Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Gaim was kind of the same way. Even though I loved most of it myself, there's still a good bit of tonal inconsistency when the morally ambiguous rival guy has shoulder pads shaped like a banana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I caught up on Kyuranger, can we all take a second to appreciate Raptor's suit actor?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Caphi posted:

I caught up on Kyuranger, can we all take a second to appreciate Raptor's suit actor?

Most, if not all, of the suit actor characters are better than the non-suit actor cast members. Except Naga and maybe Stinger.

Edit: Her suit actor also did suit work for Sela (including unmorphed scenes with the shark mask), ShiroNinger and ToQ 3
Double Edit: The suit actress is also almost 40.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 1, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Broken Loose posted:

I wish these belts existed so bad

I made more dumb powerup lines earlier in the thread. Those two were made by scanning my Twitter feed for words and phrases.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The only Rider series I can think of that didn't really have anything (intentionally) goofy in it is Faiz, it had a few unintentional goofy things like one of the villains killing a busload of people to Busta Rhymes.

I would also say Blade but I'm sure I'm forgetting some one-off episode with goofy stuff in it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm pretty sure Kabuto was the last rider series with a non-goofy belt. It talked, but it was very utilitarian robot voice announcements for functions. Den-O and Fourze didn't have belts that were inherently goofy from a design standpoint, but they became goofy through context. W was almost not goofy, but the Memories exuberantly shouting their names when you press the button shot it back up there.

OOO and, somehow, Wizard, are runners up here. OOO would have been a pretty straight "weird mystical relic" if it didn't sing little songs about the form it was switching to, and Wizard's belt narrowly shifted into the goof spectrum by having a little hand that he has to high-five with his ring instead of just like a magical glyph on the buckle (I actually did appreciate the dichotomy between Wizard's "Please" belt and White Wizard's "NOW" belt). Also, Kiva's belt was goofy, but IXA's belt was pretty serious.

Also, this isn't a condemnation of goofy belts. I like most of the goofy belt shows a lot. It's just kinda my casual observation that "serious" gimmicks ended with Kabuto.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I finished ExAid 5-7 last night. Is Emu like this the whole series? He's a pediatrician, there's no way anyone gets through medical school THAT naive.

Is this an act? Does he get better? Or am I in for Doctor Kouta McEiji?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dan and Kiriya were in top form this week.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

I finished ExAid 5-7 last night. Is Emu like this the whole series? He's a pediatrician, there's no way anyone gets through medical school THAT naive.

What you're seeing is fundamentally his character, but they start utilizing him (and the rest of the cast, for that matter) better after the first chunk of episodes. I though he was a limp noodle for a while too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Give him time. The series starts very goofy, and the characters are treated with the same amount of seriousness; once it gets serious, the characters are treated with a bit more respect, Emu included. He gets better.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

All the interesting things happen around him, got it.

Man, I miss when KR protags were interesting. :(

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Please tell me when that happened, because I genuinely can't remember it.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

PMush Perfect posted:

Ahh yes, my favorite interesting kamen rider was

and also

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Okay, let me tell you a tale of Kamen Rider 1971 and the beautiful man known as Hongo

Real talk, you'd think that the original Rider wouldn't have much personality beyond FIGHTER FOR JUSTICE and what not

Like the original Ultraman...okay the original HOST, Hayato, doesn't have much of any personality. The original Ultraman did but that's neither here nor there.

But you'd be off. Ichimonji, Kamen Rider Niigo, is kind of completely banal and middle of the road. Meanwhile, Hongo?

Hongo is the biggest goddamn troll in the world. Any time he can, he WILL, troll Shocker as hard as he can. It's basically his whole entire MO. Can I gently caress with these chucklefucks today? Let's do it then

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I love it when you post about old Toku, Burk. :allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kuuga.

Watch a good man get destroyed in the course of justice. It's heartbreaking and wonderful to watch.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Not to get sidetracked here, but... "Niigo"?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/892494676778811392

Ex-Aid is a good and powerful show

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caphi posted:

Not to get sidetracked here, but... "Niigo"?

