Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

baram. posted:

this happened to me for a week about a month ago. I wound up trying everything but it wasn't until I did a system restore that it started working.

I have Verizon and it was only on their cell network, and it was just imgur images broken.
This just started happening to me the last week or so. Works fine at home but on Verizon LTE pics dont load. They always have before though.

I havent tried a system restore or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Keystoned posted:

This just started happening to me the last week or so. Works fine at home but on Verizon LTE pics dont load. They always have before though.

Does it work OK in Safari or Chrome?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Fedule posted:

An esoteric but harmless glitch:

Note the middle thread there. Also find and read it if you haven't already, it's some good forums poo poo. Anyway, it was originally in A/T but got moved to E/N for reasons that are apparent if you read it, but in Awful it still shows its old "ask" badge.

Not sure if even worth fixing TBH but hey.

That's hilarious. When scraping the Forums' HTML I lean heavily towards only using info I can find on the page, and if I can't find something on the page I don't update it. So if I can't find, say, the "Ask" tag on a thread (because it's not in Ask/Tell), I err towards leaving the existing tag alone.

Clearly this scenario never occurred to me! Good find, I'll make a note, maybe it'll get fixed, maybe not.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Keystoned posted:

note: I followed that up stating it was phonewide and not appwide. like subjunctive said check if pictures on imgur load in safari/chrome because they also weren't for me.

edit: was the bug where threads in the forum view wouldn't load past a certain page not fixed? thought I hadn't seen it in a bit but it's happening on beta 30309.

baram. fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 14, 2015

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Update on the update: the smilie keyboard continues to punch above its weight, garnering two rejections from App Review so far. I think I'm confused about the terminology they use around keyboard extensions. Hopefully we can get it cleared up.

baram. posted:

edit: was the bug where threads in the forum view wouldn't load past a certain page not fixed? thought I hadn't seen it in a bit but it's happening on beta 30309.

Should work after pulling to refresh. I didn't do anything yet to fix that bug.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there some way you can request a live chat consultation with the app review people? That way they can clarify what's getting rejected?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Would it be difficult to break out the keyboard into its own app?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jivjov posted:

Is there some way you can request a live chat consultation with the app review people? That way they can clarify what's getting rejected?

We can easily exchange written messages, I'm trying that for now.

serebralassazin posted:

Would it be difficult to break out the keyboard into its own app?

No.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I had to reinstall because when I opened the app I was trapped in a reply box for a non exsistant thread. Cancelling would crash the app to springboard. Hard resetting my phone or closed the app from the spring board never helped.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I'm still having a bitch of a time with the IMG option on the latest beta. I don't know the exact trigger yet, but I keep ending up with the wrong menu coming up when I tap [img] and it refuses to work properly until I kill the app and reload it from the multitasker.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Not sure if I even got the most recent update, or if it's supposed to fix this, but I still get unknown error -1 when attempting to upload images to imgur. I don't think I have an account assigned for that purpose.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Success! I can now remove subforums that I accidentally favorited!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

baram. posted:

you can see it that user actually doesn't have it I think.. it's a large keyboard compared to the grenade though.

e: never mind it's still the grenade, just mostly non visible. I'm not sure what the keyboard icon is.

The keyboard icon is for the thread's OP.

pokeyman: Might've missed this, but any fixes in the works for rap sheets crashing the app? Haven't figured out what exactly causes it; short and long ones both crash out if there's any amount of scrolling involved.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Just got a popup about my auth toke expiring in 5 days, but no indication on what action I should take for it. Scanned last few pages and didn't see if this was new or not, what is actionable from it?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Log out and back in

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

reformed bad troll posted:

I had to reinstall because when I opened the app I was trapped in a reply box for a non exsistant thread. Cancelling would crash the app to springboard. Hard resetting my phone or closed the app from the spring board never helped.

Thought I'd fixed that by now. Good to know, I'll add it to the list.

Vegastar posted:

I'm still having a bitch of a time with the IMG option on the latest beta. I don't know the exact trigger yet, but I keep ending up with the wrong menu coming up when I tap [img] and it refuses to work properly until I kill the app and reload it from the multitasker.

Alright, I'll take another look.

kode54 posted:

Not sure if I even got the most recent update, or if it's supposed to fix this, but I still get unknown error -1 when attempting to upload images to imgur. I don't think I have an account assigned for that purpose.

The update that hopefully comes out soon should fix this.

Kaethela posted:

pokeyman: Might've missed this, but any fixes in the works for rap sheets crashing the app? Haven't figured out what exactly causes it; short and long ones both crash out if there's any amount of scrolling involved.

That should be fixed as of version 3.3 (30309), is it still broken there?

Hughlander posted:

Just got a popup about my auth toke expiring in 5 days, but no indication on what action I should take for it. Scanned last few pages and didn't see if this was new or not, what is actionable from it?

That's a good point, I'll reword that. But yeah, log out then back in and you're all set. Or just wait and the app should log you out automatically, letting you log back in.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

pokeyman posted:

working as intended.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I've been on the app store version for a while because my phone is being a pain in the rear end. I'll hop on the latest beta when I get the chance and try it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kaethela posted:

I've been on the app store version for a while because my phone is being a pain in the rear end. I'll hop on the latest beta when I get the chance and try it.

Oh ok, no problem. I can't tell who actively has the beta installed, I just have the big list of everyone, so I incorrectly assumed.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Thought I'd fixed that by now. Good to know, I'll add it to the list.

Alright, I'll take another look.

The update that hopefully comes out soon should fix this.

That's a good point, I'll reword that. But yeah, log out then back in and you're all set. Or just wait and the app should log you out automatically, letting you log back in.

