Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

If Americans had a justice system, every cop there would be immediately arrested and charged with forcible kidnapping. Gestapo tactics have no legitimacy, and any court that upholds them is corrupted by doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

video of cops snatching people up into unmarked vans in nyc

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDM7z3GJnxP/?igshid=4y3trn2nlu56

What the gently caress

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Usually the VP pick themselves isn’t told until they have to board a plane and head for the announcement. Remember the whole debacle of Trump trying to get out of picking Pence while he was airborne.

This year they’re not even going to be in the same room. I’m sure the finalist have all been told to have a speech prepared for Saturday and will get a phone call right beforehand.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the key is that Biden's campaign didn't screw up, Politico did. So like its possible Politico knows who the pick is and screwed up/leaked it. But its also certainly very plausible that they just have a thing written up for all the possible candidates so they can get it out there as quickly as possible.

It's a pre-write that got accidentally put in the publish queue. That's it. Every outlet is doing boiler plate write-ups on the most likely VP picks right now so they can be ready to go on the actual day.

It could very well be Harris but I think smart money is on Duckworth.

Unrelated - Seth Rogan out here talking that poo poo about Israel, you love to see it.

https://twitter.com/jvplive/status/1288203221257932800?s=19

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Feldegast42 posted:

Biden comes out in favor of the blackbagging gestapo

https://twitter.com/boknowsnews/status/1288212348780544002?s=21

Looks like with his VP pick Kamala Harris it seems the democrats are finally done with pretending to care about BLM and are going to go just as fascist law and order as the GOP

That is not a statement in favor of the blackbagging gestapo in any way, shape, or form. Biden explicitly condemns the DHS agents as acting like Trump's "private militia".

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kaal posted:

If Americans had a justice system, every cop there would be immediately arrested and charged with forcible kidnapping. Gestapo tactics have no legitimacy, and any court that upholds them is corrupted by doing so.
They're boiling the frog. The feds are getting away with having unidentified paramilitary security services snatching people off the streets and into unmarked vans. So now local enforcement will have a go to see if they can get away with it too. If nobody steps in and makes them stop, by November they'll Fred Hampton the BLM protest leadership and talk about it in press conferences as counterinsurgency.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DaveWoo posted:

That is not a statement in favor of the blackbagging gestapo in any way, shape, or form. Biden explicitly condemns the DHS agents as acting like Trump's "private militia".
Yeah, this is just his way of saying that the blackbagging gestapo need to go back to terrorizing brown people in the southwest instead of white people in real cities.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The right wing sees protesters as all rioters and arsonists wanting to burn down Targets, but most people look at them as two separate things. A holistic view that sees all unrest as justified reaction to oppression isn't as common as you'd hope, but it also means that when someone says "we need to protect against arsonists" they're not explicitly saying "we need to lock up all protesters because they're dangerous."

I don't want to defend Biden here, but he said in there that he doesn't like what the feds are doing now, and that they didn't need to do stuff like what Trump is doing in order to keep things safe. It's not the response I'd like, which would be a full-throated denunciation of these tactics and a call for actual consequences for the perpetrators, but I don't see in there a message that he wants to do what Trump's doing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DaveWoo posted:

right he'd rather the local cops black bag the 'anarchists', a thing it's not a crime to be

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Grondoth posted:

The right wing sees protesters as all rioters and arsonists wanting to burn down Targets, but most people look at them as two separate things. A holistic view that sees all unrest as justified reaction to oppression isn't as common as you'd hope, but it also means that when someone says "we need to protect against arsonists" they're not explicitly saying "we need to lock up all protesters because they're dangerous."

I don't want to defend Biden here, but he said in there that he doesn't like what the feds are doing now, and that they didn't need to do stuff like what Trump is doing in order to keep things safe. It's not the response I'd like, which would be a full-throated denunciation of these tactics and a call for actual consequences for the perpetrators, but I don't see in there a message that he wants to do what Trump's doing.

Are you now or have you ever been, an anarchist?

we've done something very similar before!

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/tuckwoodstock/status/1288106914434281474

Cops are aiming all the poo poo they shoot at people's heads, causing severe physical injuries.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

it's a big club and you ain't in it

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1288096271169773569?s=19

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

It takes a lot to make me angry online but the comments on this tweet have succeeded. These people are loving insane, they show no compassion or human decency whatsoever and have no regards for basic human rights. If a cop is murdering you, you did something wrong, in their minds. There is absolutely no grey area there.

