Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Duckman2008 posted:

Maybe my memory is off, but I remember Alex def just playing better, but Matt betting everything on a day 2 daily double and losing everything. If he would have gotten the double he could have possibly caught Alex. My wife and I really liked Matt for some reason so that could be coloring my memory.

Another final jeopardy involving the countries of Africa.

Edit: it’s been a long day, I think I’m mixing up a daily double and the final on that African question.
Reviewing J-Archive, you're right, Game 2 was competitive on its own merits; it's just Game 1 where Alex had a runaway going into Final, Matt bet it all to close the gap, and it ended up going really badly for him, landing him in almost a $30k deficit at the start of Game 2. Guy didn't have a chance after that, which is why I remembered the last game of the final being so difficult to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A very good game until the final.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Got the Final :smug:

Thanks, Watchmen.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I cannot believe they didn't make Alex specify the Loman for the first daily double.

Also thoughts and prayers to the former goon contestant who had to relive the Weights & Measures category :smith:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CPColin posted:

Pat Sajak tweets like an rear end in a top hat and still has a job.

I dunno if you noticed, but it's fine if you're a psychotic conservative. Jennings isnt wrong that his twitter would disqualify him.

Also, I'm surprised that Final Jeopardy was a triple stumper. I feel like Blake is just basic English background knowledge.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I found that one pretty easy and I’m fairly bad at English lit. Very surprised it was a triple stumper.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

From Matt's Facebook page it sounds like it stumped some of the Brad/Ken people too:

quote:

As you saw at the end of Wednesday's episode, teams were "sequestered" for the quarterfinal match they themselves weren't playing in. So today's wild card game was the first match that Monica, Ken Jennings, Team Brad, and I got to watch live in the studio, while the tapings were ongoing. Several of us tried to "practice" solving this game's Final individually as we watched.

From what I gather of some chat amongst us after the game, Monica got Final very quickly, cycling through Jungle Book animals until she reached Shere Khan, then immediately connecting that fictional tiger to the poetic line "Tyger, Tyger...". Brad and I each took about 25 seconds of the Think music to get to it (I was trying to walk backwards from The Jungle Book ~1900 through a timeline of British poets and got stuck for a while on "Half a league, half a league,...", even though that's a triple-talk phrase, not a double-talk phrase, and not early enough). I suspect that, had I been playing, I would have had trouble writing down the correct response fast enough to complete it in time.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
It's not like the clue was, "Hey, how does that Blake poem about the tiger start?" There were a lot of hoops beyond knowing that poem. Just saw on Twitter that Ken Jennings didn't get the answer.

If the clue had started out by referencing a poem from that period that was echoed in the title of a Jungle Book chapter, I think a lot more people would've gotten it.

Propaniac fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 1, 2019

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I've read the poem and have seen it referenced a million times. I've only ever seen the Jungle Book animated movie, never read the book.

I couldn't even come close to the answer watching at home, there's no chance I would have gotten it under pressure.

Alan seemed extremely angry at the end - was it just because he didn't get it right? HIs team's still in the lead, so it wasn't THAT big a deal.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

Alan seemed extremely angry at the end - was it just because he didn't get it right? HIs team's still in the lead, so it wasn't THAT big a deal.
his parents are gonna kill him

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zero One posted:

A very good game until the final.

Yeah, Alan looked really pissed off he didn’t get it. I guess he really wanted to give his team a lot more of a cushion going into the next game.

I mean, Colby really turned it on during Double, and I guess he didn’t want to seem to have wasted that. But still, gutsy play wrt the Daily Doubles by Colby and it paid off.

Shame about the Final being a Triple Stumper; I blanked on it as well, even though I really should’ve known Tiger, Tiger. I couldn’t make the connection though.

Team Buzzy going into game 2 with a goose egg, but with how they play, I have no doubt they’ll be able to make it back quickly. Gearing up to be a good game tonight, I think.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 1, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

I've read the poem and have seen it referenced a million times. I've only ever seen the Jungle Book animated movie, never read the book.

I couldn't even come close to the answer watching at home, there's no chance I would have gotten it under pressure.

Alan always seems to put a lot of pressure on himself.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
he seems like he's on the verge of tears half the time, he's an intense dude

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bad, bad wager.

I thought final was easy. Surprised no one got it.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 2, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Missing that daily double was harsh.

