Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

No, the point flew over both of your heads because you're being obtuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Akuma posted:

I totally get what they are trying to say, I just disagree.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Akuma posted:

Star Trek is not about technology or scientific progress and it's impact on humanity in any way, shape or form. It's just used as set-dressing for exactly the same sort of adventure stories found in Flash Gordon or Doctor Who. Some episodes included some social commentary, but then so do some episodes of Doctor Who and it doesn't make either of them "hard" science-fiction.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Oh Jesus Christ. For some reason I was mixing up Babylon 5 with Farscape. Babylon 5 is what I bloody hated, not Farscape.

Onion Vanguard fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 19, 2011

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Zorba the Greek posted:

Oh Jesus Christ. For some reason I was mixing up Babylon 5 with Farscape. Babylon 5 is what I bloody hated, not Farscape.

Opinion still worthless.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Kin posted:

Opinion still worthless.

You like Babylon 5? :stare:

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Zorba the Greek posted:

You like Babylon 5? :stare:

Babylon 5, barring most of the first series and half of the 5th series, is some of the greatest Sci-Fi ever made.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Oh my God, I refuse to believe people actually like that. Granted I've never got past the first series becuase it was the most horrible poo poo I've ever seen in my life.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

this is a pretty good post with quotes about sci-fi, hot dog!

quote:

Arthur C. Clarke

One of the biggest roles of science fiction is to prepare people to accept the future without pain and to encourage a flexibility of mind. Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories. Two-thirds of 2001 is realistic — hardware and technology — to establish background for the metaphysical, philosophical, and religious meanings later.
As quoted in The Making of Kubrick's 2001 (1970) by Jerome Agel, p. 300

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Stumiester posted:

Babylon 5, barring most of the first series and half of the 5th series, is some of the greatest Sci-Fi ever made.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that... but it was really entertaining to watch. Seriously did people not like it? I haven't met anyone who didn't like it? :confused:

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Lurchibles posted:

I wouldn't go as far as to say that... but it was really entertaining to watch. Seriously did people not like it? I haven't met anyone who didn't like it? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpb1OXvNNMc

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Why are we arguing over a bunch of non-UK scifi?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lurchibles posted:

The first 7 episodes are shockingly bad, the script is clumsy, the CGI is horrible, it's permeated with a very dated 90s style, the aliens are bland and the opening narration is the worst thing ever recorded.

It has some really good ideas, I've just finished the second series which is much better, but there's some pretty bad stuff in there. What kills it for me is the really vague tone. The ambassadors squabble like children and act in ways that would start wars if it happened in the UN. I get what they were trying for, showing the beginnings of intergalatic politics, but it doesn't feel rigorous enough for a political drama, but neither is it gung-ho enough for a space opera.

If it had been made post-Lost I think it would have turned out different, and MUCH better. It would really benefit from an ensemble cast and abandoning stand-alone episodes.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The first 7 episodes are shockingly bad, the script is clumsy, the CGI is horrible, it's permeated with a very dated 90s style, the aliens are bland and the opening narration is the worst thing ever recorded.

It has some really good ideas, I've just finished the second series which is much better, but there's some pretty bad stuff in there. What kills it for me is the really vague tone. The ambassadors squabble like children and act in ways that would start wars if it happened in the UN. I get what they were trying for, showing the beginnings of intergalatic politics, but it doesn't feel rigorous enough for a political drama, but neither is it gung-ho enough for a space opera.

If it had been made post-Lost I think it would have turned out different, and MUCH better. It would really benefit from an ensemble cast and abandoning stand-alone episodes.

Season 1 is awful, 2 is good, 3 and 4 are excellent, 5 is ok. If you like 2 at all, watch 3 and 4, they are really worth it. But yeah, not really UK TV...

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

the CGI is horrible,

I remember people writing in to Digitiser saying that because Amigas were used to make the Babylon 5 CGI, the system wasn't dead.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

I remember people writing in to Digitiser saying that because Amigas were used to make the Babylon 5 CGI, the system wasn't dead.

I bet Biffo or Hairs' responses to those letters were good. Or at least were accompanied by reveal-o stuff about Inspector Morse.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Bab 5 was of its time, it ran from 1994-98. This was before the big serialized dramas really took off on cable (The Sopranos didn't start till '99) and TV was generally less smart and less mature than it is today. Something like new Galactica could never have been made in 1994 in the form it finally took, nor could even more heavily serialized genre shows like Lost.

