Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

boz
Oct 16, 2005
My least favorite videogame genre name is "character action game"

I'm also upset because those are some of my favorites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Soulslike: A game that has any single mechanic or vibe in common with a FromSoft game. Also, any game that is just somewhat difficult.

Soulslike-core: A game that has two commonalities.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s because soulsbournes are just a niche flavour of the broader genre that is “3rd person action adventure”.

To refer back to your earlier music analogy they’d just be the equivalent of “soulscore” as a nitpicky genre label.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

RTS is a good name. Flight Sim is a good name. Simple, clear, descriptive even if you are new.

Platformer is alright, it’s at least from a literal core element of the central mechanic and is present in virtually any game it describes.

My fav games are all Soulsikes, Metroidvanias, Imm Sims, and CAGs. Bad names only.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s because soulsbournes are just a niche flavour of the broader genre that is “3rd person action adventure”.

To refer back to your earlier music analogy they’d just be the equivalent of “soulscore” as a nitpicky genre label.

Can't disagree with that.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Helldivers 2 controversy part 2 - Ghost of Tsushima Edition

eurogamer posted:

Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut PC players are getting auto-refunds if they cannot legally sign up for PSN
"The publisher of this game is now requiring a secondary account and this account cannot be created from your country."
Eurogamer

:lmao: :lol: :lmao:

Did Sony learn nothing from previous episode?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It looks like Valve making a pre-emptive move. Gaben just does not want to deal with that bullshit. Sony needs to take a hard look at how they're doing the PC side of things because they are being a parody of themselves at this point. In Japan they're called Kusony (poo poo sony) for a reason

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PC gamers don’t deserve nice things so I don’t see the problem tbh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the reason -like and -core and Vania tend to be so off putting as genres is that they are just there to say "wink wink, you like that one thing, so we copied it and you'll like this too" If someone brought up a "screamcore" band or whatever, I'm not thinking "oh wow what is their creative angle?!" I already know it's some teenager screaming over terrible metal. Just straight genre poo poo that is going to sound exactly like the rest of them. I'm sure a lot of developers and musicians don't like their work pigeonholed into a subgenre like that, but if it's easily categorized that way, that's on them.

But games you can only describe with broader genre names are wide open. It's a platformer? ok what kind of platformer? What are the rules? what's the hook? Show me what the game is like. Could be anything. If it's a Souls-like or Rouge-lite or metroidvania you basically know exactly what you are getting without even seeing the game. It sort of quietly signifies that the game is deeply uncreative in some way. i think that's why people get spicy about those names getting used for games they like. I fuckin hate Soulslikes for this reason, but games like Stellar Blade and Jedi Survivor could probably be categorized as that. If someone calls them that though, my response is gonna be "um, akshully" because they have so much more going on that is seems not only inaccurate, but doing them a disservice. That's just one genre though there's a bunch like that. Souls is just the easiest, cause it's the most frequently ripped off game series. I also hate that Inscryption is labeled a "rouge-like deck builder' And Hunt: Showdown is an "extraction" game, even though technically that's sort of accurate on both counts. Anyways I'm rambling, but I think that's whats happening with animal well. You don't want to reduce something you think is really cool and unique to a niche subgenre that is full of really hackey poo poo. Those genre names just do a bad job of expressing what you think is unique about a game. It just defines what isn't unique about them.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Look. I'm callin' em doomclones, and that's it.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I think it's more helpful to think of these labels as descriptors that games can (and frequently should) have more than one applied to them to help describe what the game is like, rather than discrete buckets that games can only fall into one of. Soulslike isn't a genre, it's a descriptor of a set of game mechanics and designs. Same with Metroidvania, and even things like FPS and platformer. Games are often many things at once. Some may defy all existing common labels, and whenever that happens you can be sure the discourse will quickly define one, even if that label nomenclature ends up being really stupid.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Jeff Gerstmann was complaining about labels like this recently. His problem is that stuff like metroidvania only means something if you’re familiar with a specific kind of Metroid or Castlevania (or Dark Souls for souls-like, etc) and it’s meaningless to someone not familiar with them, where something like “search action” is a little more descriptive (if imperfect).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Baggot posted:

I think it's more helpful to think of these labels as descriptors that games can (and frequently should) have more than one applied to them to help describe what the game is like, rather than discrete buckets that games can only fall into one of. Soulslike isn't a genre, it's a descriptor of a set of game mechanics and designs. Same with Metroidvania, and even things like FPS and platformer. Games are often many things at once. Some may defy all existing common labels, and whenever that happens you can be sure the discourse will quickly define one, even if that label nomenclature ends up being really stupid.

Exactly. There are a lot of games that can fit squarely into a genre, but no great game can comfortably be labeled as that because to be great it has to have a lot more going on than just being a "metroidvania" or "-like"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fifteen of Many posted:

Jeff Gerstmann was complaining about labels like this recently. His problem is that stuff like metroidvania only means something if you’re familiar with a specific kind of Metroid or Castlevania (or Dark Souls for souls-like, etc) and it’s meaningless to someone not familiar with them, where something like “search action” is a little more descriptive (if imperfect).

