Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

caleb posted:

Daikatana is on humble right now for like a dollar. I guess I'm about to be made a bitch. Can't wait to experience the awesome companion ai I've heard so much about.

There’s a community patch floating around that is supposed to actually fix all the shitiness so you’re only left with a bland shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

No. But it was close! They retweeted the account: https://mobile.twitter.com/dot_bsp
Thank you for the lead, GuyonthecoucH ^^

Barudak
May 7, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

There’s a community patch floating around that is supposed to actually fix all the shitiness so you’re only left with a bland shooter.

It gets slightly but not very much better than bland after the first epiaode but nobody plays that far.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Lampsacus posted:

No. But it was close! They retweeted the account: https://mobile.twitter.com/dot_bsp
Thank you for the lead, GuyonthecoucH ^^

May I also recommend https://twitter.com/dot__UNR if you like Unreal.

And https://twitter.com/Slipseer if you like Quake.

And https://twitter.com/quaddicted if you like random Quakeness that sometimes give you pure unfiltered 1997 in all its beauty.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Still playing through Unreal - I would say I'm about 40% of the way through, judging by the map name list I found online. I'm inside the ISV-KRAN ship, and having a pretty good time so far. The enemies are getting pretty bullet spongey though, but I was prepared for that since most people seem to bring that up during Unreal discussion. I can definitely see how this was a step up graphically from Quake 1 - I think some of the interior environments still look good even today!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That or this

https://mobile.twitter.com/dot_bsp

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm actually mad at how good Earned in Blood is. It came out like 7 months later and makes Hill 30 look like an extended demo.

It reminds me of Call of Duty United Offensive. The original CoD was a spectacle but after the opening levels it turns into another Medal of Honor one-man-against-Germany shoot 'em up. United Offensive was the game that introduced all the staple CoD mission types and drat it's just a way better game in every way.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Base Assault was the only the CoD game mode I ever cared for.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
idk if it was good but OG CoD multiplayer fukking owned

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

New Doom movie highlights:

Where is this thing out? It's streaming only, right?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

Where is this thing out? It's streaming only, right?
It's straight-to-video on October 1st, yes. Seems to have leaked out a little early or something? I dunno.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

al-azad posted:

It reminds me of Call of Duty United Offensive. The original CoD was a spectacle but after the opening levels it turns into another Medal of Honor one-man-against-Germany shoot 'em up. United Offensive was the game that introduced all the staple CoD mission types and drat it's just a way better game in every way.

I came to the CoD games waaaaay late and I still think CoD 1 and especially UO are some of the best of the bunch.

Also, hot take: CoD 2 sucks. :colbert:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

John Murdoch posted:

It's not even tepid. It's the one where enemies blindly spam streams of hand grenades at you with deadly accuracy.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

To be fair to the original Call of Duty there were only a handful of missions in the British campaign that were solo, after the Amazing pegasus bridge mission. Even then they were short and not too bad. Then the Russian campaign turns up the action to 11.:black101:

But yea United Offensive, especially the multiplayer, was amazing. It even had jeeps and tanks!

I miss that mid-2000s era (Tribes, Battlefield, United Offensive, Unreal Tournament 2K4, Quake Wars!) where multiplayer didn’t give a gently caress about your K-D ratio and instead focused on huge, sprawling maps with lots of vehicles, and large player counts and chaos.

Nowadays even Battlefield just focuses on sniper battles and sick 360 no-scope headshots and a map may have one tank...that is easily destroyed and thus no one drives them :(

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I miss that mid-2000s era (Tribes, Battlefield, United Offensive, Unreal Tournament 2K4, Quake Wars!) where multiplayer didn’t give a gently caress about your K-D ratio and instead focused on huge, sprawling maps with lots of vehicles, and large player counts and chaos.

Nowadays even Battlefield just focuses on sniper battles and sick 360 no-scope headshots and a map may have one tank...that is easily destroyed and thus no one drives them :(

While UT2004 ONS didn't care about your k/d ratio, if you're D, you're not charging points or stopping the opponents from charging points, and in a 5v5 league game that was a big deal.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

While UT2004 ONS didn't care about your k/d ratio, if you're D, you're not charging points or stopping the opponents from charging points, and in a 5v5 league game that was a big deal.

