Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
New Pokemon Snap: the human characters land right at the very bottom of the Uncanny Valley for me. They're like animate golems constructed from modeling clay or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Horizon Forbidden West - after Thebes spoilers

How the gently caress are you gonna tease me with an opportunity to kill Ted Faro and then let some dipshit Faro wannabe do it?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Hyrule Warriors: Age Of Calamity. I'm annoyed at how you have to replay levels multiple times just to collect resources for upgrades. It's already a huge game.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order again. The boss fights, and especially the one against Malicos are just tedious. I freely admit that im not very good at this game but even when i've learned the boss' pattern i still have to whittle down their stamina and when i can finally hurt them i do a tiny bit of damage. And then i have to start over again. It just takes forever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shai-Hulud posted:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order again. The boss fights, and especially the one against Malicos are just tedious. I freely admit that im not very good at this game but even when i've learned the boss' pattern i still have to whittle down their stamina and when i can finally hurt them i do a tiny bit of damage. And then i have to start over again. It just takes forever.

Turn the difficulty down.

The move that switches from double sabre to single does a fuckload of damage but if you aren't enjoying the fights just make them easier.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

John Murdoch posted:

It's something I've regularly complained about with Dishonored 1. The developers sprinkled tons of little money piles or treasure items throughout the maps, which incentivizes me to keep the awful detective vision power running 99% of the time (as if I already wasn't incentivized enough, because stealth game) in order to be able to spot them. Hell, the very first time I tried to play the game I got to the end of the tutorial level and was confronted with the end of mission data that has the audacity to tell me outright that I only found 350/600 gold or whatever so I dropped the game and didn't go back to it for a while. :sweatdrop: And unlike a lot of games where money is quickly made valueless, nah, in Dishonored your upgrades cost pretty good sums so it's never not a concern, aside from in the final mission natch.

Dishonored is inspired by the Thief series, and the sprinkling of cash items definitely originates from that. Step away from the notion that you should have every single coin. Yes, there are upgrades and some of them are nice, but I feel none of them are essential. I too was constantly peering with detective whaler mode and with 3/4 of the coinage I was able to have all upgrades at the end.

At least I think I had them all. If I didn't I was holding out on some capacity upgrades for gadgets, some of which I barely used to begin with.

If you want something to be obsessed about, pick bonecharms. Because there are a lot of them and you have a limited amount of slots. Try juggling those little bonuses every time you find a new one :shepface:

(the addition of bonecharm crafting in the sequel that allowed you to make the bonuses very noticable was great)

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:18 on Jun 20, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The bonecharms being randomised is probably the closest the Dishonored games get to a vorpal flaw.

There's a whole white rat build you can do, where eating white rats gives you mana, and you can equip charms that increase the amount of white rats in a swarm, so you can cast a Rat Swarm that consists mostly of white rats which will eat your enemies, and who you later eat to get mana, but you're screwed if you don't get any of those charms. And there's the whole "I play nonlethal stealth but I never get Strong Arms because gently caress you" thing.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Turn the difficulty down.

The move that switches from double sabre to single does a fuckload of damage but if you aren't enjoying the fights just make them easier.

I did. I enjoy the regular enemies but the bosses are just tedious. Sadly it also turns down the aggressivity of the enemies so often the bosses just stand there and wait for you to pummel them.

Its also fun cause in one fight against Trilla it saved right at the moment where shes attacking me so after loading the save the first thing that happened was a lightsaber to the face without any chance of blocking it. You also cant turn down the difficulty in a fight so i actually had to git gud for that one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The only boss I didn't like in Fallen Order was the optional beast boss in that tiny room near the crashed Venator. Just too cramped and buggy to be a fun fight.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

grittyreboot posted:

Hyrule Warriors: Age Of Calamity. I'm annoyed at how you have to replay levels multiple times just to collect resources for upgrades. It's already a huge game.

I straight up 100%ed it and at the end I had enough resource to make maxed out weapons for two characters. The game could stand to ratchet down the grinding by a factor of 10.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mierenneuker posted:

Dishonored is inspired by the Thief series, and the sprinkling of cash items definitely originates from that. Step away from the notion that you should have every single coin. Yes, there are upgrades and some of them are nice, but I feel none of them are essential. I too was constantly peering with detective whaler mode and with 3/4 of the coinage I was able to have all upgrades at the end.

At least I think I had them all. If I didn't I was holding out on some capacity upgrades for gadgets, some of which I barely used to begin with.

