Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
unpopular preferences: I love food. Give me crunchy or smooth peanut butter and the sugar white or spelty whole breads, spicy or bland, roasted or boiled or steamed veggies, juice with or without pulp, any milk, steak or canned chicken, pizza with whatever, cold or fresh, I dont care what is or isnt considered a sandwich. I am a human trash compactor just give me the loving food please :wooper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

ANUSTART posted:

unpopular preferences: I love food. Give me crunchy or smooth peanut butter and the sugar white or spelty whole breads, spicy or bland, roasted or boiled or steamed veggies, juice with or without pulp, any milk, steak or canned chicken, pizza with whatever, cold or fresh, I dont care what is or isnt considered a sandwich. I am a human trash compactor just give me the loving food please :wooper:

:same:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
This is us:

https://youtu.be/ly7PONiKGUs

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ANUSTART posted:

:goonsay:

Also, agreed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Biscuits are definitely not supposed to be greasy.

Y'all eat some lovely, lovely food.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah Biscuits are sort of dry and a little flakey to suck up all your slops.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The show Monk is bad. Real bad. It loving sucks

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah Biscuits are sort of dry and a little flakey to suck up all your slops.

Yeah the ideal biscuit is inherently not greasy bc that allows its fluffy interior to absorb all the bacon grease, egg yolk, syrup, gravy, jelly, ketchup, etc left over on your giant breakfast plate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

The show Monk is bad. Real bad. It loving sucks

Psych was always the superior USA detective show.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Psych was always the superior USA detective show.

You mean Burn Notice

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Overall, american english spelling and lexicon are flat out better than british english spelling and lexicon. Non-pronounced U is dumb. S standing in for Z is dumb. Truck and trunk and chips and fries are more logical than lorry and boot and crisps and chips. And best of all, dumbass limey english is dying out so best learn american.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Truck and trunk and chips and fries are more logical than lorry and boot and crisps and chips.

How so? :crossarms:

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Cars don't have feet tiggum

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fried potato chips such as lays do, in fact, chip into pieces when you bite them, but they aren't really crisp. Crisp implies hot and fresh, or at least quick and stinging, not stale and salty. Crispy foods usually have a soft interior too. Crisps without context would never be described as crisp on a menu.

Similarly french fries such as would accompany fried fish or a hamburger are fried, but don't chip.

Lorry is a made-up word and car trunks serve the same purpose as regular trunks, and not the purpose of boots.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:52 on Jun 27, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Crisp implies hot and fresh, or at least quick and stinging,

I think you'll find crisp implies, you know, crisp. Like crisps, for instance.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think you'll find crisp implies, you know, crisp. Like crisps, for instance.

They aren't. A potato chip is crunchy but it sure as hell isn't crisp. Toast is crisp. Fried chicken should be crisp. Wind can be crisp. Pringles are not.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They aren't. A potato chip is crunchy but it sure as hell isn't crisp. Toast is crisp. Fried chicken should be crisp. Wind can be crisp. Pringles are not.

Jesus loving christ if you're using god drat Pringles as a standard for what crisps are like then I don't know what to tell you. They're literally not even potato chips as they are not cut from a potato but actually a baked... thing made of various kinds of flour.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
In America, chips and crisps are both legally distinct. Chips, like Lays, need to be actual sliced cross sections of potato. Whereas crisps, like Pringles, are made from potato mash.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
LOL at people defending crisps as a word for chips :)

Pringles is hyperbole christ you goon, but no kind of thin sliced fried potato piece is crisp. Onions are crisp. No one bites into a potato chip and thinks "mmmm, crisp"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pringles is hyperbole christ you goon, but no kind of thin sliced fried potato piece is crisp. Onions are crisp. No one bites into a potato chip and thinks "mmmm, crisp"

Keep going through life thinking words in English mean only what you think they mean. It's probably working so far.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

starkebn posted:

Keep going through life thinking words in English mean only what you think they mean. It's probably working so far.

Sorry, I can't understand your accent.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:lol: I'm American and I still don't think you know what words mean.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sorry, I can't understand your accent.

Describe a crisp, dry leaf.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aramek posted:

In America, chips and crisps are both legally distinct. Chips, like Lays, need to be actual sliced cross sections of potato. Whereas crisps, like Pringles, are made from potato mash.

