Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

i am harry posted:

Is literally a lie.

There's a lot of things you can criticize Market Basket about (the sawdust on the floors, mediocre at best produce, the family intrigue that almost collapsed the business not once, not twice, but thrice) but between a Star/Shaw's, Stop and Shop, Hannaford, or Wegman's, MB consistently lands the lowest prices on most things. They pay their employees actual good money and real benefits, they actually have lots of aisles open, and their premade selection is second only to Wegman's. Their employees went on strike to prevent the destruction of the soul of the company due to said family intrigue, and they won.

It does depend on how new your store is though. The one in Littleton is brand new and blows my store in Chelmsford away. But I still won't go to Stop and Shop.

I wish we had Price Chopper (now changed to Market32) simply because that's what I'm used to from Western Mass/Upstate NY, but what can you do. Big Y can die in a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/969661480961495040?s=19

More cuts from JC Penney.

Edit: Oh Toys R Us UK has gone into administration.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 5, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Thats a brutal lookin thumbnail.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Huh, missed the thing from the sidebar:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/28/best-buy-to-close-all-250-of-its-smaller-mobile-phone-stores.html?recirc=taboolainternal

Best Buy Mobile is getting canned.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Thats a brutal lookin thumbnail.

I know right? JCPenny, favorite of murder hobos. I mean, I'm sure the guy is nice enough, but jeez louise, the optics..

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Surprised it took so long to happen. Those stores were basically "Radio Shack but worse" and most of them I ever saw were in very close proximity to a full Best Buy anyway. Eg, Best Buy Mobile in the mall, full Best Buy in the outer lots of the whole shopping center.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Can someone explain to me how mobile phone stores actually make money? There's like 4 of them in my suburban town's center district and they all have like 3 people in them at any given time of day.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Can someone explain to me how mobile phone stores actually make money? There's like 4 of them in my suburban town's center district and they all have like 3 people in them at any given time of day.

Two year service contracts make them money, not phones.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's probably like banks where there is no expectation that a branch brings in enough sales to pay their rent, they are just there as huge billboards and the revenue comes from somewhere else.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TyroneGoldstein posted:

They don't usually pay the staff particularly well, and they get revenue from the cell carrier on each bit of prepaid time they sell for prepaid phones, and for the payments and sales on contract phones. They also sell a bunch of priced up accessories on the side, and often handle phone repair (either on site directly or with agreement to some off-site location where the store takes a cut). It all adds up.

And when they're directly owned by a carrier, they serve as a point to direct customers with any sort of service problems, especially ones that can't be handled by all their contract and affiliated stores for the same mobile brand. You need to have a reasonable amount of those around to handle problems even if they don't inherently make enough direct money for their monthly rent.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

withak posted:

It's probably like banks where there is no expectation that a branch brings in enough sales to pay their rent, they are just there as huge billboards and the revenue comes from somewhere else.

Nah, a significant portion of mobile stores are independently owned (or at least part of independent retailer groups) so this wouldn't fly.

New lines (especially business accounts), accessories, and, to a lesser extent, upgrades are where stores are making their money.

You keep costs down by being able to run the business pretty much wherever the cheapest rents are, and not paying your employees very much.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Baronash posted:

You keep costs down by being able to run the business pretty much wherever the cheapest rents are, and not paying your employees very much.
OTOH they tend to also have very open floor plans that waste a lot of the square footage, except for Boost and Cricket holes in the wall, which I guess just reinforces the idea that they're more showrooms where the product is service contracts, not stores.

fishmech posted:

Surprised it took so long to happen. Those stores were basically "Radio Shack but worse" and most of them I ever saw were in very close proximity to a full Best Buy anyway. Eg, Best Buy Mobile in the mall, full Best Buy in the outer lots of the whole shopping center.
Well, they've also said that running a mobile-only store isn't as profitable as it once was, which kind of begs the question of why. Not as many people transitioning off of landlines any more?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SIM/unlocked phones are finally taking off in the US which kills the contract & phone gag.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

SIM/unlocked phones are finally taking off in the US which kills the contract & phone gag.

Back in 2003 I tried to get a SIM card for my unlocked tri-band phone that I bought in Estonia.

They called the police in FL assuming I stole it. I was able to get one in Manhatten about a month later.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

OneEightHundred posted:

OTOH they tend to also have very open floor plans that waste a lot of the square footage, except for Boost and Cricket holes in the wall, which I guess just reinforces the idea that they're more showrooms where the product is service contracts, not stores.

Well, they've also said that running a mobile-only store isn't as profitable as it once was, which kind of begs the question of why. Not as many people transitioning off of landlines any more?

Could be people just ordering online like all other retail. If you're a Samsung, Google, or Apple diehard, you don't even care about trying out the phone, you're just going to order it. Also feels like the phone market is getting a lot smaller. Early days had tons and tons of phones with a huge variety of features, now it feels more like you just buy the current smartphone from whichever brand you prefer.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I look forward to Stein Mart's delisting after Friday for failing to get their stock price above $1 over a 30 day grace period.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Contracts are still around but now they're of the "24 monthly payments of only $32 for a new iPhone" variety. And Leasing phones.