If you want something to be obsessed about, pick bonecharms. Because there are a lot of them and you have a limited amount of slots. Try juggling those little bonuses every time you find a new one :shepface:

(the addition of bonecharm crafting in the sequel that allowed you to make the bonuses very noticable was great)

FWIW, I played about the same as you. I didn't resort to like, checking a guide in order to have absolutely every last scrap of money 100% completion or anything. I got maybe 80-90% of the money and indeed it was enough to afford all but a small clutch of ultimately inconsequential upgrades.

I think the critical thing though is that in Thief, literally the point of the game is to steal poo poo whereas Dishonored is ostensibly about being an assassin. And while Thief's maps aren't necessarily smaller than in DH (hell many are probably larger), they do tend to be more compact, with a more simplistic level of detail, and loot tends to be more concentrated in sensible locations and across fewer items. Gold also, IIRC, doesn't bank from mission to mission. And it doesn't really need to, since everything you buy in Thief is smaller-ticket supply items for the next mission.

To whit, two thousand gold in Thief nets you an entire shopping list of goodies. A comparable amount of gold in Dishonored gets eaten up by a few big ticket permanent upgrades and maybe afterwards you'll top up your exotic ammo, because that's the one thing that doesn't grow on trees.

And actually...you already need to hunt down blueprints for upgrades in the same way you need to track down runes and bone charms so...I'm increasingly comfortable with saying you could just completely eliminate money as a thing in Dishonored and have a better game for it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

The Moon Monster posted:

I straight up 100%ed it and at the end I had enough resource to make maxed out weapons for two characters. The game could stand to ratchet down the grinding by a factor of 10.

Yeah those games are super grind heavy for some reason. The first one was bad too iirc.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The only boss I didn't like in Fallen Order was the optional beast boss in that tiny room near the crashed Venator. Just too cramped and buggy to be a fun fight.

That or the white spider boss on Kashyyyk. I would be very happy with 75% less wild life in the sequel.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

moosecow333 posted:

That or the white spider boss on Kashyyyk. I would be very happy with 75% less wild life in the sequel.

Same, I've said it before but I'd rather spend my time deflecting blaster bolts and hurling troopers around all day long than chop up another herd of angry space pigs.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Sea Cave in Dragon Quest II can eat an entire bowl of diiiiiicks. It really shows that the back end of this game was barely play tested (a six month development time will do that).

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

moosecow333 posted:

You also get locked into a stupid gladiatorial arena segment where you fight off a wave of small annoying enemies, then a wave of larger enemies, then two mini-bosses at once (one of which is the aforementioned spider iirc) who delight in knocking you over, then ping-ponging you between each other. Lose, and you start from wave one. Easy way to do it is to tank health stims, providing you've found extra ones. Guess who discovered he hadn't found any yet?

I got through it eventually, but wow was it tedious. I realised later that most of the extra health stims were only obtainable if you went back to previously explored zones with new abilites, and there's no way out of the fight to go looking for them once you're in it. gently caress me for trying to get through the story I suppose.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I played that game about a year ago and literally the only boss I can remember anything about is Darth Vader because he's Darth Vader.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I tried to replay Fallen Order recently and this is kind of a dumb complaint, but I had 100%ed it previously so everything was found except for some scans and the health pick ups, and it really turned me off the game because you'd still need to go hunting around (unless you remembered exactly what was where), but 9 times out of 10 all you'd get for it was an empty box. They should have at least given you some XP for interacting with the opened stuff

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Doom 2 - Elternal :

How do Mancubuses eat? They're hands are guns.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Doom 2 - Elternal :

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Doom 2 - Elternal :

They just eat whatever zombie or imp happen to be nearby when they're peckish. Just lean over and bite the head off.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think it's the biggest example I can think of for something in a game that works incredibly well one time, but is a pure annoyance every other time you play through.
The Fade in Dragon Age: Origins. One of the more popular mods for the game was just "skip the whole section".

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

Opopanax posted:

I tried to replay Fallen Order recently and this is kind of a dumb complaint, but I had 100%ed it previously so everything was found except for some scans and the health pick ups, and it really turned me off the game because you'd still need to go hunting around (unless you remembered exactly what was where), but 9 times out of 10 all you'd get for it was an empty box. They should have at least given you some XP for interacting with the opened stuff

This reminds me of a pet peeve of mine, if you've hidden a chest somewhere most players wouldn't think to look or made it difficult to access, it should have something good in it. It's amazing how many games still don't understand this.

No a cloak that looks the same as all the other cloaks doesn't count.

RGX has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Jun 21, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, I slightly prefer secret areas having nothing super important in them, like it sucks a little but it’s honestly just as annoying when something like Bloodstained puts actually important stuff like the item rate drop items behind breakable walls or pogo jumping off candles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

U.T. Raptor posted:

The Fade in Dragon Age: Origins. One of the more popular mods for the game was just "skip the whole section".