Pringles contain as much rice flour and sawdust as they do potato.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/crisp

crisp
[krisp]
adjective, crisper, crispest.
1. (especially of food) hard but easily breakable; brittle:

If you think that doesn't apply to crisps then lol

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lay's make a competitive product called Stax and I think it's cheaper than Pringles but I never see anyone buying them or eating them. Stax sounds more extreme and crispier.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Biscuit to mean cookie is the dumbest British mixup word, imo. So what do they call biscuits? Oh, they don't have those, they have crumpets.

Get the gently caress outta here.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
Ocean acidification is going to kill off the vast majority of the human race in the next 70-100 years (if 3+ degrees of warming rapidly progressing to 7+ degrees doesn't do it first).

Literally nothing I or anyone else does matters.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Ganson posted:

Ocean acidification is going to kill off the vast majority of the human race in the next 70-100 years (if 3+ degrees of warming rapidly progressing to 7+ degrees doesn't do it first).

Literally nothing I or anyone else does matters.

Once the Siberian permafreeze starts melting for real we are hosed from all the methane that's trapped there

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Jerry Cotton posted:

Jesus loving christ if you're using god drat Pringles as a standard for what crisps are like then I don't know what to tell you. They're literally not even potato chips as they are not cut from a potato but actually a baked... thing made of various kinds of flour.
PRIMARILY POTATO FLOUR :mad:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I call deep fried potatoes that come in bags "sandwiches."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

PRIMARILY POTATO FLOUR :mad:

"Pringles have about 42% potato content, the remainder being wheat starch and flours (potato, corn, and rice) combined with vegetable oils, an emulsifier, salt, and seasoning."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

starkebn posted:

Once the Siberian permafreeze starts melting for real we are hosed from all the methane that's trapped there

A long wet fart kills humanity. Sounds about right.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

WampaLord posted:

Biscuit to mean cookie is the dumbest British mixup word, imo. So what do they call biscuits? Oh, they don't have those, they have crumpets.

Get the gently caress outta here.

this person gets it. gently caress off you stupid limeys.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Jerry Cotton posted:

"Pringles have about 42% potato content, the remainder being wheat starch and flours (potato, corn, and rice) combined with vegetable oils, an emulsifier, salt, and seasoning."
Yes, but OF the flours, it's PRIMARILY potato flour.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

this person gets it. gently caress off you stupid limeys.

"I'll just pop down to ye old shoppe to pick up a tin of biscuits!"

No wonder we rebelled.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The british/australian versions of words are not "logically" inferior and they shouldn't be expected to cater to our tastes any more than we should expect/demand a German to speak proper English in their own country. We know what they think a crisp/chip is, what a lorry is, etc, you don't have to be an rear end and say "well actually I think you'll find that our version of the word is more logical. Furthermore...". On the other hand if you're a brit visiting america don't be confused/angry if you ask for a sandwich with chips and you get what we call chips instead of fries. It's all about context and knowing your audience.

That said, it's perfectly fine to point out that their versions sound ridiculous, because they usually do. I mean honestly, aluminium? Did it really need that extra "i"?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoy anime very much

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The british/australian versions of words are not "logically" inferior and they shouldn't be expected to cater to our tastes any more than we should expect/demand a German to speak proper English in their own country. We know what they think a crisp/chip is, what a lorry is, etc, you don't have to be an rear end and say "well actually I think you'll find that our version of the word is more logical. Furthermore...". On the other hand if you're a brit visiting america don't be confused/angry if you ask for a sandwich with chips and you get what we call chips instead of fries. It's all about context and knowing your audience.

That said, it's perfectly fine to point out that their versions sound ridiculous, because they usually do. I mean honestly, aluminium? Did it really need that extra "i"?

Don't quote me atm cuz I'm mondrunk, but I have a bachelors in chemistry and I'm 90% sure that "aluminium" was adopted bc "aluminum" didn't sound classical enough.

Davy, the british dude who first isolated aluminum, said June 1812: "This substance appears to contain a peculiar metal, but as yet Aluminum has not been obtained in a perfectly free state, though alloys of it with other metalline substances have been procured sufficiently distinct to indicate the probable nature of alumina."

Such is true of most british words, they're exonyms adopted for to sound more proppa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I Like It, I Love It by Tim McGraw is a good song