Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

adamj1982 posted:

So what is the difference in IMAX vs. regular theater films? I don't have an IMAX theater near me, so have never been.

IMAX are basically the theater's "high end" screen. Bigger than average screen and better than average sound system. At least, that's been my experience with my local movie theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

adamj1982 posted:

So what is the difference in IMAX vs. regular theater films? I don't have an IMAX theater near me, so have never been.

Like I said earlier, IMAX used to be loving gigantic, and those screens are still around, but now there's a bunch of slightly larger than average screen that call themselves IMAX, Here's the difference between the 2

And here's a comparison to normal theaters

Both images are taken from http://www.daveonfilm.com/screen-size-does-matter-with-imax-movies-8908.html

If it's a multiplex that has both normal and "IMAX" screens, it's going to be the smaller version.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Maybe you have one of those little shrinky-dink IMAXes but ours is way more than a "high end" screen, it's this ginormous wall with a tiny square of seats at the bottom and it totally dominates your field of vision.

edit: yeah, like that. We were lucky enough to get a proper IMAX built across from our multiplex back when they'd still show poo poo like, you know, Climbing Everest or whatever (it's where I saw Speed Racer, which was mindmelting).

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 11, 2012

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Skwirl posted:

Like I said earlier, IMAX used to be loving gigantic, and those screens are still around, but now there's a bunch of slightly larger than average screen that call themselves IMAX, Here's the difference between the 2

And here's a comparison to normal theaters

Both images are taken from http://www.daveonfilm.com/screen-size-does-matter-with-imax-movies-8908.html

If it's a multiplex that has both normal and "IMAX" screens, it's going to be the smaller version.

The last illustration is complete bullocks and doesn't make a lick of sense.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I have decided that the only difference between London and Glasgow IMAX is the seating, Glasgow rules. The scenes shot with IMAX cameras (mainly cityscapes!) take up your full field of vision & induce motion sickness, diarrhea and in some extreme cases, pregnancy.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
There's also the fact that film shot for IMAX specifically uses a vastly larger film stock which allows an absurd amount of detail.

This goes through it pretty well: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/imax1.htm

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone know anything about Lawrence of Arabia being in theaters in 70mm this year?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AlternateAccount posted:

There's also the fact that film shot for IMAX specifically uses a vastly larger film stock which allows an absurd amount of detail.

This goes through it pretty well: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/imax1.htm

When was this written? It mentions that there are only two IMAX cameras in the world, while during the filming of The Dark Knight they started out with four, and I know this because the commentary track mentions that at the end of filming there were 3- they accidentally destroyed one while filming the Lower Wacker Drive chase sequence.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone know anything about Lawrence of Arabia being in theaters in 70mm this year?

Isn't it coming out in December for the film's fiftieth anniversary?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oct 4, last I heard, but I guess theater locations are TBA.

OutdoorMiner
Nov 7, 2009
Just watched Citizen Kane again after not having seen it for a long time. Hope this isn't a stupid question, but I still don't understand why his mother gave him away? And why to Mr. Thatcher specifically?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

OutdoorMiner posted:

Just watched Citizen Kane again after not having seen it for a long time. Hope this isn't a stupid question, but I still don't understand why his mother gave him away? And why to Mr. Thatcher specifically?

Thatcher wanted to buy the gold mine Mrs. Kane accidentally inherited (the Colorado lode), and the terms of the deal required him to take on her son Charles so that he would get away from his deadbeat father and have a shot at being an important man.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Literally adopted by a corporation.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait, are you saying that IMAX is shot on a larger stock than than normal 70mm films? It uses the same 65mm stock, just run sideways. Since the width of the stock constrains the vertical instead of the horizontal dimensions, each frame can use much more celluloid. (This is also exactly how your link describes it).

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 14, 2012

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

gently caress. Double post.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bugblatter posted:

Wait, are you saying that IMAX is shot on a larger stock than than normal 70mm films? It uses the same 65mm stock, just run sideways. Since the width of the stock constrains the vertical instead of the horizontal dimensions, each frame can use much more celluloid. (This is also exactly how your link describes it).

But doesn't the aperture and the framing use a much larger portion of negative for each frame?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

But doesn't the aperture and the framing use a much larger portion of negative for each frame?

The frame is larger, because the film is run sideways, like I said. The stock is the same though. I'm not sure what you mean regarding aperture... You do use smaller apertures (larger f-stops) with larger formats though, to compensate for the depth of field lost in the longer lenses. Is that what you meant?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's been announced that Raiders will be re-released in IMAX. I thought the film was shot in 35mm? Is there any benefit to seeing it in IMAX other than OMG HUGE?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Steve Yun posted:

It's been announced that Raiders will be re-released in IMAX. I thought the film was shot in 35mm? Is there any benefit to seeing it in IMAX other than OMG HUGE?

It isn't going to be in 3d is it?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I don't think there's an equivalent TV IV thread so I figure I'd best ask here. I want to watch The Prisoner (the original) but I'm getting caught up in the different orders to watch it in. Does it make a huge difference what order I use? Or is that only for really hardcore Prisoner fans? What do you lot recommend?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I don't think there's an equivalent TV IV thread so I figure I'd best ask here. I want to watch The Prisoner (the original) but I'm getting caught up in the different orders to watch it in. Does it make a huge difference what order I use? Or is that only for really hardcore Prisoner fans? What do you lot recommend?

