Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just in case anyone was wondering, Victus still scratches at a level 6 with deeper grooves at a level 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQG8mRlYHM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering, Victus still scratches at a level 6 with deeper grooves at a level 7.

That camera bump is actually something you don't want to step over too.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

bull3964 posted:

It's why I'll always get a case and protection for the front not to mention the camera. My phone is currently getting close to shipping itself.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Ever since Google added the "meet" function to Gmail, I no longer get any Gmail notifications. My email doesn't even appear to sync until I open the app, and then it pulls in a million emails. Notifications are definitely turned on, any ideas?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Ever since Google added the "meet" function to Gmail, I no longer get any Gmail notifications. My email doesn't even appear to sync until I open the app, and then it pulls in a million emails. Notifications are definitely turned on, any ideas?

Clear gmail app data?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Grumpwagon posted:

Clear gmail app data?

Cleared, I will see what happens :)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Captain Yossarian posted:

That was happening to me, I thought it started when I opted in to the Android 11 beta. I have since turned off the Meet tab. Now I'm getting notifications again, but I'm not sure if the two are connected. The Pixel support person I talked to wanted me to do a factory reset back to Android 10, but that was a non-starter for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung has released the full list of devices that fall under the "3 generations" policy.

Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, S20 Ultra, S20+ 5G, S20+, S20 5G, S20

Galaxy S10 5G, S10+, S10, S10e, S10 Lite

Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 5G, Note20, Note10+ 5G, Note10+, Note10 5G, Note10, Note10 Lite

Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Z Fold2, Z Flip 5G, Z Flip, Fold 5G, Fold

Galaxy A71 5G, A71, A51 5G, A51, A90 5G

Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G, Tab S7+, Tab S7 5G, Tab S7, Tab S6 5G, Tab S6, Tab S6 Lite

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

hooah posted:

That was happening to me, I thought it started when I opted in to the Android 11 beta. I have since turned off the Meet tab. Now I'm getting notifications again, but I'm not sure if the two are connected. The Pixel support person I talked to wanted me to do a factory reset back to Android 10, but that was a non-starter for me.
How do I turn off the Meet stuff? I will never ever use it and the buttons annoys me.

VVV Thanks!

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 18, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

How do I turn off the Meet stuff? I will never ever use it and the buttons annoys me.

Settings > Account name > Show Meet

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

LastInLine posted:

Settings > Account name > Show Meet

Perfect, thanks. Looks like Meet's back off the menu, boys.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Oh gently caress, I didn't realize until just now that my google pixel stopped getting security updates. This sorta worries me. I guess I should think about getting a new phone. :ohdear:

Any thoughts on the Pixel 4a yet?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Morter posted:

Oh gently caress, I didn't realize until just now that my google pixel stopped getting security updates. This sorta worries me. I guess I should think about getting a new phone. :ohdear:

Any thoughts on the Pixel 4a yet?

Fine phone all around, great value, if you want a bigger phone with a nicer screen and faster CPU you should get one of the $400 or $450 discounted Oneplus 7T or 7 Pro, but the 4a is a great option.

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007
Is there an Android Auto thread?

I do a lot of driving for my job and count on AA for maps, texting and entertainment. I have a 2019 Honda CR-V and a Samsung S9 and I cannot get it to work well. Freezing, extreme lagging, ignored commands...

I have tried everything I can think of (reinstall, reboots, clear cache) to get it to work right. Any advice?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd guess it's the phone before the car, from my experience.

Are you keeping the phone in a hot place? I've had issues with mine in my old car where the A/C didn't work and the phone would either be in the sun or in the unventilated arm rest storage. The phone would get hot and throttle, completely destroying any usability. The phone is running navigation and music and streaming all that into to the car, so the processor is doing a lot of work, while the battery is being charged to keep up.

I also had a Nexus 5x at the time, which didn't help. I'd think an S9 would be (normally) up to the task.

I don't have AA in my current car, but the phone still gets pretty hot charging and streaming music from within the arm rest storage.

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007

Uthor posted:

Are you keeping the phone in a hot place? I've had issues with mine in my old car where the A/C didn't work and the phone would either be in the sun or in the unventilated arm rest storage. The phone would get hot and throttle, completely destroying any usability. The phone is running navigation and music and streaming all that into to the car, so the processor is doing a lot of work, while the battery is being charged to keep up.

I also had a Nexus 5x at the time, which didn't help. I'd think an S9 would be (normally) up to the task.

I don't have AA in my current car, but the phone still gets pretty hot charging and streaming music from within the arm rest storage.

I've had my phone get hot and have issues before but I don't think that's it. It can happen immediately and sometimes will slowly resolve itself instead of getting worse. They only thing that is constant is that there is always *something* wrong.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Uthor posted:

Seconding it being the phone before the car - I have a 2018 Fit and my P4 XL has only ever displayed AA problems after like 5 hours of listening to Spotify, which seemed like a slow memory leak than anything because pulling the cable, waiting for the phone to return to normal, and reconnecting it cleared it up and even retained the navigation route we'd been following.

