Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alright, searched the OP and stuff, but I'll post a question here just to be pedantic: I'm looking at 120Hz 1080p monitors, for games. Any recommendations that aren't insanely expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Asus VG-something or other (23 inch) seems to be the cheapest.

I've been musing whether to try one or not, but I'm not sure I want to go from IPS back to TN. Some people care, some don't. I wish there was a local store where I could look at one before making the decision.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Anyone tried mounting this or something like it? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10235&seq=1&format=2#description

Trying to find a desk mount that will handle it - my other two monitors are going to be pretty simply, but this one's the problem child. Making things worse, it needs to be mounted slightly off center due to the way my desk is setup.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

So I'm building a new desktop to replace the laptop I've been using for 3 years. It will be used for gaming (and other stuff, but mostly gaming).

Now, I'm thinking about trying an IPS monitor, but I used to care about stuff like response lag when I was playing CS in high school (9 years ago) on my old flat screen CRT. I'm guessing my aging eyes don't give a poo poo anymore though.

Newegg has a sweet looking deal on this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260104
The machine I'll be using it with is here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1lp0X

Is this a smart decision? Or am I compromising too much quality in trying to cut the price as much as possible on the monitor?

edit: alternatively this one, which has better response time (5ms compared to 7, not sure how noticeable that'd be) and HDMI connectivity, which probably isn't that important to me. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009484

k-spar fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 28, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I remember some discussion of how accurate different reviews were with respect to input lag, but I don't remember which reviewers were more accurate, or even if there was a general consensus reached. I'm asking because I found a really good price on a PA231W-BK. It's not meant for a gamer, but for ~$115 I'm very tempted to jump on it. What has me concerned is the input lag, which the TFT Central review reports as 28.1 ms. Any advice on what to do, or things I can try to see how much input lag is noticeable to me?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Try it out if you can and see if it bothers you, because there's nothing prohibitively unplayable about anything below 30ms

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I would if I could, but it was an online offer. It doesn't matter anyway, though. I took a closer look at the page, and apparently it was for a hood for that monitor :sigh:.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
So what's the deal with all these $15,000 OLED TVs I'm seeing in the news lately? I'm reading that people have been looking to engineer the technology for common use since 2001, but it's only now coming into its own in very rare production...? This is going to sound very stupid, but why is it so difficult when things like smartphones and Vitas have had OLEDs for a good dozen or so months now?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It's very expensive to make them huge, and there are still problems with the elements breaking down over time, after all, the organic part makes them volatile. My smartphone screen already looks sub-par, and I saw exactly the same thing happening to a friend's Galaxy S3.

There's no way in hell I would ever buy an OLED TV.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

This is going to sound very stupid, but why is it so difficult when things like smartphones and Vitas have had OLEDs for a good dozen or so months now?

It's kinda the reverse of what the normal pricing issue has been: with LED panels, the physical material costs were pretty low, and the difficulty was trying to jam a ton of pixels into a small space--hence why smaller, denser screens were usually more expensive than larger, less dense ones. With OLEDs, the actual expense of the physical materials is much larger--the pixel density thing has already been solved, but they've yet to figure out how to make OLED production cheaper. Hence physically larger screens being a lot more expensive than smaller ones, regardless of pixel density.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I see, thanks. I take it much of the expense of OLED production has to do with the whole biodegradable durability issue?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Does this mean my PlayStation Vita screen is going to dissolve into a puddle of goo in a year or two?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Parker Lewis posted:

Does this mean my PlayStation Vita screen is going to dissolve into a puddle of goo in a year or two?
It's going to get more yellow as the blue OLEDs start to fade, but don't worry, you'll notice the burn-in first.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Several years ago, I received an Acer AL2216W as a birthday gift from my parents. In my recent move, the screen got scratched pretty noticeably, so I'm making a claim (hooray government moving). Problem is that I have no idea what it cost back then. Nowhere seems to have any pricing information (because it's old). Can anyone help me out?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hooah posted:

Several years ago, I received an Acer AL2216W as a birthday gift from my parents. In my recent move, the screen got scratched pretty noticeably, so I'm making a claim (hooray government moving). Problem is that I have no idea what it cost back then. Nowhere seems to have any pricing information (because it's old). Can anyone help me out?
Looks like it was ~$300 when it came out six years ago.
http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/acer-al2216wbd/4505-3174_7-32082877.html

I'd estimate the current value (sans scratch) at $50 or less.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Looks like it was ~$300 when it came out six years ago.
http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/acer-al2216wbd/4505-3174_7-32082877.html

I'd estimate the current value (sans scratch) at $50 or less.

