Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

gently caress me you can't even hide it for just one macro :ironicat:

I've started replying to these with "I need her to run the country, I'm not gonna marry her"

Yeah you guys would be the sort of people who think this. I bet you think you can get a university education from reading wikipedia religiously.

???
The gently caress is this

:psyduck: b-buh!? B-b-b-but! NO! That's not at all how poo poo works!
wow i just got looking glass'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SSNeoman posted:

:psyduck: b-buh!? B-b-b-but! NO! That's not at all how poo poo works!
wow i just got looking glass'd
They know that. They must know 'killing life' isn't objectionable in itself unless they're a vegan who never uses antibiotics or cleaning products or chlorinated water, and I don't know how many Patriot Posters fit into that category. They're just being obtuse.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Guavanaut posted:

They know that. They must know 'killing life' isn't objectionable in itself unless they're a vegan who never uses antibiotics or cleaning products or chlorinated water, and I don't know how many Patriot Posters fit into that category. They're just being obtuse.

Even vegans routinely kill massive amounts of 'life' in order to sustain themselves.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

V-Men posted:

That's just how incompetent the Obama administration is.

Yes. Obama is the weakest mastermind to ever hold office. I mean, he's seriously stupid and being run around by every other nation. Still, he's an evil GENIUS. Because both of those narratives work.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

It's because everywhere in the UK is a Muslim no-go zone, so they'd go there to be treated like a foreigner.

:lol:
Nice pairing there. :golfclap:

I commented on the UK flag because DDOG and co are supposed to be Red Blooded Americans Who III% Fought The Oppressive British (tm)

SSNeoman posted:

???
I believe you will find that Cam Newton is an uppity showboat who needs to be taken down a notch by a good christian quarterback like Peyton

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Defenestration posted:

I commented on the UK flag because DDOG and co are supposed to be Red Blooded Americans Who III% Fought The Oppressive British (tm)
Maybe they're also nearsighted patriots who thought it was the glorious flag of the south which is about states' rights and not treason nor slavery although slavery wasn't actually that bad although did you know that the democrats' welfare is a form of slavery which is terrible (tm)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

SSNeoman posted:

gently caress me you can't even hide it for just one macro :ironicat:

hmmm wait a bit...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Now the badge just needs to be "Help Hillary in 1964"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

"the equilibrium of the Court is potentially broken."

"What you leave out is that those 5-4 decisions are also often 4-5 decisions, meaning the Court is currently as balanced as it can be with an odd number of Justices."

"There hasn't been a conservative majority on the court in years - Justice Kennedy has been a moderate since at least the 90s, making it a 4-1-4 spread. That IS equilibrium!"

"The Roberts Court has seriously been very balanced (and has actually tracked to the left)."

"In this case, a law that passed under dubious circumstances, against the will of the American people, that has never enjoyed majority support and that the Supreme Court declared Unconstitutional on more than one count - first the Medicaid mandate was declared Unconstitutional and then the Individual Mandate was. (The Roberts Court just then rewrote the law from the bench as a tax and declared the new law as Constitutional. But the Individual Mandate under the Commerce Clause WAS declared Unconstitutional, which is why legal scholars were shocked and initially confused [as well as a lot of other people] that it was then upheld as a tax.)"

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Anyone who says dumb poo poo like this should be strapped down and forced to look through a wormhole, forever, into a timeline where SCOTUS ruled the way Thomas wanted on Raich v. Gonzalez.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Anyone who says dumb poo poo like this should be strapped down and forced to look through a wormhole, forever, into a timeline where SCOTUS ruled the way Thomas wanted on Raich v. Gonzalez.
You're not thinking it through hard enough.

What's the last thing Scalia's done?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'm not sure if this image is saying what you think it's saying...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Polybius91 posted:

You're not thinking it through hard enough.

What's the last thing Scalia's done?

DeusExMachinima knows exactly what the joke is about : Thomas supposedly always just does what Scalia does, so if Scalia just died, then Thomas should follow.

