Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai posted:

After I reached out to a few members of illmob asking about their comments, and Genovese, the admins kicked me out of the group.

What a bunch of children. It's hilarious how they accuse everyone else of being thin-skinned and butthurt, but can't take any questioning themselves. Can't have any dissent in their circle-jerk echo chamber.
Dammit, I want more women in IT, you assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hail Satan everybody.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Darchangel posted:

What a bunch of children. It's hilarious how they accuse everyone else of being thin-skinned and butthurt, but can't take any questioning themselves. Can't have any dissent in their circle-jerk echo chamber.
Dammit, I want more women in IT, you assholes.

:agreed:

I work on a fairly diverse team and we’re extremely lucky to have several women and people originally from places like Ethiopia, and they are hands down some of the smartest and nicest people on the team. Entitled, misogynistic, and racist behavior like that is extremely discouraging. If people are that closed minded about society, I would absolutely expect them to be similarly bereft of the capability to keep up with the changes in technology.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

One of the most talented devs I work with is a mid-60s lesbian, and she has dealt with some poo poo over the course of ~40 years

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahaha eat poo poo assholes. He’s also posting the DMs of people begging him to take them down.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Paul ReiserFS posted:

One of the most talented devs I work with is a mid-60s lesbian, and she has dealt with some poo poo over the course of ~40 years

Yeah, I've run into a few people like that in my career and I instantly give them my respect. If you've put up with the immense amount of bullshit that you've no doubt been exposed to, you clearly have a passion for what you do or you'd be out the door.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
And here I am about to start a lovely fake-degree program the local community college offers in infosec.

What a wonderful time to be alive.

E: whoops, the masters program that wasn’t supposed to accept me did. I guess I get to do that?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 29, 2019

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Schadenboner posted:

And here I am about to start a lovely fake-degree program the local community college offers in infosec.

What a wonderful time to be alive.

I’d say it’s still worth it for the experience alone. If you get a degree in IT or comp sci, having experience with security is a great bonus on your résumé.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
poo poo, experience (also poo poo experience) is all I do have. That and a worthless-rear end BA in Economics.

:smith:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Volmarias posted:

Sounds like they have some kind of compromised machine, better suspend the account until you can verify everything

LOL, I'd love to, but the user is across the country, and if I can't get the management suite to touch the box, I can't kill it. Not about to gently caress with his AD account. I am just gonna escalate it to my director and let him deal with it.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
In "You're Not Helping" news, the New York Times spreads a bunch of FUD about 2FA in their famously terrible editorial section. While it is true SMS/phone call codes are garbage, and codes in general can be phished, this kind of doubt casting is not what we need when we're struggling to get most websites to implement any kind of 2FA at all, and even a tenth of users to even turn it on where it is a available.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

In "You're Not Helping" news, the New York Times spreads a bunch of FUD about 2FA in their famously terrible editorial section. While it is true SMS/phone call codes are garbage, and codes in general can be phished, this kind of doubt casting is not what we need when we're struggling to get most websites to implement any kind of 2FA at all, and even a tenth of users to even turn it on where it is a available.
It's in favor of non-phishable two factor, still suggests phishable two factor is good overall, and calls out mandatory password cycling as dumb. Seems like a good article to me.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
But.... phishable 2-factor is still >>>>>>>> single factor??

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That's not what factor means.

Your password is a factor
Holding a device is a factor
Your biometrics are a factor
A generated key is a factor

Two of those are easily phishable.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

The Fool posted:

That's not what factor means.

Your password is a factor
Holding a device is a factor
Your biometrics are a factor
A generated key is a factor

Two of those are easily phishable.
Isn't "generated key" another way of describing "holding a device"?

The "thing you have" factor can be either phishable or not phishable depending on how it's implemented.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not necessarily. I have a bunch of keys printed for various services.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dylan16807 posted:

Isn't "generated key" another way of describing "holding a device"?

No, because there are many ways to get a generated key that are device independent. E-mail and SMS being two.

And there are also other ways to ensure that someone has a device that don't require generating a code. Push notifications, device white-listing being two.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

The Fool posted:

No, because there are many ways to get a generated key that are device independent. E-mail and SMS being two.

And there are also other ways to ensure that someone has a device that don't require generating a code. Push notifications, device white-listing being two.
I think I see what you mean, but I would use different categories:

Thing You Have: Covers having a device, whether it communicates directly or gives you a key to type. Also includes printouts with many keys.

