Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mugaaz posted:

Has absolutely nothing to do with that, at all. If you want to take the day off for whatever reason, you are entitled. I am inquiring about the idea of spending an entire day doing nothing but modeling and painting, that part makes no sense to me. 3-4 hours I understand, after that I don't understand how it can be enjoyable. I can understand someone vegging out with video games or netflix. Modeling/Painting is laborious and requires quite a bit of concentration. I just don't see how people would enjoy doing that all day.

Exactly, and some people struggle to jump into painting after having been at work for 8-12 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Texmo posted:

I usually binge watch TV shows while painting, because neither TV nor Painting is very good at holding my full attention on their own, but I can do both at the same time (because TV doesn't actually need to be looked at most of the time) and it's like being productive while also being lazy.

Yeah, this is what I do. I always get my best painting done when I have something to watch that's not quite interesting enough and makes me want to fiddle with other poo poo while I watch it. When I painted my white scars I think I watched like a year's worth of wrestling, just look up whenever you hear BAH GAAWD.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Texmo posted:

I usually binge watch TV shows while painting, because neither TV nor Painting is very good at holding my full attention on their own, but I can do both at the same time (because TV doesn't actually need to be looked at most of the time) and it's like being productive while also being lazy.

Model painting is usually what I'm doing while I watch Star Trek.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah I'll watch netflix or shitpost and do my modeling on days off. I can stay at it for 6 hours or so if I take breaks so I'm not constantly concentrating.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Aside from the Primaris, none of the armies really got anything that wasn't already available to them in 7th edition. We haven't had generic demon weapons since 4th.
True enough. However, even the 6th/7th edition book had some weapons available regardless or Mark or demonic affiliation. The Black Mace, for example, or that one in the Black Legion book. I realize this will change in the actual codex, but they could have tossed in a basic version to separate chaos lords a bit from marine captains. :shobon:

I'll admit I have a vested interest here. I've got a chaos lord in terminator armor with a sweet two-handed axe. I'd love it to actually be something instead of a counts-as powerfist or chainfist. Oh well, I'm sure chaos marines will be along sooner rather than later. No big deal.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

chutche2 posted:

There are rules for bunkers and stuff in imperial 2. They're just models with a transport capacity and fire ports that can't move, nothing special. I don't think there are any rules for parapets or multiple levels or anything.

I need to buy a bunker. Company Commander + Command Sq with Vox + never going outside = Goon Platoon HQ.

In other news, I bought an Interrogator Chaplain because the model rules. I'm tempted to swap out the shoulder pad for a DW one though.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Endman posted:

I need to buy a bunker. Company Commander + Command Sq with Vox + never going outside = Goon Platoon HQ.

In other news, I bought an Interrogator Chaplain because the model rules. I'm tempted to swap out the shoulder pad for a DW one though.

Unless I'm missing something, they won't be able to give orders while embarked in a bunker. It's really disappointing that they got rid of the chimera's order rule.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Kingfish posted:

Unless I'm missing something, they won't be able to give orders while embarked in a bunker. It's really disappointing that they got rid of the chimera's order rule.

Aw really? That's super disappointing

I even modelled my command Chimera with the antennas :sigh:

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ruins are covered in the terrain advanced rules. Infantry get protection from being in them, Vehicles, Bikes, and Monsters and the like can't end on top of them unless they can fly.

They expand these in the Cities of Death Section, Infantry in or behind ruins get an extra +1 if they don't move

Units have to maintain 6" vertical cohesion (this is under "Units" at the start of the rules)

But there are no rules for entering a building and shooting out from it right? Like in 7th you can enter a bastion and fire out of its firing points (and i think use your models BS to fire the heavy bolters). There is nothing like this in 8th right? I didn't even see rules for how non-flying units even get on to ramparts.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Endman posted:

Aw really? That's super disappointing

I even modelled my command Chimera with the antennas :sigh:

Its a bummer, but I'll be surprised if GW doesn't bring it back with the codex.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JesusIsTehCool posted:

There is nothing like this in 8th right? I didn't even see rules for how non-flying units even get on to ramparts.

