Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

Pretty much. "We broke the yankee scum and brought them to the table like the inferior creatures they are." wouldn't look out of place on the KCNA.

But then what? I can't quite believe that for 30 years the North Korean state has devoted every effort to this single goal, with the intended outcome of getting a single photoshoot out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

They fight naval battles over that line relatively often. No RoK ship is going to think that.

Edit: Let's just say that having periodic fights between surface ships in the area (including one a year prior, but the last major incident a decade prior) when confronting North Korean fishing/spy/smuggling boats in the area does not mean every crew is expecting to be suddenly torpedoed by a hidden submarine. It was a huge escalation over previous encounters.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 9, 2018

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/democracynow/status/972104678484869121?s=21

mediadave posted:

But then what? I can't quite believe that for 30 years the North Korean state has devoted every effort to this single goal, with the intended outcome of getting a single photoshoot out of it.

They want a peace treaty and normalization of relations with the US and SK

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's the over under on Moon Jae-In getting couped because I can't see the conservative establishment and military in SK being happy at all with what he and Trump are doing?

Trump is going to come back and be falling over himself to talk up Kim Jong-Un. They're going to give him a big show, give him a trophy or plaque, and tell him how great he is and he'll eat it up. He might even talk up Juche and how great it is because it's pretty much NK MAGA. Dennis Rodman will be Ambassador to the DPRK by the end of the year too.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

I did not know that. Thank you for the clarification. I remain skeptical as to North Korea's involvement in the Cheonan Ship for the other reasons listed. The lack of any evidence being made public is another sore point, although I'd rather talk more #MeToo than get into ancient history like this.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2018/03/251_245280.html

The NYT article really does undersell the sheer scale of the movement here- how it started outside of the entertainment industry and is sustained way beyond it. Are there daily update trackers for #MeToo allegations in the United States? Because I'm not even sure what's going on stateside anymore. The CineD thread is dead, save for the occasional spasms of bad posts about nothing.
Just read that Jo Min-ki, the well-known actor who was accused of sexual assault, committed suicide.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

What's the over under on Moon Jae-In getting couped because I can't see the conservative establishment and military in SK being happy at all with what he and Trump are doing?

Trump is going to come back and be falling over himself to talk up Kim Jong-Un. They're going to give him a big show, give him a trophy or plaque, and tell him how great he is and he'll eat it up. He might even talk up Juche and how great it is because it's pretty much NK MAGA. Dennis Rodman will be Ambassador to the DPRK by the end of the year too.
You got me but from what I've read in this thread, the conservatives are very weak.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
This is so crazy.

https://twitter.com/dandrezner/status/972113772214210560

There are still Americans being held by North Korea... did anybody even think of maybe asking for their release as a precondition for the meeting? Asking for anything at all?

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Why the gently caress would you invite Kim Jong-Un to the United States??? I pray that would be too much for even the GOP.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its like Trump heard that Kim wanted to meet him and felt flattered and could not say no

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The russia investigation has gotten too close and trump is fleeing to north korea to defect and the next ten years or so are going to be him releasing a bunch of weird north korean propaganda videos.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Actually Trump meeting with NK to find an alternative to nuclear war is a good thing

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's 100% a good thing but someone's going to point out to him that he's getting played and then dunno what he'll do.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

It's 100% a good thing but someone's going to point out to him that he's getting played and then dunno what he'll do.

He's only 'getting played' if you come from the perspective that North Korea must capitulate entirely before we can even hold direct talks with them.

Which, I'll give you, is a view that 99% of the US media and its pundits will hold, but let's not buy into their narrative.

e: and yes, there is the problem that this could fall apart at any moment because Trump. But maybe some cautious optimism is due after months of the US signaling war

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Is a Trump-Kim meeting going to make war more likely or less likely?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Have you seen Trump? He's incapable of maintaining good relations with Canada, Australia or the EU, how can this possibly not end in disaster.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Don't forget South Korea is driving this, not Trump

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/972073498914025472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

Friendship ended with South Korea.

Now Best Korea is my best friend.

After all South Korea has treated us very unfairly trade-wise. Not so with Kim!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is a Trump-Kim meeting going to make war more likely or less likely?

There's two ways I can see this going:

1. Trump gets offended and demonstrates his extreme incompetency at negotiating, resulting in him leaving in a sour mood and wanting to gently caress them up in revenge.

2. Trump is so easily led by the nose that Kim is able to convince him to take a pro-NK position. Mike Pence attempts a coup.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

chitoryu12 posted:

There's two ways I can see this going:

1. Trump gets offended and demonstrates his extreme incompetency at negotiating, resulting in him leaving in a sour mood and wanting to gently caress them up in revenge.

2. Trump is so easily led by the nose that Kim is able to convince him to take a pro-NK position. Mike Pence attempts a coup.

Isn't #1 at least as likely without a meeting?

#2 sounds hilarious.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maybe I’m a naive dummy but I’m happy if it at least happens.

