Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Anyone check out The Haunting of Bly Manor yet? How is it compared to Hill House?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dazerbeams posted:

Anyone check out The Haunting of Bly Manor yet? How is it compared to Hill House?

Yeah I watched it a few days ago and it was fine. It has a Hobbit problem where they adopted a short novel into an 8 hour miniseries so it gets pretty slow in places.

It's set in the 1980s but doesn't seem to be trying to cash in on 80s nostalgia because the only sign of it some subtle fashion choices. The mansion has no movies, no tv, no video games, no computers, not even a radio. It gives the place a real sense of isolation without being too old fashioned. It seems sort of timeless, with the kids feeling like they could have just stepped out of victorian times, while the staff are all diverse and modern.

I'd say not as good as Hill House, but still a spooky good time.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

fauna posted:

thank the lord those guys who used to do those awful parody movies in like 2005 aren’t active anymore or we would have ended up with something called “the bvitch” where the goat raps

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Rewatched Session 9, still hit home, very atmospheric and limited gore (I am not a fan of blood n guts AT ALL, so 90pc of horror is off the table). Creepy and sad and worth a rewatch because context means you see things you missed first time round. (Like the static that rises and falls like speech. Effectively creepy).

Rewatched The Conjuring. They did good work with the relationships and some of the scares are fun (I'm particularly fond of the bedsheet ghost) but man, that dialogue. Vera Farmiga got the worst of it (all her evil witch / bethsheba exposition!) It also goes on way too long.

The Binding - Spanish with dubs. Good atmosphere, nicely creepy, I liked that a lot of the characters were morally grey and not plain evil preying on the innocent. Most of the good work was undone by the end but that's standard for spooky movies.

Cruel Peter. I kinda dug this one despite its faults. Beautiful scenery, cut price Richard Armitage, some good spooky scenes,( fuckin terrible child actors but hey aren't they all, ) some yukky gore at the end. Kind of went oooh spooky spooky ghosts, oh poo poo uh, magic and EXORCISM yeah? Yeah!

Bly Manor. Fuckin yawn, I swear to god. I am the easiest mark for spooky movies and I was *bored* by everyone except Hannah and Owen. Just did not grip me at all, I could barely make out any background ghosts because the film was so fuckin dark, and the story was soap opera level 'haunted by your past loves'. Bah, big disappointment.

Dead Silence: lol, I made it ten minutes before moping out, reading the wiki and knowing I had made the right decision.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
In last nights Scream Stream we watched In the Mouth of Madness and Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning. The whole theme this year is movies that were hated by critics.

In the Mouth of Madness was great. Sam Neil is awesome in everything and the movie is a slow devolution into... well... madness. Sam is investigating a writer who makes these books that make people crazy and it goes downhill the more he learns. I recommend it.

F13 part 5 was another Jason movie. It's not my favorite but I still like it. I like all of them to be honest. I think my favorite is Jason Takes Manhattan but there's so many to choose from. This one is in like a halfway house and Tommy Jarvis is suffering from bad PTSD and then ol' Jason comes along and he has to deal with it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I watched Hereditary at home, then Midsommar in theatres and while I liked both movies, I ultimately thought Ari Aster's debut was was better than his sophomore film. Meanwhile, I had the exact opposite experience with The VVitch and The Lighthouse. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the former quite a lot, but the latter became one of my absolute favourite movies. I'm not sure it's *exactly* horror though, but still probably close enough to watch this month.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Sloth Life posted:

Rewatched Session 9, still hit home, very atmospheric and limited gore (I am not a fan of blood n guts AT ALL, so 90pc of horror is off the table). Creepy and sad and worth a rewatch because context means you see things you missed first time round. (Like the static that rises and falls like speech. Effectively creepy).

Big ups to Silent Hill 3 for turning me onto this movie many, many years ago.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah I watched it a few days ago and it was fine. It has a Hobbit problem where they adopted a short novel into an 8 hour miniseries so it gets pretty slow in places.

It's set in the 1980s but doesn't seem to be trying to cash in on 80s nostalgia because the only sign of it some subtle fashion choices. The mansion has no movies, no tv, no video games, no computers, not even a radio. It gives the place a real sense of isolation without being too old fashioned. It seems sort of timeless, with the kids feeling like they could have just stepped out of victorian times, while the staff are all diverse and modern.

