Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Morpheus posted:

This modern idea that every game (even ones that aren't f2p or subscription based) needs endgame + postgame content with regular content drops and such is such a drag. Every time I see a complaint about how a games endgame is bad, or that it doesn't have enough of a roadplan for after the release, I just don't tune it out.

I'll be playing a game and seeing people talk about it and they'll say "well the devs abandoned it". When I was a kid the word for a developer not working on a single player game any more was "released"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo is there a loving bonfire anywhere in the Grand Archives in DS3?

I mean, besides the one I start at and loop back to?

There are four major shortcuts that you can open and a few other connecting paths but yeah no bonfire. On the plus side you’re pretty much right near the end of the game!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Well...at least I unlocked the lifts and kicked down the ladders and poo poo so it let me circle back around and made the level smaller. But jesus christ that road to (I think it is) the two princes is god damned brutal. I think it's the princes anyway. I boned the gently caress out of there to go cash out before I fought whatever the gently caress it was at the end of that loving final stretch and didn't get a clean look at the motherfucker. Whatever it was, it didn't look nice and my estus was used up.

God drat.

This loving game.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo is there a loving bonfire anywhere in the Grand Archives in DS3?

I mean, besides the one I start at and loop back to?

Been years since I’ve played it but no. Iirc there are shortcuts you can unlock they will make the only bonfire at the start a lot more useful though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Was looking to play a fun video game today with friends, but our nation's largest internet provider decided to poo poo the bucket, leaving millions without a connection.

Canadian internet loving sucks y'all. It's dragging down a bunch of my games right now

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Been playing Stardew Valley and I don't know how you're supposed to know when and where to catch some of these fish without a wiki.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BiggerBoat posted:

Well...at least I unlocked the lifts and kicked down the ladders and poo poo so it let me circle back around and made the level smaller. But jesus christ that road to (I think it is) the two princes is god damned brutal. I think it's the princes anyway. I boned the gently caress out of there to go cash out before I fought whatever the gently caress it was at the end of that loving final stretch and didn't get a clean look at the motherfucker. Whatever it was, it didn't look nice and my estus was used up.

God drat.

This loving game.

I hope you do the DLC

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Well...at least I unlocked the lifts and kicked down the ladders and poo poo so it let me circle back around and made the level smaller. But jesus christ that road to (I think it is) the two princes is god damned brutal.

That's what I said now

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I never minded that style of level design, where you open shortcuts to a hub. I find it satisfying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record I think Fromsoft is aware of the sheer length of the Grand Archives, I've always pictured the sorry bastard out front to be a gag about how pointlessly tall it is. Y'know, that dude who has the key on his corpse.

His personal ring is found at the absolute tippy top implying he did it all the hard way WITHOUT opening the shortcuts and then just fell or was pushed off. Thanks, guy!

edit: Or he just lives here and one of his fellow assassins got jealous on the rafters but still I like the idea of rogue banana peels as a gameplay hazard.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:56 on Jul 9, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

2house2fly posted:

I'll be playing a game and seeing people talk about it and they'll say "well the devs abandoned it". When I was a kid the word for a developer not working on a single player game any more was "released"!

Depends on the game and the context.

For lovely MMOs in disguise service games, they're literally sold and marketed on being forever games with neverending new content that you have to pony up for every month. Turns out when you psychologically manipulate people into being unable to stop thinking about your game for a single day of their lives, they're gonna be real pissed when you stop paying attention to the game and by extension them.

On the other hand, in the world of early access games you get a wild variety of developers "abandoning" a game for reasons ranging from "literally took the money, like in a cartoonish sack with a dollar sign on it, and ran" all the way to "they finished it, y'know, completed it, reached 100% of their development goals and hit 1.0, and then stopped make more game like assholes".

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

God drat.

This loving game.

There’s an elevator shortcut right before the doors to the boss chamber at least. Kind of a long run to it but you can avoid all the enemies on the way

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 13:00 on Jul 9, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

muscles like this! posted:

Been playing Stardew Valley and I don't know how you're supposed to know when and where to catch some of these fish without a wiki.