Kamen Rider #2, the one that took over as the main rider of the previous series after the actor who played Hongo had to leave the show after injuring himself during a stunt. Once the original returned later in the series the second Rider stayed on and fought alongside him from then on. You could technically call him the first Secondary Rider of the franchise (and pretty much the only one in the Showa Era aside from Riderman and Tackle). The first two Riders are more commonly referred to in the fanbase by their Japanese designations Ichigo (One) and Nigo(Two).

Back on the subject, Jo Shigeru (Stronger) had some personality to him as well, and of course there's also Gentaro (Fourze). If you want to bring Secondary Riders into this then Birth, Beast, and Mach can go on that list as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 2, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

PMush Perfect posted:

This show handles it's cast extremely well actually but the first 12 episodes are a slightly different show

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nigo was also where several Rider hallmarks made their first appearance. Since they didn't want to risk their main actor getting indisposed again, they started using suit actors for stunt filming. Additionally, Ichigo originally transformed by driving his motorcycle really fast and activating his driver through wind. Since the actor who played Nigo did not have a motorcycle license, they had to come up with another visually interesting way to transform, and as such, the henshin pose was born.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Larryb posted:

Kamen Rider #2, the one that took over as the main rider of the previous series after the actor who played Hongo had to leave the show after injuring himself during a stunt. Once the original returned later in the series the second Rider stayed on and fought alongside him from then on. You could technically call him the first Secondary Rider of the franchise (and pretty much the only one in the Showa Era aside from Riderman and Tackle). The first two Riders are more commonly referred to in the fanbase by their Japanese designations Ichigo (One) and Nigo(Two).

Back on the subject, Jo Shigeru (Stronger) had some personality to him as well, and of course there's also Gentaro (Fourze). If you want to bring Secondary Riders into this then Birth, Beast, and Mach can go on that list as well.

I gather, I'm just questioning the spelling (the double i specifically).

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

PMush Perfect posted:

Emu actually gets super interesting if you stick with it. There's a lot of stuff about how he changes thanks to others around him, and it's not always for the better; the show wants you, and the children it was made for, to empathize with Emu; the inexperienced intern whose got these aggressive, strange, and sometimes hostile mentors that he still needs to look up to because they can teach him a lot, even the ones that hate his guts or aren't really acting like 'mentors'.

The show also spends time focusing on how Emu changes those mentors for the better as well, which can be interesting to look at as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I meant Gentaro and Phillip + Shotaro but old toku is good too.

Edit: Basically everyone in OOO except Eiji and Strong Girl were interesting, which makes it extra glaring.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caphi posted:

I gather, I'm just questioning the spelling (the double i specifically).

Oh, that one was probably just a typo then.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Emu and Takeru remind me a lot of each other in that they don't have a ton going for them. They're just kinda... good natured nerdy losers. Takeru has hero worship and Emu has medicine. Every single other Rider is more interesting in both shows.

I really hope Build is among the top 5 most interesting characters in his own show.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
if build drinks musclemilk to transform i want his secondary to snort bath salts

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Except Emu has suffered a lot, has had to take charge and make plans, and has shown skills in manipulating others to get a good outcome. Like I'm not sure how if you've seen episodes 39 and 40 you can say Emu is completely boring.

Takeru was just "nice", never thought too hard about anything and the entire world just bent to get him his way and things always worked out for him and everyone loves him. Like when he killed that monster that was that girl's dad - but that ended up doing nothing but setting things out right anyway and the entire two parter was loving pointless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I liked Kuuga and W's protagonists quite a bit and thought Gentaro was the best part of his show.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'll admit Emu has grown up a bit, but that's more "being less of a dipshit" and not so much "becoming interesting"

Like, Parad becomes interesting when you learn his core motivation and see how that changes later, Snipe becomes interesting (thanks to Nico putting a lampshade on his incredibly silly unconvincing badass act) , even Hiiro has his little moral quandry that he has to overcome, and seeing exactly where Kuroto's priorities lie is always fun, but Emu...

