Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

AMD sales are up in absolute terms as well as relative terms. Intel sales are down in both. Here's a quote from the original r/AMD thread that image came from:
Now with more data: https://imgur.com/a/Dx5hYp1

Though keep in mind Intel will more than make up for the revenue they've lost with the much higher ASPs of the upcoming eight cores. This is a very small dip in the scheme of things.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

just the "have disk" thing works well enough long as you select one of the raven ridge parts there

help, I am about to do this thing for the brother in a few hours, hopefully you check this thread on the weekends, which driver did you download for the 2300/2500U?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

help, I am about to do this thing for the brother in a few hours, hopefully you check this thread on the weekends, which driver did you download for the 2300/2500U?

adrenalin driver 18.8.2

Used DDU before installing it, but apparently there are horror stories for DDU on OEM laptops (not just on AMD, either) so ymmv and be sure to have a drive image backup of sorts

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 30, 2018

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Llamadeus posted:

Though keep in mind Intel will more than make up for the revenue they've lost with the much higher ASPs of the upcoming eight cores. This is a very small dip in the scheme of things.
Yeah if those sorts of trends only last a month or 2 and then reverses its not a big deal.

Its if it goes on for a quarter or 2 than it could actually matter. Be interesting to see if its just a short term Osborne-ish effect that goes away as soon as the next minor but expensive Skylake revision Intel pushes out hits the markets.

To me it seems that, in general, among PC enthusiasts the Ryzen2's are getting a reputation as 'performs close enough to Intel to not matter but is significantly cheaper' and are getting more acceptance over Intel. Especially for chips like the Ryzen2-2600. Which is interesting to me because its also known that these Ryzen's aren't all that good overclockers in general and don't hit the magic 5Ghz clocks that the various Intel Skylake revisions can.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

adrenalin driver 18.8.2

Used DDU before installing it, but apparently there are horror stories for DDU on OEM laptops (not just on AMD, either) so ymmv and be sure to have a drive image backup of sorts

Surprisingly? It installed without so much as a peep. I just downloaded the latest drivers off AMD's website, and express installed. No muss, no fuss.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Surprisingly? It installed without so much as a peep. I just downloaded the latest drivers off AMD's website, and express installed. No muss, no fuss.
I think Dell is pretty much being a shitter in that regard :[

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
My god, going from an fx8320 to this ryzen 1700 is like night and day.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

celewign posted:

My god, going from an fx8320 to this ryzen 1700 is like night and day.

Bask in the buttery smooth multitasking. Oooh yeah gimme all the threads.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I do like running game servers and poo poo in the background, and forgetting they're there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The interesting thing with lots of cores is, even if there's a shitload going on in the system, the more cores there are, the more often lower priority threads get a chance to run. On this Threadripper, I can get Arnold render something on all threads, start a compile on the console and still operate the thing almost as if things were idling.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I think Dell is pretty much being a shitter in that regard :[

Except not, as previously mentioned, I have no problems doing the exact same thing with either my machine with a FirePro M5100 in it, or my other one with a GTX 1060 in it, both Dells.

I think you may have just fallen into this weird area of "this is a custom SKU we ran up specifically for Dell but forgot about".

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Except not, as previously mentioned, I have no problems doing the exact same thing with either my machine with a FirePro M5100 in it, or my other one with a GTX 1060 in it, both Dells.

I think you may have just fallen into this weird area of "this is a custom SKU we ran up specifically for Dell but forgot about".
Rolling the shittiest possible outcome is something I'm no stranger to :smithicide:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
a wild Uncle Who Works At Nintendo appears

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Pretty disappointing. Similar to the zen+ bump. I was hoping for 4.8-5.2 clocks and expected 8c/16t. Maybe there is OC headroom and the engineering sample is not as aggressive as it could be.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 2, 2018

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

It's an ES sample that crashes constantly, if 4.0/4.5 is metastable for buggy first silicon then I have hope for higher clocks still.