They can't. If you don't have the infantry keyword, you cannot finish your movement phase in a ruin unless you're on the ground floor, and your base can fit through an opening to enter the ruin in the first place.

aka, you can now kite Wraithlords around ruins :getin:

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
I'm beginning to feel pretty positive about my orks again after a load of games.

Having some fun but the green tide is starting to get a little too familiar for my usual lot of hams. They've started tailoring lists to exploit its weakness. To remedy that last night I took a spear head detachment with 3 dakka battlewagons, 3 loota squads and 2 Shokk attack guns at just under 1500pts. I was up against an anti-green tide blood angels list with flamers everywhere and 3 baal predators. I crippled his baal predators turn 1 and finished them off by turn 3. After shooting the gently caress out of everything that was left I got a concession win on turn 4. It was a riot (well, more of a drive-by). Kiting and shooting everything to peices is a nice change of pace from shuffling up the board en mass.

I really love the shokk attack gun it was a decent performer. The removal of the wacky chart makes it much more effective (I used to zoink! every game). The S11-12 doing mortal wounds without feedback is just groovy gravy. That command re-roll is handy for improving the odds at a stronger shot.

Now I've not played against Nids yet but the local bug'rs are keen to get back into it so horde vs horde will be interesting. In the meantime I've ordered 6 deff dreads, a gorkanaught and dusted off an old stompa. I'll be giving the dread mob a go as soon as I can.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JesusIsTehCool posted:

But there are no rules for entering a building and shooting out from it right? Like in 7th you can enter a bastion and fire out of its firing points (and i think use your models BS to fire the heavy bolters). There is nothing like this in 8th right? I didn't even see rules for how non-flying units even get on to ramparts.

There are rules for entering a building and shooting out from it. Those are fortifications, not ruins. There are some rules for them under the Planetstrike and Stronghold Assault sections in the main rulebook, and more specific rules or bastions/bunkers/fortifications in the Imperial Index 2, which has all the unaligned fortifications they've done rules for. Those all have guns, can hold lots of dudes (bunkers and bastions hold 20), and have firing points and emplaced weapons. I don't think they use your embarked dudes' BS anymore, though.

Yeast posted:

They can't. If you don't have the infantry keyword, you cannot finish your movement phase in a ruin unless you're on the ground floor, and your base can fit through an opening to enter the ruin in the first place.

aka, you can now kite Wraithlords around ruins :getin:

Also wrong. Vehicles/monsters/bikes with FLY can end their move on higher levels of ruins.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

krursk posted:

They've started tailoring lists to exploit its weakness.

That's pathetic.
Time to start bringing two armies and randomize which you play.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

There are rules for entering a building and shooting out from it. Those are fortifications, not ruins. There are some rules for them under the Planetstrike and Stronghold Assault sections in the main rulebook, and more specific rules or bastions/bunkers/fortifications in the Imperial Index 2, which has all the unaligned fortifications they've done rules for. Those all have guns, can hold lots of dudes (bunkers and bastions hold 20), and have firing points and emplaced weapons. I don't think they use your embarked dudes' BS anymore, though.

Thanks, i haven't looked at imperial 2 since i dont have any of those armies but ill have to take a look now.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Usually watch an episode or two of mystery science theater while modelling, though I gotta be careful if something's particularly funny.

Just realised the promethium pipes were removed from the rules, unless the leak skipped those pages? It does skip a couple pages during the fortifications section. Maybe I should hold off on making the pipe terrain I was going to make for SoB flamers.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I expect that there will be more complete fortification rules down the road even if they're missing

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

krursk posted:

I'm beginning to feel pretty positive about my orks again after a load of games.

Having some fun but the green tide is starting to get a little too familiar for my usual lot of hams. They've started tailoring lists to exploit its weakness. To remedy that last night I took a spear head detachment with 3 dakka battlewagons, 3 loota squads and 2 Shokk attack guns at just under 1500pts. I was up against an anti-green tide blood angels list with flamers everywhere and 3 baal predators. I crippled his baal predators turn 1 and finished them off by turn 3. After shooting the gently caress out of everything that was left I got a concession win on turn 4. It was a riot (well, more of a drive-by). Kiting and shooting everything to peices is a nice change of pace from shuffling up the board en mass.

