Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

re: earpro

Just got this setup and it really does work great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I want a light that I can fix onto my bandsaw to illuminate the cutting area, which otherwise tends to be somewhat in shadow. The difficulty is that the light pretty much needs to mount to the underside of the top wheel (which is a confined space and close to the sawblade), or else to have a flexible arm so that the light can be carefully aimed. Otherwise it'll just light up an area next to the cut instead of the cut itself; not very helpful.

I think my ideal solution would be something that's battery-powered (rechargeable, naturally) and mounts securely with magnets. Any recommendations? I've been using my LED work light, which has a magnetic mount on the back, but it has a tendency to rotate about its mount point, which isn't great when there's a sawblade whizzing past an inch or two away.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
There are lots of magnetic flexible work lights available on Amazon. Some are ac, some batteries. My mother has one similar to this light for her long arm sewing machine. It's good enough for that, but you might get some CA glue and some nice neodymium magnets to make sure it holds. (I love having strong magnets available anyway, they're handy).

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
How about a head lamp? Compatible with ALL of your tools 🤡

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Astonishing Wang posted:

How about a head lamp? Compatible with ALL of your tools

That's one more thing to take on / off while I'm working. I'm frequently shuffling eyes/ears/breathing protection as it is, since I don't want them on while marking/measuring or using hand tools.

EvilBeard posted:

There are lots of magnetic flexible work lights available on Amazon. Some are ac, some batteries. My mother has one similar to this light for her long arm sewing machine. It's good enough for that, but you might get some CA glue and some nice neodymium magnets to make sure it holds. (I love having strong magnets available anyway, they're handy).

Thanks, guess I'll do some shopping around if there isn't a consensus best pick from the thread. And yeah, strong magnets are awesome. I have a magnetic tool bar and its weak magnets are constantly dropping things unless I'm super-careful with it; it's a pain in the rear end. I definitely wouldn't want a weakly-adhered light hanging around my sawblades.

EDIT: now I'm contemplating DIYing it with a strip of 12V LEDs and a lithium battery pack. The advantage there is that the LED strips are flexible and can be glued down, which pretty well guarantees they aren't going anywhere. And a 16' strip of LEDs is $8 with a $23 battery pack, which is cheaper than a lot of integrated battery + LEDs + magnet solutions.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 30, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
for whoever was asking about music and earpro costco has a combo deal on 3m bluetooth earpro with a set of glasses (that are designed to work with the earpro) for 40 bucks:

http://toolguyd.com/costco-tool-deals-holiday-2017/

after debating it for a week i finally pulled the trigger on the table saw and bought the hitachi from lowes for only 300 bucks. not sure if i'll keep the rolling stand or unload it on craigslist, despite being "portable" this probably wont need to leave my garage

i'll post a review and pics after i get it set up

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 1, 2017

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

uwaeve posted:

Having zero experience with those things, I live in New England as well and can’t imagine that thing doing anything to 6” or more of anything but the driest, powderiest snow. Furthermore, even with dry powdery snow you are gonna get the plow cement at the end of your driveways, which I assume that thing will simply burnish into a nice quarter pipe.

Do you already have a snowblower and the room for a supplemental thing like that? It seems like it’d be nice for exactly what you don’t care about : getting every last granule of snow off of walkways, patios, sidewalks, etc.

I think you're right. I'll just go with the snowblower and leave it at that. I got overexcited at getting a $2k piece of equipment for so cheap.

Next question: recommendations for a miter saw. Any you all particularly like/dislike? I'm thinking a 10", single bevel. Would love a laser attachment that isn't poo poo.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I want a light that I can fix onto my bandsaw to illuminate the cutting area, which otherwise tends to be somewhat in shadow. The difficulty is that the light pretty much needs to mount to the underside of the top wheel (which is a confined space and close to the sawblade), or else to have a flexible arm so that the light can be carefully aimed. Otherwise it'll just light up an area next to the cut instead of the cut itself; not very helpful.

I think my ideal solution would be something that's battery-powered (rechargeable, naturally) and mounts securely with magnets. Any recommendations? I've been using my LED work light, which has a magnetic mount on the back, but it has a tendency to rotate about its mount point, which isn't great when there's a sawblade whizzing past an inch or two away.
I have an earlier version of this from Rockler on my bandsaw.

http://www.rockler.com/magnifying-led-work-light

It's not battery powered but that's better for me since It's not unusual for me to forget to turn it off. The one I have has an interchangeable spotlight head, which is the one I use on it.

