Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

To make the Cold War work you basically have to be constantly ambushing people, which means super-high mobility and super high accuracy. I tried to make it work with Holo Pilot (the thinking was that the Holo distraction would give me the time I needed to charge and fire) and it just doesn't work. The burst is very temperamental and takes a moment to come out, and that combined with the relatively small splash damage and the wind-up makes the gun extremely difficult to work with and almost requires Stim or Phase Shift.
The Cold War seems to be built for supporting fire, which because it's a multiplayer FPS, basically just means kill stealing from people who are already in a gunfight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
https://gfycat.com/TangibleInbornAmericanlobster

:allears:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Skyscraper posted:

The Cold War seems to be built for supporting fire, which because it's a multiplayer FPS, basically just means kill stealing from people who are already in a gunfight.

Yeah, you nailed it. There's no meaningful general fire support in a game with as much mobility and low TTKs as Titanfall 2. (you can actually use the Softball to suppress people at Hardpoint B on Firebase Kodai, but that's a limited case)

Also you would think a fire support gun could shoot more than 3 bursts (4 w/mod) before going into a painfully long reload but alas...

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah, you nailed it. There's no meaningful general fire support in a game with as much mobility and low TTKs as Titanfall 2. (you can actually use the Softball to suppress people at Hardpoint B on Firebase Kodai, but that's a limited case)

Also you would think a fire support gun could shoot more than 3 bursts (4 w/mod) before going into a painfully long reload but alas...

I've had situations where all four grenades hit someone and didn't kill them, and then they killed me with one burst from the Hemlock to the ankles. So yeah it's pretty iffy. Grows a lot better once you've got extended mag and quick reload unlocked, but even then it's reload rivals that of the titan weapons.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Titanfall kills are the best :allears:

I haven't tried it in this one yet but I had so much fun in T1 with Warpfall and baiting Titans. Only problem with it is that you lose your dome shield completely, which means you've got at the very least the 3-4 seconds it takes for the "get into Titan and take control" animation to play out where you're completely unprotected and defenseless.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

They should change the name to Hot War and make the explosions little thermite bursts. It's made by Vinson Dynamics, who already makes Scorch's T-203 Thermite Launcher. You'll still get dunked on at close range but at least it'll be good for suppression and area denial.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It bothers me a little that they couldn't be arsed to record more than 1 line of dialogue for the pre-match drop for each faction. Even the mid/endgame comments are recycled and get old super fast. It gets to the point where I switch factions more for a change of dialogue than any other reason.

Also, are alternate Titan voices only for Prime Titans in this game?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Magnus Condomus posted:

I've had situations where all four grenades hit someone and didn't kill them, and then they killed me with one burst from the Hemlock to the ankles. So yeah it's pretty iffy. Grows a lot better once you've got extended mag and quick reload unlocked, but even then it's reload rivals that of the titan weapons.

The deal is, though, you need the Extended Ammo and the Quick Reload mod to make the gun even vaguely decent.

Again, I love the Cold War but it's so crazily limited in so many fundamental ways and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Like you said: sometimes you hit people dead on and they live. It's so drat finicky.

Skyscraper posted:

They should change the name to Hot War and make the explosions little thermite bursts. It's made by Vinson Dynamics, who already makes Scorch's T-203 Thermite Launcher. You'll still get dunked on at close range but at least it'll be good for suppression and area denial.

I'm down.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Using ADS with Mastiff closes the spread on the projectiles, does ADS do something similar for the EVA? Also, what's the best setup for anti titan with a primary? I've found SMR with A Wall shreds them pretty well.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That Gobbo posted:

Using ADS with Mastiff closes the spread on the projectiles, does ADS do something similar for the EVA? Also, what's the best setup for anti titan with a primary? I've found SMR with A Wall shreds them pretty well.

Be sure to use Arc Grenades or Electric Smoke for maximum "opponent flailing around in circles" fun

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Amped SMR absolutely eats Titans alive. I feel like it's 90% of an Amped MGL damage with double the threat range.

Hell, combine it with a Wingman Elite and you have a pretty decent all-ranges Pilot IMO.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

It bothers me a little that they couldn't be arsed to record more than 1 line of dialogue for the pre-match drop for each faction. Even the mid/endgame comments are recycled and get old super fast. It gets to the point where I switch factions more for a change of dialogue than any other reason.

And so optimistic! You're down by 150 and she's still saying ”We can still turn it around!”

And that one guy who makes me wonder if he ever says anything in his life without referencing booze. We get it, you drink. "First we fight, then we drink!” he says as he's drinking.

Is it pessimistic of me that, playing on PC, I haven't even touched the single player because I'm saving it for six months from now when the multiplayer is dead? Already there are only a few hundred people on my hub even in Attrition in the evening. That doesn't necessarily bother me, though. I played Battlefield BC2 Vietnam into this year when the servers finally started loving up and the few dozen people who still played it finally moved on.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 21, 2016

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

It's actually really interesting how encouraging all of the NPC shouts are in this game, including in the campaign. Almost everyone, including enemies, tell you how cool and good you are, which isn't something I've really seen before from a design standpoint. I wonder if it was a conscious decision from the design team.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Magnus Condomus posted:

It's actually really interesting how encouraging all of the NPC shouts are in this game, including in the campaign. Almost everyone, including enemies, tell you how cool and good you are, which isn't something I've really seen before from a design standpoint. I wonder if it was a conscious decision from the design team.

