Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Cora looks fine. They all look fine. But Asari Lennox looks loving stupid. I really really hope you can avoid her.

Also, why no boy ryder in the funco line? That's a bit odd.

"One more pass on that Sara Ryder model guys?"

"Nah, we're good, got it in one."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

He was talking about a race of slavers and all-around scumbags.

Seriously, is there even one redeeming Batarian in the whole series?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

The Unnamed One posted:

Aria's lackey in Omega was p. cool

all the Batarians you play in the MP have the fist of doom so they're aight

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The Unnamed One posted:

the MP Soldier one that punched things really hard

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

The Unnamed One posted:

No, but I mean, that's probably pretty racist of Bioware.

Garrus had a Batarian on his omega crew who was probably a good person maybe, but they're only mentioned in passing so who knows really.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Yeah, I figure Batarians could've been a more interesting race if they went more on a Scoia'tel direction - abandoned and despised by the Council Races who favored humanity, and decided to lash out in the worst way possible.

As it stands they're just pretty much a race of assholes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Unnamed One posted:

Yeah, I figure Batarians could've been a more interesting race if they went more on a Scoia'tel direction - abandoned and despised by the Council Races who favored humanity, and decided to lash out in the worst way possible.

ideally they should have made it clearer that the problem is their totalitarian government, and that Batarian enclaves outside of Batarian space are more varied

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Unnamed One posted:

All you guys talking about Batarians being so bad and my first thought was like "well yeah what did you expect when the game devs made them look like actual ghouls" but wow, I was thinking about the Volcha. It is pretty funny that the Batarians are so lovely, then.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Trailer looks fine, but boy, that gameplay must be really super top secret.

SgtSteel91 posted:

No his wife is the AI scientist

"A skilled soldier with N7 ranking and a talented scientist, Alec Ryder was a member of the original task force who traveled through the Charon mass relay."

"SAM is an artificial intelligence designed by our Pathfinder himself."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"Designed" could mean "Hey can you guys make me a thing that does X, Y, Z, and W? Thanks."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Dad Ryder is basically human Mordin

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If people live to be over 150 it makes sense that you could be a N7 soldier and get your PhD after retirement. For all we know, Shepard was 70 before (s)he became a [green/blue/red] explosion/little blue baby.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Pretty sure the codex says Shepard is like 28 or 33 or something in ME1.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Shepard is 28 in ME1

the Ryder twins are 22 in Andromeda

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Well, there's always Dr. Chakwas :shepface:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Actually, since Shepard was born in 2154, we know he/she was about 32 at the end of Mass Effect. Less if you don't count the time she spent dead.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Huh, Shepard was 3 years old before we even ran into the Turians?

Also Zaeed was running around with a bunch of aliens mercenarying it up 3 years after first contact?

... I never realized how much ME compressed the hell out of that kind of timeline.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Humans are *speshul*, though. (Mostly because we opened Mass Relays without a care until the turians found us doing it and went nuts for a bit)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So tell me again why the races sent out the arks? There are more planets than they know what to do with left in the original galaxy - they haven't colonized them all.

They took the arks but it's not like anyone was running out of room.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Drifter posted:

So tell me again why the races sent out the arks? There are more planets than they know what to do with left in the original galaxy - they haven't colonized them all.

They took the arks but it's not like anyone was running out of room.

because they didn't listen to blue oyster cult and feared the reaper.

at least that's my understanding of it. continuity of civilization and all that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think they were originally linked to escaping the Reapers but that was removed and they were launched between ME2 and ME3 because *mumblemutter*.

Has the Krogan presence been explained yet?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Hmm, I remember hearing people guessing it had to do with the Reapers, but then Bioware said otherwise, yeah.

Admiral Ray posted:

because they didn't listen to blue oyster cult and feared the reaper.

at least that's my understanding of it. continuity of civilization and all that.

This was way before they knew about the reapers though. The arks launching had nothing to do with the reapers. Especially not, given the timeframe of planning a mass emigration and constructing those arkships.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kavak posted:

I think they were originally linked to escaping the Reapers but that was removed and they were launched between ME2 and ME3 because *mumblemutter*.

Has the Krogan presence been explained yet?

There are four Arks for each of the council races, and a big old Nexus that has a bunch of the leftover species tagging along as well that ran ahead of the arks.

There are at least enough Krogan to start a small colony as we know from the preview. Probably see some other species as well at some point.

Drifter posted:

This was way before they knew about the reapers though.

I mean, they left after Sovereign attacked the Citadel and Shepard was running around yelling about the Reapers for a while after that. My guess is the mid-game twist is the Ryder twins finding out about the Reapers.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Do you suppose there are camels in that galaxy?