I don’t give a gently caress about it “legitimizing North Korea” (What the gently caress does this even mean? They’ve been a nation for almost 70 years) as long as it decreases the chance of war.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/972199980311154689

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Telephones posted:

Why the gently caress would you invite Kim Jong-Un to the United States??? I pray that would be too much for even the GOP.
Oh please please please please

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Called it, nothing's going to come of this.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

whelp

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/972207585490284544

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

lmao

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This is definitely the “no, actually what the president MEANT to say was...” presidency.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Best case scenario is that Trump shoots Kim because he thinks it's hilarious and Kim's bodyguards kill Trump.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What does the line of succession look like in NK anyway? Does KJUs sister get the throne, or is it an all-out knife fight between generals ultimately decided by hat size?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Eox posted:

What does the line of succession look like in NK anyway? Does KJUs sister get the throne, or is it an all-out knife fight between generals ultimately decided by hat size?
Dunno, but thanks to Trump they have won a propaganda victory that will guarantee their regime stays in power until that happens.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Even if Trump has the time of his life in North Korea, all it would take is three consecutive conversations with pro-nuke "strategists" for Pandora's Box to be opened and dumped directly on the korean peninsula.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Can't wait for Trump to be live tweeting the meeting.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Chomskyan posted:

Actually Trump meeting with NK to find an alternative to nuclear war is a good thing
Pissing away a diplomatic incentive and validating Kim's nuclear program in exactly the way NK has been seeking for decades in exchange for nothing will make a diplomatic resolution harder, it won't make them any more likely to give up their nukes. Doing this will make things worse, not better.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah the only outcome I see is NK as a fully recognized nuclear power and America as a sucker in all future negotiations about anything. That is, unless someone in the WH can convince Trump to forget about it since everyone knows he's worthless already.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

Pissing away a diplomatic incentive and validating Kim's nuclear program in exactly the way NK has been seeking for decades in exchange for nothing will make a diplomatic resolution harder, it won't make them any more likely to give up their nukes. Doing this will make things worse, not better.

How is opening diplomatic talks with North Korea with the stated goal of denuclearization "validating Kim's nuclear program"? Your talking point makes no sense. Also North Korea having nukes is a reality, whether the US 'validates' it or not. And as they further develop their nukes and missile technology their bargaining position only gets stronger.

Frankly, NK will never give up its nukes. Nothing will convince them to give them up. Not threats of war, or sanctions, or anything. They see it as essential to deterring a US invasion. The time for getting NK to give up its nukes was in the 90s under the Agreed Framework and the Neocons pissed all over that agreement so here we are. The goal now should be to extract verifiable concessions to limit their nuclear program in exchange for a peace treaty formally ending the Korean War, which is in everyone's interest anyways

https://twitter.com/SecDef19/status/972226780915363840

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 10, 2018

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Chomskyan posted:

How is opening diplomatic talks with North Korea with the stated goal of denuclearization "validating Kim's nuclear program"?
The whole point of this maneuver to get the Trump-Kim handshake photo so they can splay it everywhere and say "the US respects us as an equal because of our nuclear program."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chomskyan posted:

How is opening diplomatic talks with North Korea with the stated goal of denuclearization "validating Kim's nuclear program"? Your talking point makes no sense. Also North Korea having nukes is a reality, whether the US 'validates' it or not. And as they further develop their nukes and missile technology their bargaining position only gets stronger.
Because the only denuclearization that will be on the table at this point will involve the US leaving Korea, which, if it works, means that anyone (e.g. Iran) can get their way by just ignoring sanctions and making nukes. Most likely this won't happen though and Kim will just brag about how the Americans crawled begging to him.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

The whole point of this maneuver to get the Trump-Kim handshake photo so they can splay it everywhere and say "the US respects us as an equal because of our nuclear program."
who the gently caress cares

mobby_6kl posted:

Because the only denuclearization that will be on the table at this point will involve the US leaving Korea, which, if it works, means that anyone (e.g. Iran) can get their way by just ignoring sanctions and making nukes. Most likely this won't happen though and Kim will just brag about how the Americans crawled begging to him.
Assuming that the US can secure a deal for denuclearization in return for withdrawing troops, how is that not a complete and total diplomatic victory for the US? The ROK is more than capable of defending itself. Unless of course the intention is not to defend South Korea but in fact to have a convenient excuse to maintain the US's network of military bases in Korea.

Also Iran never had a nuclear program so you can retire that canard

e:
https://twitter.com/TimothyS/status/972269020350242816

Punditry was easier before instant fact check was a thing

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 10, 2018

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

And what difference does that make? The regime isn’t going to fall apart cause of discontent from the populace

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
There's nothing to be gained from a Trump-Kim summit. It will not be a diplpmatic victory, because the diplomat is Donald Trump. All it does is diminish America's regional influence.

Trump is only going because he is an insane narcissist who thinks he can win by treating Kim like a game show contestant.

Telephones fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mobby_6kl posted:

Have you seen Trump? He's incapable of maintaining good relations with Canada, Australia or the EU, how can this possibly not end in disaster.

Yeah, but he gets along pretty well with autocrats.