I think what made this section interminable for me was that, if you go to Redcliffe Castle first and intend to have the Mages help Connor, then the Fade is yet another 3-hour diversion within a diversion. There's a certain point around the time which you're a spirit rat trying to squeeze through a crack in the wall of dreamland where you gotta be like "why am I even playing this video game anymore."

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

U.T. Raptor posted:

Making something so awful and also handing out stat boosts as a reward for wasting even more dealing with it smdh

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I liked the Fade on my first playthrough because I was playing a Mage and it dovetailed decently with the origin. It wasn't nearly as good on other characters / later playthroughs.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
This is probably just me being uninformed or the fact that I played MH World and Rise the most but I feel like higher ranks in Monster Hunter games don't really do much to differentiate from LR. They just bloat the monsters HP pool and add one or two new attacks. The fights get longer but there's not much more to do or more to decide on.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Terminally Bored posted:

This is probably just me being uninformed or the fact that I played MH World and Rise the most but I feel like higher ranks in Monster Hunter games don't really do much to differentiate from LR. They just bloat the monsters HP pool and add one or two new attacks. The fights get longer but there's not much more to do or more to decide on.

As someone who has played since Freedom Unite....yeah that's sounds about right. There's not much difference between an HR and LR fight against the same.monster except for the stuff you mentioned, and of course the loot. The excitement of HR comes from the wholly new monsters that show up in it (and uh the loot). Honestly I barely even realize that there are new attacks most of the time.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, I slightly prefer secret areas having nothing super important in them, like it sucks a little but it’s honestly just as annoying when something like Bloodstained puts actually important stuff like the item rate drop items behind breakable walls or pogo jumping off candles.

If it's something super important I agree, but I've played enough games recently where I've spotted a hidden chest, spent 15 minutes jumping off pipes and scouting for hidden ledges and been rewarded by.... Some ammo. Or a wooden spoon. Or three gold.

I'm not looking for Erldath the Game Breaking Sword of the Apocalypse here, but maybe a slightly cool weapon or unique piece of armor might make it feel like my time hasn't been entirely wasted. Particularly if you made me do a first person jumping puzzle first. I'm looking at you BL3.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

U.T. Raptor posted:

Ugh, The Fade; not only was it just generally tedious, my dog hated the shapeshifting sound and would lose his poo poo at it every single time I used it

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The Kalm flashback in FF7 is the reason I never replayed that game over the decades. I got up to it once on a replay attempt and couldn't get through it. Then every time I thought to replay it thoughts of Kalm put me off.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Phigs posted:

The Kalm flashback in FF7 is the reason I never replayed that game over the decades. I got up to it once on a replay attempt and couldn't get through it. Then every time I thought to replay it thoughts of Kalm put me off.

The game really doesn't respect your time, but that's a jrpg for you

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Phigs posted:

Most of my replays are the same, but ultimately thats fine because the Midgar section is so much stronger than the rest of the game. Not that the rest is bad, but the first 6 hours of FF7 is why its so fondly remembered.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Whyyyyyy can’t I skip cutscenes in Jedi fallen order and ghost of Tsushima it is 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Monster train is pretty fun but it does have the thing that I don't like with unlocking new stuff, that the pool gets too diluted.

Only played it for a few days so maybe it'll be fine. The game is pretty good and trying to find synergies for each faction is enjoyable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Calaveron posted:

ghost of Tsushima

Try new game + :smugdog:

(which is almost worse, because they knew folks wanted to skip cutscenes but didn't retroactively apply it to regular runs)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ilmucche posted:

Monster train is pretty fun but it does have the thing that I don't like with unlocking new stuff, that the pool gets too diluted.

Only played it for a few days so maybe it'll be fine. The game is pretty good and trying to find synergies for each faction is enjoyable.

What killed me is how many of the difficulty levels just add more bullshit garbage to your starting deck. Really made the first few encounters a tedious drag when your deck is like 27 cards at the start and only five are worth drawing.

Especially because it’s not actually a well made card game so simple engine enablers like “draw 3 cards for 1 energy” don’t exist. Or at least didn’t, I haven’t played since before the DLC.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There were a few cards that got to be played free on discard but I never saw any filtering cards to actually discard them. Or imps matter cards were hard to come by, stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah the whole game was like that. It’s so hard to do anything interesting because the cool part (summoning big monsters and casting spells) was gated by a very poorly executed deck builder.

It still remains one of the best Slay the Spire trend chasers because that genre is dire. Turns out making a good card game is tough. Slay the Spire rules though.