Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Russian Bear posted:

And these are the riders who are suppose to set an example for others :sigh:

If the alternative was to run into the car, wasn't this the correct course of action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

orthod0ks posted:

If the alternative was to run into the car, wasn't this the correct course of action?

That's what they always pretend it is, but in reality he probably panic braked, lost the front and arrived at the scene of the accident already crashed. A sliding bike and tumbling rider does not stop better than a modern bike (even a Harley) braking hard without losing traction. And in most situations like this you have the option to swerve. Not so when you "lay 'er down" you might even tumble under the crossing car's wheels.

I'm tempted to send an email to the journalists and tip them about this, I'm sure they'd love to find out exactly how skilled the police is.

edit: Article says "He was forced off the road and dumped his bike." I suppose if he swerved onto the grass to miss an accident, you can't blame him for falling over.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

orthod0ks posted:

You can lose WAY more speed through proper braking, and sliding is a complete loss of control. When you and the bike slide, you go in a straight line and don't slow down as much as if you would have kept it up.

If the alternative was to run into the car, then he would have run into the car after layin' 'er down as well. If there was room for him to slide safely without hitting the car, then there was plenty of room for him to brake / swerve.

Edit: Oh he swerved off-road. Ok. Rough situation all around.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
You guys still don't understand Harley Davidsons.

They stop quicker if you "lay er down" than if you use the brakes. You guys probably think harley.jpg is an amusing picture of middle aged male ego punctured -no, it's just what we in the HOG call an emergency stop.

Could you people please stop disrespecting my motorcycle of choice and that of the fine upstanding police officers of our great nation (upper volta)!?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd lean more towards it being lovely reporting than lovely riding. Most motocops I've met are excellent riders. Hell, I've seen a motocop on the BMWs they used awhile back chase down a literbike up the twisties, sparking head cylinders and all.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
... you saw it?

:smugdog: were you doing something you shouldn't have been?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

I'd lean more towards it being lovely reporting than lovely riding. Most motocops I've met are excellent riders. Hell, I've seen a motocop on the BMWs they used awhile back chase down a literbike up the twisties, sparking head cylinders and all.

Hey Z3n, could you explain what a head cylinder is, and what it does? :v: In haiku form if you don't mind.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

Hey Z3n, could you explain what a head cylinder is, and what it does? :v: In haiku form if you don't mind.

Valve cover grinds down
Magnesium sparks shower
lawyer counts income

Wait that didn't answer the question at all!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

... you saw it?

:smugdog: were you doing something you shouldn't have been?

Just an innocent bystander. :allears:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh my god this is possibly the best movie ever.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2011/April/apr2711-tt3d-spreads-to-more-cinemas-full-list/

Review by non-motorcycle person: http://everyfilmin2011.blogspot.com/2011/04/161-tt-3d-closer-to-edge.html

Trailer here: http://www.tt3dmovie.com/

I work with digital cinema and we have a UK chain amongst our clients. I can see the film sitting on a server...so close but yet so far.

edit: This has been discussed in the video thread I believe, I saw it but only now did I realize what an amazing movie it might be.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 27, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Oh my god this is possibly the best movie ever.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2011/April/apr2711-tt3d-spreads-to-more-cinemas-full-list/

Review by non-motorcycle person: http://everyfilmin2011.blogspot.com/2011/04/161-tt-3d-closer-to-edge.html

Trailer here: http://www.tt3dmovie.com/

I work with digital cinema and we have a UK chain amongst our clients. I can see the film sitting on a server...so close but yet so far.

edit: This has been discussed in the video thread I believe, I saw it but only now did I realize what an amazing movie it might be.

I want to see this really badly but I don't think there will be a US release :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

When a man can eat his own head I will say THAT'S unbelievable because I don't believe a man can eat his own head, but...like we say, never say never.

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2011/04/23/two-new-clips-from-tt3d-closer-to-the-edge/

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slim Pickens posted:

Yeah, the website shows a lot of pretty cool bikes there. This Wednesday's probably gonna be crap for weather, and they seem to hold them almost monthly, so I'm about 50/50 on going.

Yeeeaaah, it's pissing out, and it's gonna piss for the rest of the day. I think I'll sit this one out and catch the next one.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Ola posted:

When a man can eat his own head I will say THAT'S unbelievable because I don't believe a man can eat his own head, but...like we say, never say never.