Just go with the order that is on the dvd. I do not remember there being any problems and if there are they are very minor.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cymbal Monkey posted:

The order doesn't make a lot of difference, there's very little continuity beyond the premise and enough deliberate weirdness that you won't even notice minor cross-episode errors. The important parts of the order are that "Arrival" is first, "The General" is immediately after "A, B, and C", and "Once Upon a Time" and "Fallout" are last, and the DVD set is structured that way anyway.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 22, 2012

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Can anyone else with the old, 2-sided Goodfellas dvd confirm that it is not (despite what the box claims), enhanced for widescreen tv? On my 16:9 television set I can only get it pillarboxed. Having to flip the disc halfway through is annoying enough, but if I can't watch it in any better video quality than this I'll definitely just go get a newer version.

edit: Watching anyway and the whole supporting cast of the Sopranos is here. Not surprising, but still fun.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 24, 2012

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Can anyone else with the old, 2-sided Goodfellas dvd confirm that it is not (despite what the box claims), enhanced for widescreen tv? On my 16:9 television set I can only get it pillarboxed. Having to flip the disc halfway through is annoying enough, but if I can't watch it in any better video quality than this I'll definitely just go get a newer version.

edit: Watching anyway and the whole supporting cast of the Sopranos is here. Not surprising, but still fun.

It's non-anamorphic widescreen, taken from the transfer made for the 1991 laserdisc. Not bad for its time, but doesn't hold a chance against the awesome remaster on the Blu-Ray (which was supervised by Scorsese).

forsakenfuture
Apr 13, 2010

I am currently watching the first Total Recall for the first time and Quaid just made the statement "clever girl" . Was Muldoons "clever girl" in Jurassic Park a reference to this?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I saw a movie in a double feature with "Time Walker" at a drive-in in Oklahoma in the early 80s (or late 70s), and I'd like to remember the name. In the movie there are some aliens from a crashed UFO or something that the government is trying to track down, and the protagonist is trying to get them to safety. The aliens look like the typical gray aliens. There are two details I can remember that might be helpful. The first is that the aliens kill or incapacitate some people by touching them on the neck with their fingertip, which caused a hissing noise. This scared the poo poo out of me when I saw it. The other thing is that the government tells the media that the protagonists kidnapped contagious sick children as a cover story for the existence of the aliens.

I remember seeing commercials for the movie on TV before seeing it, so it was a fairly big release.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where did the term "cliffhanger" originate? Was someone in an old timey movie left hanging from a cliff at the end of a movier and the term just stuck?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Where did the term "cliffhanger" originate? Was someone in an old timey movie left hanging from a cliff at the end of a movier and the term just stuck?
Actually, it's believed the term originated with a book called "A Pair of Blue Eyes". Since a lot of books were published chapter by chapter in magazines at the time, they tended to employ cliffhangers a lot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Doctor Who did do that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw6OwJQDCoM

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I saw a movie in a double feature with "Time Walker" at a drive-in in Oklahoma in the early 80s (or late 70s), and I'd like to remember the name. In the movie there are some aliens from a crashed UFO or something that the government is trying to track down, and the protagonist is trying to get them to safety. The aliens look like the typical gray aliens. There are two details I can remember that might be helpful. The first is that the aliens kill or incapacitate some people by touching them on the neck with their fingertip, which caused a hissing noise. This scared the poo poo out of me when I saw it. The other thing is that the government tells the media that the protagonists kidnapped contagious sick children as a cover story for the existence of the aliens.

I remember seeing commercials for the movie on TV before seeing it, so it was a fairly big release.

This would be the thread you want here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344 its the identify a movie thread.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

kuddles posted:

Actually, it's believed the term originated with a book called "A Pair of Blue Eyes". Since a lot of books were published chapter by chapter in magazines at the time, they tended to employ cliffhangers a lot.

Another theory is that it referred to The Perils of Pauline, a 1914 action serial which was shot around the New Jersey Palisades. They figure at least one of 'em had to have Pauline hanging off those cliffs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Does anyone know if they're actually planning on releasing John Dies at the End? I heard something about it playing at a film festival earlier in the year but other than that nothing.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

muscles like this? posted:

Does anyone know if they're actually planning on releasing John Dies at the End? I heard something about it playing at a film festival earlier in the year but other than that nothing.

It just got picked up this week by Magnet releasing. They're saying VOD this December, with a limited theatrical run in early 2013. No word yet on DVD release.

Edit: According to the JDaTE Facebook and an article I saw on IMDB a few days ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wild T posted:

It just got picked up this week by Magnet releasing. They're saying VOD this December, with a limited theatrical run in early 2013. No word yet on DVD release.

Edit: According to the JDaTE Facebook and an article I saw on IMDB a few days ago.

Good to know, I was just reminded of it because I saw that the sequel to the book comes out in October.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In the recent Thor, did Loki ever intend for Odin to die? I read it as he intended Odin to be killed but then changed his plan when he saw Thor in Asgard.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

euphronius posted:

In the recent Thor, did Loki ever intend for Odin to die? I read it as he intended Odin to be killed but then changed his plan when he saw Thor in Asgard.

No, his whole plan after he found out he was adopted was to goad/convince the Frost Giants into attacking Asgard so that Loki could retaliate and destroy them, so when Odin comes out of his sleep he thinks that Loki did a heroic thing and was worthy of being his 'real' son (and probably inherit the kingdom instead of Thor).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

No, his whole plan after he found out he was adopted was to goad/convince the Frost Giants into attacking Asgard so that Loki could retaliate and destroy them, so when Odin comes out of his sleep he thinks that Loki did a heroic thing and was worthy of being his 'real' son (and probably inherit the kingdom instead of Thor).

SO much more interesting than Loki in the Avengers.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

In Avengers he's still got the same end goal - prove to daddy how cool he is.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Why didn't Woody Allen direct Play It Again, Sam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Are any of these Troma films worth watching: http://www.youtube.com/tromamovies?