Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Literally Kermit posted:

Hey quick Diamond Frogs update!

[...]

It will take a couple of days to set it all up, so bear with me!

Can you give any of us that still have Star Citizen an identifier like a yellow asterisk or something?

PS Diamond frogs gives you the 'thing to do' in Elite, which is mainly dicking around other player factions. I heartily recommend it as ED++.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I think gilbert gottfried would be a good sandi in a movie

"......The Aristocrats!"

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man I really need to put some more time into Elite. I started messing with it but got sidetracked and haven't touched it since.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

Man I really need to put some more time into Elite. I started messing with it but got sidetracked and haven't touched it since.

I really like it. Just starting to understand the full breadth of things to do, outside the grind credits -> upgrade ship loop. It's incredibly impressive.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Hav posted:

"......The Aristocrats!"

that's what I was going to name my Constellation!

and then it came true.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Whenever I put a 1.6 million credit component into my 750k Cobra Mk. IV, I feel like a 15-year-old kid pimping his Honda Civic. I think my ship's components are worth 10 times the cost of the ship itself. Does Star Citizen give you the feeling of being a stupid 15-year-old kid? Actually I guess it does, doesn't it.

Well does Star Citizen have bounty hunting? That is my preferred Elite pasttime. I'm sure if I check on the RSI boards, I'll find out there will be a rich bounty hunting experience, backed up by cultist posts using a lot of phrases like "probably", "I expect", "Chris has said", "most likely", etc.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
only consensual bounty hunting

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
a box pops up "WeedlordPicard has posted a bounty on you for 30000 space credits do you allow this"

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Toops posted:

I really like it. Just starting to understand the full breadth of things to do, outside the grind credits -> upgrade ship loop. It's incredibly impressive.

i'm having just a little trouble getting into it, since i can't see another human being without getting killed and I get lost jumping around so can't complete delivery missions. feels nice to fly though.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Parallelwoody posted:

Do you even remotely understand shitposting development? It's 2 weeks, not hours. Maybe you've done some shitposting before but this is on an unprecedented level. It's harder than the moon landing.

It's alpha

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

a box pops up "WeedlordPicard has posted a bounty on you for 30000 space credits do you allow this"

"Do you allow this, Captain B'tak?"

- Yes, I'm a bad enough dude to carry a bounty
- No, I will feel grief

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Hav posted:

"......The Aristocrats!"

A man goes in to Kickstarter and says "Have I got an act for you!"

Kickstarter says "ok well let's hear it."

The man goes and opens the door and lets in his wife and his biggest fan, both literally and figuratively.

The fan takes the man's pants off first and begins aggressively eating out his rear end. Like seriously savage analingus.

The man strips the wife's clothes off and drapes her in a flag, and then starts dry humping her through the flag.

Meanwhile the fan is still eating rear end but has started jerking off. The fan's friends from the internet all show up at the windows and start taking photos and high fiving.

The woman shoves the man off of her and starts throwing photocopied university degrees around, stapled to acting resumes with headshots. The man rushes over to Kickstarter's computer, shoves Kickstarter away, and begins ordering huge numbers of expensive items on the internet.

The fan is now jerking off alone while looking at the wife. The wife breaks down in tears and a poor young girl in tattered clothes rushes in to hand her flowers, before being backhanded and sent away.

As internet items begin to arrive, the man goes back to the door and, erect, shouts at the fans angrily. They cheer and take more photos.

We then near the big finale. The man, the wife, and the fan get into a daisy chain of oral sex. The fan is briefly petulant when the wife initially stars to suck the man's cock.

As they all orgasm at once, they poo poo themselves, and scream that the PU has been released. The fans outside cheer at the smell of poo poo.

Kickstarter looks a little shocked. "Well that's a hell of an act. What do you call it?"

"THE ARISTOCRATS!"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

Immediately after I got it (during the little Christmas games giveway a couple people did in this thread) I got hooked into a really serious Helldivers addiction on top of my already dangerous MWO addiction, and then Rise of the Tomb Raider came out, and my buddy made a horrible godawful bullet hell game about tacos, and I've been trying to record a bunch of dumb poo poo in AC 2.0, and now it's today and I'm remembering I never even finished setting up my keybinds in Elite and now I feel bad.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I have accumulated a 4.7 billion ISK bounty in EVE. Please stroke my e-peen. :smuggo:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Gilganixon posted:

i'm having just a little trouble getting into it, since i can't see another human being without getting killed and I get lost jumping around so can't complete delivery missions. feels nice to fly though.