God, I’d ask my daughters but they’d launch into some long detailed story about Stardew that would likely go on for 30 minutes or more. They loving love that game.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

muscles like this! posted:

Fishing in FFXIV is a huge turnoff for me.

I mean, I WANT to like it, but there's so much bullshit attached to certain rare fish that it becomes an exercise in frustration and futility.
The real crack-ping moment for me was trying to catch a Warden of the Seven Hues. Spending literal hours in one spot trying to catch the right combination of fish to make the window where you even have a chance of maybe catching it appear, triggering said window, and then being given the "You've been fishing here too long, the fish are onto you, you should try going somewhere else." message when I try to cast, and the window closing before it would let me cast again.

At least the ocean expeditions are relatively chill and relaxing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

One of the weeklong quests in Stardew (Pam's?) opens up the fishing channel. That has everything except maybe the legendary fish

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

There’s an elevator shortcut right before the doors to the boss chamber at least. Kind of a long run to it but you can avoid all the enemies on the way

You mean there's a way to avoid crossing that bridge with all those knights on it?

Cause that's a rough stretch. Even though it's a good place to farm souls, I use up a lot of arrows and estus getting across. Maybe I'll try running through it. I found the elevator to the right of the lone bonfire. Is that the one you mean?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
A little thing that’s annoying me in Sekiro right this instant is that one of the bosses is rematch with someone you fought earlier (purely gameplay spoilers but it’s a pretty late fight) Corrupted Monk, For Real, and they have three phases, one that’s just the first fight, phase 2 is just 1 but occasionally they disappear to kill the momentum of the fight while you just kinda guard their shadow clones’ attacks, and then phase 3 is the actual remixed fight where they/it has remixed versions of old attacks alongside new ones.

I could probably (definitely) stand to be better at this game with the amount of tries I’ve wasted, but it’s something that frustrates me in a lot of From games since it started cropping up in DS3/Elden Ring (hell I’ve probably complained about it before in this thread!) where the game makes you fight what’s basically a full length fight against a now-mediocre boss before the real fight, only it’s Sekiro so instead of being frustrated with the tedium you’re wired to react certain ways to sweeps and eat poo poo because there’s a different follow up now.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

BiggerBoat posted:

You mean there's a way to avoid crossing that bridge with all those knights on it?

Cause that's a rough stretch. Even though it's a good place to farm souls, I use up a lot of arrows and estus getting across. Maybe I'll try running through it. I found the elevator to the right of the lone bonfire. Is that the one you mean?

Yeah. There’s an elevator on the right just before the final staircase that will take you back to the bonfire iirc. You still have to charge up the stairs but it’s a short run

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's an elevator to the right of the staircase before Lothric that takes you back down closer to the Dragonslayer Armor bonfire.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I have never met a game where mining is unfun. Some games are certainly more fun than others, but even if mining is a simple side activity it still serotonins my brain.

Games where fishing is fun are rare almost to non-existence. The only one that I can think I have ever enjoyed is Terraria because you can stack so many buffs so that you can just rip loot out of the water, and good loot too!

On that note, V Rising is a great game, but virtually requires fishing and it's crap fishing. You're a vampire and capture a human with good tasty blood, but have to feed them to keep them alive. The fuckers will only eat fish (sustainably, if you feed them rats they'll die of despair), you can only fish at uncommon fish-points, fishing is "click once then wait", and most of the time when you fish you DON'T GET A FISH you get some crafting material. Auuugh.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Last Celebration posted:

A little thing that’s annoying me in Sekiro right this instant is that one of the bosses is rematch with someone you fought earlier (purely gameplay spoilers but it’s a pretty late fight) Corrupted Monk, For Real, and they have three phases, one that’s just the first fight, phase 2 is just 1 but occasionally they disappear to kill the momentum of the fight while you just kinda guard their shadow clones’ attacks, and then phase 3 is the actual remixed fight where they/it has remixed versions of old attacks alongside new ones.