I really love the shokk attack gun it was a decent performer. The removal of the wacky chart makes it much more effective (I used to zoink! every game). The S11-12 doing mortal wounds without feedback is just groovy gravy. That command re-roll is handy for improving the odds at a stronger shot.

Now I've not played against Nids yet but the local bug'rs are keen to get back into it so horde vs horde will be interesting. In the meantime I've ordered 6 deff dreads, a gorkanaught and dusted off an old stompa. I'll be giving the dread mob a go as soon as I can.

Awesome! Would you mind posting the actual lists?

What do you think of slugga boyz in close-topped battlewagons with deff rollas?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

That's pathetic.
Time to start bringing two armies and randomize which you play.

Is it? I mean you're generally going to tailor lists to what you expect to counter, nobody is going to just randomly pick stuff.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RagnarokAngel posted:

Is it? I mean you're generally going to tailor lists to what you expect to counter, nobody is going to just randomly pick stuff.

Yeah, I mean if hordes are effective then countering hordes is logical. That's what meta is.

Now if the opponent has a list tailored for each opponent then that's kind of lovely.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ive always design armies with all comers in mind and when I had scheduled games with certain people I would just bring two radically different armies.

I can't believe some of the assholes you guys play.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
JackMack I'd love to go to another goonmeet... However Sep 5th isn't a Saturday? It's a Tuesday! 2nd September should work for me which is a Saturday.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Ive always design armies with all comers in mind and when I had scheduled games with certain people I would just bring two radically different armies.

I can't believe some of the assholes you guys play.

It's not really an rear end in a top hat thing though. It's simple strategy to anticipate what you might encounter that's just simple sun tzu poo poo. Even "planning for all comers" is still strategy because you do it because either A. You assume you'll fight a variety of armies or B. You simply don't know what you're fighting so you hedge your bets on a little of everything.

An rear end in a top hat thing is bringing 5 knights.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's not really an rear end in a top hat thing though. It's simple strategy to anticipate what you might encounter that's just simple sun tzu poo poo. Even "planning for all comers" is still strategy because you do it because either A. You assume you'll fight a variety of armies or B. You simply don't know what you're fighting so you hedge your bets on a little of everything.

Yeah there is a large difference between "I've lost my last 4 games, I'm going to go ahead and take some flamethrowers and burn those fuckers down and get a win" and "I'm going to take max cheese always because I must always win forever".

I think it's OK to tailor lists a bit if you are losing. Just don't do it to make sure you always win forever.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

5 knights is an all-comers list. Hard to tailor that. The real issue is super heavies/lord of wars don't belong in the game of small squad tactics. That's what we had apoc for.

I don't feel like you've seen the worst of the community. Tailoring your army for specific opponents is a crutch and the sign of a man child who just has to win at all costs.

Making your list for the meta is fine.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

LingcodKilla posted:

5 knights is an all-comers list. Hard to tailor that. The real issue is super heavies/lord of wars don't belong in the game of small squad tactics. That's what we had apoc for.

I don't feel like you've seen the worst of the community. Tailoring your army for specific opponents is a crutch and the sign of a man child who just has to win at all costs.

Making your list for the meta is fine.

So if you have regular opponents you don't change your list based on what works or what doesn't work? Like I dropped Maulerfiends after they kept on getting immobilised turn one by a whole host of Eldar stuff so I could spend the points on something else.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Iron Crowned posted:

This dude is never getting laid

Not with that weak of a squat. rear end to grass or GTFO.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also wrong. Vehicles/monsters/bikes with FLY can end their move on higher levels of ruins.

I'm not disagreeing with that, unless you have FLY, you cannot be in ruins above the ground level.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Milotic posted:

So if you have regular opponents you don't change your list based on what works or what doesn't work? Like I dropped Maulerfiends after they kept on getting immobilised turn one by a whole host of Eldar stuff so I could spend the points on something else.

