Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, according to one of a million documents scattered all over HP's website, that is exactly what it's for. How it fits into the grand scheme I'm not sure, though that's out of the scope of this thread. Thanks for the help, my main Cisco related question was whether it's a L3 switch, which it doesn't appear to be :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Martytoof posted:

Interesting. Do you happen to know if I have the option of putting both GigE ports from the server and directing them to a switchport instead of routing one to the passthrough module?

No, the ports are hard wired to a specific IO module port. Generally they're set up for the first 2 ports (the onboards) to go to IO modules 1 & 2, then the first mezz card is 3 & 4, second mezz is 5 & 6 (assuming half height blades).

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Trying to setup a port channel to a Windows server.

Whenever I have just one interface open to the server and have it placed in the right VLAN, server can access internet, ping gateway, etc.

Whenever I set the other three interfaces into the port channel, set the port channel into the right vlan, and turn them all up, server loses connectivity.

Here's how every interface is setup:

switchport
switchport access vlan 160
switchport mode access
no ip address
channel-group 160 mode on

And here's the channel group:

switchport
switchport access vlan 160
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode access
no ip address

Any suggestions?

EDIT

Since it's a Windows server I channged channel-group mode to active instead of on to force LACP.

EDIT II

Which seems to have fixed it.

Sauce.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 4, 2012

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
This is what we have in the HP C7000 chassis:

4 copper uplinks and 4 sfp uplinks.

The 16 slots map to gi0/1-16, then those 8 extra will be 17+

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've posted in here because our backbone is all Cisco and I don't know where else to ask. I'm looking for a book on IS-IS and I wondered if anyone can recommend one I can easily get in the UK. The only thing I've really found so far is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete---Routing-Protocol/dp/1852338229/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325692057&sr=1-10

Any suggestions?

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
http://www.amazon.com/OSPF-Choosing-Large-Scale-Networks/dp/0321168798

This is a good book, especially if you already have a background in OSPF.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

tortilla_chip posted:

http://www.amazon.com/OSPF-Choosing-Large-Scale-Networks/dp/0321168798

This is a good book, especially if you already have a background in OSPF.

That sounds good, I did know some OSPF from when I did my CCNA but in my company we rarely use it so it would be nice to brush up.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

routenull0 posted:

This is what we have in the HP C7000 chassis:

4 copper uplinks and 4 sfp uplinks.

The 16 slots map to gi0/1-16, then those 8 extra will be 17+

For the HP GBE2C C7000 switches, here's the port mapping:

1-16 = mapped to blades.

17-18 = internal interconnect to the other switch. Typically make these an aggregated trunk.
Switch Bay 1 Port 17-18 connect to Switch Bay 2 Port 17-18
Switch Bay 3 Port 17-18 connect to Switch Bay 4 Port 17-18
Switch Bay 5 Port 17-18 connect to Switch Bay 6 Port 17-18

19-up = all of the ports on the outside

And the bay mapping:
Switch Bay 1 to onboard NIC 1
Switch Bay 2 to onboard NIC 2
Switch Bay 3 to mezzanine card 1 port 1
Switch Bay 4 to mezzanine card 1 port 2
Switch Bay 5 to mezzanine card 2 port 1
Switch Bay 6 to mezzanine card 2 port 2.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, while we're aboard the HP Cisco train, does anyone happen to have the password recovery mechanism for the GESM interconnect module?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Well, while we're aboard the HP Cisco train, does anyone happen to have the password recovery mechanism for the GESM interconnect module?

When you power cycle it (either through HPOA or physically cycling the card) you should get a prompt to interrupt boot by sending a break. Send a break then it's the same as any other switch (flash_init , load_helper , rename flash:/config.text flash:/config.old , boot)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Buenos nachos, ragzilla. If I get this blade box working I'll name one of the servers after you.

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

I killed your cat, you druggie bitch.
Trying to configure an IPSEC tunnel on a 3925

(config)#crypto isakmp policy 10
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Edit: Problem may be my image Version 15.0(1r)M6
c3900-universalk9-mz.SPA.150-1.M3.bin

brent78 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 5, 2012

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
You are probably not using a "k9" IOS chain, so crypto doesn't exist. Alternatively it may be a licensing issue and you have to "activate" encryption, in addition to having a "k9" code.

More details:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps8802/ps5460/product_bulletin_c25-566278_ps10537_Products_Bulletin.html

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

I killed your cat, you druggie bitch.