On the other hand, my car doesn't have the ability to run AA wirelessly so I haven't had the ability to see how much jank Google packed into yet another ostensibly simple wireless function.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Grumpwagon posted:

Clear gmail app data?

hooah posted:

Clearing Gmail app data actually did solve my problem! Notifications and sync is working again. Bless

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Doc_Uzuki posted:

Is there an Android Auto thread?

I do a lot of driving for my job and count on AA for maps, texting and entertainment. I have a 2019 Honda CR-V and a Samsung S9 and I cannot get it to work well. Freezing, extreme lagging, ignored commands...

I have tried everything I can think of (reinstall, reboots, clear cache) to get it to work right. Any advice?

Try a different cable. I have to replace the one I'm using every 6 months or so.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Wacky Delly posted:

Try a different cable. I have to replace the one I'm using every 6 months or so.
That might sound like nonsense, but I have a few micro-USB cables that work fine for charging, but just won't let my computers recognize the device for data sharing. No idea why, they just won't, even though it works fine other cables. If the cable doesn't work for that either, then that might just be the problem.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Current rumors for the Pixel 5:
- XL variant only, no smaller phone
- 6.67-inch display made by BOE and/or Samsung, 540 PPI, 1,440 x 3,330 resolution, aspect ratio of 20.6:9
- Snapdragon 765G
- Display might be 120Hz
- 3,080 mAh battery, Google is rumored to drop the Hz to 90 to maintain battery.

This sounds like the smaller Pixel 4 situation, not the P4XL. The battery is bigger than the P4, but much, much smaller than the P4XL.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

- 6.67-inch display made by BOE and/or Samsung, 540 PPI, 1,440 x 3,330 resolution, aspect ratio of 20.6:9
- Snapdragon 765G
- Display might be 120Hz
- 3,080 mAh battery, Google is rumored to drop the Hz to 90 to maintain battery.

This sounds like the smaller Pixel 4 situation, not the P4XL. The battery is bigger than the P4, but much, much smaller than the P4XL.

I don't place a lot of stock in rumours, but sigh

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

That might sound like nonsense, but I have a few micro-USB cables that work fine for charging, but just won't let my computers recognize the device for data sharing. No idea why, they just won't, even though it works fine other cables. If the cable doesn't work for that either, then that might just be the problem.

Thanks for the input. Just ordered one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't place a lot of stock in rumours, but sigh

Honestly, I don't either. I was going to trade in my P4XL for a P5 because of the whole face unlock thing...but uh... that...that's just bad and confusing, even if I didn't do it.

The other rumor is the P5 will look like a bigger P4a because no Soli...so the only difference is name only and like two or three internals. This is what other companies do but I think it's still going to confuse the masses.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I really want to kick who is responsible for phone enclosure design at Google a swift kick in the crotch because holy poo poo these batteries

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, something doesn't line up there. One of those numbers would HAVE to be wrong. That's almost a full inch larger screen with a battery 100mah smaller than the 4a.

So, either the display size is wrong, or the battery size is wrong, or they are filling the phone with sand or something.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

or they are filling the phone with sand or something.

Reminder: this is Google we're talking about, sooooo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Self extruding grip tape?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Wedge shape phone, must find any way to make phones thinner.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

vyst posted:

I really want to kick who is responsible for phone enclosure design at Google a swift kick in the crotch because holy poo poo these batteries
They're fine? Batteries have gotten bigger and SoCs have gotten more efficient over the years. The last time I remember running out of battery was with the Galaxy Nexus when I stayed the night at a friend's house and didn't bring a charger.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I also vote for the sand phone.

Sand can't get in the phone if it's packed full to start with. No IP rating needed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maybe they are sticking a full micro 4/3rds sensor in it and have a complex folding lens mechanism that's taking up the space :D.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
They just announced that they're discontinuing Google Sand and that users will instead need to stuff their device with the new Google Dirt and Google Silica simultaneously.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

In all seriousness, I'm VERY intrigued as to what they're going to do with the 4K/60FPS that they have in Camera 7.4. If the 4a/5/4a 5G can't do it then...what device are they going to use it with? Pixel 4...a line they discontinued early?

Also, 7.5 has motion blur, video sharing (like the current photo sharing directly to apps), and audio zoom.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/31/google-camera-7-5-prepares-new-features-like-audio-zooming-motion-blur-and-more/

Also, Android 11 removes the camera picker so you can only chose from the default camera app.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/08/18/android-11-camera-apps-chooser/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Or maybe they are going even deeper into custom chipset territory with image processing and not relying on the SoC for video recording, removing the limitation.

That would be a very unusual shift to video priority for Google though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

vyst posted:

No poo poo. A full inch larger than an LG G6 with ten percent less battery?

Like, what in the actual gently caress?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

- Snapdragon 765G
- Display might be 120Hz

honestly this sounds like details for 2 different phones being jumbled up but google has absolutely done dumber poo poo before

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I debated turning off 90Hz on my 4XL but it's so drat good turning it off feels like I am using a phone from the 90s.

I would have got the non-XL version if it had the same battery.

Bring back aftermarket batteries

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

120hz and 3000mAh battery are not compatible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How cool would it be if engineering figured out a way to make batteries swappable in flagship phones? If your battery is running low, you could swap it with a fresh one. They could call it QuickCharge 10.