Thanks. The beauty of this is that we get to claim the purchase price, not the current value.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 26, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Unless you live near a MicroCenter, returns and warranty support with Dell are going to be a good bit easier. The ASUS isn't bad by any means, but it's a cheap stripped down screen intended to hit a price point. The extra $25 (after shipping) that the Dell would cost you will buy better build quality, and height adjustment is actually pretty awesome once you get spoiled by it. I also would suspect that the Dell's AG coating is probably more aggressive than the ASUS, rather than the other way around.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 26, 2021

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Top Quark posted:

e: I should probably include some details. I've connected it to my laptop as a second monitor, for which I'm using a VGA cable, and it's displaying at it's native resolution of 1920x1200@60hz. I haven't done any sort of color calibration or whatever (but that wouldn't help with this issue, right?)

Try pressing the menu button and hitting "auto adjust". It helps on some monitors when using an analog input like VGA.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

harrygomm posted:

I will be exclusively gaming on it. I know the Dell, despite being advertised as 8ms, in practice has an exceptionally low practical response time (TFT Central review). However, it's screen size is 21.5" despite being advertised as a 23" monitor.

Why do you think that? The U2312M is a 23" monitor

dissss fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 30, 2013

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 26, 2021

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

harrygomm posted:

Newegg, amazon, and I believe the dell site itself all have a listing that says 23" in the title but 21.5" is listed in the screen size in the detailed specs below it.

Are you talking about this Newegg page? Or this Amazon page? Or this Dell page? Because on none of those do I see 21.5".

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

hooah posted:

That's how much I paid for the same model in 2007.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
So one of my recently purchased monitors will have the screen "go out" for lack of a better description for a second or two, and then return to normal. The computer doesn't detect the monitor as having turned off or anything.

power supply on the fritz, or something else?

E: Also, gently caress Dell. To get warranty information you need a service tag, and they will readily tell you that 24" Ultrasharp monitors do not have a service tag.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 26, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Comradephate posted:

E: Also, gently caress Dell. To get warranty information you need a service tag, and they will readily tell you that 24" Ultrasharp monitors do not have a service tag.
Correct, but you don't need one. You can get warranty support by giving them the serial number off the monitor and one or two other bits of information--usually where you bought it from.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I want to get a higher-resolution monitor so I'm interested in these Korean 2560x1440 jobs. Can someone recommend a specific unit, or vendor to look at?

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

Crimson Harvest posted:

I want to get a higher-resolution monitor so I'm interested in these Korean 2560x1440 jobs. Can someone recommend a specific unit, or vendor to look at?

Here is an informative article from tested.com
http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/449537-korean-monitor-guide/

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Has anyone heard of the X Start DP2710 from zoneforbuyer? It's a Korean monitor using a PLS panel from Samsung and from a quick search the Samsung PLS screens seems to be the cheapest by about ~35 bux or so. Was just wondering 'cause I MAY look at picking one up (dependant on a few things).

Edit: I did briefly skim over that article above too, but IIRC it doesn't mention anything about PLS screens, as it seems to be written when the Korean monitors were first becoming popular.

Guni fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 31, 2013

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Hoping someone could offer some advise:

- I don't have room in my flat to have a separate desk for my PC, as a result I currently game on this piece of poo poo TV at 1366x780
- I need a screen for two things: Watching streamed movies from our sofa (about 8/9 feet away) and for gaming (FPSs) on the PC. Won't be doing much browsing as that's taken care of with my laptop.
- Everything runs from my PC, through a receiver and to the screen. I don't actually use the "TV" part of the TV at all
- The monitor need to be at least as big as my TV currently is (26") so we can see what's going on from the sofa
- My budget it about £250 give or take

Is there anything decent I can get that'll run games at 1920x1080 or above for that price?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Guni posted:

Has anyone heard of the X Start DP2710 from zoneforbuyer? It's a Korean monitor using a PLS panel from Samsung and from a quick search the Samsung PLS screens seems to be the cheapest by about ~35 bux or so. Was just wondering 'cause I MAY look at picking one up (dependant on a few things).