How did we end up here and how can we stop it

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

abigserve posted:

It takes a lot to make me angry online but the comments on this tweet have succeeded. These people are loving insane, they show no compassion or human decency whatsoever and have no regards for basic human rights. If a cop is murdering you, you did something wrong, in their minds. There is absolutely no grey area there.

hundreds of years of racicm and white people doing nothing.

you can stop it by going out and de-arresting people

or harassing your local government to do poo poo about this until they can't stand to see your face

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Are you now or have you ever been, an anarchist?

we've done something very similar before!

Anarchist is a bad thing to be in there, yeah. But I don't think the spirit is one of locking up people who describe themselves as anarchists, but rather one saying that they don't like the destruction of property that's being done and just lumping things together. I think it's behind where the country is, at least people under 45 who probably know someone who identifies as an anarchist, but I get the feeling from the statement that its not explicitly saying that anarchists must get locked up. Instead, it's about saying that businesses' windows shouldn't get broken but we don't need a militarized federal response to keep things all safe and orderly.

Is it good? loving no, but I don't see it as a confirmation that Biden thinks the feds are in the right.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

abigserve posted:

We got here because of systemic racism. We stop it by ending systemic racism. That involves but is not limited to abolishing the police and abolishing the prison system.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Grondoth posted:

Anarchist is a bad thing to be in there, yeah. But I don't think the spirit is one of locking up people who describe themselves as anarchists, but rather one saying that they don't like the destruction of property that's being done and just lumping things together. I think it's behind where the country is, at least people under 45 who probably know someone who identifies as an anarchist, but I get the feeling from the statement that its not explicitly saying that anarchists must get locked up. Instead, it's about saying that businesses' windows shouldn't get broken but we don't need a militarized federal response to keep things all safe and orderly.

if a protest is orderly whats the point of it

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

SubG posted:

We got here because of systemic racism. We stop it by ending systemic racism. That involves but is not limited to abolishing the police and abolishing the prison system.

This too.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Jaxyon posted:

hundreds of years of racicm and white people doing nothing.

you can stop it by going out and de-arresting people

or harassing your local government to do poo poo about this until they can't stand to see your face

It doesn't appear to be **just a race thing, it doesn't matter who is being brutalised and I've seen the same comments on videos and pictures of white people getting the poo poo beaten out of them/shot in the face. It's astonishing, it's like they have no empathy or the part of the brain that's wired to be like "hey, that could be me" is just missing

edit; i retweeted the picture of the girl with a shotgun held to her face and people were like "well she was obviously harassing those officers", this is a young white girl holding a loving phone

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBCNorthAmerica/status/1288071064271159297?s=20

This camera looks pretty heavy, but I'm not sure about the cameras of the era.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

gh0stpinballa posted:

if a protest is orderly whats the point of it

Clearly not much, since no one gave a poo poo about the quadruple murder cop crew until the cop shop lit on fire. But Biden isn't running on "light it all on fire, it's the only way anything will happen," so he'll instead be saying things about calming stuff down and how things don't have to be the way they are.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Honestly, that's really good timing. Shrewd business sense, Mr. King.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

abigserve posted:

It doesn't appear to be **just a race thing, it doesn't matter who is being brutalised and I've seen the same comments on videos and pictures of white people getting the poo poo beaten out of them/shot in the face. It's astonishing, it's like they have no empathy or the part of the brain that's wired to be like "hey, that could be me" is just missing

edit; i retweeted the picture of the girl with a shotgun held to her face and people were like "well she was obviously harassing those officers", this is a young white girl holding a loving phone
This is like pointing out that many Roma ended up in Nazi concentration camps and using that to argue that the SS wasn't antisemitic.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

NYPD learned from the Feds:

They're in street clothes. Yeah how the gently caress do we know that's NYPD and not ICE? That person may never be seen on US soil again.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Grondoth posted:

Clearly not much, since no one gave a poo poo about the quadruple murder cop crew until the cop shop lit on fire. But Biden isn't running on "light it all on fire, it's the only way anything will happen," so he'll instead be saying things about calming stuff down and how things don't have to be the way they are.

