Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm a big fan of cheep and cheerful stuff but from what I've heard it's anything but cheerful to drive. I'd give it a shot but you'd probably be better off with a $12k civic or something.

Discounted and depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I have a 24kWh Leaf and while it is a fine second car you'd really have to be prepared to compromise if it was your only vehicle. And that's assuming the battery is still in reasonable shape which is far from guaranteed at this point.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GreenBuckanneer posted:

In 50 miles my options are 17 matches for under 15k and manual (it does not have to be manual, but good gas mileage is important)

Those options are:

2013 forester @ 120k mi for $12k
2011 jetta @ 111k mi for $13k
2012 fiat 500 @ 84k mi for $12k
2014 jetta @ 97k for $13k
2008 fj cruiser tow off lot (no)
2012 forester @164k for $10k
2016 Fiesta titanium @ 120k for $12k
2011 outback @ 172k for 9k
2014 scion tc @105k for $14k
2016 focus @ 70k for 13k
2011 Honda fit sport @ 106k for 11k
2014 focus @ 98k for $10k
2009 accent (too old)
2012 Kia soul base @ 87k for 8k
2005 cobalt (no)
2014 veloser base @ 65k for $14

scion tc is basically a corolla

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I have a ‘14 manual soul base, does exactly what it needs to. The six speed is actually decent, 30-35 mpg depending on how I shift. Mines at 120k miles with no unexpected maintenance costs.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?
So I had a chance to take the Kona N for a test drive the other day and just wanted to chime in that if you have an opportunity/time to go for a test drive you 100% should. It's an absolute rocket on wheels and put a dumb rear end smile on my face the entire time we went for a spin. A couple quick quips.

Mehs:
The boost button seems sort of gimmicky but is pretty fun to use and neat to see something like this on a "regular" sports car that isn't a Lamborghini.
The interior of the vehicle has a lot of seemingly cheapo plastic parts and there is a LOT going on all over, it seemed a bit overwhelming at first with all the buttons etc
The infotainment system has seemingly 1000 different menus and spots to navigate to which could be very distracting
The Kona N is super easily confused with the Kona N Line which is similar but the non-sport tuned version of the same car. It took me some discussion and a lot of confusion on both the Hyundai website and when talking to a sales person to ensure I was test driving the right vehicle.

Yays:
Super fun to drive and very sporty, I loved the quick button changes to swap the drive gears and the car can sound very fun in the Sport or N drive modes. Because I was with the sales person I didn't waste too much time trying to navigate around the menus and setup any custom settings.
The digital dashboard, HUD, and steering wheel are all very sharp, the dash cluster feels like it has more information that you ever need and can likely be customized even further.
The steering wheel feels great, as well as the paddle shifters and buttons. It seemed a bit overwhelming at first because there is SO much going on with/around the wheel but I'm sure you could play around and customize it a bit with more time.
The seats feel pretty great and comfy in the front for race bucket seats and I did like the leather/suede combo a ton more than my previous Focus ST leather recaros which took forever to break n.

Coming from a Focus ST to this feels like it will be a fun upgrade in terms of performance and power, even though the cargo space and overall size of the vehicles are very similar.

Definitely worth harassing a sales person and the 30 minutes of your day to take it for a drive!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The Leaf is potentially way harder on its batteries than other electric cars because the pack isn't liquid-cooled.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Manuals effectively don't exist (except for Fiesta / Focus, where you should not buy anything with a dry clutch DSG), limiting your search to manual only is losing 95% of your options.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

heffray posted:

Manuals effectively don't exist (except for Fiesta / Focus, where you should not buy anything with a dry clutch DSG), limiting your search to manual only is losing 95% of your options.

Agree. Modern automatics get as good gas mileage as manuals. Get a manual if you want one, but it's not going to save you any gas.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Brilliant

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Deteriorata posted:

Agree. Modern automatics get as good gas mileage as manuals. Get a manual if you want one, but it's not going to save you any gas.

yep

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

BlackMK4 posted:

scion tc is basically a corolla

More like a smaller Camry. It was made mostly from Camry and Celica parts. I had one back in the day and I still miss it sometimes.

Not amazing gas mileage, and the first generation 5 speeds had a much too low fifth gear.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 30, 2022

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Then again my criteria is going to be is it cheap and is the gas mileage good, and will I have to spend a lot in maintaining it because I went too cheap. I can't afford a tesla priced car, so that's not on the table.

The newest Prius with the least amount of miles should work for you here.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

IKillForPie posted:

So I had a chance to take the Kona N for a test drive the other day and just wanted to chime in that if you have an opportunity/time to go for a test drive you 100% should. It's an absolute rocket on wheels and put a dumb rear end smile on my face the entire time we went for a spin. A couple quick quips.

Super convenient timing I was literally just looking into one of these to replace my Manual Crosstrek (extremely boring) The Kona N has roof racks, can hold some cargo and it looks like there are plenty of hitches that should fit for bike rack and a very small utility trailer.
We have a 124 Spider Abarth for the"fun" car but we never are in it since you can't fit groceries and stuff lol I've been looking for a more exciting do it all daily and I can't believe how much you get for the price on the Kona N.
What was the situation like on markups? No way I would pay anything more than MSRP on one.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

fknlo posted:

The newest Prius with the least amount of miles should work for you here.