Edit: I did briefly skim over that article above too, but IIRC it doesn't mention anything about PLS screens, as it seems to be written when the Korean monitors were first becoming popular.

Google the QNIX QX2710 if you can, it's the exact same build as the X-Star, you might find a cheaper offer. General trend for these things appears to be 280 USD at the lowest, so see if you can find something that's...312 AUSD?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

DrDork posted:

Correct, but you don't need one. You can get warranty support by giving them the serial number off the monitor and one or two other bits of information--usually where you bought it from.

I know, but I have to call and read a 20 character serial number to somebody in a sweaty callcenter in India who doesn't give a poo poo about his job. Can't do it through the form, and can't do it on live chat.

I'm just bitching.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Comradephate posted:

I know, but I have to call and read a 20 character serial number to somebody in a sweaty callcenter in India who doesn't give a poo poo about his job. Can't do it through the form, and can't do it on live chat.

I'm just bitching.

As someone who has had to get warranty service for a 24 inch ultrasharp, this is the truth. Dell's warranty is awesome but contacting someone about it is an exercise in trying your patience.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I used the business support channels, and called from work, used the work address for the replacement.

Thus, even though I never stated it, it was implied that I was getting a replacement for a business.

Everything went fast, no Indians, had it the next day. I suggest this route.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'm going to be returning to school soon, pursuing certificates in animation and web programming.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-260-125
Is the monitor I'm looking at. I will be using it for digital art making (illustration, animation, & web programming), and potentially to play games as well. My research indicates that it may end up being more difficult to use a high gamut display to make art for digital mass media (I really have no clue at this point, which it's why I'm going back to school). Would a regular 27" UltraSharp be better suited to my needs?

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 1, 2013

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

dog nougat posted:

I'm going to be returning to school soon, pursuing certificates in animation and web programming. I'm looking at getting a better monitor. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-260-125

That monitor, or similar models go on sale regularly for about $550, or can be had refurbished for about $450. Or you can get a barebones korean version for about $300.

dog nougat posted:

This looks promising, if a bit pricey. It seems to be a high gamut monitor. My question is how necessary or helpful will a high resolution, high gamut monitor be for me when making digital media, art and websites?

It gives you a much larger work space, but so do multiple monitors.

quaker69 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 1, 2013

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

BrettRobb posted:

That monitor, or similar models go on sale regularly for about $550, or can be had refurbished for about $450. Or you can get a barebones korean version for about $300.

It gives you a much larger work space, but so do multiple monitors.

I'm really interested in the feel because of the quality and easy warranty. I'm perfectly fine with waiting for a sale since I won't be getting into the "meat" of the program until next semester most likely.

Multiple monitors are certainly a possibility, but I don't think it's 100% necessary at this point. 2560x1440 should easily suffice for my current needs.

My major concern right now is whether or not the larger color range will really be worth it for me, or if it's just going to make my work harder.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

dog nougat posted:

My research indicates that it may end up being more difficult to use a high gamut display to make art for digital mass media (I really have no clue at this point, which it's why I'm going back to school). Would a regular 27" UltraSharp be better suited to my needs?

High gamut monitors are geared more toward the print/textile/phsical media industries. If you're going to be focusing on digital media then high gamut won't really do you much good since your target audience isn't going to have fancy high gamut monitors to view your work on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

HalloKitty posted:

I used the business support channels, and called from work, used the work address for the replacement.

Thus, even though I never stated it, it was implied that I was getting a replacement for a business.

Everything went fast, no Indians, had it the next day. I suggest this route.

oh poo poo, my work totally gets stuff through Dell.

Not sure why I did not think of that. I will talk to the folks in shipping and receiving on Monday.

Thanks for the idea.