So yeah, it's nowhere near as literate or clever as premium cable drama, and not as exciting as network serialized shows. The acting is pretty variable and the writing goes from pretty good to pretty poor. But it was building on what had come before, and providing a foundation for things to come. It was ground breaking and deserves some respect even if parts are laughably dated 15 years later.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Insincere Dave agrees that the Amiga is alive and well!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Star Trek is essentially a non-threatening bedtime story for adult children. For all that Doctor Who gets called kids TV, it is Newsnight Review compared to Trek.
In Star Trek there is never any real substance to any of the stories. Ever. Yes, they do try social commentary every now and then, but it's always clumsy, unsophisticated, and usually boils down to an extremely awkward lesbian kiss with no tongues.
It's just safe, bland, escapist dross with added titilation for people scared of boobies. And that would be just fine if it wasn't for the fact that people insist that it is the best scifi ever.

gently caress trekkies and their developmentally subnormal version of Humpty Dumpty.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
all sci fi is for for virgin nerds imo :yum:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Did anyone watch the Kennedy's?

It's pretty cheesy but that seems to be in common with the Canadian dramas I've seen.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Semprini posted:

Insincere Dave agrees that the Amiga is alive and well!

Gossi the Dog has heard from industry insiders that Amiga is due for a big comeback in 2011. And if that isn't true, Gossi's master will thrash him again.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Metrication posted:

It's pretty cheesy but that seems to be in common with the Canadian dramas I've seen.

Did anybody manage to sit through the apologia that the BBC put with it to try and detoxify the show from all that mess with the history channel.
What does John Bird know about the Kennedys?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Metrication posted:

I can't get over that it's being done by the same production company that did 24... Even the guy doing the music is the same and boy howdy is he just phoning that poo poo in.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
I watched a bit of The Kennedys just to see Barry Pepper, "star" of Battlefield: Earth.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Why in gods name I care for The Kennedys, unless it shows Joe Kennedy for being the ultimate tool that he was of course.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Metrication posted:

I was looking forward to it because I find American history pretty interesting, plus I always love seeing Tom Wilkinson doing things.

I watched the first episode and found it oddly detached and frankly rather boring. Greg Kinnear in particular is so wooden that I get the feeling that he's putting all of his effort into keeping his accent. Katie Holmes looks the part but could literally be in flames and I still wouldn't be convinced that she was on fire. I did, however, quite like Barry Pepper.

Does the series go on to touch on JFK's legendary womanising? Would consider re-watching to see the approach to that.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Star Trek is essentially a non-threatening bedtime story for adult children. For all that Doctor Who gets called kids TV, it is Newsnight Review compared to Trek.

The wrongest thing ever.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Watching the Terry Pratchett doc on the iplayer and it cuts out 10 mins before the end. It seems the seven days are up.
Does anyone know if they're planning to repeat it anytime soon?

Psybro
May 12, 2002

ChuckDHead posted:

Well, hopefully the Injury Lawyers 4 You guys die outright in the fight, because if they survive, they'll chase their own ambulances, leading to some sort of paradox.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007
Who the gently caress would use a company that has txtspk in its name? Do they end every communication with LOL >_< ?

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Jawidar posted:

Who the gently caress would use a company that has txtspk in its name? Do they end every communication with LOL >_< ?

The kind of people who require the services of the 21st century version of an ambulance chaser?

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
Hmm, who can we get as the friendly face of our legal services advertising campaign? Oh, how about the actor Billy Murray, most recently known for his role as vicious gangster, murderer and conman Johnny Allen in Eastenders.

A piece of casting genius by whichever agency is responsible for those commercials.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Remember they are 100% lawyers.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

MisterLizard posted:

Hmm, who can we get as the friendly face of our legal services advertising campaign? Oh, how about the actor Billy Murray, most recently known for his role as vicious gangster, murderer and conman Johnny Allen in Eastenders.

A piece of casting genius by whichever agency is responsible for those commercials.

Previously known for his role on the Bill where he played a dirty cop who viciously murdered a long starring good cop. Fucker lured him to some construction yard, beat him up and then smothered him to death on a pile of silt or gravel or whatever.

It's about the only thing i remember from the bill.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Kin posted:

Previously known for his role on the Bill where he played a dirty cop who viciously murdered a long starring good cop. Fucker lured him to some construction yard, beat him up and then smothered him to death on a pile of silt or gravel or whatever.

It's about the only thing i remember from the bill.

Is he the guy they chased to Australia (fun fact, people over there loved The Bill) and who got blown up when his getaway boat exploded?

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Psybro posted:

That's why, when you present the details of your claim, they give it to you straight - like a lawyer made from 100% law.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

"This is Eric. He was injured in an accident at work. However, because he only used a 74% lawyer, his case collapsed and he was forced to be the judge's servant. Don't let this happen to you. Don't settle for less than 100% lawyer!"

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just going to post this great Adam Curtis parody in the middle of all of the Sci-Fi and Lawyers Of A Certain Percentage talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg

I do hope it hasn't been posted here already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Psybro posted:

See if I was going to court I'd want 100% solicitors. Lawyers are only good for crazy USAnian law.