Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I had a fort running on fruit and literally no other food besides incidental gains from trade and beast-murdering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outcast Spy
May 7, 2007

How could you be both?

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone know why I can't get the workflow front end to pop up in the latest LNP? It says the hotkey is alt+w but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I think you have to use the hotkey from the Z menu.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

steinrokkan posted:

The last version I've played was before fruit collection was implemented. In the past, my main issue with DF was that any fortress I made would just overflow with food and booze. Has fruit made my bane even worse, or is it just a marginal addition to the economy?

You can use dfhack plugins to set levels of food and booze and it'll autoqeue them when you run low. That way you're not wasting time making ***Hot Pocket Roasts***

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spanish Matlock posted:

***Hot Pocket Roasts***

Of course it exists. :psydwarf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4zxzQbzvkk

Would wouldn't it exist? :shepface:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, a hot pocket is just a tube of bread with (theoretically) really benign poo poo stuffed into it, food-wise. it's not too surprising that someone would make a horrendous casserole out of it given that you can make a casserole out of anything.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

edit: wrong thread dumb

PTSDeedly Do fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 21, 2014

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

bensnotacat posted:

korea chat better than twitch chat

Oh, word?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as someone who plays dota i can attest to this

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Lowen posted:

I've had one mood work but it only needed a few items.

Then I had another mood that needs a bunch of items, he's gathered 4 of them and is just kind of waiting. I think he would have gathered everything or snapped by now if things were working, yeah.
Ok, I've found out what's happening and found the matching bug in the tracker. It's to do with grabbing multiple of the same object for a reaction. You can't make pig iron for the same reason. The dwarf tries to grab the nearest applicable reagent so he grabs the material he just delivered and delivers it over and over and over again in the case of a mood. In other stuff it is just "job item lost or destroyed spam" because he nicked his own stuff and is trying to perform a reaction without all the components.

You can sort of get around this for moods by forbidding the stuff in the workshop once he brings it so he fetches more, then reallowing them all (I also had to forbid/unforbid the workshop). I saved two dwarfs that way.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Outcast Spy posted:

I think you have to use the hotkey from the Z menu.

Thank you this was it and I am dumb.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
:siren: 0.40.22 :siren:

quote:

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Major bug fixes
(*) Multi-item jobs like artifact moods, forging breastplates and smelting pig iron should work now

Other bug fixes/tweaks
(*) Made toggle marker behave like toggle engraving mouse-wise

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Toady is really impressing me with how quickly he is putting out bug fixes these days. How did he go from no releases in two years to a release every couple of days or weeks?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

Toady is really impressing me with how quickly he is putting out bug fixes these days. How did he go from no releases in two years to a release every couple of days or weeks?

He does this. It's a cycle of one long development with big, sweeping underlying changes where he tries to tackle everything remotely connected to what he's doing, then once that's done he does a bunch of tweak updates with bug fixes and the occasional major gameplay overhaul that turned out to be relatively simple.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, he just has lots of interesting low-hanging fruit to pluck right now. When he runs out of those and the steam to do essential-but-boring refurbishment work in between them, he'll go back to sharpening the big scythe again.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the fact that he could just spit out a job priority patch in a couple of weeks, which is a thing modders have been trying to independently do for years, just floors me. I suppose on the one hand I have to begrudgingly respect him for focusing on doing the game his way without compromising his vision of what Dwarf Fortress should be just to appease the players, but goddamn it sometimes feels like he read a passage from The Fountainhead and decided to just never do anything that makes sense on principle.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I have an easy explanation for Toady's work.
He started doing crack.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nietzschean posted:

Yeah the fact that he could just spit out a job priority patch in a couple of weeks, which is a thing modders have been trying to independently do for years, just floors me. I suppose on the one hand I have to begrudgingly respect him for focusing on doing the game his way without compromising his vision of what Dwarf Fortress should be just to appease the players, but goddamn it sometimes feels like he read a passage from The Fountainhead and decided to just never do anything that makes sense on principle.

Nah it makes perfect sense. Programming are like an iceberg. The visible part is tiny compared to the foundation. He spent months chipping away at the foundation without much to show for it, except he can now slam out a shitton of major changes because the underlying support is there.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

While that'd make sense in the real world, in Toady's elemental plane of beard it really is more like "hey guys I got around to doing this neat thing today."

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scamtank posted:

While that'd make sense in the real world, in Toady's elemental plane of beard it really is more like "hey guys I got around to doing this neat thing today."

Ah yes, the Elemental Plane of Beard, where rivers flow with Mountain Dew and the trees spontaneously combust into clouds of Doritos.

e:

I almost missed this gem,

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

A hot pocket is just a tube of bread with (theoretically [citation needed]) really benign poo poo stuffed into it.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Kyte posted:

Nah it makes perfect sense. Programming are like an iceberg. The visible part is tiny compared to the foundation. He spent months chipping away at the foundation without much to show for it, except he can now slam out a shitton of major changes because the underlying support is there.

