Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I bought season 3 on bluray after loving seasons 1 and 2, but I got boored after like 3 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whoever called PriorMarcus an idiot for saying this season of Fargo is designed as the last one may have to eat their words as Hawley has now said something similar.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Whoever called PriorMarcus an idiot for saying this season of Fargo is designed as the last one may have to eat their words as Hawley has now said something similar.

If you're talking about what I said, I actually meant "Saying Hawley sucks at endings is weird," not "this isn't going to be the last season of Fargo."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh right. Well in that case he's even more right because all Hawley endings have sucked super hard so far except Fargo s1. Like I LOVE LOVE LOVE the dude but it is by far his biggest issue.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Except for like two things I didn't hate the ending of s2 and I though Legion was fine, I didn't hate the ending I just ended up not liking what the show actually was by the end.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Josh Lyman posted:

Watch the first season of The Killing then kill yourself because jfc the show runner hosed up.

Jesus, don't even watch that. That show went putrid not even halfway through S1, but I said "Well, they told me this season's case would be self contained, might as well stick it out." After hours upon hours of Seattle's worst detectives profiling an Arabian teacher and bungling their way into compromising a major FBI operation, I got a wet fart of a reveal (The aunt pushed the car into the lake, without knowing the girl was in the trunk? Oh, and they were BOTH high end call girls?) and a bunch of completely unengaging hooks for the next season.

I think The Killing was the moment the wheels came off the "AMC is the new home of prestige television" narrative. Turns out Mad Men and Breaking Bad really were flukes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

I quit in season 4 it was so bad, I should really go back and watch 5.

Season 5 was better, but only because season 4 was that bad, and at that point you're watching mostly for the closure of an ending. I didn't hate it but I hesitate to call it "good."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JethroMcB posted:

Turns out Mad Men and Breaking Bad really were flukes.

And it's not like AMC didn't do its best to actively gently caress with both of those shows.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Season 5 was better, but only because season 4 was that bad, and at that point you're watching mostly for the closure of an ending. I didn't hate it but I hesitate to call it "good."

I might just consider that Reese shot everyone and Bear ran off into the sunset with a duffel bag full of money.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

I bought season 3 on bluray after loving seasons 1 and 2, but I got boored after like 3 episodes.

I like how this could be about any number of shows (but I think you're talking about Orphan Black?)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's the one.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The final season of Turn: Washington's Spies premieres on June 17th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp8mQeotF5w

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gonz posted:

The final season of Turn: Washington's Spies premieres on June 17th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp8mQeotF5w

Literally never heard of this show.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MiddleOne posted:

It's impressive how hard AMC hosed up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lurdiak posted:

I watched an Egghead episode of the Batman 66 series in memory of Adam West and there was a white guy in redface playing a native american and everyone kept making really racist jokes about native americans and then Batman called him a redskin.

Be careful if you watch Get Smart. Great comedians, great comedic delivery, TERRIBLY aged jokes. One of them they did a solid fifteen minutes on a Chinese villain getting mad because they thought his name was The Craw.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

AMC has a lot of shows like Turn, The Son, and Hell on Wheels that I'm kind of interested in but I didn't get on board with at the start because I always forget AMC airs shows on nights other than Sunday.

I don't have a problem with the whole Chris Hardwick talk show thing but I do wonder if it pays enough dividends for AMC as opposed to running another show after your hits to draw attention to them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Three words: Low Winter Sun

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Turn, as well as Halt and Catch Fire, are both excellent shows, but AMC is run by imbeciles.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Halt and Catch Fire is the worst name for a show I have ever heard

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I wached Halt and Catch Fire season 1, it was decent but I wasn't enamoured by it. How are the following seasons?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

I wached Halt and Catch Fire season 1, it was decent but I wasn't enamoured by it. How are the following seasons?

Every season gets progressively better, IMO. Lee Pace is fuckin' amazing on that show. Same goes for Toby Huss.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

-Blackadder- posted:

It's really good. They move away from Texas and they stop focusing on Joe being an edgelord.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a half episode near the end of season 3 of Halt and Catch Fire that I think is terrible but otherwise yeah it just keeps getting more interesting as the technology goes along. Season 4 is gonna have the internet!