I'd say not as good as Hill House, but still a spooky good time.

:same:

The origin story episode really creeped me out.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
am1200

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sloth Life posted:

Bly Manor. Fuckin yawn, I swear to god. I am the easiest mark for spooky movies and I was *bored* by everyone except Hannah and Owen. Just did not grip me at all, I could barely make out any background ghosts because the film was so fuckin dark, and the story was soap opera level 'haunted by your past loves'. Bah, big disappointment.

The foundational horror in Bly Manor is dementia, not ghosts. They even spell this out by giving Owen's mom dementia so there is a RL human anchor on the fear and despair that comes from losing someone you love, or losing yourself, bit by bit to dementia. Everything else is built on that, so if that's not a fear you have then the rest isn't going to land.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I just re-watched The Conjuring. I didn't notice the first time, but that ghost/demon/witch totally punked them.

Halfway through the exorcism the possessed mom takes off, tries to kill a kid, then vomits out the possession goo. Yay, she's not possessed anymore! Everyone is smiling and happy and the movie is over. But they never finished the exorcism. The demon/witch/ghost wasn't kicked off the property and is presumably still there along with all the other ghosts. She might not torment this family again since they would know who to call, but nothing stops her from just waiting until a new family moves in. Or going and haunting any of the other homes built on the 200 acres she considers her land.

And what good did taking the toy do? As far as we see only one of the minor auxiliary ghosts has any connection to that toy.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I just watched Hereditary and holy gently caress it might rival The Witch as the best horror film of the last 30 years.

I just finished watching this, and I'm still kind of reeling from it.

15 minutes in, and I think "Oh, typical haunted family sort of thing, ho hum...", then suddenly: :guillotine:
The movie then takes a hard left turn into poo poo's Gone Fucky Land, and hammers on the gas. Very fuckin' weird and creepy without relying on gore and cheap jump scares.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I just started Bly Manor and binged through to Episode 6 and have had to take a break because I couldn't stop laughing when halfway through the scene where the dad is figuring out the kids aren't his I finally realised he was Garth loving Marenghi and it kind of spoiled the moment.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 18, 2020

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Lemon posted:

I just started Bly Manor and binged through to Episode 6 and have had to take a break because I couldn't stop laughing when halfway through the scene where the dad is figuring out the kids aren't his I finally realised he was Garth loving Marenghi and it kind of spoiled the moment.

You just sold me on watching this show, which I had little to no interest in before this.

This weekend we watched November, an Estonian film which was interesting to say the least. It's beautiful to look at, suitably weird (the first scene is one of the most insane things I've ever seen), and incorporates a lot of really cool Estonian folklore into the world. But I didn't really like it as a whole, and caught myself dozing off once or twice. I highly suggest you watch the first 5-10 minutes on youtube or something, though. But the plot basically boils down to girl loves boy, boy loves another girl, boy summons a spirit into a snowman to get advice on courting a girl, ghostly relatives return from the grave and turn into giant chickens in a sauna.

On the list for tonight is Critters, the best of the Gremlins knockoffs.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Just watched an anthology horror movie called Tales From the Crib: American Nightmares that felt like a better sequel to Tales From the Hood than the actual sequel. It even has Clarence Williams III in it, but he’s not the horror host this time around. Danny Trejo enjoys that honor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StgB2j2vUTM

Steaming on Tubi

This looks great!

I happened to work on the sequel to Tales From the Hood! I was in the art dept. I’m disappointed with how it turned out, but it was a fun production to be on. And I’ll take any job near New Orleans, I don’t care how bad it is.

At one point, we were on a plantation near Plaquemines Parish, and we had all these black jeeps that we skinned with huge KLAN PATROL graphics. Them some jackass parked them all alongside the road so everybody driving past could see.

My favorite bit was tossing bloody gollywog dolls out of a pregnant woman who got her comeuppance for the sin of fetishizing black people.

We also shot a huge scene, the climax of the movie and the best vignette- then the studio canned it because none of the execs bothered to read the script, and we had to do a terrible rushed reshoot in a day.

The scene involved lazering Donald Trump in half and apparently you can’t do that?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

You just sold me on watching this show, which I had little to no interest in before this.

