Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Jeeze, that broke down super fast.

Ah poo poo new page. Phone posting, sorry for no images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Yoko is a schoolteacher in the second half of Gurren Lagan so I really doubt she was intended to be fifwait why is there a bear trap around my leg someone help

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So a bunch of nerds are upset about the She Ra redesign because nerds + Internet = idiots on Internet

https://twitter.com/akirathedon/status/1018598515616858112

https://twitter.com/AvatarJohn/status/1018515581668954114

https://twitter.com/Evendrell1/status/1018475429852672001

And so on.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ah, the Rational Urge

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I guarantee these people are fine with Fate Grand/Order.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

People that think a reboot or remake of a show will erase the original show from history, probably also think that taking down Confederacy statues will make people forget about the Civil War.

You know.

Morons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would be super surprised if these complainers are actually life-long She-Ra fans because there aren't any

Wendell
May 11, 2003

zoux posted:

I would be super surprised if these complainers are actually life-long She-Ra fans because there aren't any

Yes, exactly this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Admiral Joeslop posted:

People that think a reboot or remake of a show will erase the original show from history, probably also think that taking down Confederacy statues will make people forget about the Civil War.

You know.

Morons.

I mean I can understand where this starts. You get people seeing a new iteration of a thing they enjoyed when they were kids: "What? They've got CHRISTIAN BALE playing Batman now??! WTF the only true Batman is Val Kilmer"

And whether the new thing is good or bad, the thing they've got in their heads is "What if people come to associate NEW VERSION OF THING with THING IN GENERAL, as opposed to MY VERSION OF THING???"

I will freely admit that in my earlier years I was pretty well susceptible to this thinking. It pissed me off when 13-year-old kids would post movie reviews like "Bambi? Why would anyone even watch such an old movie lol it's like 20 years old"* and I thought somehow that the new generation of KIDS THESE DAYS would flood the world and everything good about previous generations of movies and media would be lost because it was considered old and hokey and therefore worthless.

*actual review I read

But time after time this proved to be a groundless fear. True, most remakes in recent years have failed to surpass their antecedents. Robocop, Total Recall, Ghostbusters — the remakes are all quickly forgotten, and the originals remain definitive. But even in cases where the newer iterations don't get simply swept under the rug, e.g. Star Wars prequels / new movies, the reality is that history simply does not disappear. There's no reason to fear a reimagining. The old version will never go away. It's okay.

There are real things to fear in the world. But the things people actually seem to fear, and base their worldview on those fears, are equal parts laughable and unutterably sad

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I decided to use the Timeline feature on Facebook to see my old posts. I wish I had a time machine to punch 34 year old me from 2012. gently caress I was the idiot on social media ugh.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

zoux posted:

No, they're just dudes who want to pop boners at cartoons for kids.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He-Man and She-Ra I remember pretty much being examples of shows that only existed to sell toys to kids. Like, there’s nothing to them at all to get worked up over. The fact people are now making shows for girls that aren’t complete voids of substance is cool, and screw anyone who’s against it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fishstick posted:

We regret to inform you the milkshake titties are racist

Her milkshake brings all the crosses to the yard.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Croatoan posted:

So I decided to use the Timeline feature on Facebook to see my old posts. I wish I had a time machine to punch 34 year old me from 2012. gently caress I was the idiot on social media ugh.

I have a friend who will actually share his old IOSM posts from years back and discuss how he grew out of bad opinions and I have insane amounts of respect for him because of it. I quietly delete mine and pretend they never happened.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

EL BROMANCE posted:

He-Man and She-Ra I remember pretty much being examples of shows that only existed to sell toys to kids. Like, there’s nothing to them at all to get worked up over. The fact people are now making shows for girls that aren’t complete voids of substance is cool, and screw anyone who’s against it.

My brother's 8- and 9-year old daughters are SUPER into 80s He-Man. Like rabidly so. They sit and watch it enraptured. He mocks it relentlessly, especially the ludicrous toys and playsets that are lovingly rendered on-screen in perfect plastic detail, but they legit love it as a show

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

No, they're just dudes who want to pop boners at cartoons for kids.

