Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Inscryption blew my mind. What's a game that might do that for me? I have played Outer Wilds. It doesn't have to be meta or play like Inscryption does. Just a game that will grab me. Obra Dinn, Signalis. This kind of stuff. Doesn't need puzzles. Maybe I'm asking for too broad a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

snoremac posted:

Inscryption blew my mind. What's a game that might do that for me? I have played Outer Wilds. It doesn't have to be meta or play like Inscryption does. Just a game that will grab me. Obra Dinn, Signalis. This kind of stuff. Doesn't need puzzles. Maybe I'm asking for too broad a thing.

You played Soma? It’s not meta or anything but the story really grabbed me

Edit: the inscryption dude also has 2 other games. Pony island and the Hex

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

snoremac posted:

I mean, free game of the month Animal Well sorta falls into this.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

veni veni veni posted:

You played Soma? It’s not meta or anything but the story really grabbed me

Edit: the inscryption dude also has 2 other games. Pony island and the Hex
Played and loved Soma after hating Amnesia, just as I loved Inscryption after hating Pony Island. I'll look up Hex. Just finished Animal Well. I guess it didn't scratch the itch though I did like it.

I think I'll play Hypnospace Outlaw.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 12, 2024

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

Idk if that’s an intentional joke about wheelchairs and how chuds view accessibility or if you stumbled into it why thinking about rolling office chairs. The ambiguity def makes it funnier though.

Please go with whatever the funnier option is for you I am not smart enough to make a joke work on multiple levels lol

acksplode
May 17, 2004

snoremac posted:

Tunic

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

snoremac posted:

Disco Elysium
5 years after it was released and I still personally feel like it’s my favorite game ever
I guess different people have different things that would blow their mind but I have never vibed with a game harder
I think I only had 70 hours put into that game between a couple playthroughs but the art, music, writing, voice acting and also story line were just so good it fact blew my mind
I never ever buy game soundtracks but I double dipped on this one because every track hits

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Both great suggestions. I agree and have played both.

I've played through Disco once and have replayed the start so many times that it's now boring and I never get more than halfway, but I'd like to experience the whole thing again eventually. I loved the ending.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

snoremac posted:

Games like that for me would be games like Soma, Ghost Trick, Shadow of the Colossus

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh the last guardian too

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Oh the last guardian too
I loved that game. I can see how people got frustrated with it because I did too, but I loved that creature. Such a singular experience.

Ghost Trick might be what I need. I actually have it but never played. Thanks.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Escobarbarian posted:

Today instead of talking about genre labels I spent several hours playing Animal Well and having an excellent time!!

This, but Hades 2.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ueda’s studio said they’ll reveal his next title sometime this year.

I think they also said that last year but I’ve got a good feeling this time.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

tryna get back on my bullshit

:siren: notable releases for week 20 ( 05.13 - 05.19)

Braid: Anniversary Edition (PS5/PS4/X|S/Xbone/Switch/PC/Mobile, 05/15/2024)

Hell yeah, deep references :letsgo:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bugblatter posted:

Resident Evil 1 is a really good AitD-like.

Sweet home-like actually.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

snoremac posted:

Soma, as someone already recommended. Maybe also Pony Island, and the upcoming Pony Island 2: Panda Circus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDSsP3KQAbs

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
WHERE THE gently caress ARE THESE LAST 4 EGGS :supaburn:

Animal Well good

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

anyone else absolutely WALLED by kaisu katsu toward the end of rise of the ronin? playing on default difficulty and am dying in 10-15 seconds a dozen tries in now. this poo poo is absurd

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Wamsutta posted:

anyone else absolutely WALLED by kaisu katsu toward the end of rise of the ronin? playing on default difficulty and am dying in 10-15 seconds a dozen tries in now. this poo poo is absurd

Bosses with very fast or non-standard movesets like him are just harder than everyone else. Don't be afraid to throw firebombs at people, a win is a win.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

sounds like a bunch of people from Deviation (including Jason Blundell) which was shut down by Sony recently have formed another new studio under Sony and are working on a new IP, I assume this all was the result of the change in scope to Sony's live-service plans due to market saturation and Jim Ryan's departure, but who knows

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Done everything you can currently do in Animal Well so until the community discover more insane poo poo I’m done with it for now. Extremely good game, loved all of my time with it.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

sounds like a bunch of people from Deviation (including Jason Blundell) which was shut down by Sony recently have formed another new studio under Sony and are working on a new IP, I assume this all was the result of the change in scope to Sony's live-service plans due to market saturation and Jim Ryan's departure, but who knows

They're probably building something like what Deviation was working on, which was a live service game. Jason Blundell is one of the co-creators of the COD Zombies mode so don't be surprised if the new game is similar to that. I don't think this studio change has much to do with Sony's live service plans changing or not, the rumors are Deviation's upper leadership was bad and the studio was already spiraling when Sony started poaching all the top talent and secretly forming a new internal studio for them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Baggot posted:

They're probably building something like what Deviation was working on, which was a live service game. Jason Blundell is one of the co-creators of the COD Zombies mode so don't be surprised if the new game is similar to that. I don't think this studio change has much to do with Sony's live service plans changing or not, the rumors are Deviation's upper leadership was bad and the studio was already spiraling when Sony started poaching all the top talent and secretly forming a new internal studio for them.

