Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I'm still quite tickled by the notion of a hospital that just eats ambulances.

Did you read the actual thread in context? It was sublimely stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

HopperUK posted:

I used to be a computer game fat guy but now, thanks to an encounter with That Italian Guy, I am a lovely dog. So I'm in favour.

Just clicked that link and lmao trying to imagine the sheer ambulance logistics necessary in this hypothetical society.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

HopperUK posted:

I used to be a computer game fat guy but now, thanks to an encounter with That Italian Guy, I am a lovely dog. So I'm in favour.

Sexually transmitted avatars?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Just clicked that link and lmao trying to imagine the sheer ambulance logistics necessary in this hypothetical society.
Unfettered capitalism at its worst.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

crispix posted:

they should give me a PR job talking to the fans on their level, i could give a talk at half time and i would be like LISTEN UP, dip-sticks!!!!!! put your rubbish in the bin where it belongs, and in the bin is also where racism belongs!!!!! :cool:, like that

Crispix. He can get results.

See how his "Listen Up!" Method works on Irish football fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Q0u9Vc6EY

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

That Italian Guy posted:

Unfettered capitalism at its worst.

[Simpsons discarding and re-manufacturing bowling pins.gif]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

they should give me a PR job talking to the fans on their level, i could give a talk at half time and i would be like LISTEN UP, dip-sticks!!!!!! put your rubbish in the bin where it belongs, and in the bin is also where racism belongs!!!!! :cool:, like that

Strong Delia Smith at half time of a Norwich game energy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You could have it so that the box bit is left at the hospital with the person being looked after in it.

and the rest of the ambulance heads off back to the dispatch area to be fitted with a new box like

but yellow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also the gantry cranes you would need to shelve the patient cubes could be repurposed to bring in more MRI machines after each use.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Guavanaut posted:

You could have it so that the box bit is left at the hospital with the person being looked after in it.

and the rest of the ambulance heads off back to the dispatch area to be fitted with a new box like

but yellow.

artsy fartsy posted:

Ambulances drive into the hospital building and then park in an assigned bay and become a room in the hospital. This is why they are box shaped, and why it's so hard to find a hospital room (they keep moving around.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

patient cubes
I would have gone with 'health boxes' but I like that too.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

If the patient dies on the way to the hospital they just put the whole ambulance into a car crusher at the funeral.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://youtu.be/MMn5KVYaWw0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly it's 2021 why don't we have fully containerized hospitals? Rooms, patients, parking, all done with cubes and cranes.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

forkboy84 posted:

Strong Delia Smith at half time of a Norwich game energy

Christ, that was so bad I pulled a muscle cringing. I'm not even a footballist, I imagine it'd be worse if you were invested.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

From two days ago. Why not just wait until the tournament was over to publish this

https://twitter.com/mesopotamiasr/status/1414360748055318530?s=21

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's fair to apportion a larger part of the blame for what happened at Wembley yesterday to security and planning. You have an event that is being hyped up as a once in a generation thing (55 years, fair enough) and people have been excited and drinking all day. Tickets are going for £3000+ and you have all these people literally right outside the stadium. You can imagine what the atmosphere must have been like, especially once the rumours start circulating that people are actually successfully breaking in. People will lose their loving minds at that point.

Very easy to criticize "yobs" (aka the working class) when the real blame lays with a complete failure to plan the event properly. I found it laughable how it was all being downplayed yesterday just so the police weren't put in the position of having to cancel the match due to public safety despite the stands being clearly massively overstuffed, visible for all to see on TV. In that regard it was good news some kind of disaster relating to overcrowding didn't happen.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Flayer posted:

It's fair to apportion a larger part of the blame for what happened at Wembley yesterday to security and planning. You have an event that is being hyped up as a once in a generation thing (55 years, fair enough) and people have been excited and drinking all day. Tickets are going for £3000+ and you have all these people literally right outside the stadium. You can imagine what the atmosphere must have been like, especially once the rumours start circulating that people are actually successfully breaking in. People will lose their loving minds at that point.

Very easy to criticize "yobs" (aka the working class) when the real blame lays with a complete failure to plan the event properly. I found it laughable how it was all being downplayed yesterday just so the police weren't put in the position of having to cancel the match due to public safety despite the stands being clearly massively overstuffed, visible for all to see on TV. In that regard it was good news some kind of disaster relating to overcrowding didn't happen.

Also, both the Met and the stadium organisers put out statements saying that nobody had managed to actually get into the stadium, despite video evidence to the contrary.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Also, both the Met and the stadium organisers put out statements saying that nobody had managed to actually get into the stadium, despite video evidence to the contrary.

Did people actually manage to get in properly though - like to where they could see the match? I saw video of people getting up to the mezzanine, but not any further.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
tw: racial slurs

https://twitter.com/FelonMusk13/status/1414354485497978890?s=19

:britain: :brexit: :britain:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There was strong "some fans urinated on the brave cops" energy from the official statements of the people who had scrimped on planning and security.