Powercrazy posted:

You are probably not using a "k9" IOS chain, so crypto doesn't exist. Alternatively it may be a licensing issue and you have to "activate" encryption, in addition to having a "k9" code.

code:
Technology Package License Information for Module:'c3900'

----------------------------------------------------------------
Technology    Technology-package          Technology-package
              Current       Type          Next reboot
-----------------------------------------------------------------
ipbase        ipbasek9      Permanent     ipbasek9
security      None          None          None
uc            None          None          None
data          None          None          None
What do I need to do?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
afaik, you need to purchase than load a license file, which is basically a number that you type in. Then you have to reboot and it will activate the new licensed features, I'm not super familiar with the process though as I've never done it.

I do know that if you don't have the license you can enable features temporarily, but I've never done that either. However the license won't work if all you have is the ipbase non K9 code. I suggest talking to your account rep or supplier.

I think TAC can issue you a temporary license, but obviously you'll have to open a case with them.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10616/white_paper_c11_556985.html#wp9000767

Sorry I can't be of more help, as I'm not super familiar with the G2 platforms yet.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

brent78 posted:

code:
Technology Package License Information for Module:'c3900'

----------------------------------------------------------------
Technology    Technology-package          Technology-package
              Current       Type          Next reboot
-----------------------------------------------------------------
ipbase        ipbasek9      Permanent     ipbasek9
security      None          None          None
uc            None          None          None
data          None          None          None
What do I need to do?

Do "license boot module c3900 level security" and you should be set if you are running 15.0(1)M4 or newer. Keep in mind you do need to purchase a license even though it now is honor based.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
ior, are you involved in The Gathering this year? If so any chance I can be one of the network engineers on staff? I'd like to take a vacation around that time anyway.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Powercrazy posted:

ior, are you involved in The Gathering this year? If so any chance I can be one of the network engineers on staff? I'd like to take a vacation around that time anyway.

Yes I am. But sorry, you are too late, the crew was filled up a couple of weeks ago. :(

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003
This might not be a Cisco question, but the fiber does attach to some Cisco switches!

I'm curious what this object is in our demarc. A fiber cable goes from one switch, to the panel in the upper right of the box, then back out the same panel to another switch. The switches are right next to each other though, why not just use a 2 foot patch cable instead of running cables all the way to this mystery box?

Edit - Thanks!

aksuur fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 12, 2012

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

aksuur posted:

This might not be a Cisco question, but the fiber does attach to some Cisco switches!

It's a fiber patch panel, it presumably connects to some outside plant cable.

And looking at the bottom, it also has some unmounted splice trays. I would highly recommend not handling or disturbing the trays in bottom unless you know what you're doing.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So I'm the new kid on the block at my new gig, and I'm trying to critique our current datacenter deployments. In a particular segment we have 4 L3 switches on the same L2 domain, each with two uplinks to our core switches. The 4 switches are currently configured so that the same switch is the HSRP master for all vlans.

I'm going to more evenly distribute the load by changing the HSRP priority on each switch so that each switch will be the HSRP master for about a quarter of all the networks in that segment. Best practices dictate that I should make each HSRP master the Spanning Tree root as well. So my question is, Why? Why does spanning tree need to match HSRP, and what are the consequences if it does not?

I want some justification because I hate taking things based on faith, and I want to definitively prove that in X scenario, sub-optimal event Y will happen unless STP and HSRP are aligned. Any guidance here, anecdotes, problems that have been run into etc?

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

Why does spanning tree need to match HSRP, and what are the consequences if it does not?

If you have a situation where HSRP requires failover, you typically are in the same situation that you would have a Spanning Tree reconvergence as well. Most likely a switch failure. Having the Spanning Tree in the same place that you have HSRP means that your traffic paths will operate in a much more optimal fashion.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea I knew about the failover implications, I was wondering about the Day to Day stuff, where having arbitrary/mismatched HSRP/STP roots, won't have any affect.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Anyone interested in a Juniper SRX210h-POE? I'm pretty sure it's pretty much brand new. I took it out and powered it up to make sure it worked. I am getting a minor alarm light on the front, but I'm not seeing any errors or alarms in the logs or the show commands, so I'm assuming you get that when there's no config on it? Not sure. If there's anything you want me to check I can. I can also put it up in SA-Mart if you want to make it all official and stuff. Let me know!

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

Yea I knew about the failover implications, I was wondering about the Day to Day stuff, where having arbitrary/mismatched HSRP/STP roots, won't have any affect.