Once you get used to the controls, and they become second nature, the game opens up tremendously. I even fly with mouse and keyboard, and now that I have enough practice I just fly top speed right up to stations while simultaneously asking docking permissions, zip right through the mail slot and zip directly to the landing pad, not even having to fidget with the microadjustment minigame to align myself. (You can just fly straight to the pad and dock once you get a feel for distance and speed.) I don't even notice what I'm doing now, I just do it, just like when you drive you don't think "NOW I WILL TURN MY STEERING WHEEL TO THE LEFT" and instead just do it. The game really does have the depth of control to allow for the player to master it over time, which might be the most immersive thing about it. Give it another try and you'll really see that it's set up to allow your own skill as a player determine your experience. And you absolutely will get better as you play, guaranteed.

Edit: In fact there's a cool little feature in combat, if you can call it a feature, that really cranks the realism up. All your ship hardpoints are located on different parts of your hull. When you're in combat, and you fire your weapons, sometimes you'll find a certain cannon isn't firing for some reason. When this first happened to me, I thought it was a bug. It's actually because even though the target is lined up, the weapon itself may not have line-of-sight to the target. My cannons are on the underside of my ship, so if my target is in front of me but slightly above, they will not fire, because the underside of my hull is in the way. If the target is too far to one side, only one cannon will fire. So even in simple combat, you have a maneuvering minigame where you have to constantly act and react to the fact that you're not just lining up the ship in your reticle, but actually having to be very aware of where your weapons are located on your ship, so you can line up your targets properly. It adds a sense of physical presence to your armament that very few games achieve.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 8, 2016

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

I have accumulated a 4.7 billion ISK bounty in EVE. Please stroke my e-peen. :smuggo:

Have they fixed the system yet, or could you jump to an empty clone and split the proceeds with your killer?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
Are they still sending out 20GB reinstall the whole game "updates" everyother day or was that just some stunt that lasted a week or two?

Did they fix all the doors? What about the elevator?

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
On the topic of space combat sims, I originally signed up for Star Citizen because I believed Chris Roberts when he said that he was building a combat focused space sim. As you can imagine, the shift of Star Citizen from space combat to Second Life in space disillusioned me about the whole project. But, this story has a happy ending: I found SA and learned that I too can shitpost! Star Citizen changed my life and I am better for it :yarg:

Back go space combat games. Even now, I can't really get excited about Elite because it has a very high emphasis on trading and exploration, not shooting things. I had hoped that CIG would build a space combat game parallel to Janes F/A-18. A sim-lite game, with enough advanced systems to add gameplay depth, but not as detailed as a full-on sim.

What annoys me is that CIG has developed the ideas, and even implemented, for some very innovative group combat. In particular, the sensor system with background noise could allow for a full electronic warfare approach to combat. One ship could carry a jammer (increased background noise) which hides a group of attack craft, or multiple jammers pull defenders away from a central point, etc. etc. But the sensor system was the last gameplay element CIG developed for fighter combat, ever since then it has been increasing desperate attempts to chase the whales and build Sandi's acting career. Worse, death of Star Citizen will probably chill the market for combat focused space games for a while.

EightAce - do CIG employees read SA? I wonder what their response is to the posting here. Do they find it funny, in a gallows humor manner?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hav posted:

Have they fixed the system yet, or could you jump to an empty clone and split the proceeds with your killer?

They actually fixed that bit. Now, you only get a fraction of the market value of whatever is destroyed. They also fixed it so that bounties can be placed on anyone, so lots of players are feeling grief that their upstanding law-abiding, highly security-rated characters have a big red WANTED sign plastered all over their portraits. It's great.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Can you give any of us that still have Star Citizen an identifier like a yellow asterisk or something?

PS Diamond frogs gives you the 'thing to do' in Elite, which is mainly dicking around other player factions. I heartily recommend it as ED++.