I could probably (definitely) stand to be better at this game with the amount of tries I’ve wasted, but it’s something that frustrates me in a lot of From games since it started cropping up in DS3/Elden Ring (hell I’ve probably complained about it before in this thread!) where the game makes you fight what’s basically a full length fight against a now-mediocre boss before the real fight, only it’s Sekiro so instead of being frustrated with the tedium you’re wired to react certain ways to sweeps and eat poo poo because there’s a different follow up now.

You can skip the entire phase 2 with an aerial deathblow from one of the branches. It's a hidden trick but completely intentional.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

You can skip the entire phase 2 with an aerial deathblow from one of the branches. It's a hidden trick but completely intentional.

gently caress! I just thought those were there for looks. So what, just jump on the branch when she warps back in from her clone attack?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Evilreaver posted:

I have never met a game where mining is unfun. Some games are certainly more fun than others, but even if mining is a simple side activity it still serotonins my brain.

Games where fishing is fun are rare almost to non-existence. The only one that I can think I have ever enjoyed is Terraria because you can stack so many buffs so that you can just rip loot out of the water, and good loot too!

On that note, V Rising is a great game, but virtually requires fishing and it's crap fishing. You're a vampire and capture a human with good tasty blood, but have to feed them to keep them alive. The fuckers will only eat fish (sustainably, if you feed them rats they'll die of despair), you can only fish at uncommon fish-points, fishing is "click once then wait", and most of the time when you fish you DON'T GET A FISH you get some crafting material. Auuugh.

I think part of the problem is that fishing is usually tacked on as a side activity, so the mechanics don't get a whole lot of depth or further development, and ultimately it's probably going to involve a lot of waiting and patience. Worse yet is if a game throws it in as more of a distraction than a side activity. Thinking back to Torchlight where you'd be blowing up monsters and then thing would screech to a halt so you could play the most basic fishing minigame in existence. (Though I guess technically you could just dynamite fishing spots, but I think that reduce the odds of getting actually good or interesting poo poo.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

Yeah. There’s an elevator on the right just before the final staircase that will take you back to the bonfire iirc. You still have to charge up the stairs but it’s a short run

exquisite tea posted:

There's an elevator to the right of the staircase before Lothric that takes you back down closer to the Dragonslayer Armor bonfire.

OK thanks. I'm a little confused though but will have a look around. Right now I do:

Archives bonfire, inside and go right and up that elevator, kill a couple dudes and then I have to go over this long, really brutal bridge. IIRC, it was straight into the door from there and I don't remember seeing anything but I probably missed something.

E

Never mind. Looked it up and found it. Walked right past it the first time.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Jul 9, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Last Celebration posted:

gently caress! I just thought those were there for looks. So what, just jump on the branch when she warps back in from her clone attack?

You can do it while she's summoning the clones. She will be completely immobile at the start of phase 2 while doing her "ommm" chant.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

RareAcumen posted:

Wow what a mary sue.

This is the weirdest insult i’ve ever had.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Just an fyi that you'll have to hang out for a secondat the top of the shortcut so a group of knights walk past, or you'll have to fight before thr 2 Princes. Have fun, the Princes are my favorite boss fight in all the souls games.

I really the combat and systems in Monster Train, but I find the art style and animation to be atrocious. Not really sure what the style is called, but everything looks like a paper doll with 1 point of articulation for the limbs. Everything looks like Steam World.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Breath of Fire 3 has my favorite fishing mini game of all time. Fishing is more than just “press x, wait until the bob goes underwater, press x again.” You can see the shadows of the fish which are slightly different between species, you can control where you actually cast your line, different fish respond to different lures (with different types all behaving differently in the water), reeling the fish in requires struggling against it until it’s worn down, and progressing further into the game gets you access to better rods and lures. You start out with a crappy wooden rod and some worms catching jellyfish and trout, but by the end you have a fancy rod and are pulling out spearfish and arapaima

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

I think part of the problem is that fishing is usually tacked on as a side activity, so the mechanics don't get a whole lot of depth or further development, and ultimately it's probably going to involve a lot of waiting and patience.