Also buried lede here is that it went to RTG for driver development because the interconnect topology has changed.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Khorne posted:

Pretty disappointing. Similar to the zen+ bump. I was hoping for 4.8-5.2 clocks and expected 8c/16t. Maybe there is OC headroom and the engineering sample is not as aggressive as it could be?

Even if it was real, engineering samples often clock way lower than the finished product, which implies there could still be headroom. If it's crashy, that also anecdotally supports the idea of it being an early sample.

Can't really read anything into the core count either, they could very easily be 12C or 16C parts with some cores turned off for yields.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Khorne posted:

Pretty disappointing. Similar to the zen+ bump. I was hoping for 4.8-5.2 clocks and expected 8c/16t. Maybe there is OC headroom and the engineering sample is not as aggressive as it could be?

Early Zen samples ran at ~3Ghz for what it's worth.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Arzachel posted:

Early Zen samples ran at ~3Ghz for what it's worth.

so 5 ghz+ confirmed from your uncle that works at AMD.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Paul MaudDib posted:

Even if it was real, engineering samples often clock way lower than the finished product, which implies there could still be headroom. If it's crashy, that also anecdotally supports the idea of it being an early sample.

Can't really read anything into the core count either, they could very easily be 12C or 16C parts with some cores turned off for yields.

I said it before but while 16c parts will be baller as hell, AMD is not going to let them go for cheap, especially if clockspeeds ramp up considerably from zen+ on said parts. For reference, TR 16c/32t is $900 msrp.

Unless something miraculous happens with Intel and their cores/$ gets alot better I won't expect to see Ryzen (not TR) 16c/32t until like 7nm++

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Seamonster posted:

Unless something miraculous happens with Intel and their cores/$ gets alot better I won't expect to see Ryzen (not TR) 16c/32t until like 7nm++
It's not really technically feasible to have more than a 4 core CCX. It would have to be zen3 or beyond, and even then I question how they'd do it.

I think we will sooner see the TR style chips become the norm with better support for everyday desktop/gaming use from the OS and cpu itself.

edit: To be clear, you CAN do it, but it's really complicated and has problems with performance or increased complexity in communication between cores.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 2, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah, aint no way 16c monolithic would be the mainstream mask at mainstream prices.

AMD's goal for Zen2 is likely the 9800k head on. and frankly if they can pull that off, it will be a massive achievement.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

wargames posted:

so 5 ghz+ confirmed from your uncle that works at AMD.

Now we just need some sketchy benchmark scores to extrapolate from!

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I mean have you seen the embedded EPYC products?

I can imagine AMD could make a similar desktop product for AM4 and Zen2, so no need to scale the number of cores per die and just stick the strengths of the current design and make them even better. In fact I think that's probably a great way to differentiate future 500 series boards from 400 series, introduction of quad channel on X570 for dual die variants, where a new X550 takes is dual channel only X570, and B550 and A520 are just direct send ups.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EmpyreanFlux posted:

I mean have you seen the embedded EPYC products?

I think the new CCX is 6C/8C though, so why would you need to do this?

quote:

I can imagine AMD could make a similar desktop product for AM4 and Zen2, so no need to scale the number of cores per die and just stick the strengths of the current design and make them even better. In fact I think that's probably a great way to differentiate future 500 series boards from 400 series, introduction of quad channel on X570 for dual die variants, where a new X550 takes is dual channel only X570, and B550 and A520 are just direct send ups.

Embedded Epyc is, well, embedded. Probably not enough pins to do that on AM4, unless AMD introduces a new socket for it (they never said they won't do that, just that AM4 will remain an active product through 2020).

While we're throwing around wishlists for more pins, though, how about giving us the extra 8 PCIe lanes too?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Roughly how long is it after engineering samples become available before the retail release?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Roughly how long is it after engineering samples become available before the retail release?

Epyc won't officially launch until 2019 and then Ryzen will follow that by some length.

