Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

sure, you're nowhere near representative, though.

Of what, the typical new Subaru buyer?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Amazon will absolutely pay you more than 200k to be a Solutions Architect, for instance.

Then you are working for Amazon and there is no loving amount of money worth selling your soul for that. They have offered twice to me and I dont care how big the offer was, there's things worth more than money like a healthy work life balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

There's a lot of tech companies that pay as well/better than Amazon and won't destroy your work life balance. Lots of them. gently caress Amazon.

I know this isn't the thread for it and I won't say any more after this. But if you are experienced in tech especially in the US you owe it to yourself to survey the market. Compensation has gone up A LOT the past few years. If you need help with guidance or negotiation advice come pay us a visit in BFC. We've helped tons of goons get paid more than they ever thought possible.

Get the job to fund your AI projects and desires. Now is the time.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Then you are working for Amazon and there is no loving amount of money worth selling your soul for that. They have offered twice to me and I dont care how big the offer was, there's things worth more than money like a healthy work life balance.
The going rate these days for a L7 technical employee (one below Director at places like El Goog) is right around 7 figures, inclusive of both cash and stock. 1-2 levels below that is in the $400K-1M range. And that's working big tech hours, which are a joke. There's lots of people who are in semi-retirement at these places and it is a sweet deal

I agree with you in that I'm personally not interested, but I'm not going to judge anyone who goes for it

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I’ve passed on a job because I’m not personally interested in working for them, but the work/life balance thing is heavily dependent on where you are in the organization and who your manager is. I know people who’ve had it really easy there and made a lot of money and people who have had an awful time.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Lmao did I choose the wrong career path in life to fuel my carcaine habits holy poo poo tech bro life sounds amazing

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BrownieVK posted:

Lmao did I choose the wrong career path in life to fuel my carcaine habits holy poo poo tech bro life sounds amazing

It's not. Most companies are ridiculously selective now. The fabled $100k after college at a tech company is basically propaganda at this point. To get the $200k number thrown around you need to either be a super genius, incredibly lucky, have 10+ years of experience, or work yourself to death. Usually all of the above.

Like I'm making ~$70k now, and it's the most I've ever made, and that's after 4 years of experience and getting a Masters degree, and it still took being unemployed for over a year before I got this job.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; nvm will just PM

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's not. Most companies are ridiculously selective now. The fabled $100k after college at a tech company is basically propaganda at this point. To get the $200k number thrown around you need to either be a super genius, incredibly lucky, have 10+ years of experience, or work yourself to death. Usually all of the above.

Like I'm making ~$70k now, and it's the most I've ever made, and that's after 4 years of experience and getting a Masters degree, and it still took being unemployed for over a year before I got this job.

Maybe this depends heavily upon where you are. I don't have a degree and was above your latter number with two years of experience at an agency (satan's hell hole). I'm in the levels.fyi 75th percentile area for Phoenix at a no-name smaller company with absurdly great wlb five years later.

I think the LC grind is pretty much all that deters me from going somewhere else right now.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 16, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I’m dumb, lazy, have no degree, and make really good money in tech. I could make way more if I was smart and willing to work myself to death. You’re probably not going to make 200k fresh out of college but there’s still a LOT of money being thrown around and you can work your way up to it pretty quickly if you acquire skills in hot areas like cloud and devops.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s what we call “being on the customer side.”

If I don't create problems then the people who fix them will be out of work.

When you think about it I'm a jobs creator.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Of what, the typical new Subaru buyer?

the typical new car buyer, more like

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Speaking of the typical new car buyer I saw this blurb in a CNBC article about the Fed rate increase:

quote:

Car buyers taking out loans for a new vehicle borrowed an average of $39,721 in 2021, an increase of over $4,000 from a year earlier, according to Experian. As a result, monthly loan payments hit a record high of $644.

An 11% increase in one year is just :psyduck:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FBS posted:

Speaking of the typical new car buyer I saw this blurb in a CNBC article about the Fed rate increase:

:wtc: If the average new car price is $35K and the average amount borrowed is $40K are people literally just buying new cars with zero money down or something? I assume that $35K figure doesn't include taxes and whatnot?

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
They’re rolling their old loan into the new one

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sab669 posted:

:wtc: If the average new car price is $35K and the average amount borrowed is $40K are people literally just buying new cars with zero money down or something? I assume that $35K figure doesn't include taxes and whatnot?

The average transaction price is up to $47k

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there are for sure a lot of neggy eggy rolls but yeah, average loan amounts are still below average transaction prices

also why would you not just finance as much of the purchase as possible? until recently auto loan money was basically free.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FBS posted:

The average transaction price is up to $47k

Ah, well, look at that. I just had the 35K figure in my head from yesterday's discussion I guess :v:

I wish I knew what people were buying when they're paying $650/mo. Like are people really only putting 7 down on their mildly optioned 3 series? Wack.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 17, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FBS posted:

That’s the dealer markup being rolled into the loan :v:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sab669 posted:

Ah, well, look at that. I just had the 35K figure in my head from yesterday's discussion I guess :v:

I wish I knew what people were buying when they're paying $650/mo. Like are people really only putting 7 down on their mildly optioned 3 series? Wack.