I still don't know anyone who buys phones outright.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FCKGW posted:

Contracts are still around but now they're of the "24 monthly payments of only $32 for a new iPhone" variety. And Leasing phones.

People with money, because it's too expensive otherwise

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FCKGW posted:

I pay the extra to own my phone. I like having a backup that's only one model behind in case something happens and I can't afford to replace my phone.

Of course, I went from a 4s to a 6 to a 8+ so, maybe one model behind is a bit of a lie, but what the gently caress ever ya'll know what I mean.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I pay the extra to own my phone. I like having a backup that's only one model behind in case something happens and I can't afford to replace my phone.

Of course, I went from a 4s to a 6 to a 8+ so, maybe one model behind is a bit of a lie, but what the gently caress ever ya'll know what I mean.

I mean that's what happens in October when I finish paying for my phone, it becomes my backup when I get a new one

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Gotta love how smartphone prices have come tumbling down within the past few years. The flagship iPhone and Samsung Galaxy still cost a bundle, but a decent smartphone can be had for about $200-$300.

Leasing a phone makes sense if you always want to have the latest and greatest phone available every couple of years.

Horseshoe theory posted:

I look forward to Stein Mart's delisting after Friday for failing to get their stock price above $1 over a 30 day grace period.

When was the last time anyone went to Stein Mart? Hell, why exactly does Stein Mart still exist, other to be an upscale T.J. Maxx?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

fishmech posted:

All across Europe, Asia and Africa, and a few South American locations.

Hambilderberglar posted:

China as well.

Really hoping this is a brain fart, and not you not knowing which continent China is part of.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Noctone posted:

Really hoping this is a brain fart, and not you not knowing which continent China is part of.

Possibly a comment on China's economic policy on non-native companies, though for a grocery chain it seems like a bit of an odd stretch.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Hi. I buy the previous model either used or at a discount new.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Domestic Amuse posted:

When was the last time anyone went to Stein Mart? Hell, why exactly does Stein Mart still exist, other to be an upscale T.J. Maxx?

In 1994, at the age of 11, I bought a players guide for NBA Jam from a Blockbuster around the corner from my home, sat down on a bench right outside the Stein Mart further down in the strip mall to read some of it, then two big dudes came along, beat the poo poo out of me in broad daylight and took my players guide. So that's my story about Stein Mart.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That is a seriously good story, though. They beat you up for a guide? Like not even the actual game?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Pre-Internet, information was a loving commodity.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

HEY NONG MAN posted:

That is a seriously good story, though. They beat you up for a guide? Like not even the actual game?

It had cheats in the back for all the systems!

Also right next to me was my locked bike. I took a good 5-10 quick punches to the face before they walked off with what I had saved a whole month for. Had I not returned home to grab an extra 10c I was short on the first time I tried to purchase it, none of this would ever have happened and my life would no doubt be on an entirely different trajectory.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Roosevelts loving you from the grave.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You would have been able to go home with that guide of you had the 10c the first time. There you would have been able to play NBA JAM with the Bill Clinton cheat. Inspired, you'd pursue a lifetime in politics where you challenged Biden as the youngest person voted to Congress.

Instead? You post comments on a dead internet comedy forum about companies that are dead and dying, just like you.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Roosevelts loving you from the grave.
Cracker, knockout ma Roosevelts?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Toys R Us may liquidate US operations. :chaostrump: and the tariffs are stealing the headlines.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/08/toys-r-us-may-liquidate-us-operations-source.html

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
They filed for bankruptcy last year and have been closing a ton of stores so not exactly big news.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Dehry posted:

Toys R Us may liquidate US operations. :chaostrump: and the tariffs are stealing the headlines.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/08/toys-r-us-may-liquidate-us-operations-source.html

Marketplace did a segment on this and discussed leveraged buyouts by privaye equity and how they screw over companies like Jefferies (ToysrUs).

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
When are Sears and JCPenney going under

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dehry posted:

For at least ten years TrU has been a vestigial thing propping up the real moneymaker of Babies R Us because new parents are a much bigger money target since they don't know any better yet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hand Row posted:

They filed for bankruptcy last year and have been closing a ton of stores so not exactly big news.

I'm just surprised they're going out for good before Sears.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Funny thing is, I know a Toys R Us (this is in the UK) in my adoptive hometown that just had a big refurbishment. And was one of the few remaining anchors in the mall it was in (although it still has a cinema, bowling alley and uh... a big greenhousey botanical gardens).

At least it has a Denny's now. First one I've heard of in the UK.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 9, 2018

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paul.Power posted:

At least it has a Denny's now. First one I've heard of in the UK.

When food in your country is so bad you're excited about a new Denny's opening up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The moon never sets over my hammy.