Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Speaking of Virginia's fine gifts to speculative politics, I remember reading somewhere (not sure where) both that Tim Kaine was a possibility AND that he would be from the "Elizabeth Warren Wing."

I mean, why are people throwing out his name in South Carolina?
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/23/politics/hamby-hillary-clinton-south-carolina-2016/

What is this even based on? Dude repealed the Estate Tax, the most progressive of taxes, and generally did nothing notable as governor. Is there some perspective non-Virginians have I don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Sadly, true blue awesome liberal politicians tend to be low key, and not charismatic enough to run on a national stage. The flashier types of Dems are almost always centrists.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

radical meme posted:

edit: I don't know that he deserves a better approval rating; but, I think we may look back on this presidency as either the beginning of the new normal of obstructionism or a golden age of mediocrity before the complete destruction of the middle class.
I'm not saying he deserves it either or whether history will shine kindly on him, just that parties don't often retain the White House when the President's approval rating is underwater (and very often they can lose it even if he is popular like Clinton).

America elected then re-elected George W. Bush not that long ago, your country is hosed if the Democrats don't nominate someone who can win.

De Nomolos posted:

What is this even based on? Dude repealed the Estate Tax, the most progressive of taxes, and generally did nothing notable as governor. Is there some perspective non-Virginians have I don't?
If he was going to run it would have to be from the left, whether or not it's a natural fit.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

#anyonebuthilary

I'm only half kidding and yeah, like I said - I don't think Petraeus has any designs on the presidency, but some important conservative people have wanted him to run. The sick part is that if someone does convince him it fits into the whole myth of 'reluctant hero' just like his so-called demotion to centcom after McChrystal got fired.

Have any "important conservative people" been talking up Petraeous as a Pres or VP candidate since he resigned the CIA position in disgrace over an adultery/fraternization scandal? And no, Bill Kristol trolling by talking him up as Hillary's VP doesn't count.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It should set off big alarm bells when third way-ers try to signal alignment with Warren.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Zwabu posted:

Have any "important conservative people" been talking up Petraeous as a Pres or VP candidate since he resigned the CIA position in disgrace over an adultery/fraternization scandal? And no, Bill Kristol trolling by talking him up as Hillary's VP doesn't count.

Ya got me on the first part. I was not aware of the second. Again, I don't think Petraeus would run, just that his name's been thrown around before and he would be a solid candidate for the R side. I'm sorry if anyone thought I implied anything different, but at least one famous conservative I can think of urged him to run in the past. Maybe he's just leery of the primary process, although lets be honest, any sane man would be leery about being in the Republican Primary. Which is why it's going to be so interesting.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The really fun part about the Petraeus infidelity scandal isn't who he cheated with, but who his wife is: the daughter of the commandant of West Point while he attended the Academy. You don't get to get to four stars without doing a lot of things right, but you have to know the right people to get the chance to do those things.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

Probably some old DNC buddies boosting his profile for whatever.

The only thing I can think of that he's notable for nationally is Jon Stewart busting his balls back in 2010.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DynamicSloth posted:

The Democrats are drat lucky to have a candidate poised to retain the White House after two terms with a President likely to close out with a 46% approval rating.

There is a hell of a lot of context you're ignoring there. But sure.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

SedanChair posted:

It should set off big alarm bells when third way-ers try to signal alignment with Warren.

In what way do you mean? Not saying you're exactly wrong, since I can see this comment angled in a few different directions, just want to know your rationale.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SedanChair posted:

Why? Third Way has no actual constituency. It shouldn't surprise anyone that they are trying to cozy up to someone like Warren who does have one. They already tried to attack her and came off looking like idiots.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 20, 2014

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Why? Third Way has no actual constituency. It shouldn't surprise anyone that they are trying to cozy up to someone like Warren who does have one. They already tried to attack her and came off looking like idiots.

Doesn't there have to be an actual left wing presence for third way-ism to be coherent? America doesn't have that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheBalor posted:

Doesn't there have to be an actual left wing presence for third way-ism to be coherent? America doesn't have that.

It's not really a question of coherency, I mean one of the two major parties is completely incoherent, they just have no constituency...

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TheBalor posted:

It's largely a strategy, not an ideology. As long as there is a perceived right-left (and I shouldn't have to tell you where the Overton Window sits in the US if you're American), there is a theoretical middle/third way.