My wife works at a bank, and regularly sees people with 900 to 1400 dollar car payments. Generally very large SUV's and full size trucks with top trim packages. There's not a ton of foreign luxury in my area :texas:, but no shortage of 70 to 90 thousand dollar domestic trucks and suv's. You can't be the only mom in the pickup line at school that isn't in a Yukon Denali or Tahoe High Country.

650 a month for 72 months is only 46,800 dollars. That's a Ford Explorer XLT with zero down and fees rolled into the loan. My lease payment on my Expedition is 900 a month. The middle and top market vehicles are getting really expensive and people keep buying them. The auto manufacturers put out even more expensive vehicles and people keep buying them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'll admit I absolutely fantasize about what I'd be driving if I didn't have my $730/mo student loans and could put that towards a car payment instead... but even with my terrible financial skills/practices, financing that much of a car purchase is just insane to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sab669 posted:

when you can borrow at mid 2%, why put any money down other than what's absolutely necessary?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I got a 1.9% rate on my F-150. I also bought it at a big discount and before prices went crazy. With inflation what it is now I feel pretty good about keeping my cash in the market instead of putting a lot down.

If your loan rate is less than what you can get by keeping your cash in stocks/bonds/savings don't use it as a down payment. Put nothing down or as little as possible. The cash will earn you more than you would save in interest.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 17, 2022

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I guess I was fixated on keeping my monthly at $400 for 60 months because I'm an unimaginative codger

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Pretty sure the manufacturers are just baking the financing cost into the vehicle price which is partly why stuff keeps going up so much

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Zero One posted:

I got a 1.9% rate on my F-150. I also bought it at a big discount and before prices went crazy. With inflation what it is now I feel pretty good about keeping my cash in the market instead of putting a lot down.

If your loan rate is less than what you can get by keeping your cash in stocks/bonds/savings don't use it as a down payment. Put nothing down or as little as possible. The cash will earn you more than you would save in interest.

I do think there is something to be said for keeping extra cash on hand, especially if you are investing it... But still financing 85% of a depreciating asset's cost just doesn't sit right with me lol.

Nohearum posted:

Pretty sure the manufacturers are just baking the financing cost into the vehicle price which is partly why stuff keeps going up so much

I've had this thought too. Kinda like education loans. When everyone's practically guaranteed lending, it becomes really easy to just keep jacking it up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I do think there is something to be said for keeping extra cash on hand, especially if you are investing it... But still financing 85% of a depreciating asset's cost just doesn't sit right with me lol.

I've had this thought too. Kinda like education loans. When everyone's practically guaranteed lending, it becomes really easy to just keep jacking it up.

versus paying cash on the nail for a depreciating asset? i don't get why that's better

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Oh look a video of new cars coming out between 2022 and 2024:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHCyzP0pUuc

Whoops all electric SUVs

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Zero One posted:

This is what I did with my current car instead of using the sale of my last car as a down payment. The payments hurt a little but I should have no problem beating the 2% loan rate, right? The stock market is totally fine and doing great! :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nohearum posted:

Can't be that because my credit union is offering rates that low and they definitely aren't getting kickbacks from manufacturers.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
$0 down is great in a vacuum but if car prices eventually go down, and your car is totaled due to no fault of your own, and the value of the car is lower than your remaining principal you're kinda boned.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is what gap coverage is for

Your point is valid, the math should be done

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

For sure. Gap tends to be insanely cheap, though.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Kunabomber posted:

I guess I was fixated on keeping my monthly at $400 for 60 months because I'm an unimaginative codger

This is why my wife's Tahoe is a 4 year old mid level trim, I refuse to pay $600+ on a car payment, poo poo's whacked. Of course that also means I'm going to drive my outback into the dirt or I guess I've priced myself into a Maverick.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

This is why my wife's Tahoe is a 4 year old mid level trim, I refuse to pay $600+ on a car payment, poo poo's whacked. Of course that also means I'm going to drive my outback into the dirt or I guess I've priced myself into a Maverick.

It's an Outback, they're supposed to hit the dirt.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For sure. Gap tends to be insanely cheap, though.

As long as you don't get it from the dealer

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Ah. Yeah, Geico doesn't offer gap insurance.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Good news thanks to the appreciation in used cars no one needs GAP anymore

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

900 to 1400 car payments make me want to puke

my mortgage is 1200 a month

im driving my paid off 2017 honda cr v until gas goes outta style. I was idly fantasizing about Honda sensing safety stuff in a slightly newer model but screw it. That’s just more junk that can break in the long run

wolfs fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 20, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

well most people compensate for the overall borrowing amount by adding term, so that reduces your monthly payment! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can live in your car but you can't race your house