My regular opponents all had multiple armies and we randomized what we played to avoid that.

For example because this certainly never happened to me in real life, nuh uh.

I show up to league night. Play my league game. Ok, got some spare time for another game. Opponent Mr FuckStick also ended early, he asks me if I want to play a non-league game, sure let's do it.

I brought just my orks. Basically a horde army all on foot. He sees this, asks a few questions and says he has to go out for a smoke. When he comes backs all his lascannons, power weapons and multimeltas have disapeared from his league list (replaced with a hastily rewritten list) and now he's rocking 3 whirlwinds and rifle-dreads instead of what he had before.

My mistake here was in not confirming we should use our league list because it was a friendly game. He tailored his list for a winning advantage with stuff he would not have otherwise brought against his random league opponent. That's childish.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Along those lines, I'm suuuuper interested to see the Day 1 FAQ on Saturday.

Watched a game where a dude put his predator behind a wall for cover, but then could fire all of his weapons out because the front tracks poked beyond the terrain.

I'm curious if this is what the game designers intended :confuoot:

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

LingcodKilla posted:

My regular opponents all had multiple armies and we randomized what we played to avoid that.

I show up to league night. Play my league game. Ok, got some spare time for another game. Opponent Mr FuckStick also ended early, he asks me if I want to play a non-league game, sure let's do it.

I brought just my orks. Basically a horde army all on foot. He sees this, asks a few questions and says he has to go out for a smoke. When he comes backs all his lascannons, power weapons and multimeltas have disapeared from his league list (replaced with a hastily rewritten list) and now he's rocking 3 whirlwinds and rifle-dreads instead of what he had before.

My mistake here was in not confirming we should use our league list because it was a friendly game. He tailored his list for a winning advantage with stuff he would not have otherwise brought against his random league opponent. That's childish.

OK, I think I get you. Yeah, that sucks and is poor sportsmanship. Having multiple armies is a bit of a luxury, in terms of time or expense, but it's a nice thing to be able to have. But changing your list between games is part of the fun for me. If I'm going up against Eldar, I'm going to be thinking about trying new things to keep it fresh or challenging for him, or if I'm going up against Ad Mech, I'll be thinking about if there's anything I have that could be useful against the Kataphrons he typically fields.

Also our games are fluff driven so we typically need to know armies beforehand to determine teams and why we're fighting and to post our own written bits of intro fluff. I also try to aim for objective or non kill point based missions to help reduce the desire to list tailor.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

JackMack I'd love to go to another goonmeet... However Sep 5th isn't a Saturday? It's a Tuesday! 2nd September should work for me which is a Saturday.

Curse your legal mumbo jumbo, you are right. I had initially made an August 5th post but it what is becoming a recurring theme forgot to check the WHW events list. As such August is very busy.

September 2nd (a Saturday) it is. That is four players so legally a goonpocalypse can be declared, We can get normal tables and play 40k 8th edition but as ever if people want to play HH, Shadow Wars, AoS, Bloodbowl, Chainsaw Warrior or strip poker all are welcome.

If any UK goon hams are up for knowing what fellow forum posters look and smell like and hanging out for a day of casual 40k just let us know and turn up. It has always been a fun time, no one I have yet encountered has not been fun and funny (this has got me concerned that I am the weak link in this regard).

Also guys who have been before, great to see you again, Scowny, Raphus C , Ineptmule, Galaspar? Lord Twisted's friend Adam who famously ordered himself a children's meal from Bugmans and then chatted up a lady ... At Warhammer World. Admittedly time had passed and he was not munching on his chicken nuggets at the time.

Scores on the doors are a three way tie between the imperium, the not imperium and Scowny (alpha legion). This is a perfect chance for one of these to go into the lead (except Scowny as the new over watch rules will inhibit his cunning ruses).

JackMack fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 15, 2017

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Played my first game of 8th Edition today, 1500pts of Space Marines (me) vs Tyranids.

