said Darvish on the radio

also Joe Maddon has been taking lessons from Mike Matheny and I'm glad of it

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuu

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That may have been the best postseason game I’ve seen live, holy gently caress

Your Taint posted:

Well bawfuls I hope you enjoy the WS. It's pretty drat awesome.
Dodger were 2 wins away last year too, definitely not time to count chickens yet

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Dodger were 2 wins away last year too, definitely not time to count chickens yet

drat son. Lucky man!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Maybe this year you'll get to match my best one live :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icvoo_Mzwic

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Darvish

And Wood in game 4

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
That fan in Centerfield made a hell of a catch.

The Cubs fans here should chill considering they went toe to toe with the best team in Baseball with an old dude pitching on three days rest

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Maybe this year you'll get to match my best one live :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icvoo_Mzwic

I'm still screaming "We did it! We did it!"

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Bilirubin posted:

There were a hell of a lot of Cubs fans in Cleveland

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bilirubin posted:

I'm 99% sure that's me doing the screaming based on the sound of my voice, but that moment was such a blur I don't actually remember. As soon as I turned the camera off, I buried my head in Poque's shoulder and started bawling.

Sab0921 posted:

There were a hell of a lot of Cubs fans in Cleveland

The Ricketts gave all Cubs front-office employees and a plus-one tickets to all four games in Cleveland, including chartered 747 flights, hotel, and stipend. We took up 2 sections. Every time you heard a Cubs chant start in Cleveland, it was by our 2 sections, then the Cubs fans scattered around the stadium joined in.

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 16, 2017

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Playing three in a row at Wrigley terrifies me.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Playing three in a row at Wrigley terrifies me.

ah yes the fearsome bats of the chicago cubs

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

ah yes the fearsome bats of the chicago cubs

I'm not trying to flatter; every time Rizzo or Bryant is up there I still have flashbacks from last year and get tense. It's a mystery why they're not performing better this time around.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Cup of Hemlock posted:

I'm not trying to flatter; every time Rizzo or Bryant is up there I still have flashbacks from last year and get tense. It's a mystery why they're not performing better this time around.

Cubs used up all their magic winning last year’s WS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beller
Apr 9, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/917709075999272960

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2016/4/12/11401508/statcast-data-perceived-velocity-vs-actual-velocity

• Locked thread