Also I can't believe I got FJ right today, as a Canadian. I mean, I wasn't 100% sure 1952 was the right year when I said it, but I knew the correct answer was going to be the year Eisenhower was elected. That should not have been a triple stumper.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

PT6A posted:

Missing that daily double was harsh.
I think "Pulp Fiction" was a triple stumper in a regular season FJ (clue was the Ezekiel misquote) with a couple of older contestants. Tonight when the category first came up and you start pre-compiling likely answers I assumed that's way too easy a soundtrack to reference for a high-level game. I guess it's a pretty easy hole to have for a lot of people if you maybe don't watch that kind of movie and you focus on Best Pictures for study, but I can't believe he blanked on it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

seriously thought the answer to that dj was forrest gump

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

If Colby can save me from Austin AND Buzzy I will be so grateful

THANK YOU BASED COLBYYYYYYYY

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

If Team Colby beats Team Brad or Team Ken I will be shocked.

But Colby is great so I'm happy for them either way.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Cockblocktopus posted:

If Team Colby beats Team Brad or Team Ken I will be shocked.

But Colby is great so I'm happy for them either way.

Yeah, this. I really thought Team Buzzy or Team Austin would be the one advancing, but Team Colby is good in my book as well. Too bad he likely doesn’t have a chance barring more All in Daily Double wagers that don’t work out or whatever.

And man, that was a bad beat on Alex’s DD there. Like, I think if he had more time to think about it, he might’ve gotten it, but he’s been seen stalling out DDs before, and I doubt the judges would’ve given him any more leeway after they all but called him on it during the round he played in the first match where he did the same.

I feel like I would’ve gotten Final had I more time to think about it, but the problem for me was jumping around in years too much. Should’ve gone straight back, but by the time I had gotten to like Nixon, time was pretty much up on the Think! theme.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
If the category were different, Alex's wager would've been somewhat more defensible. But that's a really tricky category and he had already missed two of the clues. He had no right to be confident.

I guessed it because the 1994 movies I could think of were Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction and I knew those songs weren't in Forrest Gump. Yes, I should probably be euthanized for knowing Forrest Gump much better than Pulp Fiction.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I can understand betting the farm on a Daily Double (and the pain of losing all of it LOL) but that was not a category where it was probably a good idea. If he had gotten them all right so far, sure. But there's always final.

I also knew it wasn't Forrest Gump because I was like six at the time and my dad had the soundtrack to Forrest Gump and I can literally still sing basically every single song off it from memory even all those years later. I didn't know what else came out in 1994 though so I guessed Princess Bride LOL.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Alex had one of the best head-to-head showings against Brad of any human competitor during their first(?) game. I think he had one of the best performances of anyone so far. Is he still leading the fantasy league?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cockblocktopus posted:

Alex had one of the best head-to-head showings against Brad of any human competitor during their first(?) game. I think he had one of the best performances of anyone so far. Is he still leading the fantasy league?

Yes, and it's not close:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Propaniac posted:

If the category were different, Alex's wager would've been somewhat more defensible. But that's a really tricky category and he had already missed two of the clues. He had no right to be confident.

I guessed it because the 1994 movies I could think of were Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction and I knew those songs weren't in Forrest Gump. Yes, I should probably be euthanized for knowing Forrest Gump much better than Pulp Fiction.
I almost never talk badly about big Daily Double bets that didn't pan out because I know how probability and statistics work, but wow, that was one of the worst wagers in Jeopardy history

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

I almost never talk badly about big Daily Double bets that didn't pan out because I know how probability and statistics work, but wow, that was one of the worst wagers in Jeopardy history

I mean, it’s Alex Jacob. It’s in his character. Going big into Daily Double waters is kinda to be expected of him. He’s either real ballsy or throws away DDs like he did first match, and stalls the poo poo out of them when he can get away with it.

But yeah, I can see why he did it (in addition to his personality and history, Team Buzzy putting up a goose egg last game probs had something to do with it), but man, did that not work out. A commensurate large but not all in bet would’ve accomplished much the same lead wise if he had hit it and not left him in such a bad position after he negged it instead.