I liked Turn so much I made the thread for season 1, but had no idea it was even still on the air.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So it turns out y'all were right and Travelers is a really good show. Was there not a thread for it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

A weird thing about the show was that for the first season it was just called Turn but then when the second season came about I guess they decided that they needed a name that more explicitly told you what it was about so they added the "Washington's Spies" bit to the end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Croatoan posted:

So it turns out y'all were right and Travelers is a really good show. Was there not a thread for it?

I don't think there was, only a few people mentioned it. I struggled with the first few episodes but it got a lot better really quickly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Croatoan posted:

I think there was...? I'm unsure. Thankfully it didn't get hit in the massive round of cancellations earlier this year so we do still have a shot at redemption.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

MiddleOne posted:

I think there was...? I'm unsure. Thankfully it didn't get hit in the massive round of cancellations earlier this year so we do still have a shot at redemption.

Apparently season 2 was already confirmed. I was impressed with how little visual effects the show used, it's all just acting and writing. I thought it was one of the best shows I've seen this year.

P.S. Another underappreciated show currently available on Netflix is The Carmichael Show. Y'all should check it out.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Croatoan posted:

P.S. Another underappreciated show currently available on Netflix is The Carmichael Show. Y'all should check it out.

It's really old school and a transparent All in the Family remake (I think the set is nearly identical), and I love it. Season 3 is live on NBC now and there's less than a full 24 episode season's worth to catch up on.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

try the new taco place posted:

It's really old school and a transparent All in the Family remake (I think the set is nearly identical), and I love it. Season 3 is live on NBC now and there's less than a full 24 episode season's worth to catch up on.

It's really is but with the addition of the other brother and his ex-wife. MY WIFE and I were just discussing that they should do an All In The Family remake, I think the conversation was brought on by discovering The Carmichael Show. You made me google it and apparently All In The Family, The Jeffersons and Good Times are all in the works to be relaunched and I'm totally stoked for all three. C'mon peak TV, bring me back to my childhood hell yeah!

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Making Meathead a biracial woman is really a stroke of genius.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Croatoan posted:

It's really is but with the addition of the other brother and his ex-wife. MY WIFE and I were just discussing that they should do an All In The Family remake, I think the conversation was brought on by discovering The Carmichael Show. You made me google it and apparently All In The Family, The Jeffersons and Good Times are all in the works to be relaunched and I'm totally stoked for all three. C'mon peak TV, bring me back to my childhood hell yeah!

I take it you've seen the remake of One Day At A Time, then?

It's on Netflix if you want to check it out, and it's pretty good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

try the new taco place posted:

For years I presumed there'd be one more multicamera sitcom that would be really solid, and presumed it would be some new smart take on the genre that nobody had thought of before. Then Carmichael came along and just did the format justice by writing smart, funny scripts for a great cast. Who knew!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Open Source Idiom posted:

I take it you've seen the remake of One Day At A Time, then?

It's on Netflix if you want to check it out, and it's pretty good.

I had not TYVM!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently Nathan Fillion and Tony Hale are among the cast members joining season 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events. I haven't read the books in forever so I have only the faintest ideas of who they could be playing but sounds interesting.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

Apparently Nathan Fillion and Tony Hale are among the cast members joining season 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events. I haven't read the books in forever so I have only the faintest ideas of who they could be playing but sounds interesting.

This article lists all the new cast members as well as who they're playing:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/nathan-fillion-tony-hale-a-series-of-unfortunate-events-season-2-netflix/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

precision posted:

I don't think there was, only a few people mentioned it. I struggled with the first few episodes but it got a lot better really quickly.

It was a Netflix time travel show during the same time as there were 3 other time travel shows on the regular networks (all of which are cancelled by now) so it was kind of lumped into the same "assumed lame time travel" group.

It was shockingly good though, way better then I expected or the first 2 episodes hint at.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Good to know all my guesses were totally wrong

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought the first episode of Travelers was pretty good with the whole twist of "killing" Eric McCormack's character. Seeing as the show looked like it was setting him up as the audience surrogate character who gets everything explained to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Catching back up with American Gods and drat that ep 5 opening is a bit good isn't it

• Locked thread