Well yes they’re still FPS games and “shoot and kill the other team” is a core component of that.

My argument is they were more focused on teamwork to tackle objectives than individualistic action.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

John Murdoch posted:

The British campaign was pretty decent, I seem to remember, and I finished the Russian campaign and don't remember having an issue, but I got halfway through the American campaign and dropped it. I think it bugged out on me or something and I decided I just didn't want to replay that mission. Defending some town?

Honestly, I get why devs want a D-Day mission, it's an impressive set piece, but I don't think I've played one that isn't a miserable slog of extremely linear but not greatly marked out paths and instant death for deviating even slightly (and I swear, a few times in Allied Assault I did it perfectly and still got a shell in my face).

Edit: It's tangentially related to the thread, but there was discussion about it earlier: Freespace 2 is free on GOG right now.

catlord fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 25, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

[*]Here's a great new Ion Fury usermap that pays loving tribute to Deus Ex's Hong Kong chapter. Most impressive! Alternatively, you can watch a video playthrough here.

Very cool

https://twitter.com/PunishedSanta/status/1176182313539067911?s=20

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is that Matt LeBlanc in an FPS?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

"How you doin'?"

"I SPEEL MY DRINK"

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Freespace 2 is free on GOG.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Freespace 2 is free on GOG.

Ugh, I already own it. All those free sales and I own all the good stuff already. Still, Freespace 2 is a must grab. Make sure to grab the new Knossos (sp?) mod installer, it seems to take place of the old FSO launcher/mod installer and works fantastically.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

catlord posted:

The British campaign was pretty decent, I seem to remember, and I finished the Russian campaign and don't remember having an issue, but I got halfway through the American campaign and dropped it. I think it bugged out on me or something and I decided I just didn't want to replay that mission. Defending some town?

Honestly, I get why devs want a D-Day mission, it's an impressive set piece, but I don't think I've played one that isn't a miserable slog of extremely linear but not greatly marked out paths and instant death for deviating even slightly (and I swear, a few times in Allied Assault I did it perfectly and still got a shell in my face).

The American campaign is definitely a big slog. The first half of the British campaign is alright (and pretty to boot) but the second half is a bit of a mess. The Russian campaign is probably the best overall of the bunch, but suffers from poor map design.

My gut feeling is that they hadn't really figured out how to do that type of shooter (regenerating health) yet so it's all a very rough draft for what MW1 would go on to improve and then MW2 would pretty much perfect. CoD 1 was a bit janky and cover-shooty, but when the action was on it was snappy and tense, albeit at the expense of some bullshit deaths. CoD 2 relies way too much on randomly strewn cover props that need to exist so you have something to hide behind to get your health back, but not for too long because then the enemies simultaneously throw 8 grenades on your head to get you out of all that cover.

The weapons also just felt mushier and worse in a hard to pin down way. I remember getting very annoyed with the rifles. And at the very least I'm pretty sure they outright nerfed the previously reliable MP40 and MP44.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I wish they'd kept the potato.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a Friends doom? I know seinfeld doom exists.

E: I remember there was an ep where Chandler gets a laptop and he and Joey play doom all day

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It has always bothered me that it's Daikatana. It should be Daitou or O-Katana.

John Murdoch posted:

The American campaign is definitely a big slog. The first half of the British campaign is alright (and pretty to boot) but the second half is a bit of a mess. The Russian campaign is probably the best overall of the bunch, but suffers from poor map design.

My gut feeling is that they hadn't really figured out how to do that type of shooter (regenerating health) yet so it's all a very rough draft for what MW1 would go on to improve and then MW2 would pretty much perfect. CoD 1 was a bit janky and cover-shooty, but when the action was on it was snappy and tense, albeit at the expense of some bullshit deaths. CoD 2 relies way too much on randomly strewn cover props that need to exist so you have something to hide behind to get your health back, but not for too long because then the enemies simultaneously throw 8 grenades on your head to get you out of all that cover.

The weapons also just felt mushier and worse in a hard to pin down way. I remember getting very annoyed with the rifles. And at the very least I'm pretty sure they outright nerfed the previously reliable MP40 and MP44.