As best I can tell for the img issue, it seems to pop up after posting with images. Trying to quote afterward will make a mess of it. Let me try something real quick and see if it's reproducible.

Here's a complimentary picture of my goon cat.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Oh ok, no problem. I can't tell who actively has the beta installed, I just have the big list of everyone, so I incorrectly assumed.

And now if I tap img it should poo poo itself.

Yup. Tapping img brings up an entirely different menu with tags for url, img, format and video. Tapping img a second time does nothing. If I kill the app from multitasker and reload it, it will work fine until another image is posted. The cycle will then repeat.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Most of the format options are working for me, but "code" causes a crash every time.

Also I'd love an option like this
code:
[video type="youtube"][/video]

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Snowy posted:

Most of the format options are working for me, but "code" causes a crash every time.

code:

agreed. or even just have it parse a YouTube and embed it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

baram. posted:

agreed. or even just have it parse a YouTube and embed it.

I'll take a stab at this unless one of the more experienced contributors wants it done faster.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Vegastar posted:

Yup. Tapping img brings up an entirely different menu with tags for url, img, format and video. Tapping img a second time does nothing. If I kill the app from multitasker and reload it, it will work fine until another image is posted. The cycle will then repeat.

Yeah, I have the same issue. Deleted/re downloaded today and still have the issue. The broken menu also refuses to format text.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I accidentally added TFR to my favorites and when I try to remove it, it crashes the moment I hit delete. I've restarted and force quit the app, any suggestions?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I accidentally added TFR to my favorites and when I try to remove it, it crashes the moment I hit delete. I've restarted and force quit the app, any suggestions?

Hurry up and wait. It's a bug that's on the list to be fixed, if I remember right. Pokeman is aware of the problem.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Vegastar posted:

Alright, thanks, I'll take another pass.

Snowy posted:

code:

What kind of option? Like you want to just insert that text with the cursor between the ][? If you have a copied YouTube URL and paste it in from the [video] menu it should paste like that.

carry on then posted:

I'll take a stab at this unless one of the more experienced contributors wants it done faster.

I think it's done. Maybe it's in the next version and I've just forgotten.

SKY COQ posted:

Yeah, I have the same issue. Deleted/re downloaded today and still have the issue. The broken menu also refuses to format text.

Curious, I'll add that to the list too.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Should be fixed in the next version.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Can you lighten the macinyos threadview color by a good deal? It's way too dark-grey now and looks like rear end, especially with the glaring light/white when you pull to refresh or pull up to load more threads

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Can I get a beta invite? It seems that's where all the updates are happening, as the stable release hasn't been updated since March 5th. I can pm you my Apple ID.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

death .cab for qt posted:

Can you lighten the macinyos threadview color by a good deal? It's way too dark-grey now and looks like rear end, especially with the glaring light/white when you pull to refresh or pull up to load more threads

Sure thing skip.

kode54 posted:

Can I get a beta invite? It seems that's where all the updates are happening, as the stable release hasn't been updated since March 5th. I can pm you my Apple ID.

Yep, send me an email address and I'll hook you up.

Tons of spots left, if anyone else is reading this with interest.

Also, for what it's worth, there's been a version of Awful in various states of App Review since April 29. It's coming.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
If the holdup continues to be the smilies keyboard, is it really worth it? It kind of scares me that there are that many people who are so invested in SA that they actually use the smilies outside of the forums and need access to them at all times on their phone, and I'd much rather just have an app that has regular bug-fixing updates than waiting while you try to identify and remove random smilies that apple deems offensive.

Of course maybe I'm wrong and the latest rejections have been non-keyboard related. It just seems like such an unimportant feature, while I'd like to be able to load the second page of a forum reliably.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The latest crop of rejections have been keyboard related, but not due to smilies deemed offensive.

The first rejection was a crash in the keyboard that I couldn't replicate, though I did notice that the way we were detecting whether "Full Access" was enabled had stopped working in iOS 8.3, so I fixed that and resubmitted.

Next it was rejected because the keyboard was apparently insufficiently functional when "Full Access" is disabled. The rejection reason was hilariously unclear so it took a couple more days to understand the issue and then fix it.

I then resubmitted on May 18. Haven't heard anything since. I assume they'll get back to me soon but who knows.

And it's set to release as soon as it's approved so y'all won't be waiting for me to wake up and push the button or whatever.

All that said, I'm with you. I've considered removing the custom keyboard extension many times, relegating it to in-app use only. I certainly won't promise that it'll survive through the next major version of Awful.

If I do take it out, I'd look into putting it in a dedicated app for those who want it. Then Awful proper doesn't have the keyboard guidelines getting it rejected.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Every time I've tried to use the smiley keyboard it's been too sluggish to try finding anything, I definitely wouldn't miss it

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That's my fault, it could definitely work a lot better.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Throwing in my support for getting rid of it. Clearly it's been way more trouble than it's worth, and given what sort of smilies SA has it's just going to keep giving Apple reasons to reject the app.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I don't mind the smilies keyboard in app but I also don't use it systemwide.

Wouldn't shed a tear if it went away. I've been here long enough, sadly, to memorize the smilies I use commonly. :shrug:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I love the smilie keyboard. If you do take it out of Awful itself I'll install the separate app.

I've been manually sending my wife :mediocre: since it was created.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I support branching it off. Even how it is now I can spend 5 minutes just trying to find the one I want due to the sheer amount of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Brain Curry posted:

I love the smilie keyboard. If you do take it out of Awful itself I'll install the separate app.

I've been manually sending my wife :mediocre: since it was created.

Same. I would love if it had some streamlining but even still I text with it basically constantly.

• Locked thread