The whole international concept comes from a much wider ideological gulf in the UK among Old Labor and Thatcherism, yes, but it can be applied to narrower situations. We just get a version between Reaganism and the New Dealers.

Triangulation happens.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Third way-ism doesn't need a large constituency, everyone who supports it works for Wall Street. For this reason, it will continue to obtain despite nobody knowing what it is or why it matters. You can call it "pro-business, pro-financialization triangulated centrism" if you like.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

skaboomizzy posted:

The really fun part about the Petraeus infidelity scandal isn't who he cheated with, but who his wife is: the daughter of the commandant of West Point while he attended the Academy. You don't get to get to four stars without doing a lot of things right, but you have to know the right people to get the chance to do those things.

Yeah, the good-old-boy network is very strong particularly at service academies. I was friends with a guy who got utterly hosed on honor charges (he went to the upperclassman-only bar to celebrate his 25th birthday while wearing an upperclassman uniform). His squad honor officer egged him on, gave him the uniform, openly lied about his role in the entire process, etc. Friend ended up marching tours for a year, the honor officer was convicted on honor charges but the commandant dismissed the case due to "totality of circumstances" (daddy was a two-star). And that's pretty normal.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 20, 2014

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

The biggest question on my mind right now is whether a certain political documentary will get updated for 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOYcM1z5fTs

google vince foster

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.
So I just put a library hold on Hillary's upcoming memoir, Hard Choices which chronicles her tenure as Secretary of State. Think this may get her more publicity + credibility in her (possible, I'd say probable based on what I've read here and elsewhere) run in 2016?

For that matter, on the memoir itself, what are your predictions on it? I'm hoping it's a substantive and insightful piece into the workings of the State Dept and a Presidential Administration, the way Kissinger's 1969-1973 memoir (White House Years) was. But who knows! Can't wait to read it, though.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Renzian posted:

So I just put a library hold on Hillary's upcoming memoir, Hard Choices which chronicles her tenure as Secretary of State. Think this may get her more publicity + credibility in her (possible, I'd say probable based on what I've read here and elsewhere) run in 2016?
Not really; people put holds on books all the time :v:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Renzian posted:

Hillary is already at the ceiling of public exposure and her approve/disapprove is as high as she's ever likely to get it, still it's smart to emphasize the SecState years since they're the best new line in her C.V. since the last time she ran.

More than any potential candidate in either party Hillary is dotting the i's and crossing the t's on the groundwork for a Presidential campaign, it's quite silly that we're pretending her run is a hypothetical.

Renzian posted:

For that matter, on the memoir itself, what are your predictions on it? I'm hoping it's a substantive and insightful piece into the workings of the State Dept and a Presidential Administration, the way Kissinger's 1969-1973 memoir (White House Years) was. But who knows! Can't wait to read it, though.
Thoroughly uncontroversial, with maybe a backhanded comment about people who opposed the Bin Laden raid if Clintonland is concerned about Biden running.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.

DynamicSloth posted:

Thoroughly uncontroversial, with maybe a backhanded comment about people who opposed the Bin Laden raid if Clintonland is concerned about Biden running.

Makes sense. I'd also throw in the memoir being written/slanted in such a way to make her come off as a major, pivotal figure in the successes of Obama's foreign policy, even if that's not exactly true the way she writes it. I predict this because a) most, if not all, political memoirs are slanted - either consciously or unconsciously - in a way to make the subject look good, and b) she'll want to play up her experience and successes as SecState, and make herself look as professionally awesome and qualified as possible when 2016 rolls around.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Renzian posted:

Its not going to be a substantive and insightful piece into the workings of the State Department and Obama administration. I like Hillary and even I can tell you that. I'd hope its a cut above the typical ghost-written bullshit bios but view it primarily as a way to boost her campaign, so expect it to be scrubbed of any mistakes or errors (or, really, controversy of most any kind.)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Cliff Racer posted:

Its not going to be a substantive and insightful piece into the workings of the State Department and Obama administration. I like Hillary and even I can tell you that. I'd hope its a cut above the typical ghost-written bullshit bios but view it primarily as a way to boost her campaign, so expect it to be scrubbed of any mistakes or errors (or, really, controversy of most any kind.)

Ya, save your money and just wait for her stump speech. It will end up being more substantive.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya, save your money and just wait for her stump speech. It will end up being more substantive.

Christ I'm really looking forward to that jingoistic, deliberately paced pablum.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

ufarn posted:

Another contender has joined the game: James Webb.