Mine has a magnetic base so I stick it right on the upper wheel housing. The magnet is very strong and it works very well.

I don't think Rockler sells the version I have any more but perhaps you can find a similar version.

Edit: this is pretty close to what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Stalwart-75-...+light+flexible

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 2, 2017

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
What tools are people picking up/requesting for the holidays?

I asked for the $100 Ryobi Cordless Miter saw which will make it super easy to do quick jobs in the backyard.

And I'm eying this this Ryobi set which was $200 last week though its back to $250 now. If it drops to $200 again I'm thinking I'll buy it and sell off my M18 stuff just to simplify things. The M18 stuff has been overkill for my needs for a while and Ryobi keeps coming out with things which are cheap and interesting like a glue gun and a rolling wet/dry vac and some new brushless stuff.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's an incredible deal for 200, even 250 isn't bad.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

cakesmith handyman posted:

That's an incredible deal for 200, even 250 isn't bad.

Especially because it includes the better compact batteries and the better 'compact' 18V drill. Ryobi's cheaper 18V drill is laughably long.

Edit: Oh interesting this is the one thing I thought Ryobi was missing but now they have it. We have the M12 handheld stick vac and use it like every day.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 2, 2017

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

asdf32 posted:

What tools are people picking up/requesting for the holidays?

I asked for the $100 Ryobi Cordless Miter saw which will make it super easy to do quick jobs in the backyard.

And I'm eying this this Ryobi set which was $200 last week though its back to $250 now. If it drops to $200 again I'm thinking I'll buy it and sell off my M18 stuff just to simplify things. The M18 stuff has been overkill for my needs for a while and Ryobi keeps coming out with things which are cheap and interesting like a glue gun and a rolling wet/dry vac and some new brushless stuff.

That set drops down to $200 fairly often throughout the year. If you can get them to accept a Lowes 10% off coupon it gets even better. I got it last year and have been happy, although I haven't used the multitool yet.

Home Depot runs a lot of deals on Ryobi stuff that can help you expand your tools and/or batteries pretty cheaply. For instance, right now you can buy their Brushless hammer drill for $150 and get a free other tool from this list. They prorate returns so if you return one of the tools, you get the other for much cheaper. For instance you can get the Supercharger + 2 batteries set for $66 + tax this way. That charger without batteries sells for over that price on eBay, so if you sell it you basically just got free batteries.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The other decent ryobi deal right now is the rigid jigsaw head for the multitool. It's marked down to 30 bucks in store if you're wanting a cheap cordless jigsaw.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Especially because it includes the better compact batteries and the better 'compact' 18V drill. Ryobi's cheaper 18V drill is laughably long.

Edit: Oh interesting this is the one thing I thought Ryobi was missing but now they have it. We have the M12 handheld stick vac and use it like every day.

Huh, I don't think we get that over here (like the pistol grip inflator drat you ryobi! :argh: ) so I recently bought a dyson cordless

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there much in it between DeWalt and Makita tools these days? I'm going to need a random orbit sander and a new cordless drill or two, so figure I should stick with one brand. I'm in the UK so no harbor freight unfortunately.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
DeWalt, while usually good, is selling on their name nowadays, and is a subsidiary of a multinational. Makita is owned by Makita.

I'd personally do the Makita, but that doesn't mean DeWalts are bad.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
I'd say, buy the color you like, or rather the brand with the tools available that you think you will need. And if you are anal (who am I kidding), read reviews of those tools that you foresee purchasing in the future, before deciding on the brand.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Milwaukee tools are becoming reasonably priced in the UK, but we don't get the whole range over here. Of those two I'd choose Makita for quality, Dewalt for wider choice.

But I have ryobi, so ignore me.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Hitachi green is actually right in the middle of DeWalt yellow and Makita blue.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to get the drill/driver set with the 5AH batteries and then expand from there as and when it's required - just before I pull the trigger however, how long can I expect these batteries to last (I mean, over the course of the years) - given the abject failing of my previous cordless sets I had considered getting a corded set.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

My makita batteries have been faultless. I know people in the trades with something like 6 year old beat to poo poo 3amps still going strong. I remember AvE examining some battery tech at some point and his conclusion was the the makita setup is more geared towards maximum resilience rather than maximum output.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Excellent, so I don't have to worry that in 5 years time they're going to be unable to hold charge/etc. ? I read that I have to keep them topped up with juice (and this may be why my cheap set has given up the ghost).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In theory the best way to store lithium ion packs is somewhere around 50% charged. You don't want them dead, and you don't want them maxed out.