We are listed as "Stellar Commandos".

EDIT: On the topic of SC, I have a question for EightAce:

Many here believe that the UK main office (Foundry 42) is the most competent and productive of the bunch. Office pride aside, is there any merit to that, or is it a case of comparing bumbling waste to mediocre development?

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 8, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Scruffpuff posted:

Once you get used to the controls, and they become second nature, the game opens up tremendously. I even fly with mouse and keyboard, and now that I have enough practice I just fly top speed right up to stations while simultaneously asking docking permissions, zip right through the mail slot and zip directly to the landing pad, not even having to fidget with the microadjustment minigame to align myself. (You can just fly straight to the pad and dock once you get a feel for distance and speed.) I don't even notice what I'm doing now, I just do it, just like when you drive you don't think "NOW I WILL TURN MY STEERING WHEEL TO THE LEFT" and instead just do it. The game really does have the depth of control to allow for the player to master it over time, which might be the most immersive thing about it. Give it another try and you'll really see that it's set up to allow your own skill as a player determine your experience. And you absolutely will get better as you play, guaranteed.

Edit: In fact there's a cool little feature in combat, if you can call it a feature, that really cranks the realism up. All your ship hardpoints are located on different parts of your hull. When you're in combat, and you fire your weapons, sometimes you'll find a certain cannon isn't firing for some reason. When this first happened to me, I thought it was a bug. It's actually because even though the target is lined up, the weapon itself may not have line-of-sight to the target. My cannons are on the underside of my ship, so if my target is in front of me but slightly above, they will not fire, because the underside of my hull is in the way. If the target is too far to one side, only one cannon will fire. So even in simple combat, you have a maneuvering minigame where you have to constantly act and react to the fact that you're not just lining up the ship in your reticle, but actually having to be very aware of where your weapons are located on your ship, so you can line up your targets properly. It adds a sense of physical presence to your armament that very few games achieve.

thanks for that. one thing about this game is that it feels good enough to fly around that even though I'm bad at it I want to sit down and figure out how to do it. There doesn't seem to be much of a penalty for dying or messing up missions either (at least at the start, don't know about later) which is also good.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sperglord posted:

Back go space combat games. Even now, I can't really get excited about Elite because it has a very high emphasis on trading and exploration, not shooting things. I had hoped that CIG would build a space combat game parallel to Janes F/A-18. A sim-lite game, with enough advanced systems to add gameplay depth, but not as detailed as a full-on sim.

I was bounty hunting most of the weekend, which is pretty much all combat, mainly to build up enough cash reserves to go join my fellow frogs in fighting a limited war against another player faction. Trading is multi-leveled, from simply picking up something to avoid dead-heading to the very long ranged rares orbits. Exploration appears to be the ED version of the 'Long Walk' in terms that people disappear for a month or so.

I'd take issue with your assertion that it's all trading and exploration, though.

Bootcha posted:

We are listed as "Stellar Commandos".

Even quitters that are no longer in the running for the BDSSE? At the moment I appear to be subsidizing fun. I'd like my folly available for all to see.

Bootcha posted:

Many here believe that the UK main office (Foundry 42) is the most competent and productive of the bunch. Office pride aside, is there any merit to that, or is it a case of comparing bumbling waste to mediocre development?

I'd suggest that Britain itself has a fairly more 'down-to-earth' opinion of things that tends to play out as being 'loving miserable' compared with the United States, which is generally optimistic to a fault. I know I had to become more enthused and upbeat when I emigrated here.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 8, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Gilganixon posted:

thanks for that. one thing about this game is that it feels good enough to fly around that even though I'm bad at it I want to sit down and figure out how to do it. There doesn't seem to be much of a penalty for dying or messing up missions either (at least at the start, don't know about later) which is also good.