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2011/04/23/two-new-clips-from-tt3d-closer-to-the-edge/

God I love Guy Martin. Also, did he say that he doesn't mind/isn't into shagging? I think thats what he said. Or my Guy Martin Irish decoder is off.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrZig posted:

God I love Guy Martin. Also, did he say that he doesn't mind/isn't into shagging? I think thats what he said. Or my Guy Martin Irish decoder is off.

If your Guy Martin decoder is set to Irish it won't receive properly, will it boss. But tell you what, set it to northern English and you can do no wrong.

But he did say that. He does't mind though, he's just not into it. Someone should tell him getting into it is the most important bit.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Ola posted:

If your Guy Martin decoder is set to Irish it won't receive properly, will it boss. But tell you what, set it to northern English and you can do no wrong.

But he did say that. He does't mind though, he's just not into it. Someone should tell him getting into it is the most important bit.

You just blew my mind. All these years I thought he was Irish. What the gently caress.

Also I'd take racing the TT over being a man whore any day. But I would think that you could be both at the same time.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Swap TT for MotoGP and you have Randy de Puniet, basically.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Well, poo poo. 2 years ago, my ex got me a $100 gift card to Chicago Cycle. I never used it because my bike broke last year and I hadn't fixed it. I was talking with my godfather over Easter who lives near the place and it seems like they have closed. Guess I'm (well she's) out $100.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

MrZig posted:

You just blew my mind. All these years I thought he was Irish. What the gently caress.

Also I'd take racing the TT over being a man whore any day. But I would think that you could be both at the same time.

He's from Lincolnshire, like the sausage.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Its a sad day. My Nelson Rigg bags according to the Fedex tracker were delivered to my apartment on Friday and signed for by someone who is not me. I called Fedex and they are going to set up a fraud ticket. I love shady people, seriously though who would really want some saddlebags, beside me of course.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've been trying to find a way to see TT3D for a week... It was to show in the neighbouring island of Jersey, but they only put on one showing, last Wednesday night.. I was over on Friday. I'm in Crawley (Gatwick) on Saturday night... but it's only showing on Tuesday and Wednesday. :smith:

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Its a sad day. My Nelson Rigg bags according to the Fedex tracker were delivered to my apartment on Friday and signed for by someone who is not me. I called Fedex and they are going to set up a fraud ticket. I love shady people, seriously though who would really want some saddlebags, beside me of course.

Don't lose all hope in humanity.. It may just be that the delivery guy couldn't be bothered to finish up his rounds, 'signed' for your parcel and dumped it in the loving trash...

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 28, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've been trying to find a way to see TT3D for a week... It was to show in the neighbouring island of Jersey, but they only put on one showing, last Wednesday night.. I was over on Friday. I'm in Crawley (Gatwick) on Saturday night... but it's only showing on Tuesday and Wednesday. :smith:

Odeon Brighton:

Saturday18:10 20:40

Assuming you are flying in from Guernsey (or Sark? God help you), if you don't have transport, just hop on the train at Gatwick. Odeon Brighton is down the hill near the water IIRC. About a 5 minute walk.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Saga posted:

Odeon Brighton:

Saturday18:10 20:40

Assuming you are flying in from Guernsey (or Sark? God help you), if you don't have transport, just hop on the train at Gatwick. Odeon Brighton is down the hill near the water IIRC. About a 5 minute walk.

Hmm, I had forgotten how close Brighton is, thanks for the heads up. Still, it's probably too close. I don't get in 'til gone 1900, but we'll see how it goes. Should be a good week regardless: I'm off to Corfu and I have the address of a good MC rental place :unsmith:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Hmm, I had forgotten how close Brighton is, thanks for the heads up. Still, it's probably too close. I don't get in 'til gone 1900, but we'll see how it goes. Should be a good week regardless: I'm off to Corfu and I have the address of a good MC rental place :unsmith:

It's about half an hour on the train from the Gatwick station - don't know where in Crawley you might be. Allow for the usual 20 minutes of ads and you should be fine.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Check craigslist I guess?

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
They were at the apartment clubhouse, Awesome, I suppose they couldn't be bothered to call me nearly a week later. Install pics soon to come!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oohhhh man.
Today I've gotten to test ride a '11 Bonneville T100, '10 Bonneville SE, '11 Scrambler, AND a '11 Thruxton between a few dealers.
SO much fun. I'm glad I got to do some riding on this beautiful Chicago day.