Interesting, thanks for clarifying.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I got a v-moda Boompro mic to use with a set of Sennheisers I have and my PS5 controllers don't seem to be picking up that there is a wired mic. I was able to briefly get it to register by not pushing the jack in all the way but that wasn't a solid connection and I haven't been able to reproduce it again. Anyone else run into something similar when using a wired headset?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I got a v-moda Boompro mic to use with a set of Sennheisers I have and my PS5 controllers don't seem to be picking up that there is a wired mic. I was able to briefly get it to register by not pushing the jack in all the way but that wasn't a solid connection and I haven't been able to reproduce it again. Anyone else run into something similar when using a wired headset?

I have that specific mic and plug it into my DualSense with Sony WH100XM3s (XM4s) all the time. Works flawlessly.

Since the issue seems to be the physical connection, are you able to try it on a different controller (to rule out that your jack's jacked)?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Badly Jester posted:

I have that specific mic and plug it into my DualSense with Sony WH100XM3s (XM4s) all the time. Works flawlessly.

Since the issue seems to be the physical connection, are you able to try it on a different controller (to rule out that your jack's jacked)?

Yes, my other controller doesn't register it either.

I guess logically that would mean something is wrong with the Boompro

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
animal well: lmao at the dachshund

I do wish it was easier to go back for the next try though, there are not enough save points right now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
took me about twenty minutes with animal well to remember that i'm very impressed by games like this but have no interest in or ability to play them

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

animal well:

"hmm, that dog looks different than the others... ... ... ... ... ... :stonk: "

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hehe that's in my spoiler

in the space between seeing it and getting chased I had just barely enough time to think "hey wait a minute, dachshunds were bred for hunting burrowing animals so I wonder if OH CRAP"

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I just wanna say I started playing Trails From Zero and every treasure chest has dialogue after you open it and it's great

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

animal well:

"hmm, that dog looks different than the others... ... ... ... ... ... :stonk: "

It's setup so nicely by the earlier dog encounters, too. "Well I should be safe here...OH NO"

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
I haven't really been thrilled by a videogame since Disco Elysium and Outer Wilds, but Animal Well is really hitting the spot. I'm not even that into metroidvania games, and I bounced off Tunic pretty quickly which seems like a common recent comparison. Obviously the design and abilities are really creative and playful, but I'm a sucker for good sound design and I think it's outstanding here. There seems to be so much care put the environmental sound for each screen and it's very effective at setting the mood. The spoilered moment above is really enhanced by the accompanying sound effect as well. I haven't even been reading the thread for it because I don't want to accidentally spoil anything. Hope it stays as engaging past the first couple of hours!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

RareAcumen posted:

Pokemon Snap

Pokemon Snap is the best Pokemon game because somehow Game Freak has created a world full of wondrous creatures and all you do is loving jrpg battles

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Been playing Lies of P and it is a really nice variation on the souls format.

It looks gorgeous and weird and yeah, it is a tad Bloodborne inspired, but it is doing more than enough to stand on its own two feet. I really like the short cut frequency and the windiness of the maps. Reminds me of how much I loved The Surge and exploring its maps.
The weapon system is also really neat and being able to take a blade and a handle and do varied things is a lot of fun. Like putting a fire axe head on a dagger handle.

So far, so good!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I wish Lies of P had more ambient music because there's some incredible tracks that you only hear if you play the lp player in the hotel lobby. I listened to Quixotic on repeat for a day.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I guess you mean like diegetic music? I love all the LPs you can find. Listened to them all in full, even though I normally ignore that kind of thing in games. Don’t think I’d want them playing as an ambient soundtrack though, I like having pure soundscapes in games like this. As diegetic stuff playing from windows though, sure. Though I think there’s already a bunch in the regions where it makes sense.

Man I want to play LoP again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

morallyobjected posted:

I just wanna say I started playing Trails From Zero and every treasure chest has dialogue after you open it and it's great

Big Atelier Barrel vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKiC1im1Ixc

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Tgent posted:

I haven't really been thrilled by a videogame since Disco Elysium and Outer Wilds, but Animal Well is really hitting the spot. I'm not even that into metroidvania games, and I bounced off Tunic pretty quickly which seems like a common recent comparison. Obviously the design and abilities are really creative and playful, but I'm a sucker for good sound design and I think it's outstanding here. There seems to be so much care put the environmental sound for each screen and it's very effective at setting the mood. The spoilered moment above is really enhanced by the accompanying sound effect as well. I haven't even been reading the thread for it because I don't want to accidentally spoil anything. Hope it stays as engaging past the first couple of hours!
There's this occasional staccato siren sound that can seemingly play anywhere and I'm sure it has some cryptic meaning but I just like the feeling it evokes when it shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I wish Lies of P had more ambient music because there's some incredible tracks that you only hear if you play the lp player in the hotel lobby. I listened to Quixotic on repeat for a day.
It was a neat trick to reward you for listening to those, and they are very good.

In the main game I really like the choir at the start of the opera house music. Grabbed me.