For maneuvering, remember that roll and pitch is 95% of the game, yaw is 5%. I only use yaw when microadjusting a combat target, and occasionally if I'm too far to one side when landing or taking off (like the ship launching scene from Galaxy Quest.) Watch the asteroid chase scene in Empire Strikes Back and pay attention to how the Falcon rotates into position, then maneuvers directly up or down to evade the star destroyers and other ships. That's what you're going for. If your target is showing on your radar as on your left, avoid the instinct to turn left. Instead rotate 90 degrees left, so the target is above you, then pull up. For maximum maneuverability, keep the throttle in the blue zone, but don't be afraid to trade maneuverability for speed to stay behind your target. If a ship passes me and I turn around to reengage, I usually start to throttle up past the blue zone before I actually have sight of the target, to avoid an endless circling match.

When landing remember that dropping your landing gear will drop your speed far faster than throttling down. They're like air brakes. But you can use them anywhere, and there are times dropping the speed of your ship suddenly is advantageous, like when an enemy ship is on your tail. Drop the landing gear and watch them fly right in front of you, then raise the gear again and blow the fucker to smithereens.

Edit: I was just proofreading my post and came to the realization that none of this poo poo applies to Star Citizen. The dogfighting in that game is one step above a rail-shooter. That's really depressing for a game that first and foremost was supposed to be about space combat. Combat is just one small part of Elite and it still outdoes them.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 8, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

For maneuvering, remember that roll and pitch is 95% of the game, yaw is 5%. I only use yaw when microadjusting a combat target, and occasionally if I'm too far to one side when landing or taking off (like the ship launching scene from Galaxy Quest.) Watch the asteroid chase scene in Empire Strikes Back and pay attention to how the Falcon rotates into position, then maneuvers directly up or down to evade the star destroyers and other ships. That's what you're going for. If your target is showing on your radar as on your left, avoid the instinct to turn left. Instead rotate 90 degrees left, so the target is above you, then pull up. For maximum maneuverability, keep the throttle in the blue zone, but don't be afraid to trade maneuverability for speed to stay behind your target. If a ship passes me and I turn around to reengage, I usually start to throttle up past the blue zone before I actually have sight of the target, to avoid an endless circling match.

I never got far enough into E:D to really get a feel for that stuff (I blame control issues — couldn't make my mind up on what scheme to use), but are you saying that they effectively managed to create something akin to good old energy fighting in a space game?

Because if so, I need to iron out those issues and get going. :stare:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

I never got far enough into E:D to really get a feel for that stuff (I blame control issues — couldn't make my mind up on what scheme to use), but are you saying that they effectively managed to create something akin to good old energy fighting in a space game?

Because if so, I need to iron out those issues and get going. :stare:

Yes they did, and I haven't even touched on energy management (akin to the Tie Fighter series of shunting power to different control systems) or the advanced but tricky maneuvering you can get into when you toggle flight assist off. I have mine set to holding down a key ("Z" I think) which temporarily releases all the computer assisted controls so Newtonian physics kicks in, so I can continue on a certain trajectory while rotating my ship freely and firing while moving sideways or even backwards. That's advanced stuff though, and I still am not good enough to use it to maximum effect, but it's there and ready for master pilots to learn and up their game even further.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Not really, the blue zone in the throttle is the point where you can turn mostly efficiently, meaning that you're throttling up and down to close distance and get your turn on, it's rolling and pitching is a lot more efficient than attempting a yaw.

That's the basic model. Evasion is basically pegging to one of the corners of the joystick to corkscrew, and effectively you're looking at positioning yourself behind whoever for the best results. Where it comes into it's own is you can turn off the inertial system that 'corrects' your movement - eg when you stop indicating a roll, the ships stops rolling - so with luck and a following wind, you can flip your ship around while travelling in one direction and fire in another. It's a bit more finicky in practice because you're controlling all the thrusters without damping.

Add to that six different 'thrusters' that you can add to whatever vector you're flying and poo poo gets complex. NPCs at higher levels are producing skid turns to put you on their nose.

I'm not good at this by an stretch, but I've started playing with blipping the IDS for direction changes and it does make a difference.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Colostomy Bag posted:

You awake in terror, with imagery of constant perverse thoughts still haunting you.

After a moment, you look around to gauge your surroundings. You notice a giant machine of unknown origin humming, a slight glow of flickering light emanates from its twisted internals. You are under slight discomfort.

>look at machine

You notice to your horror that there are several wires attached to it, and they lead to your phallus and nipples. Your pain triples.

>inventory

Razor blades.