Gotta save them patients, I guess. It'd maybe feel less dull to me if he had an interesting relationship with any of the other characters than "That's the protagonist, so he's always involved in one important way or another"

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I feel like people try too hard to stick to their initial assessment of Emu when the show started without noticing that his character has grown, has repeatedly engaged with in both positive and negative ways with lots of the characters, and ultimately has come out of it with some incredibly great scenes.
He's loving great, his entire scene with Parad on the rooftop was amazing right down to him talking about having to live with the game disease as a part of himself. His sequences with Hiiro have always been amazing and both characters have grown as a result. Same with pretty much everyone else. He actually deserves to be the protagonist unlike Takeru, who used to just loving walk off in the middle of everything to go look contemplative and help out someone's random problem.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'll admit Emu has grown up a bit, but that's more "being less of a dipshit" and not so much "becoming interesting"

Like, Parad becomes interesting when you learn his core motivation and see how that changes later, Snipe becomes interesting (thanks to Nico putting a lampshade on his incredibly silly unconvincing badass act) , even Hiiro has his little moral quandry that he has to overcome, and seeing exactly where Kuroto's priorities lie is always fun, but Emu...

Gotta save them patients, I guess. It'd maybe feel less dull to me if he had an interesting relationship with any of the other characters than "That's the protagonist, so he's always involved in one important way or another"

Emu has his teeth-clenched teamwork with Kuroto and his clashing and ultimate saving of Parad in a very violent, emotionally-manipulative way that genuinely felt like Emu was the villain instead of the other way around. His relationships with those two alone make him far more interesting than several previous bland as poo poo characters (Kouta, Takeru), and how he might have genuinely become a worse person as the series went on (his ideals remain firm, but he's become far more willing to get violent and leave his emotions behind for those, to the point that he genuinely took Hiiro's "don't get emotionally involved" philosophy as his own at one point) is an interesting development course that nearly no series takes, and it shows a lot about Ex-Aid's writing that it's willing to say "pragmatism may be more important than just being a naive, good person" when this is still a show for little children.

His other relationships are somewhat more standard, but have high points themselves, such as himself and Hiiro ultimately learning from each other (Hiiro having the standard "becomes more emotional and open to others" development, Emu going the exact opposite way) and proving how much they've affected each other after Hiiro joins Masamune; or how he pushed Poppy into accepting how she had become different from the other Bugsters by pushing her into shooting him.

Honestly, Emu is not the greatest character in his show (protagonists nearly never are, and honestly, it's hard to be when motherfucking Shin Dan "Dangerous Zombie/The Man" Kuroto exists in your series) but he's one of the better primary Riders we've had. Again, he gets a lot of points from me entirely because the series is willing to have Emu become a less heroic individual for the sake of saving others, which I find unthinkable in most shows. He's not a plain sugar donut.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

BUILD SPOILERS AHEAD

https://twitter.com/kYouTkaRciHb1a2/status/892605458409598980

https://twitter.com/SpecialForm12/status/892609821647622145

https://twitter.com/SunglassPri/status/892605877454340096

e: More stuff

https://twitter.com/orewa_crazy/status/892606459321606144

https://twitter.com/fuka_surge6/status/892610113554456576

e: added spoiler tags, sorry if anyone got dinged

e2: wtf, spoiler tags don't work on twitter embeds?

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 2, 2017

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Glad to see the evil organization is element is back, although it seems like it might be feuding organizations and the trouble they cause, instead

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I thought Hayato was pretty fun from what I watched of KIT's releases of Rider '71. Maybe stuff changes over the course of that show's ton of episodes, but he's definitely a bit more outgoing and less moody than Hongo, though that could partially be the show lightening up a bit after the first chunk of episodes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh my God, that's a plastic models thing too

Jesus loving Christ, this show is either going to be amazing or an amazing trainwreck.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh my God, that's a plastic models thing too

Jesus loving Christ, this show is either going to be amazing or an amazing trainwreck.

MORE BUILD SPOILERS

https://twitter.com/SpecialForm12/status/892608589709299713

it's going to be GREAT

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe now I can get someone to watch Gundam Build Fighters!

:negative: I'll never get anyone to watch Gundam Build Fighters.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Maybe now I can get someone to watch Gundam Build Fighters!

:negative: I'll never get anyone to watch Gundam Build Fighters.

Sorry, I need anti-war messages with my giant robots :v:

Also Build fanart already delivering:

https://twitter.com/T_pr551/status/892612699195965440

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GBF has a message! It's "you can enjoy childish things as an adult without being a horrendous self-important tool about it". So, the moral Gundam fans need the most and that none of them got.

• Locked thread