My impression is that hitting their usual March launch date sounds potentially possible but optimistic at this point. Maybe middle of the year, maybe September.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ultimately it's whenever the thing is stable. You do not want to release something that is going to blue screen even 0.1% of the times you boot it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I really doubt that AMD has an early ES going 4.5ghz. Makes the whole story sound fake. It's like the exact opposite of what you do with engineering samples.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I'm pretty sure there are multiple rounds of engineering samples. Sometimes you get engineering samples that leak to press or benchmarks a few weeks or a month before release. But those are more like QC stuff that run full speed and doesn't crash.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Well, a normal lead time for a chip is like 2-3 months so if there are hardware bugs that need to be fixed...

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Even if we take the "leak" at face value, I'd be extremely down for a 4.5Ghz 9900k at half the power.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Does anyone have a comprehensive AMD product stack chart they can link? My google fu just ain't feelin' it this morning. Specifically, the low-end, <35W.

Never mind, found it, of course complaining made it work.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 3, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
7nm at CES 2019:

https://twitter.com/anandtech/status/1047500761238851590

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Between this, and "Polaris 30", I don't know which rumor is more hilariously fake.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105105-Code-0E-Load-VGA-Bios

Not really impressed for what I paid for this board, especially given that it's not a new board and ASUS makes Turing cards themselves. One of the reasons I picked it was because it had already had a year out to work out all the kinks. I'm doing GPU passthrough so I need a second physical GPU. Good thing I thought to test this poo poo before draining my loop. This should have been caught, and they should have had a day one Turing compatibility BIOS.

I'm seriously considering going through the effort of ripping this out and replacing it with a taichi, which would certainly ship faster than ASUS will ship a new BIOS.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
An incredibly important development for Threadrippers larger than 16 cores:

Dynamic Local Mode.

Advanced Micro Devices posted:

Dynamic Local Mode is implemented as a Windows® 10 background service that measures how much CPU time each thread on the system is consuming. These threads are then ranked from most to least demanding, and the top threads are automatically pushed to the CPU cores that contain direct memory access. Once these cores are consumed by work, additional threads are scheduled and executed on the next available CPU core. This process is continuous while the service is running, ensuring the most demanding threads always get preferential time on cores with local memory. (As a corollary, insignificant threads are pushed to other dies.)

Essentially, demanding threads automatically get scheduled onto the CCXs with direct memory access. It should help significantly with mitigating any performance regression going from the 2950X to the 2990WX.

When is this goodness available?

Advanced Micro Devices posted:

Dynamic Local Mode available starting October 29th

Beginning October 29th, Dynamic Local Mode will be a new package included with the latest version of AMD Ryzen™ Master. Downloading AMD Ryzen™ Master on or after the afternoon of 10/29 will automatically configure Dynamic Local Mode on your system if it contains an AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper 2990WX or 2970WX processor (also available starting 10/29). Looking further ahead, AMD also plans to open the feature up to even more users by including Dynamic Local Mode as a default package in the AMD Chipset Drivers.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 7, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

An incredibly important development for Threadrippers larger than 16 cores:

Dynamic Local Mode.

Essentially, demanding threads automatically get scheduled onto the CCXs with direct memory access. It should help significantly with mitigating any performance regression going from the 2950X to the 2990WX.

When is this goodness available?

You would think that this would be a scheduler thing, not a thing that would run in a service.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

You would think that this would be a scheduler thing, not a thing that would run in a service.

I'm guessing they'd prefer Microsoft would roll it into Windows, just like HyperThreading awareness is a part of Windows, but maybe it just takes time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You'd think that'd be a thing that's automagically there via NUMA awareness. The special no-memory case with the 4-die Threadrippers is probably new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

You'd think that'd be a thing that's automagically there via NUMA awareness. The special no-memory case with the 4-die Threadrippers is probably new.

Since Windows is already NUMA aware I am guessing it has something to do with this. I can't imagine the latencies being that high that it needs a new scheduling paradigm though.