I don't think it's even that, it's that they get outraged at any evidence of "creeping SJWism" and since the toy commercial cartoon from 30 years ago isn't showing cleavage, Feminism has won and all men are soy boys now, I fear.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thundercats, Transformers, Go Bots, Ghostbusters, the Real Ghostbusters, MASK, MLP, etc.

You're correct that He-Man was the first toy commercial cartoon though, such cartoons were banned as "advertising to children" before Reagan's FCC director basically gutted all ad regulations in 1981

quote:

During the 1970s ACT tried to get advertising banned from children's broadcasting altogether, but reached a compromise with the NAB in 1973 that limited advertising to twelve minutes per hour. ACT then began a campaign to have advertising banned from all programming aimed at preschoolers. The activist group challenged the broadcasters on many other fronts regarding programming content. In short, ACT was a force to be reckoned with whenever the group felt that the FCC was not enforcing regulatory standards. Unfortunately, Sarson and Charren were about to run up against a force far greater than a recalcitrant TV station -- the 40th President of the United States.

Ronald W. Reagan did not much care for any regulations that unduly hindered business, and the selling of products to an entire nation of children was a big business indeed. When Reagan appointed Mark S. Fowler as commissioner of the FCC on May 18, 1981, children's television would change dramatically. Fowler championed market forces as the determinant of broadcasting content, and thus oversaw the abolition of every advertising regulation that had served as a guide for broadcasters. In Fowler's estimation, the question of whether children had the ability to discriminate between the ads and the entertainment was a moot point; the free market, and not organizations such as ACT would decide the matter.

Twelve years before Fowler took office, the ABC network featured a Saturday morning cartoon show called Hot Wheels. The show was ostensibly about a car racing club, but it was noted that Mattel toys sold a line of miniature racing cars known as "Hot Wheels." The FCC, past lessons in mind, considered the show to be an extended commercial for the toy cars and threatened to pull the series from the air. ABC argued that the toys were never actually advertised, but the show, under continual scrutiny for two years, was cancelled. Hot Wheels was to be the last controversy the FCC would face; under Fowler's new hands-off policy, the issue never would have been contested.

zoux has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Jul 16, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
christ how am i supposed to jack off to all these cartoons if they keep taking away the giant honkers!!! - someone on Twitter, probably

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I really don't understand these types of people. Like, I feel embarrassed admitting I had a crush on Misty when I was 10. For someone to not just publicly proclaim, but also basically brag about being sexually attracted to her as an adult is absolutely mind boggling to me.

GrandpaPants posted:

So a bunch of nerds are upset about the She Ra redesign because nerds + Internet = idiots on Internet

I didn't grow up watching She-Ra, but I actually like the new design way more than the old one. Are people man that they gave her a smaller chest and also covered it up?

Also, I guess she does sort of look like Hank Venture, but I still really like it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

https://twitter.com/akirathedon/status/1018719221574918146

:ironicat:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
That She-Ra on the right looks like she's about to gently caress poo poo up. I guess that's bad because she's actually supposed to pose like a statue.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hank Hill voice: Im gonna kick his rear end

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That She-Ra on the right looks like she's about to gently caress poo poo up. I guess that's bad because she's actually supposed to pose like a statue.

They COVERED UP HER BOOBS AND MADE THEM SMALLER and they put SHORTS under her skirt so she wouldn't flash anyone! THE TRAVESTY

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's now a battle Skort.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Croatoan posted:

34? Be glad you didn't have Facebook when you were 14!

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Field Mousepad posted:

Either Kathy is blind or crazy, Michelle Obama always dressed dapper as gently caress.

I always love the whole "Michelle Obama" is ugly schtick. I can understand if someone says she isn't their type, but the people who say she looks like a monkey or that she is butt ugly are clearly racist fucks. Double lol at criticizing her clothes, I dunno how much more elegant you want than how she pulled herself off half the time.

I also really love the people who claim they didn't protest or complain when Obama was president. You can tell they're being honest because they're still complaining about him over petty poo poo (like the aforementioned Michelle is ugly and wore garbage clothes comment lmbo) almost 2 years since he has even been president.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

SpacePig posted:

Also, I guess she does sort of look like Hank Venture, but I still really like it.