I kinda disagree. I think they have become so ubiquitous that even people who have not played the original games know what it means more often than not. I think the bigger problem is that they are reductive.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Wasn’t the Japanese term for them something like “search action”? Which honestly works a lot better even if it’s a little clunky sounding after translation.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I think ive found my new fav way of playing cyberpunk, by going totally hudless in the day to day, just walking around, no hub whatsoever (cept for scanning) no names or anything, putting on the radio and just straight up slowwalking. Pure vibes. Random scuffles i get into are tense but doable. When im ready to work a mission then of course the work huds are up, not everything tho, just the stuff that makes sense.

Completely changes everything, taking in the sights and sounds, this gonna add another few 100 hours to the save file

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like Doom clone stopped being relevant after just a few years, because pretty quickly FPS stopped just being clones of Doom. Even in the 2.5d era you had stuff like Duke Nukem and even early first person RPGs that weren't really just Doom with another name. Ultimately it became a genre so broad that Doom clone just stopped working. "Souls-like" on the other hand has stayed relevant for 15 years, because no one who make souls clones has a single original idea knocking around in their heads.

soulslike is daft, but it has nothing on soulsborne

the two words i'd be happy never hearing come out of someone's mouth again are soulsborne and buildcraft

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

cubicle gangster posted:

I just watched this on a flight last night too, really loved it also. The siblings and performances in the small moments were flawless.
I'm half way through reading the sellout by Paul Beatty which is a really interesting pairing - mostly because it sort of manages to be the book that couldn't exist in the movie - both proper literature and incredibly 'black' in a way the publishers of the movie demanded.

I have not played videogames in 10 days and still won't be able to get back until Wednesday. Itching to get back to dd2.

Oh yeah for sure. The Sellout was definitely on my mind while watching too

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Vikar Jerome posted:

I think ive found my new fav way of playing cyberpunk, by going totally hudless in the day to day, just walking around, no hub whatsoever (cept for scanning) no names or anything, putting on the radio and just straight up slowwalking. Pure vibes. Random scuffles i get into are tense but doable. When im ready to work a mission then of course the work huds are up, not everything tho, just the stuff that makes sense.

Completely changes everything, taking in the sights and sounds, this gonna add another few 100 hours to the save file

I liked doing this but from behind a steering wheel.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

tryna get back on my bullshit

:siren: notable releases for week 20 ( 05.13 - 05.19)

Braid: Anniversary Edition (PS5/PS4/X|S/Xbone/Switch/PC/Mobile, 05/15/2024)

PO'ed Definitive Edition (PS5/PS4/X|S/Xbone/Switch/PC, PS405/16/2024)

Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut (PC release, 05/16/2024)

addendum, Indika was supposed to drop for consoles on 05/08 but is apparently in limbo with no word from anyone on a revised console date, gonna list it here with its original release date in the hope that they push it out any day. game could use some more attention anyways

Indika (PS5/X|S/PC, 05/08/2024)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

tryna get back on my bullshit

:siren: notable releases for week 20 ( 05.13 - 05.19)

Braid: Anniversary Edition (PS5/PS4/X|S/Xbone/Switch/PC/Mobile, 05/15/2024)

Lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When the world needed him (Soulja Boy) most, he vanished

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

perennially grating human accent skillup made a really good condensed video about the state of the industry, layoffs, and xbox

could just as well apply to sony, what with recent studio closures and the bungie scuffle, but lol...69.BILLION.DOLLARS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAb21GaTEGw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There’s a good chance Microsoft-Activision goes down in history alongside AOL-Time Warner

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

haveblue posted:

There’s a good chance Microsoft-Activision goes down in history alongside AOL-Time Warner
Once again, Bobby Kotich somehow has the last laugh

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Once again, Bobby Kotich somehow has the last laugh

he'll be running tik tok in 6 months

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

he'll be running tik tok in 6 months

That would be funny, but that court case to stop the ban will probably be successful in TikTok's favor.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

soulslike is daft, but it has nothing on soulsborne

the two words i'd be happy never hearing come out of someone's mouth again are soulsborne and buildcraft
Soulsborne isn't a genre, it's just the collective name for the Souls series and its spiritual successors

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Volte posted:

Soulsborne isn't a genre, it's just the collective name for the Souls series and its spiritual successors

NO!

i say to you no

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He's right though. I've never heard anyone call a non fromsoft game Soulsborne.

Also I don't think the man who really tried to make "bloodsouls" a thing has much room to judge :v:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
souls games are simon's quest-likes

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Resident Evil 1 is a really good AitD-like.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Today instead of talking about genre labels I spent several hours playing Animal Well and having an excellent time!!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I passed some rainy hours by playing FFX, which is a pretty good DragonQuest-Core.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I have a dedicated space on my shelf for all of my Soulsbornekiro Ring games.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Fifteen of Many posted:

I have a dedicated space on my shelf for all of my Soulsbornekiro Ring games.

Call them Severence: Blade of Darkness-likes. You keep them in your Larder-core.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Soulsborne’s are just Kings Field-likes

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Tables were a brilliant invention but chairs are just uninspired cushion-core

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Chairs with wheels are easymode trash made by woke furniture devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Idk if that’s an intentional joke about wheelchairs and how chuds view accessibility or if you stumbled into it why thinking about rolling office chairs. The ambiguity def makes it funnier though.