You know. Andromedaries. :dadjoke:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think the Arks are Human, Asari, Turian and Salarian. The presence of any other Milky Way species is that they were on another 'hub' ship that went out ahead of the Arks. I guess a bunch of Krogan hitched a ride on the mother ship for some reason?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zore posted:

There are four Arks for each of the council races, and a big old Nexus that has a bunch of the leftover species tagging along as well that ran ahead of the arks.

There are at least enough Krogan to start a small colony as we know from the preview. Probably see some other species as well at some point.

I mean, they left after Sovereign attacked the Citadel and Shepard was running around yelling about the Reapers for a while after that. My guess is the mid-game twist is the Ryder twins finding out about the Reapers.

The Krogans can't really start a colony, since they'er sterile, but I guess they could own land and hang out whenever they're not out mercenarying things up.

Basically, any Krogans that go out with the arks are dead within ten or fifteen years because they're fighty bastards, with no way to reproduce. :yeah:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

To all die out because there's no cure for the Genophage with them, but they may be mercs that just don't care. Hope the other species brought viable populations with them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Krogans gonna krogan wherever there is a chance to adventure and kill poo poo. You gonna tell them they can't come along? Even at their most nihilist it's an interesting way to go out.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 27, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm actually really curious, and concerned, that we're just going to get the same old krogan bullshit that we've had for three games now. Unless this new Krogan is somehow a gentle giant or whatever.

I liked Grunt and Wrex :rip:, but unless this new one is a slam poet I can't really see how they're going to make this one interesting or new.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

As for viable populations, I think actual scientists have pegged a population of 8000 or so is enough to be viable, and each ark has at least 20k.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Drifter posted:

The Krogans can't really start a colony, since they'er sterile, but I guess they could own land and hang out whenever they're not out mercenarying things up.

Basically, any Krogans that go out with the arks are dead within ten or fifteen years because they're fighty bastards, with no way to reproduce. :yeah:

They aren't sterile, they have the same virility as an average council species due the genophage but suffer from decreasing population due to constant infighting. At least, according to Wrex in ME1.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AngryBooch posted:

They aren't sterile, they have the same virility as an average council species due the genophage but suffer from decreasing population due to constant infighting. At least, according to Wrex in ME1.

What????

No, their birthrate may be normal, but their stillborn rate is exponentially high. Even that may not be the case. Like, I legit thought the whole genophage meant they were "mostly sterile" Like, one in a thousand female Krogan could become pregnant/lay a viable clutch. Or every woman could get pregnant, but one in a thousand times would they actually have living babies.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 26, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, they can have kids, but one living kid comes at the cost of dozens if not hundreds of still births.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Veotax posted:

I think the Arks are Human, Asari, Turian and Salarian. The presence of any other Milky Way species is that they were on another 'hub' ship that went out ahead of the Arks. I guess a bunch of Krogan hitched a ride on the mother ship for some reason?

And for some reason a Blue Suns, Bloodpack and Eclipse mercenaries ark ship.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

What????

No, their birthrate may be normal, but their stillborn rate is exponentially high.

Yeah, but that's partially because

quote:

Prior to the genophage, krogan could reproduce and mature at an astonishing rate. Females are known to produce clutches of up to 1,000 fertilized eggs over the course of a year

Even post Genophage, they still have people who birth relatively normally. And also they can live for over a thousand years.

They just lay a thousand eggs and get like 0 or 1 kid at a time. Which is bad because Krogan kill each other a lot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zore posted:

Yeah, but that's partially because

Even post Genophage, they still have people who birth relatively normally. And also they can live for over a thousand years.

Oh for real? Haha, I was under the impression that a clutch of eggs was like, six a year or whatever. Goddamn, they're like frogs.

Killer giant frogs with hammers and guns.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Drifter posted:

^^^ - Hmm, I remember hearing people guessing it had to do with the Reapers, but then Bioware said otherwise, yeah.

This was way before they knew about the reapers though. The arks launching had nothing to do with the reapers. Especially not, given the timeframe of planning a mass emigration and constructing those arkships.

Huh. What did Bioware say was the motivation? It strikes me as odd that humans would get an ark ship without being a council race.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, the genophage doesn't make births miraculously rare, just really, really rare compared to the near certainty of carrying a stillborn baby to term, which is understandably extremely depressing and makes the whole prospect of reproduction scary and sad for your average krogan.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, the genophage doesn't make births miraculously rare, just really, really rare compared to the near certainty of carrying a stillborn baby to term, which is understandably extremely depressing and makes the whole prospect of reproduction scary and sad for your average krogan.

Yeah, the Salarians pegged it at what Mordin said was the pre-industial survival rate: 1/1000. Which is absolutely an insane level of attrition, but would theoretically be able to support a stable and growing populace if the Krogan stopped killing each other considering they can lay 1000 eggs a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah. I also like the added setting detail that Tuchanka is a hellish devil-rear end world and before the krogan had guns and fortified structures they lost literally 99.9% of their children to predators and the environment. Thresher maws have got to be the least of it.