Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the only thing my guy has deconstructed is a huge pile of nachos

Yeah, 'deconstructed' here means 'cribbed from the Wars of the Roses', apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

bobjr posted:

At least give us Darkstar, it’s not like you can ruin a character that comes pre ruined

Are you besmirching the good name of ~*DARKSTAR*~, the most dangerous man in Dorne????

:getout:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He is of the night.

It is known.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I guess I could be sort of charitable and suggest that Littlefinger in the show got lazy and complacent and hosed up very badly, but tbh I don't think that the guys who did the show would be clever enough to write that in in a deliberate fashion.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Early on in the show he makes an incest reference to Cersei’s face and only plot armor saved him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mike N Eich posted:

It really is incredible how D&D had zero idea how to take the story forward after Storm of Swords. I'm convinced the line that GRRM gave them the broad outlines of where the story was going was a lie - I'm pretty sure he has no idea where the story is going and thats a big part of why he's not writing.

The changes they made to the story gets worse and worse. In seasons 1-3, many of the changes were economical and sometimes for the better - like the conversations they invented between Robert and Cersei. But they steadily got worse, starting with Robb's new wife, changes to the Essos storyline and hit their nadir with the Sand Snakes (not like they had good material to work with in the first place).

I would say that Season 6 does tick up a little bit in my eyes - if I remember my seasons right - Jonathan Pryce is a scene stealer as well even though everything they do with the Faith as a proto-fascist gang is...bizarre. But everything after Cersei blows up the Sept and...for some reason...becomes the Queen Tyrant Bitch of the Universe is nonsensical within the logic the show had established for itself. After that is sub-fanfic poo poo.

I think it's a glidus video that points it out but the High Sparrow and Cersei have like a single scene together despite being enemies who are ostensibly stuck in a battle of wits primarily and violence secondarily.
Compare that to the good seasons where the show was quite rightly praised for having its characters verbally spar as conflict (even if it's not always amazingly well written). Think back to how Charles Dance's Tywin just utterly belittles Jaime in season one while butchering that stag. Incredible stuff, and compare it to loving anything in S5 on.

Mad Hamish posted:

I guess I could be sort of charitable and suggest that Littlefinger in the show got lazy and complacent and hosed up very badly, but tbh I don't think that the guys who did the show would be clever enough to write that in in a deliberate fashion.

It's absolutely not that he was written to gently caress up, he was written as dumb as gently caress because the fanfic seasons have a one track mindset.

In season 7 - Littlefinger says
"Don’t fight in the North or the South. Fight every battle everywhere, always, in your mind. Everyone is your enemy, everyone is your friend. Every possible series of events is happening all at once. Live that way and nothing will surprise you. Everything that happens will be something that you’ve seen before."

Which is a pretty drat Littlefinger quote for the fanfic seasons of the show to be fair.

In season 7, he's also fully ambushed and surprised before he's killed because he doesn't actually do what he's saying he does?

It's because they don't have the capacity to actually write characters beyond a single track and in Season 7, the track up north is Sansa is the god of deception and everything else has to be stupid to make her gambit work. Arya and Sansa get into beef because they can't write Arya outside of "remember that Arya hated Sansa in season one when they were last on screen... what since, would Arya's absence have killed that animosity... too much to think about gently caress it Sansa is juggling 8 plans at once masterfully." Littlefinger hanging around when Bran comes back with the obvious "I know everything" poo poo instead of making up an excuse to retreat to the vale with his entire army is another example of him getting utterly annihilated as a character with any shred of intelligence.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress me even the ending, it's one track good guys or popular characters get the good endings and logic can gently caress itself.

Tyrion: "Who has a better story than Bran the Broken?"
What does that even mean
Everyone: "Yeah, whatever."
Sansa: "The north is an independent Kingdom tho"
it's another Stark power and absolutely destroys any sense of balanced power across the continent, or is an entirely meaningless proclamation as Bran is literally aligned fully with Stark and the rightful ruler of Winterfell in this feudal rule set. They're not independent because they're the same power or they're heading to war in like 2 years because a king who can't have kids is as good as dead/useless in terms of dynasty and other high lords are going to usurp him to get what Sansa's got.