Nothing in my price range 😩

Edit: or even area of the country

Out of my price range but I'd buy this unironically

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 30, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I will consider it, but I don't like Ford though. My last Ford was a 2001 taurus and I hated it

I had a same-generation Taurus and it was terrible. Ford is actually good now. That was literally >20 years ago and very few people who worked at Ford back then are even at the company anymore.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

getting an oil change at a Honda dealership in Austin Texas and after pacing around the mostly empty lot I can report that there’s uh no new inventory on it

it’s all used!

oh and someone is getting their Honda S2000 serviced here. why doesn’t Honda make an electric one of those?

newest car I found was a Subaru WRX STI with 11,000 miles on it

wolfs fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 30, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

wolfs posted:

getting an oil change at a Honda dealership in Austin Texas and after pacing around the mostly empty lot I can report that there’s uh no new inventory on it

it’s all used!

oh and someone is getting their Honda S2000 serviced here. why doesn’t Honda make an electric one of those?

newest car I found was a Subaru WRX STI with 11,000 miles on it

Real answer is because nobody buys enthusiast vehicles and it would be a giant money sink for Honda. Why put R&D there when it won't generate profit vs. selling more CR-Vs? Car companies answer to shareholders and no one else.

I think the reason why you see some companies building low or mid end enthusiast vehicles like Hyundai is because that brand still has image issues it is trying to dig out of. No one doubts Honda so they don't have to sink money into a dead segment.

e: also vast majority of low or mid end sport focused vehicles are sporty trims of already existing platforms/models, a new S2000 wouldn't share anything

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 30, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KillHour posted:

Ford is actually good now

Your mileage may vary :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Your mileage may vary :v:

You bought a factory-riced car you knew what you were getting into.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Someone talk me out of this car, besides I don't really drive manual, this sounds fantastic and I need to replace my car soon

Edit its relatively new

IIRC this car is one of the lowest scoring vehicles in Consumer Reports history

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Last time I was at my Ford dealer they had 9 new cars on the lot to sell. Used is the only thing they have in stock really. They've pivoted their sales model to offering a large discount off MSRP if you order a car from them.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KillHour posted:

You bought a factory-riced car you knew what you were getting into.

The other factory riced cars in the same segment don't seem to have nearly the same amount of issues.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GreenBuckanneer posted:

where approximately do you live? anyway all this is a lot more appropriate for the car recommendation thread in A/T.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

The other factory riced cars in the same segment don't seem to have nearly the same amount of issues.

Other than the head-gasket recall and cooling issues on track, I haven't heard much about them being unreliable. I think Sab's PO was just a shithead, personally.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Head Bee Guy posted:

IIRC this car is one of the lowest scoring vehicles in Consumer Reports history

This is a result of when it exists in time. Had this car been born 30 years ago, it would have topped lots of the charts. In 1992 I would totally buy a 2022 Mirage. It's just that we expect so much more of a car these days.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This is a result of when it exists in time. Had this car been born 30 years ago, it would have topped lots of the charts. In 1992 I would totally buy a 2022 Mirage. It's just that we expect so much more of a car these days.

I dunno, I'd stick with the '92 myself. MIVEC 175PS, LSD, Recaros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBlEYDDngFY

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

We test drove one of these, it's massively worse than the Prius in every way, surprisingly so.

Also full sticker price was under $20k, 8 years ago when that was new.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'll be honest, I just care that it's orange.

I'm pretty sure whatever car I do invariably get, is getting wrapped and I'm gonna give it a shot on doing it myself because white/black/grey colored cars are boring. and several thou for a paint job is no.

edit: good to know about the car though, I figured it was just a new update to a prius.

edit2: apparently that model is discontinued! good to know
edit3: 2/10 from C&D wow

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 31, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'll be honest, I just care that it's orange.

I'm pretty sure whatever car I do invariably get, is getting wrapped and I'm gonna give it a shot on doing it myself because white/black/grey colored cars are boring. and several thou for a paint job is no.

edit: good to know about the car though, I figured it was just a new update to a prius.

edit2: apparently that model is discontinued! good to know
edit3: 2/10 from C&D wow

Both the Fiesta and the Focus came in cool colors from the factory. I'm particularly fond of the green on the Fiesta. :colbert:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

Both the Fiesta and the Focus came in cool colors from the factory. I'm particularly fond of the green on the Fiesta. :colbert:

Fiestas are also great for surviving a high speed chase through a shopping mall.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

KillHour posted:

That green I'm seeing is OK. Second favorite color. But most of the cars are white/black/grey and that's :whitewater:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fantastically boring, but can serve as a good canvas for some flair!

Couple hundred for some racing livery and you too can look like me... Ka...Chow.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BloodBag posted:

Maybe they weighed it with the C&D reviewer in it?

Almost certainly partly Maserati spewed out the dry weight (no fluids like oil, water or fuel, no spare etc) rather than kerb (able to drive to the shops)

Still the claim by the factory is 204kgs less than the article says it really is. I'm going with Maserati thought car "journalists and bloggers" would take their BS at face value and lied

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Fantastically boring, but can serve as a good canvas for some flair!

Couple hundred for some racing livery and you too can look like me... Ka...Chow.

put some vinyl stripes on me delorean, gotta go fast idc it's probably not a good car to have I still want one

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

can you even put vinyl stripes on a delorean's stainless steel body panels

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Alaois posted:

can you even put vinyl stripes on a delorean's stainless steel body panels

Sure, why not.
A few were even gold plated.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have one disappointment in the Mirage, and that is the current cool colors are all gated behind the CVT :eng99:

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

BlackMK4 posted:

scion tc is basically a celica

Details of the corolla gr are out a day early thanks to google ads

300hp
F/r torsen
6 speed
Circuit tunes suspension

no lube so what fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 31, 2022

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
If Toyota managed to squeeze 300hp out of a 3-cyl and keep it reliable, with AWD and a stick, I'll have consider it over a Civic Type-R.

Just kidding, it'll be impossible to buy. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GR Corolla anyone?

https://twitter.com/supcat/status/1509419970278486022?t=npLQcvptA6ZS63W1Jdw1Fw&s=19