He's pointing out that that's not true, because they didn't agree on Raich v Gonzalez, and if they did, it would have been a devastating ruling.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
For the record I'm not really crazy about celebrating anyone's death or wishing it upon anyone else. I actually felt bad about chuckling at that tweet, but mostly I'm reposting it because hey people on the left post malicious memes too and I'm not above pointing it out.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Guavanaut posted:

No, they really generally haven't thought it through. They think that pro-choicers think that fetuses aren't living things. My evidence is that my job currently consists in having read hundreds of poorly written papers on abortion where young Americans argue that fetuses are/aren't alive.

They haven't made the leap that you think they have in order to be obtuse, in many cases.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

My great, great, great grandfather started this company with one single rickety, leaky, hand-crafted slave ship, and a simple motto. "People selling people to people."

SSNeoman posted:

???

It's a parody of a State Farm commercial, this one specifically.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

Holy poo poo, i had no idea what this decision was, it sounds like Thomas almost legalized loving marijuana right there

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

Holy poo poo, i had no idea what this decision was, it sounds like Thomas almost legalized loving marijuana right there

It was a 6-3 decision, how would one flipped vote have changed things?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

wrong thread

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Inspector Hound posted:

It is just your bog standard anti commerce clause decision.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
People getting so defensive about jokes that boil down to "wouldn't it be great if we had TWO open seats for Obama to fill"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have that chart of GOP senators' speeches versus their voting record and it shows that Rand Paul just talks a good game? I need it for reasons.

VVVV Thank you kindly!

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 15, 2016

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Does anyone have that chart of GOP senators' speeches versus their voting record and it shows that Rand Paul just talks a good game? I need it for reasons.

here you go, and it's the same for dear old dad as well as sheltered white boy randy

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

SSNeoman posted:

???

This is a meme that gets made every time a team loses the Superbowl / an important game / anything really. Because memes are lazy and dumb, like the people who make them.

From two years ago.

From last year.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

EwokEntourage posted:

It is just your bog standard anti commerce clause decision.

I don't see how. The defendants weren't selling their pot at all, thus not engaging in commerce (which is where the feds have jurisdiction), and were also complying with California's MMJ laws that are allowed under their state-level police powers. That was the whole point their defense rested on and precedent was in their favor.

The social conservative anti-weed sentiment on the court was strong enough for the majority to rule that not engaging in commerce is also commerce, thus creating new precedent. Their logic was that by not buying, you're still affecting a drug dealer's bottom line just like a normal buyer except now it's a negative effect. :psyduck:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I don't see how. The defendants weren't selling their pot at all, thus not engaging in commerce (which is where the feds have jurisdiction), and were also complying with California's MMJ laws that are allowed under their state-level police powers. That was the whole point their defense rested on and precedent was in their favor.

The social conservative anti-weed sentiment on the court was strong enough for the majority to rule that not engaging in commerce is also commerce, thus creating new precedent. Their logic was that by not buying, you're still affecting a drug dealer's bottom line just like a normal buyer except now it's a negative effect. :psyduck:

Yes I understand the case and both sides of it. Thomas' dissent, which I was referring to, is consistent with his belief that federal powers based on the commerce clause are illegitimate.

quote:

Certainly no evidence from the founding suggests that "commerce" included the mere possession of a good or some personal activity that did not involve trade or exchange for value. In the early days of the Republic, it would have been unthinkable that Congress could prohibit the local cultivation, possession, and consumption of marijuana.

. . .

If the Federal Government can regulate growing a half-dozen cannabis plants for personal consumption (not because it is interstate commerce, but because it is inextricably bound up with interstate commerce), then Congress' Article I powers – as expanded by the Necessary and Proper Clause – have no meaningful limits. Whether Congress aims at the possession of drugs, guns, or any number of other items, it may continue to "appropria[te] state police powers under the guise of regulating commerce."

