Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Watching Rahdo at 1.5x speed is certainly an experience. Heavy Cardboard really needs to be at 1.5x or even 2x with how slowly they proceed, but Rahdo starts to sound like a rabid chipmunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Funagain.com is going out of business. Big warehouse sale.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Spirit Island solves the alpha player problem by having a huge amount going on. I like the game, but it's a little busy to say the least, and I can't help think that somewhere there a group playing it that takes 2 hours a turn as they check every possible move ...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lorini posted:

Their website seems to be melting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

B-but online game stores are destroying the industry!

(time to scoop up some cheap wargames)

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Lorini posted:

I wonder if it has anything to do with their taking on shipping enormous kickstarter orders really poorly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

OgreNoah posted:

I wonder if it has anything to do with their taking on shipping enormous kickstarter orders really poorly.

They shipped Gloomhaven, right? I don't know if they screwed up other orders but I don't envy the logistics required to ship a 22lb box to 40,000+ people.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Ethnos and Viticulture arrived today. :toot: These are my first big box games. Feels so good. I did a double take when I opened Viticulture and all the boards were in German. I turned them around and whoops, silly me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

To clarify, Funagain is closing their online store. The brick and mortar store will remain open but yeah, I imagine part of this is that the online market is small but extremely competitive.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

Lorini posted:

Had Viticulture EE in my cart for $25 but the site crashed and now its out of stock :saddowns:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Site is getting slammed

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, I tried to get through the site having server errors, but it looks like what I wanted was pulled straight out of my cart.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

al-azad posted:

They shipped Gloomhaven, right? I don't know if they screwed up other orders but I don't envy the logistics required to ship a 22lb box to 40,000+ people.

They do a poo poo ton of Kickstarter fulfillment, not just Gloomhaven. If I had to guess they're probably going to use the warehouse for all KS stuff unless they're pivoting completely to their retail stores.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

deadwing posted:

They do a poo poo ton of Kickstarter fulfillment, not just Gloomhaven. If I had to guess they're probably going to use the warehouse for all KS stuff unless they're pivoting completely to their retail stores.

Using their warehouse exclusively for KS stuff makes more sense in a market where you can't really beat CSI. Board game kickstarters are only getting bigger and somebody has to ship it.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Something I've seen happen a lot in Deception is people constructing a narrative for themselves how someone could be gassed near a computer or whatever, and then giving answers that fit their story but don't actually help the players. I blame CSI.

Back from the dead to remember finding this exact same thing (and others agreed).

Fat Turkey posted:

Yesterday I played some Deception in Hong Kong on Tabletop Simulator, I'd played in real life before so I knew the rules.

The Forensic Investigator selected Accident as the cause of Death and Stairs as the location. There were the other clues but they don't usually help much, and not at all in this case.

While we're still guessing, the FI had to leave so handed the role to someone who was just an Investigator. The new FI sat quiet for a bit and then interrupted us to say the puzzle was pretty much unsolvable. We agreed to reveal and the answers were Weapon = Stiletto and Clue = Circuit Board. Apparently the old FI had told him 'here's my story, it's a woman getting ready to go out, so she has her shoes on, but she trips down a flight of stairs and dies. And she's holding a circuit board.'.

I didn't think you'd ever have to add this as a rule but it seems if ever you play this game, you have to actively tell people to give clues that link to the two cards the murderer has, and not just make up a story that contradicts one card and completely ignores the other. He was so wrapped up in telling a story, he forgot to play the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Also we had enough players that we could play with the witness and accomplice. I can't really imagine the game being as good without them, and with lower number of players even the owner admitted that the game relies too much on getting good clue boards. Also he had the KS stuff and one of the murder weapons was a dice tower which I don't think it's that funny and apparently almost ruined a previous game that they had.

I'm interested in playing it again though, setting up a PBP of it would be cool. Anyone done it already?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

al-azad posted:

Using their warehouse exclusively for KS stuff makes more sense in a market where you can't really beat CSI. Board game kickstarters are only getting bigger and somebody has to ship it.

Actually just got a update from the KS for The Networks expansion that Funagain is not going to do KS fulfillment anymore either. So, if anyone's looking for a business to get into...

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

If anyone has Kemet / Cyclades and wanted to try the Creature Crossover expansion without buying Kemet / Cyclades, Matagot finally has both the Cyclades and Kemet creatures in stock.

https://www.matagot.com/shop/en/74-spare-parts

https://www.matagot.com/shop/en/spare-parts/102-7-kemet-creatures.html

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Those Funagain prices are insane, but not really worth the price of soul sucking page refreshes and empty carts.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Alternate joke: the Funagain prices seem good, but once you factor in the price of the blood pressure medications you'll need after navigating their site, it's not really worth it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

What's the free shipping threshold? I finally got a cart and the 15$ shipping put it's sale on par with Amazon. :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Board Game Purge chat has got me looking at Ebay for some completed sales on stuff I own. I have 2 copies of Fury of Dracula and one of Battlestar Galactica still in shrink. Dracula is going for $140 and BSG for $100 :stare:

edit:
what's the best way to sell these? ebay? facebook groups?

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 2, 2018

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

canyoneer posted:

what's the best way to sell these? ebay? facebook groups?