Honestly I think it's the opposite, fishing is so often thrown in with either required or really good and exclusive rewards, which means you are forced or heavily encouraged to slog through it. Putting more time into developing it often just makes it worse, because instead of just rolling the dice or mashing a button , you now have to care about different kinds of 20 different kinds lure, bait, rod, lines, and have to figure out if lava counts as fresh or saltwater.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Hades having fishing was one of the most baffling decisions I've seen in an otherwise competently designed game.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Hel posted:

Honestly I think it's the opposite, fishing is so often thrown in with either required or really good and exclusive rewards, which means you are forced or heavily encouraged to slog through it. Putting more time into developing it often just makes it worse, because instead of just rolling the dice or mashing a button , you now have to care about different kinds of 20 different kinds lure, bait, rod, lines, and have to figure out if lava counts as fresh or saltwater.

I imagine it’s a matter of preference. Breath of Fire 3 is closer to that end of things but it’s also one of the best jrpgs of all time and even with that in mind the fishing minigame alone got me to replay it twice

Also the Hades minigame was great because it’s so completely out of the blue but also gives great rewards for next to no effort

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It's just such a "why?" addition. It performs exactly no load bearing. It gives nothing unique. It has no depth. It doesn't fit with the rest of the game. It's not even bad necessarily, it doesn't really detract, it's just like... why? It's Hades... and also fishing. For no reason. Just utterly baffling to me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fish are inherently cthonic beings, as they dwell below ground level

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In the abstract, fish get cashed in for trade goods then which get exchanged for tangible rewards, so it's a way to add an additional drip feed of goodies without connecting it to any other system. You might suck at the main game but still get a couple fish every run which helps keep your unlocks moving.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
If a game fails to communicate information about fishing to the player, then it's bad fishing. I'm talking what lures work against what fish, where fish show up and at what times, either given to you or as something you can fill out in a log. And if Lure A works on Fish B then it had better do so a hundred percent of the time, not "sometimes the fish is drawn to it a little more than a worm" or some garbage.

I think the worst example of this was in the standalone FFXV fishing game, Monster of the Deep. You'd have lures that say things like "Works with fish a, fish b, fish c, etc." Like what the gently caress does 'etc' mean? What a useless thing to put there. It was also arbitrary and lures were as likely to work as not, and there was such a huge overlap that it was impossible to know if a blue fireball floater worked better than a green cactaur spinner or a yellow eyeball sinker. Just nonsense. Wanted to enjoy that game but it was just impossible to do so

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I "like" fishing in Nier: Automata because it's super easy, there are only 2 unique things that you "have" to fish for and outside of those 2 things it's just a way to make very decent money early on. The only thing that could be annoying is that technically you have to find every kind of fish for an achievement, but in N:A you can just buy achievements in-game.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

John Murdoch posted:

In the abstract, fish get cashed in for trade goods then which get exchanged for tangible rewards, so it's a way to add an additional drip feed of goodies without connecting it to any other system. You might suck at the main game but still get a couple fish every run which helps keep your unlocks moving.

The fish rewards are based on where they're found so you have to go deep enough to get them anyway so if you suck you're still out of luck.

They could just be chests.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't like fishing most of the time. I'm playing games for the fun fantasy of doing impossible stuff. The most 'realistic' game I've played is a toss-up between Last of Us Part 2 and the Yakuza series.

Fishing rarely changes, it's the same as it was back in 1998 with Big the Cat. You might have different lures now but it's just throwing your line at a shadow in the water and waiting and hoping they go for it. Sometimes they mix it up a little. Warframe letting you just use a harpoon/spear and immediately pull stuff out of the water is one and you can fish in RE4 but I don't know if anyone really thinks of that as fishing really. So many skill trees, upgrades, stats to improve and fishing remains the same. Can't get a net and just grab 8 at a time, can't make an insane hydra fishing rod that casts a dozen hooks out at once, you can't do anything interesting to make it faster to collect things.

It's either wait for the bobber to go underwater like Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing and Minecraft/ Or hold the button down in the bar like Stardew Valley and Phantom Hourglass.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked Okami's fishing as you'd almost always catch SOMETHING due to it working by drawing a line straight from the rod to the fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club