Well, I just finished it off and I would say it's not worth it. It was enjoyable up until the last two episodes and then everything just collapsed in a big wet fart.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

How! posted:

This looks great!

I happened to work on the sequel to Tales From the Hood! I was in the art dept. I’m disappointed with how it turned out, but it was a fun production to be on. And I’ll take any job near New Orleans, I don’t care how bad it is.

At one point, we were on a plantation near Plaquemines Parish, and we had all these black jeeps that we skinned with huge KLAN PATROL graphics. Them some jackass parked them all alongside the road so everybody driving past could see.

My favorite bit was tossing bloody gollywog dolls out of a pregnant woman who got her comeuppance for the sin of fetishizing black people.

We also shot a huge scene, the climax of the movie and the best vignette- then the studio canned it because none of the execs bothered to read the script, and we had to do a terrible rushed reshoot in a day.

The scene involved lazering Donald Trump in half and apparently you can’t do that?

Did you by any chance get to meet Keith David? He rules in everything I've ever seen him in and I like to imagine he's the same way off-screen, too.

And wait - like the actual Trump got lasered or the Dumass Beach guy in the movie? And so him in the casket at the end was just a reshoot?

It wasn't a GREAT movie or anything but it's still cool as hell to hear this stuff.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Dazerbeams posted:

I found Hill House incredibly boring up until the last 2-3 episodes. Bly Manor was more interesting but had a less satisfying conclusion.

I feel like a lot of Netflix's releases this half of 2020 have been pretty lackluster. Ratched was a loving mess.

(edit)

As a minor note, the guy who plays Owen in Bly Manor voiced Fahz in Gears 5 and that was mildly distracting. If you don't play Gears 5, this will have zero impact to your viewing experience.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 19, 2020

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

13Pandora13 posted:

I found Hill House incredibly boring up until the last 2-3 episodes. Bly Manor was more interesting but had a less satisfying conclusion.

I feel like a lot of Netflix's releases this half of 2020 have been pretty lackluster. Ratched was a loving mess.

(edit)

As a minor note, the guy who plays Owen in Bly Manor voiced Fahz in Gears 5 and that was mildly distracting. If you don't play Gears 5, this will have zero impact to your viewing experience.

He was also a main character on iZombie.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Facebook Aunt posted:

He was also a main character on iZombie.

That's less distracting though, because Dr. Chakrabarti isn't balls to the wall stupid like Fahz is.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Critters is kind of a Gremlins knockoff (although it was supposedly written first), but it's also pretty fun. I think everybody knows the basic story, and you probably remember the giant ball of Krites from the 2nd one. But the first one is a relatively low-key "horror" movie with some fun special effects.

I laughed out loud at two scenes - one where Dee Wallace blows away a Krite with a shotgun, prompting the other one to scream out "gently caress!". And when the Krites blow up the house at the end of the movie, presumably just because they're assholes who were pissed off.

The movie could have used more Billy Zane (including the gory death that was cut out of the finished movie) but it's still got a TON of people that you'll recognize from other movies. The dialogue is fun, the special effects are good, and it's like 85 minutes long. A very nice B horror movie.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've watched a ton of horror movies with my GF lately and I've found that shudder is really worth it, so I'm gonna list some stuff we watched lately that I'd recommend to others without reservation