And it certainly isn't new precedent, being based on Wickard v. Filburn, which is basically the same case but involving wheat, in which the court reasoned that by not buying wheat on the market, you have an impact on the inter state price of wheat

Sorry if the comes off kinda rude, not my intention. I think Raich and Wickard are dumb opinions, but also necessary to the operation of the commerce clause

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

here you go, and it's the same for dear old dad as well as sheltered white boy randy
Ron Paul :allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Social Fixer being down makes this a pain-in-the-rear end to convert. Emphasis mine:

quote:

The reason I don't use [I'm a conservative] as a universal statement is because there are a lot of things I don't agree with the Republican party on.

You DO realize I'm a libertarian, right?

Right? You don't like Obamacare, you're pro-life, you're against the Iran deal, you're against taking action regarding climate change, you've spoken out against affirmative action, against welfare, you have certain beliefs regarding Barack Obama's birth record and background, you've died on just every hill imaginable with regards to the 2nd Amendment, you've defended the flying of the Confederate flag, you believe in the Laffer Curve and just today you've come out in favor of building a wall along the Mexican border.

What's your opinion of the Flint, Michigan situation? Man, I'm sure that's going to be a shocker.

Oh wait, no, I get it now - you're a LIBERTARIAN, which means you only TALK a good game.

quote:

Well well well, something resembling a substantive post for once. Let's see...

Libertarians are against Obamacare (or most any Federal mandates), so I check out there. It should also be noted that, while I think the ACA is a poor law on the economic front (you know, that thing I have a masters' degree in?) because it doesn't address the structural problems of the system and the health care industry that cause prices to rise, I'm only abjectly against the Individual Mandate - which, in case you've forgotten, SENATOR Obama, running for President at the time, was also against (as a point of contrast between himself and then also running Senator Clinton.)

I am pro-life as an ideological position, but I'm iffy on where the law should come down on the issue. While I believe that third trimester abortions should not be legal, even back as far as about 20 weeks, this is the viability argument that is shared by even most pro-choice indiviuals. I believe that more education and availability of contraceptives would be a good start to reduce abortions, and while I personally oppose even first term abortions, I do not believe they should be illegal. This puts me firmly in agreement with the majority of the American public, and largely with libertarians (who either believe what I do or believe it should be a states' rights issue where the individual states make the rules for abortions within their borders.)

I'm against the Iran deal because similar deals have failed (North Korea) and because Iran is a belligerent nation to the US. Their release last week of picture and video of the Sailor they CAPTURED (what they did is NOT rendering aid) was bad enough, that they even did a live REENACTMENT of the event for Revolution Day like it was some great war battle or major victory was insulting to us and shows their true motivations. Additionally, Iran is the most able nation to single-handedly destroy any sense of stability the Middle-East still has and start a nuclear arms race in a region dominated by near fanatical governments and entirely fanatical radical groups. They are also, by President Obama's own admission, still supporters of terrorism and supporters of regional radical groups that attack Americans (civilian and military) as well as other innocent peoples.

I'm not opposed to all action against climate change - something you'd know if you didn't have the extremist, Sith position of "if you're not with me you're my enemy". I'm a HUGE supporter of alternative energies that actually are viable in terms of generating enough power for our society like nuclear. I'm also a big supporter of solar and even wind, though I don't believe they should get overmuch funding from the government, I do actually support continued subsidies for wind and solar power (indeed, I'd like to see every parking lot with car covers lined with solar panels if we could find a way to afford it.) I like the idea of hybrid cars (the reason I didn't buy one largely being...well, because they look like poo poo, honestly. Why can't they build a hybrid Mustang or something? The Prius is just...ugh...not to mention the aesthetics aside, they have such a limited cargo capacity. I like being able to pack up all my things in my car and move between duty stations, something I can do in my car.)

I'm against carbon credits because that's a stupid idea based on wealthy redistribution and not actually capping carbon emissions (it allows companies to continue over polluting as long as they're willing to "buy" credits from other companies - generally from third world countries - that aren't using up to their limit). Oh, and it's also generally true that the people heavily invested in potential carbon trading are large proponents of the programs, like a number of members of the IPCC and Al Gore, I believe...