Your pain triples.

>Get up

As you try to move the pain triples yet again. Your head is spinning. You spot a monitor which shows a mosaic of mass simultaneous executions.

>help

Pain triples

>About

4th Simpire V1.02

Pain triples.

:yarg: :perfect: :gary:

:five:

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

You awake in terror, with imagery of constant perverse thoughts still haunting you.

After a moment, you look around to gauge your surroundings. You notice a giant machine of unknown origin humming, a slight glow of flickering light emanates from its twisted internals. You are under slight discomfort.

>look at machine

You notice to your horror that there are several wires attached to it, and they lead to your phallus and nipples. Your pain triples.

>inventory

Razor blades.

Your pain triples.

>Get up

As you try to move the pain triples yet again. Your head is spinning. You spot a monitor which shows a mosaic of mass simultaneous executions.

>help

Pain triples

>About

4th Simpire V1.02

Pain triples.

The "turns" counter should be replaced by a pain counter which starts at 1 and soon requires scientific notation to display.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Kakarot posted:

:words:

My opposition against early-access games, as I elaborated in previous videos, is explained by two core statements: I'm not willing to pay a company for the quote-on-quote 'privilege' of being a beta-tester for their unfinished product and I don't see any incentive for early-access developers to actually finish their games, due to them being able to keep a game in early-access indefinitely, circumventing the consumer expectation of delivering a finished product whilst ALREADY demanding the full price for it. So in order to lure me into spending money on a product that is unfinished and may never come out, something extraordinary has to happen. After thinking about this a lot, I have come to the conclusion that Star Citizen as a whole is exactly that extraordinary thing.

:words:

Of course there is valid criticism, and there are valid concerns too, but when most of the criticism boils down to 'Vapourware LOL' or 'cash grab scam ROFL' in spite of the obvious progress being made, and in spite of the current playable version of Star Citizen, then a person like me ALSO gets the urge to support that game just to spite those who want to obviously continue to live with a gaming industry in which creativity gets punished, and ambition gets called a pipe-dream. Yes, you heard that right. One of the reasons to pledge for me was to prove those who willingly fellate the megalomaniac corporate publisher blobs wrong. To be part of what may very well be the second coming of PC gaming. Or its biggest failure. But hey, even if Star Citizen fails, at least they loving tried.

So here I am, a newly pledged Star Citizen, and proud of it. In the end, it all boils down to to the concept that if I want the game industry to change, I figured that voicing my criticism and NOT buying games I abhor isn't enough. I decided to put my money where my mouth is. Now, please, for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, don't prove me wrong, Star Citizen.

Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCiE80VNHmY

You had me at "here are some good reasons to not buy into early access" but then lost me at "but gently caress those reasons and gently caress the critics of this game, I'm buying in out of spite!"

:confused:

There's a lot of evidence to portray the incompetence of CIG as a whole. The current version might be playable, but given that they've had five years to work on it, this is not at all where they should be at, especially after announcing on their kickstarter that they'd release the game a year and a half ago. Deadlines change, for sure. Sometimes you get devs like Tim Schafer who mismanage money but still manage to produce a decent game even if it takes a little longer.

But they just made some loving massive changes (the 64 bit conversion) to the game, for no reason, which forced them to lose what little progress they've already made, blamed a different company for the issues with their FPS portion of the game, blamed their critics for writing unfair articles on them(did you forget Chris's 8 hour email that he typed while crying), blamed their backers for annoying them with questions about incomplete parts of the game, consistently lie about their progress (using literally the community mods who know absolutely nothing about the game to answer engineering questions), lost their best employees, has literally the most immature marketing VP on the market (who legit acts like a little girl who thinks she's the best business woman on the planet), constantly ban anyone with any minor criticism of the game or the moderators (both on the twitch stream and their forums), and all of that is just the tip of the iceberg.

I would love if this game came out and was all it is purported to be. They might have done it, had they not had a dreamer as their CEO. It's alright to dream,but sometimes you gotta know when the gently caress to wake up!

And you think there haven't been any new gaming innovations recently?

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Dark Souls is a gaming innovation, it came out in loving 2011. Rocket League is a gaming innovation, came out 8 months ago. Elite is a gaming innovation.