Probably the same people who are condemning the individual acts of racism that somehow keep happening in a country with no systemic racism.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

There was actually no one in the stadium at all - the “”crowd”” just like the football itself is a holographic construct by AIs to trick us. To what end, though? Who can say. The people who know the truth get either black bagged or injected with “vaccines”.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Drone_Fragger posted:

There was actually no one in the stadium at all - the “”crowd”” just like the football itself is a holographic construct by AIs to trick us. To what end, though? Who can say. The people who know the truth get either black bagged or injected with “vaccines”.

this has something to do with tic tac ufos and probably birds too

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

Same goes for the IT Crowd football scene. I think I found it really funny and relatable 15 years ago but it's just a bit sad now.
There are still parts of the IT crowd that are funny and well observed, it's just that most episodes have at least one thing that comes across as unwatchable with how attitudes have progressed.

The first episode of season 2 has the unbelievably ableist and homophobic main plots, but I still maintain that the moment Moss turns round and tries to serve Jen at the bar was a really funny moment. Not a laudable artistic triumph or anything like that but just a solid, well executed gag.

But even the few bits that are good and watchable (and probably weren't written by glinner himself) are soured by the knowledge of what he would become. It's like how reading JK Rowling now is a very different experience in terms of spotting all the hidden dog whistles. There's so many things I wasn't looking for at the time that I am now and it makes it much harder to enjoy with that context.

Man, Roland Barthes is turning in his grave.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Say what you want about IT crowd but I 100% belly laughed at the windows startup jingle playing when Moss opened his eyes after being knocked out

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly it's 2021 why don't we have fully containerized hospitals? Rooms, patients, parking, all done with cubes and cranes.

Buddy you'd be surprised ad how much of your local hospital is made of portakabins.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I always thought that was weird at school how they had a few blocks of 'temporary' classrooms that were concreted to the ground and seemed pretty permenantly attached.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

There was strong "some fans urinated on the brave cops" energy from the official statements of the people who had scrimped on planning and security.

Probably the same people who are condemning the individual acts of racism that somehow keep happening in a country with no systemic racism.

There's such a massive hole in the official story because that should be a flat impossibility in any post-Taylor stadium, let alone our 90k capacity billion-pound national stadium, with actual royals and senior government officials in attendance.

Oddly all I can find on Twitter now is people going through a temporary fence and getting to the island, which means they would have bypassed the first line of security - a problem, sure, but not a terrible one because the island can itself be segregated and all you'd need to do is search people again inside that bit of the cordon (that's the whole point of the multi-layered way crowd control is done at big stadiums). However the Beeb *definitely* showed more than one video of people getting in through an opened exit gate into the concourse, from where there's unrestricted access to the stands.

Now I'm not saying this is what happened (it definitely is) but the area breached was apparently the entrance for the executive boxes and every big stadium is *notorious* for letting the big-money people just waltz straight past security and even ticketing lines without a glance because DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM? which is of course a much bigger problem than if they'd just built those areas without the normal security setup, but they can't get signed off if the entire ground doesn't abide by the rules.

Obviously I don't care that much that Boris might have had a poor person closer to him than he was comfortable with, but the security checkpointing system is also an absolutely *essential* part of crowd control. That could have gone a lot, lot worse very quickly if more people had managed to get in to that bit of the concourse - not a Hillsborough-level event, but crush and other injuries could have built up pretty damned quickly, especially as the VIP concourses are designed for far fewer people.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

Buddy you'd be surprised ad how much of your local hospital is made of portakabins.

Mine just looks like it's straight-up made of shipping containers:

and given it's a late-New Labour PFI special there's a better-than-evens chance it actually is.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/_AndrewAngus/status/1414569504416296963

Someone bought The National.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I see some comedian called Andrew Lawrence has been cancelled by the woke mob for some tweets. "Shame".

https://twitter.com/BeeFriendlyBrum/status/1414556508986167306

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Flayer posted:

My dad was there and he said it was all the fault of “little Hitlers” on security taking ages to check NHS apps and demanding people take covid tests even if they had the all clear letter. He pushed past himself and he had a ticket - because he would have missed the start if he didn’t.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Noxville posted:

From two days ago. Why not just wait until the tournament was over to publish this

https://twitter.com/mesopotamiasr/status/1414360748055318530?s=21

Ahahahahaha

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

learnincurve posted:

My dad was there and he said it was all the fault of “little Hitlers” on security taking ages to check NHS apps and demanding people take covid tests even if they had the all clear letter. He pushed past himself and he had a ticket - because he would have missed the start if he didn’t.

Your dad sounds like a right thicko

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

forkboy84 posted:

Your dad sounds like a right thicko

Takes one to know one.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Big Boomer Energy there

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

learnincurve posted:

Those scoundrels, doing their job and trying their best for people to not get sick!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Surprised that the little hitlers were checking NHS apps and demanding people take covid tests rather than egging on drunken street brawls and being really racist, because there were definitely some people doing the latter and that sounds like it'd be more up hitler's street than asking people to put a swab up their nose.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
No point checking covid apps now imo, countries riddled with it. Absolutely no way that spread can be contained with testing/self isolation.

Not that I'm condoning that guys dad being an absolute wank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Reminds me of when I missed the whole support and almost missed the start of Radiohead because it was in Manchester a few months after the bombing and security was an arudously long process.

I waited in line, did what I was told and had a private moan about it later because doing otherwise would've made me a dangerous knobhead.