Also, Yara/Asha: you wanted the Iron Islands independent and Daenerys agreed to that as a condition of using your fleet, nothing to say?

Yara: "actually, I didn't want independence lol STARKS RULE!! STARK STARK STARK! My brother died for you guys even though treated him like absolute poo poo in the last seasons, love you branny boy"

Bronn: "lol I rule the reach now 😉"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how Littlefinger tried to comically run out at the end like it was a sitcom instead of leaving much earlier when things were obviously not going to work out for him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Anders posted:

Are you besmirching the good name of ~*DARKSTAR*~, the most dangerous man in Dorne????

:getout:

Darkstar is hilarious because he’s so obviously a parody of the type of character everyone is mad at him for supposedly being. He gets passed over for the Sword of the Morning position so he becomes emo and fails to kill a child, it’s amazing

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Guy A. Person posted:

Darkstar is hilarious because he’s so obviously a parody of the type of character everyone is mad at him for supposedly being. He gets passed over for the Sword of the Morning position so he becomes emo and fails to kill a child, it’s amazing

Woe upon you for not taking ~*DARKSTAR*~ seriously

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bobjr posted:

I like how Littlefinger tried to comically run out at the end like it was a sitcom instead of leaving much earlier when things were obviously not going to work out for him.

Also how Ned Starks establishing moment is "the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword" and then Sansa sentences him to death and Arya kills him.

You need to have watched roughly ten minutes of episode one to know that. Season 7 might actually be worse than 8.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Also how Ned Starks establishing moment is "the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword" and then Sansa sentences him to death and Arya kills him.

This bothered me a bit less because the point of that scene was that the entire stupid plot was actually them having been 100% in collaboration the whole time; Sansa says the words and Arya slits his throat, but they're each acting for both of them when they do.

But, really, the important part of that sentence is that the entire plot is stupid.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
There's also the whole thing with him handing Sansa to Ramsay in the first place when in the books he is very, very clearly obsessed with her as Cat 2.0 and there's no loving way book Littlefinger just up and hands her to someone else, let alone a bastard from a family of psychopaths. If the books had been finished his marriage plan for her in the Vale would've 100% ended with him trying to kill her future husband and take their place after a mourning period (and then probably dying at some point in the process due to his blind obsession when it comes to Cat (and now Sansa)).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

gently caress me even the ending, it's one track good guys or popular characters get the good endings and logic can gently caress itself.

Tyrion: "Who has a better story than Bran the Broken?"
What does that even mean
Everyone: "Yeah, whatever."
Sansa: "The north is an independent Kingdom tho"
it's another Stark power and absolutely destroys any sense of balanced power across the continent, or is an entirely meaningless proclamation as Bran is literally aligned fully with Stark and the rightful ruler of Winterfell in this feudal rule set. They're not independent because they're the same power or they're heading to war in like 2 years because a king who can't have kids is as good as dead/useless in terms of dynasty and other high lords are going to usurp him to get what Sansa's got.

Also, Yara/Asha: you wanted the Iron Islands independent and Daenerys agreed to that as a condition of using your fleet, nothing to say?

Yara: "actually, I didn't want independence lol STARKS RULE!! STARK STARK STARK! My brother died for you guys even though treated him like absolute poo poo in the last seasons, love you branny boy"

Bronn: "lol I rule the reach now 😉"

I comfort myself in knowing that Bran's rule is basically bound to devolve into chaos, war and revolution within a year because the Isles and Dorne are 100% seceding from the Six Kingdoms, probably violently, the second they get the chance.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

a king who can't have kids is as good as dead/useless in terms of dynasty and other high lords are going to usurp him to get what Sansa's got.