It absolutely is. They NEVER tell you a Pilot is dominating you, only that you are dominating them. And if you beat the Pilot dominating you they say something nice like "That's how you settle the score" or "Great job taking that Pilot down" or whatever.

They are relentlessly positive, with the "evil Factions" being the only ones who gets anywhere near negative (but is "come on, I know you can beat these guys, step it up!" really that negative?)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Please watch your flanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtE7Q-_2Rdk

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

welp, that answers my question of "how do people end up with a Titan less than 30 seconds into a match" :v: :eng101:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Magnus Condomus posted:

I like it, it was awesome hearing all the soldiers freak out about my "advanced stealth kit" during effect and cause. "Where is he? WHERE IS HE?"

Is also nice that the grunts are always happy to see you :3:

Kelp Me! posted:

welp, that answers my question of "how do people end up with a Titan less than 30 seconds into a match" :v: :eng101:

...alright, so ill finally be trying out this stim thingy

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 21, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Funkameleon posted:

While I really like bounty hunt I wish they had more banks, and that 2 would randomly open after each wave. Having a mad scramble for it rather than just getting there early would be better

This would indeed make the mode better.

Also, is there any particular reason why they can't add bots to Amped Hardpoint?

Eldragon posted:

So I decided to play with a new Gimmick. Northstar with Extra eSmoke and the Threat Optics. Encounter an enemy, pop smoke and shoot through the smoke to hit the other guy with impunity. A surprisingly large number of players just stand there and take it. Pretty useful because NStar needs to charge it's rifle.

I'll try this, thanks.

This is a pro click. I like that you don't waste your stim at the start.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I just noticed in that video that you made 2 people ragequit :golfclap:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Kelp Me! posted:

Also I just noticed in that video that you made 2 people ragequit :golfclap:

Just FYI, we still lost. :suicide:

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Ularg posted:

Just FYI, we still lost. :suicide:

You need to go even faster

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
https://twitter.com/Titanfallgame/status/811632365231554562

Double XP and fresh new blood this weekend. :getin:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Try to be nice. Goof off a little. You don't want to clown people so hard they don't have fun and leave forever.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Spending Christmas playing videogames is pretty sad

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Inspector Hound posted:

I like it, it was awesome hearing all the soldiers freak out about my "advanced stealth kit" during effect and cause. "Where is he? WHERE IS HE?"

Hell yeah.

Apparently that scene in X-Men 2 where Nightcrawler fucks those dudes up in the white house was a big inspiration for that level. More games need to to straight up give you mobility powers ripped from super hero flicks, like say a way to swing from buildings like Spider-Man.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Stan Taylor posted:

Apparently that scene in X-Men 2 where Nightcrawler fucks those dudes up in the white house was a big inspiration for that level. More games need to to straight up give you mobility powers ripped from super hero flicks, like say a way to swing from buildings like Spider-Man.

Bud, I have great news: Spider-Man 2 is over 10 years old and it's EXTREMELY your jam. I'm honestly jealous if you've never played it.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Try to be nice. Goof off a little. You don't want to clown people so hard they don't have fun and leave forever.

Im going to use the Mastiff. :3

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Splode posted:

Spending Christmas playing videogames is pretty sad

but i thought you were going away for christmas?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Bud, I have great news: Spider-Man 2 is over 10 years old and it's EXTREMELY your jam. I'm honestly jealous if you've never played it.

:respek:
Played the hell out of that when it came out. Was referring to the grappling hooks in TF2. I was so bummed when I first played overwatch and used Widowmakers weak rear end grapple.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My family did Xmas last week so I'm looking forward to a four day weekend of doing absolutely nothing but video games and drinking beer in my pajamas.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit oh and to preface this is if you still haven't gotten the ion skin or execution, not for double xp because it's a waste for solely that

Still got some dewitos codes before I give them away to randoms

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 22, 2016

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I'll take one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Oh, why the hell not. :)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh and to preface this is if you still haven't gotten the ion skin or execution, not for double xp because it's a waste for solely that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'll take one if you have any left!

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I'll take one too. Ion is the only titan that I regened.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

FYI skin doesn't work with prime titan I hope they patch it :(

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

edit: stupid injoke from other thread by mistake.

hey what's the best way to play ronin? every so often someone seems to carry the team entirely with one of those things, but i can never figure it out really.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 22, 2016

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

hey what's the best way to play ronin? every so often someone seems to carry the team entirely with one of those things, but i can never figure it out really.

A well played Ronin can splash a lot of damage across multiple titans and also jet around to flank and get the last few hits to take the kill.

Basically I boost in, dump two electro swings, unload shotgun, maybe melee a few times and then boost or phase out and run around to the other side of the map to flank again and let the team do some damage. Then when doomed I try to throw my body across as many of them as I can or sneak behind a group and nuke eject.

You'll basically almost always want to have some sort of fire support with you. Ronin can sometimes win 1v1, but against a group you'll need backup to draw fire.

Magnus Condomus fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

alf_pogs posted:

make the most of your superior mobility and ability to stun/slow enemy titans with q (and take out tones shield) to harass constantly without getting into any drawn out fights. sword core makes you pretty much anyone but scorch's nightmare because not only does it drastically boost your sword damage but it heavily reduces your cooldowns (including dash). remember that the sword swing travels in a big arc - i've managed to hit 3 pilots at once with it because they were all in my field of view and i think a lot of pilots dont actively remember that it can hit such an area - it also feels like it has longer range than the punch but that might just be me imagining things