Yeah pretty sure I am getting a Bonneville haha. After test riding them the Shadow RS doesn't really compare. Also the Bonneville feels smaller and for me thats a huge plus.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Got together with 6 coworkers to head a hundred miles out to GermanFest today. That is until one guy crash within 20miles from departure :

If he says it's OK to share the video, I'll post it in a few days when I see/hear from him again at work. We got him taken care of, and his brother is coming over to his place to look after him.

EDIT: before you ask, Helmet, Jacket and Gloves. His shoulder was a bit red, and he had a huge fuckoff chunk of his knee out. Stitches, antibiotics and painkillers are the order of the day. :(

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 30, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

blugu64 posted:

a huge fuckoff chunk of his knee out

:gonk:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

blugu64 posted:

Got together with 6 coworkers to head a hundred miles out to GermanFest today. That is until one guy crash within 20miles from departure :

If he says it's OK to share the video, I'll post it in a few days when I see/hear from him again at work. We got him taken care of, and his brother is coming over to his place to look after him.

EDIT: before you ask, Helmet, Jacket and Gloves. His shoulder was a bit red, and he had a huge fuckoff chunk of his knee out. Stitches, antibiotics and painkillers are the order of the day. :(

I'll never understand why people don't protect their legs. I hope he feels better soon.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
A fairly large chunk of riders don't even wear helmets. Be thankful he was wearing most of his gear.

Despite what SA and other forums would have you believe, the dudes that commute 2 miles in a full suit, race boots, gauntlets, back protector, condom, butt plug, etc... are in the very, very small minority.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The GL500 Silverwing. What a poor bike, it doesn't have much of a chance in today's retro fashion does it?

I wonder if there's a gently caress off cool naked bike underneath all that, like those amazing Virago street trackers.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ola posted:

I wonder if there's a gently caress off cool naked bike underneath all that, like those amazing Virago street trackers.

Yes. It's the CX500 I think ;)

And more importantly, the CX500 Turbo, with awesome paint.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 1, 2011

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

The GL500 Silverwing. What a poor bike, it doesn't have much of a chance in today's retro fashion does it?

Yeah, there's a couple for the CX500.

(click for links)

I kinda find a radiator on a cafe racer distracting, but that's just my bias towards Guzzis talking.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Bloody hell. Exactly what I was imagining.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, wrenchmonkees do an amazing job no matter what they're working on.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
When I was younger, I really really wanted a Silver Wing. Don't know why, but I always liked them. Probably because I thought it would have been great for 1 up touring.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ola posted:

Buy it.. I had a CX500 and it was fun as hell (when I rode it).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

You should come to Copenhagen and visit the Wrenchmonkees, they always have a couple of neat bikes for sale :)

Some day, I'll own one.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

JP Money posted:

A fairly large chunk of riders don't even wear helmets. Be thankful he was wearing most of his gear.

Despite what SA and other forums would have you believe, the dudes that commute 2 miles in a full suit, race boots, gauntlets, back protector, condom, butt plug, etc... are in the very, very small minority.

I know this and it doesn't make it right... I get poo poo from coworkers for wearing all my safety gear but I know what happens first hand when you have to "lay 'er down." :hurr: It boggles my imagination that people would wear a $500 armored jacket and then cotton jeans with hiking boots. Heck even the kevlar lined jeans/cargo pants are suspect based on some of the experiences of goons.

It pisses me off because in Michigan I'm already forced to pay $200 per motorcycle per year for a fund that covers all medical costs from motorcycle injuries. Now they are talking about repealing the helmet law. I can only imagine how much my insurance costs will increase despite me being fully armored on every loving ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Crayvex posted:

I know this and it doesn't make it right... I get poo poo from coworkers for wearing all my safety gear but I know what happens first hand when you have to "lay 'er down." :hurr: It boggles my imagination that people would wear a $500 armored jacket and then cotton jeans with hiking boots. Heck even the kevlar lined jeans/cargo pants are suspect based on some of the experiences of goons.

It pisses me off because in Michigan I'm already forced to pay $200 per motorcycle per year for a fund that covers all medical costs from motorcycle injuries. Now they are talking about repealing the helmet law. I can only imagine how much my insurance costs will increase despite me being fully armored on every loving ride.

If anything that will decrease the costs because people that survive with serious injuries will just be dead instead.

Am I the only person in the world that doesn't think you should cafe out every motorcyle older than a 1985? The silverwing isn't the prettiest bike in stock form but at least it's functional. It's the modern equivalent of putting race plastics on a Honda NT700.