I guess he can warg into someone and knock his wife up that way. Does that count?
My knowledge of paraplegics comes exclusively from wheelchair guy from Oz and apparently he can still gently caress so maybe Tyrion can design him a sorta sex swing he can dangle from like he did with the horse saddle? Or Pod can hold his hips and thrust for him?
Look I'm just saying nothings impossible in this magical world geoerge has created.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

banned from Starbucks posted:

My knowledge of paraplegics comes exclusively from wheelchair guy from Oz and apparently he can still gently caress

I thought you were referring to The Wizard of Oz and had an especially :wtc: moment before I remembered the TV show by that name.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Bran’s warging that dragon and using it as a weapon the second the Iron Islands secede.

He might even do it before then

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bobjr posted:

Bran’s warging that dragon and using it as a weapon the second the Iron Islands secede.

He might even do it before then

Drogon is 100% in Volantis or Asshai dropping Dany's corpse off at the nearest Red Temple to get her rezzed.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Even then it doesn't matter because they basically decided to be a weird elective monarchy, and hey, it's not like medieval Poland or the Holy Roman Empire were shitshows, right?

The moment Bran croaks or gets bored and retreats into a tree, you have Dorne and the Reach instantly at each other's throats (if they even wait that long), the Iron Isles basically exiled because they have been reaving the continent for ages and no one would ever vote for them, the Riverlands still a devastation, the North a rogue entity, and an empty spot in charge of the Westerlands, making whomever ends up controlling them the real power effectively, or precipitating a war over control of the richest region of the realm.

Oh, and a random illiterate mercenary as lord of the breadbasket of the realm, a place that gave the Tyrrels grief because -their- claim only went back some 900 years.

The 'happy' political ending in GoT would be one of those "-6 Stability, +50% rebellion chance, +100% revolt progress" catastrophe events in EU4.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Except asoiaf is actually CK3 and Bran would have stats so high he would easily pacify the realm trough diplomacy and/or espionage

edit: and inst he also basically immortal too?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nine-gear crow posted:

I comfort myself in knowing that Bran's rule is basically bound to devolve into chaos, war and revolution within a year because the Isles and Dorne are 100% seceding from the Six Kingdoms, probably violently, the second they get the chance.

The psuedo-immortal boy wizard who can warg in to people and control them would be a very bad person to try and rebel against. It seems more likely that Westeros finds itself in a period where the nobility are loving livid and want to rebel but can't because they know doing so results in their deaths and they'd need to be able to get their peasants and levies to join in. While an overdue winter is setting in.

The remaining leadership of the major families either end up supporting him or knowing enough about him to understand the Very Bad Things that will happen if they don't fall in line. This also assumes anyone wants to rebel after years of fighting that has likely devastated their resources (right before winter sets in). I think the only area that isn't hosed up by the fighting is Dorne and considering the leader of that region was murdered by his daughters I'm going to guess they aren't exactly in a "rebel against Bran" kind of shape anyways and whomever did end up in charge after the dust settled is probably more than happy to play nice with Bran and not jump into a new war after whatever civil unrest just got settled (if it got settled).

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Who should be king? The immortal sorcerer who can at will make us kill ourselves or at least make us make poor decisions, or some other dude? Give me Emperor Leto please, I never thought anything different ever please don't read my mind/delve into my history.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

The psuedo-immortal boy wizard who can warg in to people and control them would be a very bad person to try and rebel against. It seems more likely that Westeros finds itself in a period where the nobility are loving livid and want to rebel but can't because they know doing so results in their deaths and they'd need to be able to get their peasants and levies to join in. While an overdue winter is setting in.

The remaining leadership of the major families either end up supporting him or knowing enough about him to understand the Very Bad Things that will happen if they don't fall in line. This also assumes anyone wants to rebel after years of fighting that has likely devastated their resources (right before winter sets in). I think the only area that isn't hosed up by the fighting is Dorne and considering the leader of that region was murdered by his daughters I'm going to guess they aren't exactly in a "rebel against Bran" kind of shape anyways and whomever did end up in charge after the dust settled is probably more than happy to play nice with Bran and not jump into a new war after whatever civil unrest just got settled (if it got settled).

Yes and no.