He's a politician. His whole job is built around avoiding saying things. If he didn't want to imply that the protestors violent and the root cause of unrest and should be arrested, he could have easily avoided implying that. It's no accident that his sympathies seem to lie the most with local law enforcement, despite their own lovely showing over the past few months.

He doesn't have to explicitly endorse "light it all on fire" to focus attention on the causes of justice and the structural problems with our law enforcement systems, but instead he's settling on "bad people on both sides".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

cr0y posted:

This is also happening for some reason?

Few pages back, but the theory I've seen is that it's an Amazon third-party seller scam where they have to have somebody order a product for it to be a verified review. So someone from the company signs up using a real address they found on Google, orders the product, and they mail a bunch of seeds in the same sized package.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think Biden would order a national quarantine, enforceable or not, he'd order it hoping Dems will listen and stay home. He won't rattle the police unions either.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

ШАТ ТНЕ ФНОСК
Shat the fnosk?

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

SubG posted:

This is like pointing out that many Roma ended up in Nazi concentration camps and using that to argue that the SS wasn't antisemitic.

They're talking about people posting on social media siding with the cops for other reasons in addition to racism, not talking about the cops themselves.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A Terrible Person posted:

Honestly, that's really good timing. Shrewd business sense, Mr. King.

I suggest you read the rodney king wikipedia page

he's been dead for 8 years

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Grondoth posted:

The feds did the same stuff to kids in Ferguson and Baltimore, right down to Obama calling them thugs and outside agitators because a loving gas station and a CVS burned down, respectively.

Biden uses nicer language than Trump because it's an easy win. That's it. He probably wouldn't empower DHS to go full gestapo but that's a pretty low bar considering what the cops and feds get up to anyway.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

LordSloth posted:

Portland: riots
NYC police: you know what we need? more abductions, but this time we’ll do it in broad daylight

https://twitter.com/michellelhooq/status/1288253381883113475?s=21

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

I suggest you read the rodney king wikipedia page

he's been dead for 8 years

Oh. Oh drat.

I didn't know.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Flying-PCP posted:

They're talking about people posting on social media siding with the cops for other reasons in addition to racism, not talking about the cops themselves.
Why would racists endorse police violence against BLM protestors. Yes. This is a real puzzle whose answer somehow isn't systemic racism.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I don't know what exactly, but something is going to crack.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Does anyone else feel like the anti-protest assaults and fascist kidnappings aren't even something Trump really cares about and it's all a last minute scramble to grift as much as possible from the government before he gets voted out? If his tax returns were to come out, and be super dodgy, if he is re-elected then Deutschbank's cover is blown and they have get out of those loans, right? So grift as much as possible to maybe repay them worst-case, or keep both the old and the new money best case. His actions over the years don't strike me as those of someone who cares enough about anything to be malicious over time, just petty in the short-term and most of all do everything to continue the con. Who will support him if there's no money in it for them? They have to know they can't trust him to do anything but protect himself.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Yes there's definitely a more pronounced "strip the copper wiring out of the walls before they get kicked out" feeling.

Dunno if that's because he sees himself losing or if he's just bored with various world events keeping him from getting his way but it's there.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ornedan posted:

https://twitter.com/tuckwoodstock/status/1288106914434281474

Cops are aiming all the poo poo they shoot at people's heads, causing severe physical injuries.

And yet if you wear a helmet to protect yourself, somehow that's doing violence against the cops and gets you blackbagged.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mizaq posted:

Does anyone else feel like the anti-protest assaults and fascist kidnappings aren't even something Trump really cares about and it's all a last minute scramble to grift as much as possible from the government before he gets voted out? If his tax returns were to come out, and be super dodgy, if he is re-elected then Deutschbank's cover is blown and they have get out of those loans, right? So grift as much as possible to maybe repay them worst-case, or keep both the old and the new money best case. His actions over the years don't strike me as those of someone who cares enough about anything to be malicious over time, just petty in the short-term and most of all do everything to continue the con. Who will support him if there's no money in it for them? They have to know they can't trust him to do anything but protect himself.

I'm not following on what part of it is a grift? What does he gain from getting protesters assaulted?

I don't think Trump is a mastermind, but I could see the argument that this is more him being petty and using what power against people he doesn't like, because he's shown this exactly sort of disdain in the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Trump talked about violently assaulting peaceful protestors his entire campaign. He’s doing this because he wants to.