But as I said, I expected him to do something like that because of his character and past history, as did his teammates as evidenced by the bit of the Final Jeopardy betting session with him team that they showed. It just didn’t work out here; but if it had, Team Buzzy likely would’ve been moving on instead of Team Colby.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I felt bad for Alex but Colby is the most likable person playing by a longshot so good for him :toot:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I know people know different things and that dude is way smarter than I am, but not getting that Pulp Fiction question... man. When he bet it all and I saw the question I was like "nailed it, perfect". Then he just didn't answer. How do you not get that!?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

I know people know different things and that dude is way smarter than I am, but not getting that Pulp Fiction question... man. When he bet it all and I saw the question I was like "nailed it, perfect". Then he just didn't answer. How do you not get that!?
Exactly, I don't get why anybody thinks it was a bad bet; he went big on what should be an easy category unless you explicitly know you don't know movies and got a what 90% of high-level players would consider a gimme question, except he just hit some weird lacuna in his knowledge. He's not too old or too young to have seen it. I have to wonder if the clue just listed a different two songs would he get it? I feel like even for the same movie there's clues they could have used like "C'est la Vie"/"Flowers on the Wall" that would have been way harder but honestly not out of line for a champions game.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

But yeah, I can see why he did it (in addition to his personality and history, Team Buzzy putting up a goose egg last game probs had something to do with it),

I didn't realize it until I read this post but everybody on Team Buzzy bet it all and lost everything during the wildcard round.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Exactly, I don't get why anybody thinks it was a bad bet; he went big on what should be an easy category unless you explicitly know you don't know movies and got a what 90% of high-level players would consider a gimme question, except he just hit some weird lacuna in his knowledge. He's not too old or too young to have seen it. I have to wonder if the clue just listed a different two songs would he get it? I feel like even for the same movie there's clues they could have used like "C'est la Vie"/"Flowers on the Wall" that would have been way harder but honestly not out of line for a champions game.

I forgot about Son of a Preacher Man in Pulp Fiction, but those two are clear as a bell for me. Misirlou would've also been a good one, because not too many people know the names of instrumental songs like that.

I mean, the soundtrack in that film was so loving good and iconic that I really feel it was a bit of an easy movie to use for that category, but then again I am a bigger Tarantino fan that the average guy.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Exactly, I don't get why anybody thinks it was a bad bet; he went big on what should be an easy category

How can you think it should be an easy category when you've already missed the two previous clues in that category? To me that makes a huge difference in how reasonable the bet was.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

you shouldn’t let your performance on two questions in a category advise you on how to tackle the others, come on

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I guess the pop culture categories are harder to judge consistency cause it's harder to study like you would for the finer arts, a lot of it is either you've seen/heard something or you haven't.

How hard was the Deadpool one if you've seen the movie?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I didn't get the Deadpool one, but the fact that "mutant" was part of the clue should have tipped off at least somebody that it was going to be a superhero movie and I don't recall any of the guesses fitting that bill.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, and the fact that none of the songs were ABBA ones were a pretty good indicator that it was not going to be Mamma Mia 2.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Vernacular posted:

I didn't get the Deadpool one, but the fact that "mutant" was part of the clue should have tipped off at least somebody that it was going to be a superhero movie and I don't recall any of the guesses fitting that bill.

I had a brain fart on that one, but yeah I was thinking of what X-Men movie was released that year, not Mamma Mia 2.

Unsurprisingly sometimes the really smart people are really bad at pop culture stuff.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

I had a brain fart on that one, but yeah I was thinking of what X-Men movie was released that year, not Mamma Mia 2.

Unsurprisingly sometimes the really smart people are really bad at pop culture stuff.
It undoubtedly gets worse when you've spent the last several months drilling encyclopedias and 100-level college textbooks absorbing facts and avoiding any/all entertainment

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

can we all agree that this is the level of difficulty jeopardy should be set at all times? great questions left and right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Propaniac posted:

How can you think it should be an easy category when you've already missed the two previous clues in that category? To me that makes a huge difference in how reasonable the bet was.

Because the other 90% of the time when Alex makes big bets like that, he hits them; and then Team Buzzy would almost certainly have clinched the spot in the Finals right there and then.

Like, Alex was definitely betting to win, and that’s what he does and why Buzzy put him out there to play Double like that, he knows his track record. Instead, it happens to fall into one of his weird blind spots that all trivia people tend to have, and he missed it instead.

Pretty much every other Jeopardy commentator that has been on the show has remarked that Alex did the right thing there,. Again, if he had hit the True Daily Double, that pretty much would’ve sewn up the match, no matter how Final played out. Unfortunately, it didn’t work for Team Buzzy this time, but Buzzy def knew what he was doing when he sent Alex out for Double, and Alex def has a set of big brass balls to make that play. Like I said, it just didn’t work out this time.

Abel Wingnut posted:

can we all agree that this is the level of difficulty jeopardy should be set at all times? great questions left and right
Yes. While my own correct response accuracy has gone down during this tournament, I’d rather that than some of the piss easy FJs we’ve gotten lately. Sure, getting clues immediately also feels good, but having to work a bit for it also exercises the brain more and ups my enjoyment.