I've bought and sold on a FB boardgame group in a large city (823 group members). Top 50 BGG stuff will always sell if you offer at a respectable price. Anything heavier/rare/more niche may never sell. Kickstarter flippers are generally despised. BSG and Fury of Dracula would probably sell easily but you won't be able to price them up very high. People really want and expect a good deal.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Tekopo posted:

Also we had enough players that we could play with the witness and accomplice. I can't really imagine the game being as good without them, and with lower number of players even the owner admitted that the game relies too much on getting good clue boards. Also he had the KS stuff and one of the murder weapons was a dice tower which I don't think it's that funny and apparently almost ruined a previous game that they had.

I'm interested in playing it again though, setting up a PBP of it would be cool. Anyone done it already?

The difficulty is super adjustable - you can size up or down the number of clue or murder weapon cards or change how the forensic investigator clue gets boards - draw 2 pick 1 or whatever. I jettison all the events out the back through as they are dumb.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

FunkMonkey posted:

Speaking of horrible eating habits, back when Nemesis was in full swing someone suggested Lifeform as a potential alternative if you were interested in the theme but thought Nemesis was overmuch. You can watch a prototype playthrough here if you're interested and the designer estimates the kickstarter could launch next week.

Big differences from Nemesis: no minis (at least in prototype), bigger ship, and someone plays the sole alien. More Alien than Aliens, in the designer's own words. Up to three players play two crew members each.

Cool! I’m a sucker for Alien games. Although I’d prefer to be able to solo it I’m sure someone will cook up some rules. Let us know if the KS goes live.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Played three games of Spirit Island. First game two handed solo and then twice with a friend.

Final game was Brandenburg/Prussia level 2 and was pretty intense. We ended up coordinating a roving band of natives I'd move around once or twice and Rock spirit would use to power a Ritual of Destruction up to three times a turn. The combos you can pull off are pretty varied and getting past the initial hurdle of being completely overwhelmed is really satisfying.

Game is good.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Lorini posted:

Get on this while you can, despite the site errors. I watched two Arkham LCG expansions and This War of Mine disappear right in front of my eyes. Still managed to pick up Whitehall Mystery based on talk in this thread.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah I've had several items go out of stock on me while still in the cart.

Also between the Java errors and Cloudflare errors, sometimes all your items inexplicably disappear from your cart. Happened to both me and the SO. We lost Trains Rising Sun as it went out of stock as a result. :(

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I couldn't find anything I wanted on the Funagain sale, so I guess I was too slow.

On a different topic, I think I like Ponzi Scheme so much because it is abstract euro Jenga. And blitz Jenga is awesome. Also, you can somehow run a 90 minute teaching game of Ponzi Scheme with relatively new players with no board game experience past games like Ticket to Ride.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Some rear end in a top hat got Wing Leader right as I clicked finalize order but I scooped up 1805 and Festung Europa for cheap cheap cheap.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Doctor Zero posted:

Cool! I’m a sucker for Alien games. Although I’d prefer to be able to solo it I’m sure someone will cook up some rules. Let us know if the KS goes live.

Me too, I'll update when there's news. The creators are trying to finalize manufacturing details on their current big project and plan to launch Lifeform once that's completed.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

That's a fine comic, golden bubble, but I wish they had used chirons or even drawn on little nametags.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's a fine comic, golden bubble, but I wish they had used chirons or even drawn on little nametags.

It’s from a running webcomic and they are recurring characters in addition to being parodies

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And they're all listed at the bottom of the site "which philosophers appeared in this comic"

The candyland one is the best one, anyway. https://existentialcomics.com/comic/58

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I own a Disney branded copy of Candyland with a spinner.

My girls fight over who gets to be Minnie Mouse.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What are all of the D&D board games in the Castle Ravenloft board game format? I know there are multiple in that series (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt), but I don't know if there is a name besides "d&d board game" to look those up by. I think Temple of Elemental Evil is another one, I don't know if there are any others besides the ones I mentioned though and I'm not entirely sure how I'd find out other than sifting through a bunch of search results.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Spirit Island is so good I went ahead and ordered the promo spirits. After ordering I found out that Greater Than Games HQ is just down the street from my office, so I wondered if I could convince them to let me just pick it up. I doubt it. At least shipping at the normal rate was sub two days (for a package that needs to travel less than 2 miles).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

What are all of the D&D board games in the Castle Ravenloft board game format? I know there are multiple in that series (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt), but I don't know if there is a name besides "d&d board game" to look those up by. I think Temple of Elemental Evil is another one, I don't know if there are any others besides the ones I mentioned though and I'm not entirely sure how I'd find out other than sifting through a bunch of search results.

You just listed all of them except the newest, Tomb of Annihilation.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/9547/dungeons-and-dragons-adventure-system-board-games

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Lorini posted:

drat, this is what happens when I actually play board games, I miss out on huge sales. The site is a wasteland now, littered with naught but broken dreams and Hasbro Games titles. And Funko Pops. Lots of Funko Pops.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Keiya posted:

drat, this is what happens when I actually play board games, I miss out on huge sales. The site is a wasteland now, littered with naught but broken dreams and Hasbro Games titles. And Funko Pops. Lots of Funko Pops.

Shipping killed sale price anyway. Unless you had a lot you wanted to get.