Pet peeve #2, if I don't beeline to the first dropped StG 44 in a WW2 game you have failed to make a good WW2 game.

e: Respawn developing a new Medal of Honor game for the Oculus so they better uphold my statement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARC4_Rp01-U

I think I'll revisit MoH after I'm done with Band of Brothers.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 25, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

It should be "O Katana bella tchi tchi" IMO.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i've been playing Project Brutality again and god drat i forgot how loving hilarious the flying kick could be

i can literally Liu Kang kick a zombieman's head off, 180 to look at his corpse still standing and twitching and spurting blood out the neck, and then flip him off and yell "GO gently caress YOURSELF"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

al-azad posted:

I was talking to a metal smith a while back and he insisted that there’s no such thing as a “daikatana”, and even though I kept telling him that there was even a game named after the fabled blade, it took me going to my car and showing him the daikatana I’ve had in my trunk (for way too long now) to shut him up. Like, even Sephiroth wielded one, come on.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Morrowind had Dai-Katanas:

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Steel_Dai-katana_(Morrowind)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cat Mattress posted:

It should be "O Katana bella tchi tchi" IMO.

I don't speak other languages, which part of this translates to "makes them my bitch"?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Japanese sword bigger than a katana is definitely a thing but "Daikatana" is an American weeaboo invention because Romero doesn't speak Japanese and slammed two translated words together.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zaphod42 posted:

Japanese sword bigger than a katana is definitely a thing but "Daikatana" is an American weeaboo invention because Romero doesn't speak Japanese and slammed two translated words together.

Aren't Daikatana's in Daggerfall? That predates...well..Daikatana.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

After the pretty atrocious first episode, Daikatana becomes a pretty passable Quake 2/Lithtech 1.0-era shooter. Not saying much, since that's probably my least favorite era of FPS games, but it throws out one of the worst first impressions relative to the entire game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I think the original weeaboo was some D&D nerd, and daggerfall and romero both copied that.

As someone said, the characters for daikatana are read as "daito" and just means big sword.

And there are specific big swords with names in Japanese, like "odachi" and "nodachi" which predate the katana naming.

Everything I've seen makes it seem like "daikatana" is a western invention. I'm no lingual scholar though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I think the original weeaboo was some D&D nerd, and daggerfall and romero both copied that.

As someone said, the characters for daikatana are read as "daito" and just means big sword.

And there are specific big swords with names in Japanese, like "odachi" and "nodachi" which predate the katana naming.

Everything I've seen makes it seem like "daikatana" is a western invention. I'm no lingual scholar though.

It's something like that for sure. I checked a bunch of D&D stuff to see if that's where the name came from (since D&D is infamous for getting a bunch of real-life weapon references wrong) and it's not technically in any of them. However, a 1981 fan letter to Dragon Magazine mentions the "dai-katana." So I'm not exactly sure where the original naming is from, but it's a good assumption that both Romero and Daggerfall got the name from fantasy roleplaying, as their works were highly influenced by those circles.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

chaosapiant posted:

A TES staple since Arena. And it's shamelessly assumed (scroll to just below the first pic).

And yeah it probably originates from some old D&D book. Romero's Daikatana was inspired by a McGuffin sword in a D&D campaign he played, run by Carmack.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Japanese has Chinese and native readings for kanji. Dai is a Chinese reading and Katana is a Japanese reading so they don't go together. It should either be daitou (you've probably heard of a Chinese great sword "dadao" it's the same word) or o-katana although that's not a thing either but there is o-dachi which literally translates to "big long sword"

This did send me on a rabbit hole to see what Japanese gamers thought of Daikatana and uh a lot of people really loved it lol. It seems the slower pace and more adventure game elements lead to a small cult following among Japanese gamers.

Zaphod42 posted:

Like most things in nerd media I'm going to blame the original Dungeons & Dragons module Oriental Adventures.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I wonder, if by consequence, Japanese gamers believe Daikatana is American for "big sword".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

al-azad posted:

Like most things in nerd media I'm going to blame the original Dungeons & Dragons module Oriental Adventures.

Checked it, and that's not it.