The Mortuary Collection: Legit the best horror anthology I've seen in ages. Self-aware and creative while still sticking to familiar tropes, high budget but with great set design and a minimum of CGI. Includes a meticulously modeled exploding dick.
Dead Pit An old low-budget 80s demon zombie doctor movie thing. Oodles of fun and really creative within the parameters of it's piecemeal budget. I can't recommend this one strongly enough if you like 80s cheese but with a little bit of a unique Re-Animator style tweak.
From Beyond: Probably everyone ITT has seen this but I loved it. So many fun practical effects, such a great version of a great Lovecraft story, powerhouse Jeffrrey Combs with a prehensile pineal gland. 10/10.
The Host (2020): This was a major surprise to me - it's set on a Zoom call where the friends talking to each other are attacked by some kind of ghostly entity, and the entire movie is done in a zoom call bottle, but it does an absolutely awesome job with the premise that is both kind of scary and just generally well executed. It's only on Shudder (and probably putlocker) and it's really, really good.
Cabin Fever 1+2: Everyone has probably seen these too but the first one is a really good twist on a couple of different genres and the second one is stupid but fun.
The Church: Great gothic horror about a German church cursed by devil worshippers from the middle ages, with some weird gross out scenes and some great "trapped in a dangerous place with a group of strangers" stuff going on. Top marks for including medieval beekeeping masks.
Masque of Red Death: Vincent Price!
Sheitan: Ridiculous French movie about a village full of inbred rural satan worshippers and their trashy Parisian club-kid houseguests. Really fun and weird, kind of defies description, can be streamed free on effedupmovies.
Lord of Illusions: Fun Clive Barker early 90s Cthonic body horror stuff, has some fun set pieces and I like the scary magician cultist angle. Extra marks for including people getting buried in magic quicksand.
The Cleansing Hour: This was another Shudder original that came as a bit of a surprise to me. It's about a fake priest who streams fake exorcisms using actors on youtube and has done pretty well doing it, but (obviously), they end up encountering a real demon on their livestream and everything gets all gory. Has a neat little secondary plotthread that resolves at the end and is a lot of fun even if it wasn't super well written.
Sleepaway Camp: Another you've probably all seen but sort of the platonic ideal of the b-movie 80s slasher with a major twist that is bizarre and borderline offensive by modern standards.

The one that I'd recommend most highly though is La Llorona, also on Shudder. One of the best horror movies I've ever seen, it's a slow burn and doesn't have that many actual scary moments, but the subject matter is incredibly thought-provoking and disturbing, the style is incredibly authentic - it was actually written, produced, and filmed in Guatemala and features a ton of indigenous actors speaking a Mayan language. It's basically about the supernatural consequences of participating in ethnic cleansing and genocide and contrasts the comfort and privilege of the callous white colonial elite associated with the military juntas with the privation and righteous vengeance felt by indigenous survivors of genocide. It's a powerful, smart, well-written movie with top-notch cinematography and great pacing. If you watch one horror movie this year it should really, really be La Llorona

We've watched a lot more than these since we've both been WFH and quarantining but these are all the ones that came to mind from the last month or so.

Also, honorable mention: The Houses October Built 2. Exceptionally stupid movie with a really stupid ending, but it's fun gimmick is that 90% of it is just the filmmakers going to actual popular haunted houses and filming it, so it's a fun insight into what popular high-budget haunted houses are like for people like me who would never go to a haunted house because they're sucky and unfun.

ed: we've also been going through the original Tales From the Crypt TV show on putlocker (sucks you can't stream it legit anywhere, not even HBO) and it's mostly stupid, to be honest, but it's had some really great actors in it and I'm looking forward to it finding it's feet.

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 20, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

WNUF Halloween Special
The first Paranormal Activity and PA3 are both good
Taking of Deborah Logan
Hell House, LLC
Lake Mungo
Trollhunter (not exactly horror but it's so good)
Host (the new one on Shudder that's filmed through Zoom)

I watched the WNUF halloween special with my GF the other night and I have to say I'd be a lot less forgiving if I didn't know it was put together on $1500. the advertisements constituting nearly half the movie (and being entirely stock footage) very nearly killed it but it was still such a clever way to put together a movie and actually make it work that I think it deserves some props.

I'm gonna check out Lake Mungo, that's the only one on this list I haven't seen but I dug all the others (Hell House was fun but the second one was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time, the millionaire backer guy's scar kept shifting around and changing composition)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Frog Act posted:

The one that I'd recommend most highly though is La Llorona, also on Shudder. One of the best horror movies I've ever seen, it's a slow burn and doesn't have that many actual scary moments, but the subject matter is incredibly thought-provoking and disturbing, the style is incredibly authentic - it was actually written, produced, and filmed in Guatemala and features a ton of indigenous actors speaking a Mayan language. It's basically about the supernatural consequences of participating in ethnic cleansing and genocide and contrasts the comfort and privilege of the callous white colonial elite associated with the military juntas with the privation and righteous vengeance felt by indigenous survivors of genocide. It's a powerful, smart, well-written movie with top-notch cinematography and great pacing. If you watch one horror movie this year it should really, really be La Llorona

I would also highly recommend La Llorona.
Not to be confused with The Curse of La Lloraona

How!
Oct 29, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

Did you by any chance get to meet Keith David? He rules in everything I've ever seen him in and I like to imagine he's the same way off-screen, too.