In practice mine don't seem to mind that much.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Rnr posted:

My makita batteries have been faultless. I know people in the trades with something like 6 year old beat to poo poo 3amps still going strong. I remember AvE examining some battery tech at some point and his conclusion was the the makita setup is more geared towards maximum resilience rather than maximum output.

I had one makita battery in my little starter pack arrive DOA, I was gonna buy a bigger one anyways so it wasn't a huge deal. Man those makita batteries charge fast though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Makita or Milwaukee if you want quality, Ryobi if you want cheap but good. I've got Makita LXT for 18V, and Milwaukee M12. Both are great.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I guess in Spain the name for "duct tape" is just "American tape"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Makita best kita. It's what I personally own, and the pile of Makita tools at the shop have stood up perfectly to years and years of student abuse.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Hitachi green is actually right in the middle of DeWalt yellow and Makita blue.

Makita isn't blue, it's teal

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Makita makes the best corded angle grinders. And has an anti-theft color coating.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Also if you're a real hipster, you can get Makitas overnighted from Japan with all sorts of different colors.

The JDM versions also have slightly smaller grips and some sort of LED and button battery controller thing on the base that I don't understand because the labels are in Japanese.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

Also if you're a real hipster, you can get Makitas overnighted from Japan with all sorts of different colors.

The JDM versions also have slightly smaller grips and some sort of LED and button battery controller thing on the base that I don't understand because the labels are in Japanese.

The battery thing is the 3-speed impact control. My impact wrench has it, but in English. Similar to this: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XDT14Z or https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XST01Z It also shows battery power in a 3-bar graph.

And yes, I'm a big Makita fan:

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I felt pretty good about my makita choice when I went to rent a tool for an afternoon and it was just wall to wall makita.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tres Burritos posted:

I felt pretty good about my makita choice when I went to rent a tool for an afternoon and it was just wall to wall makita.

Thats one of the best indicators of ruggedness imo. If they can stand up to the poo poo treatment that rentals get given, then they will stand up to me using them as intended. Mostly.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

The battery thing is the 3-speed impact control. My impact wrench has it, but in English. Similar to this: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XDT14Z or https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XST01Z It also shows battery power in a 3-bar graph.

And yes, I'm a big Makita fan:

This is pretty great. What do you use to hold the tools? I don't recognize the hangers.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

This is pretty great. What do you use to hold the tools? I don't recognize the hangers.

I believe those are 3D printed parts.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Yeah, that is real nice. I'm keeping it simple - just had an empty board and some hooks of varying length lying around, so I put some of my lxt stuff up there for easy access.

Also featured is plenty of speakers so you can hear what is being said on your podcast, while hammering on poo poo

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

And yes that is indeed a diwilt blade on the recip saw... They just make real good all round demo blades imo

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Checking in on the bandsaw illumination chat from earlier: I went ahead with the DIY approach.

That's a $23 3000mAh battery (attached to the wheel door with Velcro tape) and about 4" from a 16'-long strip of LEDs. I had to get creative with the LED placement: they're adhered onto the underside of the bearing assembly, which should hopefully keep them out of the way of any cuts while still providing illumination.

I'm pretty pleased with the results, though I could have done with a battery that came with a non-forking connector; I think this one is set up the way it is so you can power something and plug into the wall at the same time, but as far as I'm concerned that's just extra clutter.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

SEKCobra posted:

I believe those are 3D printed parts.

Nope. It's 1/2" thick, 3"x3" UHMW angle from McMaster Carr. I buy it in 5' sticks, and cut/drill/modify to fit each tool. 3D printed parts might work, but the UHMW is cheap enough, and very strong and flexible. $40 for a 5' stick, which did most of those mounts. I used a forstner bit and circ saw for most of the mounts, plus a jig to drill 3 holes for mounting. I just laid the plywood out flat and put the tools where I thought they'd fit, then made the mounts hold them there.

The battery boxes are just 1/2" plywood, the shelves are the same with some random oak/pine/maple trim to hold the chargers and whatnot. Lots of pocket screws that you don't see, too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Was gonna say, looks like cutting boards cut up. Thought never crossed my mind you could just buy UHMW plastic straight :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Was gonna say, looks like cutting boards cut up. Thought never crossed my mind you could just buy UHMW plastic straight :v:

I've got all my old cutting boards in a pile, I hack them up regularly for jigs or bearing material. I replace my plastic boards yearly, so there's no shortage of raw material.