I haven't seen anything in the sites that i have cleaned up that anyone went "wow, it's faster!" or anything like that. But those sites were fairly stable, I can't imagine what an unstable site would look like with things mismatched like that.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Panthrax posted:

Anyone interested in a Juniper SRX210h-POE? I'm pretty sure it's pretty much brand new. I took it out and powered it up to make sure it worked. I am getting a minor alarm light on the front, but I'm not seeing any errors or alarms in the logs or the show commands, so I'm assuming you get that when there's no config on it? Not sure. If there's anything you want me to check I can. I can also put it up in SA-Mart if you want to make it all official and stuff. Let me know!

The alarm is probably from not setting a password or not setting a recovery config. I don't think SRX's alarm for having nothing in the management port, but that could be it too. So it's probably not broken. :)

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

I've got a quick question, and this looks like the best place for it:

If I stack two switches, can I create a LAG from a port on each switch to two ports on a single switch?

I'm attempting to create a redundant connection that will cover both cable failure and switch failure, but will not limit our voice and data networks to a single 1GB link.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Drighton posted:

If I stack two switches, can I create a LAG from a port on each switch to two ports on a single switch?

I'm attempting to create a redundant connection that will cover both cable failure and switch failure, but will not limit our voice and data networks to a single 1GB link.
Absolutely, we do this for every server where I work except it's for 10GbE connections. When both members are active in the port-channel the effective bandwidth to the server is 20GbE. I am only familar with setting this up in Solaris/Linux. In Solaris it is called link aggregation and in Linux is is called bonding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Drighton posted:

When you say "stack" do you mean something like Cisco's stackwise, or juniper's equivalent or whatever? If so, then yes, as logically the switch stack is 1 switch. If they are two independent switches, then no you can't.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

When you say "stack" do you mean something like Cisco's stackwise, or juniper's equivalent or whatever? If so, then yes, as logically the switch stack is 1 switch. If they are two independent switches, then no you can't.

Cisco would be nice, but it'd be Dell switches. But it should work just the same. Awesome, I love learning this stuff. Got to look into stacking the riser closet too.

Thanks!

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
If the switch supports multichassis LACP and ICCP you can from two seperate switches.

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

Panthrax posted:

I am seriously interested. email z0rz0rz0rz0rz0rz0rz0rz0rz0rz0r@gmail.com with the info.

I will take it off your hands.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Is there a way to use policy nat on a pix to change the source IP on incoming traffic?

For example:

Outside IP 9.9.9.9 going to 4.5.6.7 ----> Pix with static nat for 4.5.6.7 to 192.168.1.1 rewrites source IP of 9.9.9.9 to 192.168.1.254 ---> Router with 192.168.1.1 IP

Doing this because of routing changes made for a client cause asynchronous routing when the source is an external IP.. I could probably add a static route to 9.9.9.9 to traverse the MPLS and out the WAN circuit but :effort:

Sepist fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 13, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I have an Android ICS tablet that I'd like to connect to my Cisco ASA550 VPN. It's a standard IPSec vpn connection with group name/pre-shared key. I put in all the settings and all I get is a timeout. I thought ICS was supposed to work with Cisco IPSec? Anyone know?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Frozen-Solid posted:

I have an Android ICS tablet that I'd like to connect to my Cisco ASA550 VPN. It's a standard IPSec vpn connection with group name/pre-shared key. I put in all the settings and all I get is a timeout. I thought ICS was supposed to work with Cisco IPSec? Anyone know?

You haven't posted any:

details of the connection (L2TP, PPTP, IPSEC [AH, ESP], cyphers, hash
SW version on the ASA
logs or debugs from both the ICS device and the ASA

How are you expecting anyone to help you again?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Tremblay posted:

You haven't posted any:

details of the connection (L2TP, PPTP, IPSEC [AH, ESP], cyphers, hash
SW version on the ASA
logs or debugs from both the ICS device and the ASA

How are you expecting anyone to help you again?

I didn't give more details because I wasn't even sure if it should work at all. As far as I was aware it didn't work at all pre-ICS so I was asking that before going any further.

For details of the connection: I already said it's Cisco IPSec with a groupname/preshared key. On an iOS device you can hit IPSec fill in that info and it just works, if that describes it better?

As for version it's an ASA version 8.3(1), ADSM 6.3(1).

Here's a log of what the logcat on the Andriod reports. It looks like it's connecting, and immediately claiming that the session is expired?