Someone Else's Authentication: This covers email and SMS codes. It also covers Oauth.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

OAuth is an authentication standard, and would never be considered a factor in a multi-factor setup.

And the traditional high level authentication factor categories are:

Thing you know
Thing you have
Thing you are

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Why not mix if up with

- Things you won't openly admit to
- Things you fear
- Things that know YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

- things you’ve forgotten
- things you will never understand
- things you forgot at home this morning

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

The Fool posted:

OAuth is an authentication standard, and would never be considered a factor in a multi-factor setup.

And the traditional high level authentication factor categories are:

Thing you know
Thing you have
Thing you are
Yes, those are the normal categories.

What I'm saying is that "generated key", depending on how you interpret it, either falls under "thing you have" or letting someone else do the authentication for you. "Generated key" shouldn't be on a list of factors.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Subjunctive posted:

- things you forgot at home this morning

Look you can't just make the set of all things one of the factors, it doesn't work very well

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

Look you can't just make the set of all things one of the factors, it doesn't work very well

Have you even tried?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

Someone Else's Authentication: This covers email and SMS codes. It also covers Oauth.

It most absolutely does not. You are a misinformed crazy person.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

It most absolutely does not. You are a misinformed crazy person.
So, twenty minutes of research later, pretend I said "OpenID Connect", which is a specific use of OAuth. I didn't realize it was so complicated.

The point is that clicking that "log in with X" button is pretty close to being emailed a code, as far as security is concerned. I'm proving that I already authenticated with someone else. I'm not directly proving knowledge, device, or biometric.

Is that acceptable?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
i think it helps to distinguish how you authenticate to a particular security domain (login creds, key pair, totp token, sms otp etc) and how successful auth is stored or communicated between different systems in the domain (session cookie, jwt string, kerberos ticket, oauth tokens)

having something of the second type gets you the same access as having successfully gone through the first, but theyre not "factors" in the sense of things the end user is asked for at the point of auth

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dylan16807 posted:

So, twenty minutes of research later, pretend I said "OpenID Connect", which is a specific use of OAuth. I didn't realize it was so complicated.

The point is that clicking that "log in with X" button is pretty close to being emailed a code, as far as security is concerned. I'm proving that I already authenticated with someone else. I'm not directly proving knowledge, device, or biometric.

Is that acceptable?

No, because OpenID Connect just adds an identity layer to OAuth, and is even further away from being an authentication factor than OAuth is.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

The Fool posted:

No, because OpenID Connect just adds an identity layer to OAuth, and is even further away from being an authentication factor than OAuth is.
I would say that OpenID counts as a factor if and only if an emailed code counts as a factor.

I'm willing to agree that neither one counts as a factor, if you want.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
two factors? how about two and a half factors! one and a half factors? would you trade your factor for what's behind the third door?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dylan16807 posted:

I would say that OpenID counts as a factor if and only if an emailed code counts as a factor.

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how OAuth and openid work, and I don't have the energy right now to make the effort post.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Two factors: Something I have (my e-mail address) and something I know (my password).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

And now it just sounds funny. Factor factor factor.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Something that I am (a motherfucker), something that I have (your Mom), something that I know (your Mom, Biblically).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

Please stop. You're hurting me.

Also let's talk about this lmao https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/28/facetime-bug-hear-audio

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder if uninstalling facetime actually removes the fuckin' thing or just hides the icon.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

I wonder if uninstalling facetime actually removes the fuckin' thing or just hides the icon.

Just turn it off in settings for now. (on your Mac and iPad, as well) Also, Apple is supposed to be releasing a hot fix to address it this week.

I’m not saying it’s not bad, because it is. But it’s also easy to mitigate until an official fix is released.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Apple turned off Group FaceTime at a server level, guess it wasn’t quite ready to leave beta

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Maneki Neko posted:

Apple turned off Group FaceTime at a server level, guess it wasn’t quite ready to leave beta

TBH I like the response. Like that's a good zing and everything but respect to whoever created the "what happens if FaceTime gets super hosed" document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/chronic/status/1090394419902197761

:stare:

https://twitter.com/chronic/status/1090397698803621889

:stonk:

https://twitter.com/chronic/status/1090399087827083264

:stonklol: