Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is that claiming the X-Box shipped less than a million units? That seems... really low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think they've gone full masochist with it as a company reputation project for sure, like Kitase, Nomura, Nojima, etc do not want to retire without having done it themselves and they know nobody else wants to take responsibility for potentially loving it up, Kitase especially. And yeah, it's crazy that FF7 is getting such an expensive, carefully made, targeted release just to please rabid millennials, because even though FF7 is their most iconic game I don't feel like even 25 years of collective FF fans is even a drop in the bucket compared to CoD money or Fortnite money. The gaming market has expanded to vast proportions that couldn't even be dreamed of by people in '97 who took the advertisement spread seriously: "quite possibly the greatest game ever made." So in that way I think the Remake trilogy is less a sign of things to come and more the last of its kind, a trick that can only be pulled once.

At the same time I also think that Square-Enix has integrated Remake trilogy development into just about everything else they do, it really was the corporate panic button in that sense, and I imagine even if the trilogy doesn't sell CoD or Elden Ring numbers that they expect the investment spent and knowledge gained from its extended development period to benefit many other projects going forward, even if it just comes down to engineers that are skilled in Unreal. Also, in the same way that FF16's tech is a dry run for how to do epic kaiju fights in Remake 3, I think the trilogy as a whole is broad exercise in having teams on hand that are skilled in making all sorts of gaming genres in a way that fits the SE image, the detail of the minigames alone feels like admission of that.

Didn't you use those 3 years of nothing happening during COVID to watch half of Tim Roger's epoch length video on FF7R?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4H5ykBP0I&t=1133s

Even back in 2006, people have been clamoring for a remake/haunting Square with the daunting task of putting it together.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Were people expecting it to be cut up into a trilogy?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No, but they were also expecting it to be Just The Old Game But Looks Better

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RareAcumen posted:

Didn't you use those 3 years of nothing happening during COVID to watch half of Tim Roger's epoch length video on FF7R?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4H5ykBP0I&t=1133s

Even back in 2006, people have been clamoring for a remake/haunting Square with the daunting task of putting it together.

Oh, yeah, I'm aware.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waffleman_ posted:

No, but they were also expecting it to be Just The Old Game But Looks Better

Thank god Square also gave us *checks notes* Ever... Crisis.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

vikar, ps xperience in the next 10 days? weigh the odds

i bet they'll show astrobot, and the piss5 pro

Evidently Concord as well? Sounds like they expect it to come out this year.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Were people expecting it to be cut up into a trilogy?

I'm pretty sure a majority of the requests are because the translation is so hosed (Tifa would never call Barret a slur) and they're looking for something simpler like I dunno, Symphonia field models and properly localized and readable now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm surprised no one has undertaken a retranslation mod or something. I know it'd be a big undertaking but people can be dedicated.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Retranslating games that already have English translations is only for the truly insane

Like say ohhh someone who really hated Caith Sith

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm surprised no one has undertaken a retranslation mod or something. I know it'd be a big undertaking but people can be dedicated.

People have but the problem is that the people who want to retranslate already translated RPGs tend to be people who think that Climhazzard means Crime Hazard.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

(Tifa would never call Barret a slur)

She would have in the 90s.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Tifa was a bit ignorant back then but she took the time to listen and has done a lot of self reflection in the last few years.

Wakka is still a biggot though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Brave New World mod for FF6 turned the script from a game for 12 year olds into a Quentin Tarantino movie as written by 12-year olds.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

exquisite tea posted:

The Brave New World mod for FF6 turned the script from a game for 12 year olds into a Quentin Tarantino movie as written by 12-year olds.

A tradition continued to this day by Pokemon romhacks.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I haven't played any vidja for two weeks and I'm starting to FREAK OUT

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That's alright. I'm plowing through JRPGs for you. Finished FF13 (Great combat, liked it), FF12 (Great at everything except combat, liked it), FF15 (Very pretty but also pretty boring), almost done with FFX (Great combat, love it).

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'm kind of absent mindedly half watching the cutscenes and keep interpreting "Yuna wants to send him" with the contemporary slang definition of the word.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

That's alright. I'm plowing through JRPGs for you. Finished FF13 (Great combat, liked it), FF12 (Great at everything except combat, liked it), FF15 (Very pretty but also pretty boring), almost done with FFX (Great combat, love it).

Bugblatter posted:

I'm kind of absent mindedly half watching the cutscenes and keep interpreting "Yuna wants to send him" with the contemporary slang definition of the word.

Thank you for your service :patriot:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I haven't played any vidja for two weeks and I'm starting to FREAK OUT

come to the barcade where i live it's full of nerds

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

i cant wait to see more of this, in the short term it's probably my most anticipated title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjyhN5KLGps

they only show snippets but the animation system they are using looks loving nuts, some wild designs, environmental 'verticality', and someone in the vid mentions that they want the game to invoke player nostalgia of psx and dreamcast titles of yore

what's the genre? 3d platformer?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kefa posted:

what's the genre? 3d platformer?

3rd person co-op PvE, can also be played alone

lots of traversal, capture yokai and wear them as cosmetic/skill upgrades, visual style like ghostwire meets cyberpunk

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like AC Shadows will have to lean more into the supernatural RPG elements to be less like Ghost of Tsushima.

It could easily be like Tenchu which has supernatural elements like magic and demons exist but you don't kill yokais for loot like in Nioh.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

IIRC the original AC was played pretty straight (incredibly stupid Animus real world plotlines aside) until the final boss, who I’m pretty sure I remember being weirdly ‘magic’ out of what felt like nowhere.

AC2 also felt the same but I can’t remember if I finished it or not and if there was a similar “also this last guy is magic” twist.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

come to the barcade where i live it's full of nerds

There's a star wars themed bar on hollywood blvd that I'm sure was full of nerds but think I might drive out to joshua tree tomorrow to complete my freak out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

History Comes Inside! posted:

IIRC the original AC was played pretty straight (incredibly stupid Animus real world plotlines aside) until the final boss, who I’m pretty sure I remember being weirdly ‘magic’ out of what felt like nowhere.

AC2 also felt the same but I can’t remember if I finished it or not and if there was a similar “also this last guy is magic” twist.

AC2 ends in a fistfight with the Pope (who is magic, a little bit)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I want to replay the Ezio trilogy because it's still in my mind the best AC's ever been (when I played it on release...) but that is probably not correct anymore.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the actual best ubisoft game of that period is, far cry 2

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
I played the OG Ezio trilogy well after it came out and it still held up imo. Still the best writing in the series and I actually enjoyed the gameplay a lot despite some gameplay jank! I liked Origins/Odyssey but hated Valhalla fwiw.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Got to the chapter IV big boss last night in Lies of P The Rabbit brotherhood.

It is a toughy but I am slowly getting better. Blocking is still my biggest weakness because I think I am milliseconds late each time with pressing the button against an attack. I might be slowing down in my old age!
Still, I am getting as much enjoyment from it as I am The Surge, which I adore, so this is great! This might prep me for the eventual Showers of the Erdtree DLC.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Odyssey ruled and I played it pretty heavily over the course of a year. Did all the islands, DLC, etc. It's the only AC where I really liked the combat.

Origins was fine, Valhalla was awful. The older games are neat for their historic versions of cities but otherwise didn't grab me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This perfectly articulates everything I've been thinking about the Helldivers 2 community for the last couple of months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5NHJq_yeM&t=781s

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

This perfectly articulates everything I've been thinking about the Helldivers 2 community for the last couple of months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5NHJq_yeM&t=781s

people i meet while playing helldivers 2 are some of the funniest, most helpful, good natured, humble, and patient gamers i've encountered in any playerbase. otoh the people who regularly post about helldivers 2 minutia in dedicated online spaces including this forum are the most insufferable, entitled shitheads on planet earth.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah by "community" I mean the armchair developer crowd. Like, everyone is playing HD2 I don't mean everyone playing it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Assassins creed is the low point of videogames

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Assassin's Creed Odyssey has Kassandra in it and is automatically great for this one reason.
Had so much fun going around Grecian times and getting involved in capers - though I played it the same time as Sekiro and unfortunately it would cause me to get bad at deflecting in Sekiro.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Assassins creed is the low point of videogames

It's so rear end that they put it in the name twice

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

goblin week posted:

It's so rear end that they put it in the name twice

Better Assassins than Assboobsins.

OG Assassins Creed is still the best. Small enough. Took itself seriously. Assassination focused. No leveling crap. No loot boxes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AC1 was the first time I played a game and had this off putting feeling of it being so lifeless. Like something was just so wrong with the gameplay. It felt so automated like I was barely playing the game. I've repeatedly tried to like the series over the years and it just seems to get worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

History Comes Inside! posted:

The bad guy of the original AC had the Magical Plot Macguffin but it was also hinted at throughout the meta-plot to be some Serious poo poo™ so the ending actually felt kind of awesome IMO.

Like yeah it was all played pretty straight up until then, which gave the whole “world-bending technological artifact” angle of it a lot more weight.

(It’s me, I’m the Assassin’s Creed 1 fan.)