I oppose the not-science of it, as well - the doom and gloom, it's all over predictions. If you read my other posts you'd know this, too, from when me and REDACTED talk about it.

I DO believe we can have a cleaner environment, and I would like us to have clearer atmosphere (my uncle and dad both tell me that they remember 40 years ago flying airplanes with my grandfather and being able to see Dallas from their little airport 90 miles east of DFW.) So change has happened and not all for the good, and I'd like us to take CONTROLLED, SENSIBLE, and MANAGEABLE steps to correct this.

Carbon credits/trading, carbon taxes, President Obama's "war on coal" are none of those things. Electric cars that only go 60 miles (as opposed to hybrids that can effectively maintain the range of regular combustion engine cars but have much lower emissions for short drives) are another. All of the "catastrophe hype" and "global warming alarmism" I also oppose.

This is ENTIRELY different than saying I'm oppose to all these other things that I'm not opposed to.

(It should be noted this is one area I DIFFER from libertarians from - they oppose all government funding of alternative energy, or government subsidies in general.)

I have "certain beliefs" about President Obama's birth and background? What might those be? I believe he was born in Hawaii, though I believe that the birth certificate we were shown is likely not the real one. I'm not sure why they won't show the real one, though.

As to his background - my "belief" of that is his own statements on the matter. It's well documented he grew up in Indonesia, going to a Muslim madrassah. Do you contest this? It's also well known that he has described various things from Islamic culture - sometimes intentionally like when he said that at evening hearing the Muslim call to prayer was one of the most beautiful things he could think of, sometimes unintentionally when he mentioned traveling to 57 out of the 58 states (he meant the United States but instead mentioned the numbers for Muslim states.)

So if by "certain beliefs" you mean "the facts", then yes, I have "the facts" about President Obama's background rather well, and unless you are suggesting he WASN'T born in Hawaii...?

You mention the Second Amendment, but I'm curious to what end. Libertarians ARE very pro Second Amendment (many would go farther than I have - lest you forget, I've mentioned that there is a certain logic to banning shotguns or handguns OTHER THAN those in use by the military). I'm not sure what made you mention this as a point of contention...

The libertarian position on the Confederate flag is actually that states should be allowed to fly whatever flags they wish. That's their stated position on the matter, which matches my own. So I check out as libertarian there, as well.

I don't "believe" the Laffer curve, I've seen the economic analysis that proves it. Well, in so much as economists are able to decisively "prove" things. The data sets are easily available by looking at different states and countries, and looking at their tax revenues over time based on different tax rates. The Laffer curve is pretty well accepted economic science.

The only question or point of contention is where the peak/max revenue point is. I'm personally in the camp that it varies by culture and dominant ideological values (and I think most economists agree with this, though there are some that believe there is a single optimal tax percentage rate for all cases, I think they're in the minority.)

I'm not sure the Libertarian party has any stated position on the Laffer curve, however, so I'm not sure why you mention it, either. It's settled economic science anyway. Arguing against it is like arguing that the Earth is flat or that supply and demand don't affect prices.

"just today"? I've held the position of building a wall on the southern border for years. Or, baring that, a sizable military presence and more border security...basically, to get back to the OP for a moment, the same thing that was in the Reagan era law (that was just not enforced that strongly over time.)

Flint I'm already on the record on talking with REDACTED and REDACTED. It seems to be a chemistry issue and a lot of problems from the municipal level all the way up to the Governor's office (while the Governor likely isn't directly at fault, as a commander, he's still responsible for what goes on under his domain, just like any ship's CO would be.) As much as the left would like to portray it, it wasn't some concerted decision to try to lead poison a bunch of children. I know, I know...the world's a lot easier to take if you can imagine your opponents as Captain Planet villains, but Humanity and reality generally tend to be a lot more nuanced than that. It's also highly unclear that the decisions made where an attempt to save money - another liberal/Democrat claim - as it makes no sense to not chemically treat the water, and the lead seems to mostly have been a result of the city's piping, not the water sources. Finally, the EPA seems to be largely at fault as well as it failed to give proper warning and advisement of the situation even after they discovered things were amiss.