D/racoon ( 5375): Waiting for control socket
D/racoon ( 5375): Received 9 arguments
I/racoon ( 5375): ipsec-tools 0.8.0 (http://ipsec-tools.sf.net)
I/racoon ( 5375): 192.168.0.179[500] used for NAT-T
I/racoon ( 5375): 192.168.0.179[500] used as isakmp port (fd=10)
I/racoon ( 5375): 192.168.0.179[4500] used for NAT-T
I/racoon ( 5375): 192.168.0.179[4500] used as isakmp port (fd=11)
I/racoon ( 5375): initiate new phase 1 negotiation: 192.168.0.179[500]<=><ip removed>[500]
I/racoon ( 5375): begin Aggressive mode.
I/racoon ( 5375): received Vendor ID: CISCO-UNITY
I/racoon ( 5375): received Vendor ID: draft-ietf-ipsra-isakmp-xauth-06.txt
I/racoon ( 5375): received Vendor ID: DPD
I/racoon ( 5375): received Vendor ID: draft-ietf-ipsec-nat-t-ike-02
I/racoon ( 5375):
I/racoon ( 5375): received broken Microsoft ID: FRAGMENTATION
W/racoon ( 5375): port 500 expected, but 0
I/racoon ( 5375): Selected NAT-T version: draft-ietf-ipsec-nat-t-ike-02
I/racoon ( 5375):
I/racoon ( 5375): Hashing 192.168.0.179[500] with algo #2
I/racoon ( 5375): NAT-D payload #-1 doesn't match
I/racoon ( 5375): Hashing <ip removed>[500] with algo #2
I/racoon ( 5375): NAT-D payload #0 verified
I/racoon ( 5375): NAT detected: ME
I/racoon ( 5375): KA list add: 192.168.0.179[4500]-><ip removed>[4500]
I/racoon ( 5375): couldn't find the proper pskey, try to get one by the peer's address.
I/racoon ( 5375): Adding remote and local NAT-D payloads.
I/racoon ( 5375): Hashing <ip removed>[4500] with algo #2
I/racoon ( 5375): Hashing 192.168.0.179[4500] with algo #2
I/racoon ( 5375): ISAKMP-SA established 192.168.0.179[4500]-<ip removed>[4500] spi:04ba6ad1d781f1de:f722198067edaf2a
I/racoon ( 5375): ISAKMP-SA expired 192.168.0.179[4500]-<ip removed>[4500] spi:04ba6ad1d781f1de:f722198067edaf2a
I/racoon ( 5375): ISAKMP-SA deleted 192.168.0.179[4500]-<ip removed>[4500] spi:04ba6ad1d781f1de:f722198067edaf2a
I/racoon ( 5375): KA remove: 192.168.0.179[4500]-><ip removed>[4500]
E/racoon ( 5375): Connection is closed
I/racoon ( 5375): Bye

I have no idea how to get the ASA logs from the ASA itself.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Is Cisco Nexus layer 2 only or is there a model with IP services?

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is Cisco Nexus layer 2 only or is there a model with IP services?

Which ones? The 5K or the 7K?

The 5K are layer 2 out of the box, but you can add a layer 3 routing module to the 5500 series. Be careful, because that will drop you from 24 FEX in layer 2 to 8 FEX in layer 3 operating mode.

For reference: Configuration Limitations with N55-D160L3, N55-M160L3, and N55-M160UP

That said, the 7k are made to be layer 3 out of the box. Just be careful of the feature sets... they seem to have hosed over people in the past due to the equipment not having the features they wanted.

Kenfoldsfive
Jan 1, 2003

The un-bitey-ness of a chicken's head and the "I don't want to cook that"-ness of a dog's body
Does anybody have any recommendations of IOS 12.4(x) vs 15? There are no specific features that compel me to go to 15, but when I'm deploying new hardware, it seems like it would make sense for me to go with the latest. I know there were some issues with licensing before (you can no longer make your lan base switch think it's running advanced enterprise services), but now that all the new stuff uses universal images, that's less of an issue.

Although when getting hardware shipped from Cisco, it still comes loaded with 12.2. It's almost like they don't trust their own release. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
IOS 12.4 is for routers and it's end of life. Use 15.

IOS for switches used a different numbering scheme; there was never a 12.3 or 12.4 for switches. IOS 15 recently came out for switches. I don't know if the older stuff has been officially EOLd yet or not. You may as well use 15 if it's available.