I remember he was trying to do a prison reform bill after Obama was elected that obviously didn't pass. Did anyone follow it more closely and know why it didn't pass? Seems like there was an excess of political capital around then and something that democrats would be keen on getting done.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

AllanGordon posted:

I remember he was trying to do a prison reform bill after Obama was elected that obviously didn't pass. Did anyone follow it more closely and know why it didn't pass? Seems like there was an excess of political capital around then and something that democrats would be keen on getting done.

Obama spent it all on the ACA and by the time it could have gotten a good focus, the senate wasn't filibuster-proof anymore and McConnell was stopping everything so that Obama couldn't Su his bills were "bipartisan."

He was also a one-man diplomatic machine in SE Asia, getting political prisoners released.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Guess who's running.

quote:

The Des Moines Register has learned that Mitt Romney will be in Iowa next week to stump for GOP U.S. Senate candidate Joni Ernst.

The five-way GOP race for Iowa's rare open U.S. Senate seat is down to Joni Ernst, a hog-castrating, Harley-riding combat veteran, versus Mark Jacobs, a millionaire retired investment banker and energy industry CEO, several polls have shown.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

De Nomolos posted:

Obama spent it all on the ACA and by the time it could have gotten a good focus, the senate wasn't filibuster-proof anymore and McConnell was stopping everything so that Obama couldn't Su his bills were "bipartisan."

He was also a one-man diplomatic machine in SE Asia, getting political prisoners released.

Obama has never really made criminal justice reform a priority. I mean Holder started talking about it more in public last year and they have made some good executive orders on the issue but they haven't really proposed anything sweeping.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Obama has never really made criminal justice reform a priority. I mean Holder started talking about it more in public last year and they have made some good executive orders on the issue but they haven't really proposed anything sweeping.

Pretty easy to get labeled "soft on crime" being public about criminal justice reform.

Honestly these slow quiet reforms are the best you can hope for. If you do it slowly and quietly enough you can make big enough changes without turning the voting public against you.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

Pretty easy to get labeled "soft on crime" being public about criminal justice reform.

Honestly these slow quiet reforms are the best you can hope for. If you do it slowly and quietly enough you can make big enough changes without turning the voting public against you.

It's going to take a republican president to do any real criminal justice reform. Democrats are still scared of their own shadow on this issue.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Wouldn't a republican president's criminal justice reform just be that we feed executed inmates to the general jail population/school children?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

OneTwentySix posted:

Wouldn't a republican president's criminal justice reform just be that we feed executed inmates to the general jail population/school children?

I think if you asked most Republican governors (aside from Jan Brewer and her types, who wouldn't run for President anyway) they see first hand what mandatory minimums and a growing incarceration rate does to the state budget and realizes that what you got for it isn't productive to public safety.

Senators on the other hand don't need to worry about actually running the jails so they could care less.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Increased Death Penalties!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

OneTwentySix posted:

Rand Paul actually said some pretty good things on CJ reform not that he has a chance in hell of being elected president or that he other horrible policies don't outweigh his good ones a thousand times over.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

mcmagic posted:

Rand Paul actually said some pretty good things on CJ reform not that he has a chance in hell of being elected president or that he other horrible policies don't outweigh his good ones a thousand times over.

Are we even sure his CJ reform policies didn't have some horrible caveat like the rest of his seemingly decent ideas do

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I think the talk this year about Drug War policy, the clemency move, and the entry of Jim Webb into debate signals that this will be a planned, strong Democratic Primary issue in 2016.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Cincinnati and Las Vegas withdrew their bids for the 2016 RNC today over issues securing the venue, leaving just Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, and Kansas City in the running.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Taerkar posted:

Increased Death Penalties!
Pretty much. A lot of my politically-independent family members are all gung-ho right now about reducing the appeals process in California to speed up executions.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Joementum posted:

Cincinnati and Las Vegas withdrew their bids for the 2016 RNC today over issues securing the venue, leaving just Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, and Kansas City in the running.

What's the matter with Kansas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Pinterest Mom posted:

Guess who's running.

The five-way GOP race for Iowa's rare open U.S. Senate seat is down to Joni Ernst, a hog-castrating, Harley-riding combat veteran, versus Mark Jacobs, a millionaire retired investment banker and energy industry CEO, several polls have shown.

This is cute, one person is who the GOP pretends it cares about and the other is who they actually care about.

• Locked thread