There is ample blame to be passed around in Flint.

As to your very last line - I have no idea what you even mean by that, either.

You dislike social liberties and personal freedoms? Have a problem with the ACLU, do you? Or FOIA? You love the PATRIOT Act?

Because libertarians tend to be on the right side of a lot of issues.

"talk a good game" my rear end.

My economic views are based on a decent amount of study of the topic as well as research and review of the data. My views on sovereignty are based on history, as are my views on war and world/international positions. My social positions are largely libertarian, which means pro-freedom/liberty in most respects, with the few divergences being on specific matters of life.

...so I guess if by "talk a good game" you mean "am smarter, better informed, and more moderate than (you are)", you'd be right.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

An enormous smug diatribe

Why do you have any correspondence with this person. I know that phrase gets thrown around a lot in this thread but really. drat.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i think this would be the best reply

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Glukeose posted:

Why do you have any correspondence with this person. I know that phrase gets thrown around a lot in this thread but really. drat.

Honestly? Because he's the only "crazy forwarded political email" person on my feed, and I derive strength from the knowledge that I was able to get him to punch out that screed at a length in complete disproportion to the one I wrote.

baw posted:

i think this would be the best reply

Well no, you see "it varies by culture and dominant ideological values (and I think most economists agree with this, though there are some that believe there is a single optimal tax percentage rate for all cases, I think they're in the minority.)"

It gives him an out because the United States obviously operates on its own Laffer Curve, apart from any other culture/country/geographic region so comparing it to Norway and France and the UAE and Ireland are all non-representative of the true curve because they're all different.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jurgan posted:

"Can Obama appoint himself"

Come on, this is a fun thing to imagine.

Just picture the reaction!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Just checking, is there something in the constitution about a person being unable to be in more than one branch?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Just checking, is there something in the constitution about a person being unable to be in more than one branch?

You'd have to look up the case law maybe to see what civil office meant, but

quote:

No representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States, which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been encreased during such time; and no Person holding any Office under the United States, shall be a Member of either House during his Continuance in Office.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Fulchrum posted:

It's a very clear violation of separation of powers. They definitely were trying to avoid the situation where the king was able to pass his own laws and rule on their constitutionality himself. I doubt it's ever been attempted, but I'm sure it wouldn't hold up. The idea of a president nominating himself might hold up if he resigned the presidency before taking office. Of course, from a practical perspective, everyone would see it as a cheap stunt and the Senate would be right to vote it down.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

As to his background - my "belief" of that is his own statements on the matter. It's well documented he grew up in Indonesia, going to a Muslim madrassah. Do you contest this? It's also well known that he has described various things from Islamic culture - sometimes intentionally like when he said that at evening hearing the Muslim call to prayer was one of the most beautiful things he could think of, sometimes unintentionally when he mentioned traveling to 57 out of the 58 states (he meant the United States but instead mentioned the numbers for Muslim states.)
Ahahahahahahaha.

What "a" dick "rear end".

This person is clearly in love with how smart they are... so much so that it hurts.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Defenestration posted:

No man who has made a Full Metal Jacket Meme has ever grasped that it is an anti-war film

If you've been through boot camp, particularly marine corps boot camp, FMJ becomes a dark comedy. Ernest's cruelty and profanity are part of the game there. Recruits are first shocked and scared, then they become acclimated, then they roll with it. It's something something training for the stress of battle something.

If you've been through it, you recognize the absurdity for what it is and instead of being horrified by the DI seemingly celebrating the assassination of a president for instance, you see it as an oohrah marine corps thing.

Weirder in my opinion was army recruiters using the opening scene of saving private Ryan as a motivational tool for high school kids. Same idea, more graphic.

There truly is no such thing as an anti war movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.

Ron Jeremy posted:

There truly is no such thing as an anti war movie

Johnny got his gun?