Look at all the VR games coming out in a few months. THEY ARE ALL GAMING INNOVATIONS. What the gently caress do you mean by gaming innovation?

You don't want an innovative product, you see. You say Call of Duty is just producing the same iteration over and over? Guess what, they're innovating too. You think that COD1 and the latest COD are the same? I don't see loving exo suits in COD1 buddy.

This is what you want. You want an amalgum. You want the flying of Elite, the dogfighting of Freelancer, the MMO style and netcode of WoW, the FPS of COD, and you want it to work seamlessly together like GTA5.

That ain't gonna happen. Not in 2016. Not in five years. Maybe in ten. But it sure as hell won't be CIG to do it..

In ten years, I guarantee that the first company to do it will be UBISOFT or EA or some other big publisher. Not some stupid-rear end crowdfunded indiedev selling dreams.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Colostomy Bag posted:

>look at machine

>inventory

Razor blades.

Your pain triples.

>Get up

>help

Pain triples

>About

4th Simpire V1.02

Pain triples.

Please nobody think of this next time you masturbate

lol

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Please nobody think of this next time you masturbate

lol

Too late.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Daztek posted:

I was inspired

That is magical

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Toops posted:

It will have everything, my friend.

So yes, it will have FPS. Bman just dropped me off a FPS character. I named him Croberticus. He hails from Rome. He will probably wield a large floppy dicksword. Hand and a half... or 2hander depending on the hands.

https://trello.com/b/GZRlkiQu/solar-plebeian

Ship: Ageist Potato
:cawg:

I think Toops is going to save PC gaming

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

well was it good

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

well was it good

My shame tripled every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

When landing remember that dropping your landing gear will drop your speed far faster than throttling down. They're like air brakes. But you can use them anywhere, and there are times dropping the speed of your ship suddenly is advantageous, like when an enemy ship is on your tail. Drop the landing gear and watch them fly right in front of you, then raise the gear again and blow the fucker to smithereens.

Edit: I was just proofreading my post and came to the realization that none of this poo poo applies to Star Citizen. The dogfighting in that game is one step above a rail-shooter. That's really depressing for a game that first and foremost was supposed to be about space combat. Combat is just one small part of Elite and it still outdoes them.

That's because David Braben is a visionary game designer and Chris Roberts is a hack who likes to play director.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Drone posted:

And how big is the recipe book now

Seriously someone should compile the recipes and make a literal book

Can we name it "The Taste of Abject Failure"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's because David Braben is a visionary game designer and Chris Roberts is a hack who likes to play director.

Braben also still seems like has a grasp of programming, and wasn't exactly clueless back when he squeezed 1024 systems into 32kb RAM. Roberts prowess seems to extend as far as claiming he had reverse-engineered Lucasart's engine, when in reality he hadn't… :cheeky:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What gets me is that the second post by Reaver really hits why I was so involved to begin with. A lot of the developers went out of their way to say how much they appreciated the feedback from the fans, and it felt really good to see more than a few ideas I posted end up as part of the plan. The emphasis on modularity, for example, came about in part because of a huge push from backers in response to the Cutlass variants each being unique hulls that couldn't really be swapped or altered. That brought about a pretty large post that I made arguing about the philosophy of modularity in Star Citizen and why things need to be flexible, and I've heard more than a few people point to that thread as to the reason why CIG added a stretch goal reaffirming modularity. Of course CIG being CIG then shoved it all inside a Katamari and now I can't find the drat thing.

Of course all of that ended up being irrelevant when it became blatantly clear that the only person who's feedback matters is that of Chris Roberts.

Poor TommyNoble tried to give positive feedback yesterday on some good communication from CIG and was essentially ignored for their trouble.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

It is no exaggeration to say that Star Plebian will have better space combat than Star Citizen. What has been made by CIG has the mechanical depth of a undergraduate project, probably less than that.

On this extremely shallow base, CIG is selling three AAA space sim games, including a console port. What a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mirificus posted:

Poor TommyNoble tried to give positive feedback yesterday on some good communication from CIG and was essentially ignored for their trouble.

Why is he still in not-our-thread?

• Locked thread