Especially with a game as complex, enormous, and long-running as DF, taking the long route and doing things properly is definitely the correct approach.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
What if he's had all this poo poo working for a year and he's just flipping it on feature by feature just for fun

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

ghetto wormhole posted:

What if he's had all this poo poo working for a year and he's just flipping it on feature by feature just for fun

DF has been finished since 2004 and he's just been slowly commenting in lines of code to drive grognards crazy.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

DF has been finished since 2004 and he's just been slowly commenting in lines of code to drive grognards crazy.

Toady actually has a business degree from the EA School of Dickishness, and determined this was the best way to squeeze money and tears from the neckbeard gaming underclass.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Toady is actually Andy Kaufman and Tarn Adams/Dwarf Fortress is his greatest piece.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Toady actually has a business degree from the EA School of Dickishness, and determined this was the best way to squeeze money and tears from the neckbeard gaming underclass.

You know that would be funny if that was remotely accurate.

If his degree was from EA every patch would be DLC.

And every labor.

And the ability to not die of infection.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 22, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

scamtank posted:

Yeah, he just has lots of interesting low-hanging fruit to pluck right now.

And when the low hanging fruit is not enough, he impliments stepladders.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any reason why a graphics set that works for 40.21 would not work with 40.22? I am looking a Phoebus specifically.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

The last version I've played was before fruit collection was implemented. In the past, my main issue with DF was that any fortress I made would just overflow with food and booze. Has fruit made my bane even worse, or is it just a marginal addition to the economy?

:negative:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And you cannot possibly sell enough of it (unless you just give it away at vastly disproportionate rates).

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
try modding dwarves to be carnivores, it adds a bit more challenge to not starving to death horribly

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
EA Dwarf Fortress ships with minecarts

Tracks and stops are DLC

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

try modding dwarves to be carnivores, it adds a bit more challenge to not starving to death horribly

Have you tried masterwork kobold fortress?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

Is there any reason why a graphics set that works for 40.21 would not work with 40.22? I am looking a Phoebus specifically.

User error. The only files that got changed were the executable and changelogs. Nothing else.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

Have you tried masterwork kobold fortress?

I played the non-masterwork version of it a long time ago. I have downloaded masterwork but I never really felt compelled to play it, for whatever reason. Probably because I'm a dumb grognard about things and see tilesets and dfhack as tools of the weak.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scamtank posted:

User error. The only files that got changed were the executable and changelogs. Nothing else.

Cool, didn't want to try it if doing so would mess things up. I just got it installed and it works, though I have the common issue where punctuation marks in text look like ingots and barrels and stuff. I recall there was some mod or modpack that fixed that in DF2012, does such a thing still exist?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

Cool, didn't want to try it if doing so would mess things up. I just got it installed and it works, though I have the common issue where punctuation marks in text look like ingots and barrels and stuff. I recall there was some mod or modpack that fixed that in DF2012, does such a thing still exist?

That's just poor design. The symbols that you use in-game for ingots and stuff still are used as letters and symbols in the text screens that don't support TrueType, with no way to change them. Some try to go half-way with hieroglyphs that you can still sorta recognize as letters in the mix, but some are just sloppy. The punctuation marks in Phoebus being grass tufts or other ground textures is one good example.

Text Will Be Text was the DFHack thingy that obsoleted TrueType, letting you use one tileset for the playing field and some other for all the common text.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scamtank posted:

Text Will Be Text was the DFHack thingy that obsoleted TrueType, letting you use one tileset for the playing field and some other for all the common text.

Was?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Neither it or DFHack is wise to version .22 yet.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp. It's not off-putting enough to avoid using the graphics set. I can wait.

Meanwhile, I just spent the past hour and a half fiddling with my embark profile and still probably mucked it up somehow. What do the cyan and yellow bits in the thoughts and description page do? Are personality traits still relevant to what skills a dwarf can learn?

I kind of want to talk peoples' ears off about embark profiles, but I should probably take that discussion to bay12 for all the :spergin: it would produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Nietzschean posted:

Welp. It's not off-putting enough to avoid using the graphics set. I can wait.

Meanwhile, I just spent the past hour and a half fiddling with my embark profile and still probably mucked it up somehow. What do the cyan and yellow bits in the thoughts and description page do? Are personality traits still relevant to what skills a dwarf can learn?

I kind of want to talk peoples' ears off about embark profiles, but I should probably take that discussion to bay12 for all the :spergin: it would produce.

I would like to learn about embark profiles. :v:

Fisherdwarf survived two goblin sieges, but he had to come inside to do so. Perfect streak is over. Also had a second were-gila monster disappear up into the trees and never return. :iiam: I also learned that domesticated fowl will now fly up into trees and hide. Archers, however, can still see them, so my trees are littered with avian bones.

I am currently mystified by how my dwarves never seem to use stepladders to harvest anything from trees. And I guess walnuts and ginko seeds are not food items? What I'm mostly irritated by is the total lack of almonds in my food stockpiles. I need masterwork almond roasts.