And wait - like the actual Trump got lasered or the Dumass Beach guy in the movie? And so him in the casket at the end was just a reshoot?

It wasn't a GREAT movie or anything but it's still cool as hell to hear this stuff.

Yeah- Keith David is every bit as cool in real life. He loves to improvise, and it’s a treat to watch him work. He kept his costume and props. That voice of his is something else.

It wasn’t actual Trump- but the similarities were much greater. The characters name was still Dumass Beach though.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Last night we watched Night of the Creeps, which is amazing. This is a movie that starts in outer space, then quickly goes to "SORORITY ROW 1959" in black and white, then to 1986. It also includes the amazing Tom Atkins in perhaps his best role as Detective Ray Cameron.

The special effects are INCREDIBLY cool, except for the fact that (at least on my blu ray and playing it on my projector) you absolutely can see every single string they use to move the Creeps around. But everything else looks so good, especially the reanimated axeman, both the "Dream" version Ray sees that has human eyes, and the "Real" one with just a skull face

It's funny, it's gory, and it's one of the rare horror movies where you like all of the main characters.

Ray is cool as hell and tragic (this might be the first movie I saw as a kid where a main character was trying to kill themselves), Chris and Cynthia are fun and have good chemistry, and JC is funny and will absolutely break your heart once or twice.

To quote Detective Cameron, thrill me.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Blasted through 3 movies yesterday.

Hereditary - Oh, it's more of a family drama, I guess it's going to be ghosts stu- OMG this is not what I expected :unsmigghh:

A Dark Song - someone said it's the best representation of magic they've seen, and I agree. Magic is studying and hard work.

Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum - Korean YouTuber takes his team to investigate an abandoned asylum. Really well done, a little heavy on the webcast effects early on (simulating lag, signal loss etc) but does the found footage bit really well.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watched Vampire Dog last night. Ten minutes in I thought I discovered an overlooked Norm MacDonald classic. An hour in I realized I did not.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

a mysterious cloak posted:

Blasted through 3 movies yesterday.

Hereditary - Oh, it's more of a family drama, I guess it's going to be ghosts stu- OMG this is not what I expected :unsmigghh:

A Dark Song - someone said it's the best representation of magic they've seen, and I agree. Magic is studying and hard work.

Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum - Korean YouTuber takes his team to investigate an abandoned asylum. Really well done, a little heavy on the webcast effects early on (simulating lag, signal loss etc) but does the found footage bit really well.

Hereditary is still one of the most mind-blowing theater experiences I've ever had. From the trailer I thought the grandma died, possessed the daughter, and we were gonna get a well-done but predictable creepy possessed kid movie.

As soon as THAT scene happened the audience was in shock, a couple of gasps, couple screams, mostly just dead silence. I was so thrown off-guard that I was freaked out for the rest of the movie, expecting pure insanity to hit at any moment. Which it completely does.

I own the blu ray but it's a movie that you need to be in the right headspace for. I also suggest watching like, some MST3K or maybe some videos of puppies afterwards.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
yeah that scene in Hereditary is one of the single most memorable moments i can think of in movies period. Never has my view of a movie shifted so thoroughly and rapidly.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I was so tense when the son drove home. A really well executed scene.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
whoops, wrong thread

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Mandy loving rules.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Gaunab posted:

I was so tense when the son drove home. A really well executed scene.

For sure. Is he going to say something? What will he say? Can he see?

Watched Bottom of the World last night. :stare:

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The best part about watching Hereditary in the cinema was that shot near the end where the son is sitting on the edge of his bed and you can just about see the mother on the wall behind him.

It was great that the shot was held so long because I spotted it after a second or so, then got to enjoy hearing a series of gasps/reactions across the theater as other people did too.

Also, as the child of an Irish parent, I think Gabriel Byrne perfectly captured the way that a diluted accent immediately comes back in full during moments of high emotion.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Bump... in the night

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Nightmare on Elm Street marathon on SyFy right now. I've been watching a few hours of it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Stay safe out on them spooky streets goons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whc7IS94s1k

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Just watched The Conjuring. That's an excellent movie! My wife screamed several times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
bump