Well I didn't have a problem with her redesign until now. I can't loving unsee this.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Raldikuk posted:

I always love the whole "Michelle Obama" is ugly schtick. I can understand if someone says she isn't their type, but the people who say she looks like a monkey or that she is butt ugly are clearly racist fucks. Double lol at criticizing her clothes, I dunno how much more elegant you want than how she pulled herself off half the time.

It's been a lot of fun watching the same people who spent 8 years spewing vile garbage about Michelle Obama suddenly turn around and demand decorum when talking about Melania.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Raldikuk posted:

I also really love the people who claim they didn't protest or complain when Obama was president. You can tell they're being honest because they're still complaining about him over petty poo poo (like the aforementioned Michelle is ugly and wore garbage clothes comment lmbo) almost 2 years since he has even been president.

Similar to the comments that are always made about Serena Williams looking like a man. Never understood them, because I'd be gayer than laughter if men had tits and asses like Serena's.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volcott posted:

Remember the basics of big titty.

Rub Tiddies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMzmvbhwFTw&hd=1

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

probably also think that taking down Confederacy statues will make people forget about the Civil War.

They got a point though. Germany took down all the Hitler statues and now we have no idea how WW2 played out or who participated.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

SpacePig posted:

It's been a lot of fun watching the same people who spent 8 years spewing vile garbage about Michelle Obama suddenly turn around and demand decorum when talking about Melania.

Which is especially confusing to me because the only jokes I hear about Melania are regarding her escaping/divorcing Trump. Occasionally I will hear someone comment on Melania's politics but never regarding looks or decorum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheCIASentMe posted:

Which is especially confusing to me because the only jokes I hear about Melania are regarding her escaping/divorcing Trump. Occasionally I will hear someone comment on Melania's politics but never regarding looks or decorum.

There was that week we thought Trump murdered her. (She was definitely murdered and "Melania" is one of the body doubles they have like Saddam used to)

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I too am furious that the VHS cover - quite possibly the only thing that saw more than a minute's effort put into it - looks so much better than a horrifically artifacted still.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
e: No, you see, she's not wearing bright lipstick and I can't see her cleavage, so how am I supposed to tell that she's a woman? Beauty is gone from the world!

TheCIASentMe posted:

I've usually seen it when people make fun of her accent, or how she looks completely repulsed by her own husband in publicity photos. And that stuff is enough to get certain people posting about how it's nice to have an attractive first lady again. It's really weird when I see it, but she's been very minimally public lately so there's not as much of it.

Skwirl posted:

There was that week we thought Trump murdered her. (She was definitely murdered and "Melania" is one of the body doubles they have like Saddam used to)

It was definitely more than a week, maybe closer to 3. And yeah, Melania is dead as hell, but Melanie is alive and well.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Michelle Obama wanted to help stem childhood obesity and got poo poo on for it.

Melania stole a speech from her, and did that weird "Be Best" poo poo.

Melania doesn't do poo poo and should be made fun of. She's a trophy First Lady.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

She looks like she went super she-ra level 2

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Grimdude posted:

Michelle Obama wanted to help stem childhood obesity and got poo poo on for it.

Melania stole a speech from her, and did that weird "Be Best" poo poo.

Melania doesn't do poo poo and should be made fun of. She's a trophy First Lady.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Grimdude posted:

She is complicit and should stand trial like the rest of them.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

https://twitter.com/Evendrell1/status/1018475429852672001

And so on.

It's really weird that these dudes are so invested in their weird Cultural Marxism conspiracy theory that they look at that picture of a conventionally attractive glowy girl with a sword and a ruffly skirt and long hair flying majestically in the wind and think, "This is a boyish lesbian who is devoid of both beauty and wonder."

Like I'm not sure about the art style personally, but as a former die-hard She-Ra fan* I'm pretty down for how it's being depicted.

*Of the toys anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

GrandpaPants posted:

This dude blocked me for calling him a dork lol.