...So Genestealers are pretty loving fast, it turns out. Getting most of my army charged on Top of 1 was not an expected way to start the game. Couldn't really recover from that (a Contemptor blew up, killing members/doing hull damage to a half dozen of my units/models), though my Stormtalon put in some serious work throughout, and that reroll on 1's from my Captain went a long way to digging me out of the hole I was in.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LingcodKilla posted:

You're talking about different things here. I've absolutely known guys who would watch you get your models out, carefully scrutinise your list, and then start writing their own list intending to specifically counter what you had in yours - I remember a guy playing my ex-gf who knew she was bringing Daemons, so decided to bring the old Null Zone librarian. The game sucked for her because the guy had specifically written a hard counter into his list, which is deeply unfun especially when he had the advantage of knowing what she was playing but she didn't know the same about him.

Adapting to the meta is different. 8th looks like hordes are a lot stronger and even MEQs are going to be bringing a lot more infantry. If that's the case, then adapting your list to be better at killing infantry is adapting to the meta, not tailoring.

Your version of randomising armies is just as deeply unfun and really quite weird - I change up what I play for pick-up games because I want to use all my toys, but I wouldn't be showing up to game night and rolling a D3 to find out what I'm playing.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 15, 2017

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

However, their rhinos are actually kind of interesting. You can slap on a combi-weapon and a havoc launcher and make a decent little shooting platform. No idea if it's worth the extra points, but it's at least different from the loyalist options.

I'm totally doing that, for 15 points you can have 2 Combi-bolters and a Havoc Launcher and turn your battle taxi's into pseudo-razorbacks.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Isn't all this talk of min maxing in the heat of the moment negated by the new power points?

I.e. you can pretty quickly knock up a back of the envelope list based on the current situation?

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Awesome! Would you mind posting the actual lists?

What do you think of slugga boyz in close-topped battlewagons with deff rollas?

My list was pretty simple.

3 units of 15 lootas @ 765pts
3 battlewagons @ 483 pts
2 Shokk attack gun big meks @ 200pts
8 big shootas spread between the battlewagons @ 48pts
Total was 1496pts.

He had something like 3 baal predators with assault cannons and some heavy bolters, a small sniper squad, a small tactical squad with flamer, two small squads of terminators with heavy flamers, a dread with an assault cannon and a flamer, razorback with a flamer and a librarian that handed out invulnerable saves. He teleported the terminators close to the battlewagons but only took a few wounds off them, so i just moved away from them and shot everything else until he quit.

As for slugga boyz, if you put them in hard case battlewagons with deff rollas they should be pretty decent, so long as you don't get surrounded by a tarpit that stops your boys from getting out. I think shoota boys in battlewagons doing drivebys may be a more efficient combo over more turns but you have to go opened top for that which means bolters wound on a 5.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Isn't all this talk of min maxing in the heat of the moment negated by the new power points?

I.e. you can pretty quickly knock up a back of the envelope list based on the current situation?

Oh look.... A casual...

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Most of the scenarios presented are pugs and that's what power points are for... ... ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

krursk posted:

My list was pretty simple.

3 units of 15 lootas @ 765pts
3 battlewagons @ 483 pts
2 Shokk attack gun big meks @ 200pts
8 big shootas spread between the battlewagons @ 48pts
Total was 1496pts.

He had something like 3 baal predators with assault cannons and some heavy bolters, a small sniper squad, a small tactical squad with flamer, two small squads of terminators with heavy flamers, a dread with an assault cannon and a flamer, razorback with a flamer and a librarian that handed out invulnerable saves. He teleported the terminators close to the battlewagons but only took a few wounds off them, so i just moved away from them and shot everything else until he quit.

As for slugga boyz, if you put them in hard case battlewagons with deff rollas they should be pretty decent, so long as you don't get surrounded by a tarpit that stops your boys from getting out. I think shoota boys in battlewagons doing drivebys may be a more efficient combo over more turns but you have to go opened top for that which means bolters wound on a 5.

Cool, thanks. And good point about getting surrounded; given how fast things seem to move in this game I imagine that's a huge risk. I could see the same problem with burna boyz who have their wagon charged.

• Locked thread