It is only a matter of time before his nobles decide that his ability to ruin them means he will inevitably do so (as they would in his position) and take other means to gently caress him over. I'd assume through making Sansa look like an ineffectual idiot so he has to step in on her side and provokes another civil war.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I mean there's no way George meant for the ending to be "and then they elected the correct person king and all was well". The fundamental point of his whole political system is that there is no stable state, there is no rightful king, fortunae rota volvitur and so on.

So "it won't be stable for long" is not really a criticism, if anything the show should have made that MORE clear.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

The book should end with some random house rising to the top in name only because that would be the only candidate enough of the powerful houses would agree on - mirroring the start of House Baratheon, just in an even more unstable rule

gently caress, why do I even bother to have an opinion on this. It's like my math teacher in university said when talking about bad sample size collection in statistics. "It's meaningless"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Houses ranked in order of people I would want to live under:

Beesbury
Tyrell
Martell
Lannister
Stark
Arryn
Baratheon
Greyjoy
Targaryen
Tully

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Houses ranked in order of people I would want to live under:

Beesbury

Gods be good…

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Reddit OP is the Idiot King. This is a worse take than denying that ~*DARKSTAR*~ is Azor Azai

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes and no.

It is only a matter of time before his nobles decide that his ability to ruin them means he will inevitably do so (as they would in his position) and take other means to gently caress him over. I'd assume through making Sansa look like an ineffectual idiot so he has to step in on her side and provokes another civil war.

Everything about Sansa makes me think she'll do that just fine on her own.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I have no doubt.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think Sansa could hypothetically have turned cool if nobody who wrote ASOAIF or GOT wrote her

I was legit rooting for her. She’s my favourite Starke by a wide margin.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think Sansa could hypothetically have turned cool if nobody who wrote ASOAIF or GOT wrote her

I was legit rooting for her. She’s my favourite Starke by a wide margin.

I’m team Shaggy Dog.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Made a big ole deal about finding the dire wolf pups for each Stark kid and then most just die offscreen or run away. Feel like there should have been something cool that could have been done. But, you know, Gurm.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

Made a big ole deal about finding the dire wolf pups for each Stark kid and then most just die offscreen or run away. Feel like there should have been something cool that could have been done. But, you know, Gurm.

I mean in the books only 2 of them are dead right? Robb’s as part of his gently caress up at the Red Wedding, Sansa’s as part of the heavy foreshadowing of the war to come in the first book (as well as showing Joffrey’s sadism). In both cases it’s like a major deal.

Ghost, Shaggy Dog and Summer are still with their original owners and seemingly providing solid help. Nymeria has become a legend and is leading a massive pack stalking the river lands.

Like to be fair to George he made them cool and I trust they would all have had powerful moments in the remainder of the series, it’s more that he just stopped writing forever. The show doing dick all with them and then killing them off off-screen is because the show just sucked and coasted off the big moments George wrote for them (see also: not letting Barristan do dick all series and then having some newsies with switchblades kill him)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean in the books only 2 of them are dead right? Robb’s as part of his gently caress up at the Red Wedding, Sansa’s as part of the heavy foreshadowing of the war to come in the first book (as well as showing Joffrey’s sadism). In both cases it’s like a major deal.

Ghost, Shaggy Dog and Summer are still with their original owners and seemingly providing solid help. Nymeria has become a legend and is leading a massive pack stalking the river lands.

Like to be fair to George he made them cool and I trust they would all have had powerful moments in the remainder of the series, it’s more that he just stopped writing forever. The show doing dick all with them and then killing them off off-screen is because the show just sucked and coasted off the big moments George wrote for them (see also: not letting Barristan do dick all series and then having some newsies with switchblades kill him)

Lady's death also foreshadow's Sansa's arc of sacrificing her Stark-ness to ingratiate herself to Joffrey and Cersei, as she becomes the least Stark of the Starks while also becoming the only one able to actually play the Game of Thrones successfully because all her siblings, cousins and adult relations in her life are either idiots or magically-hosed weirdos.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 29, 2024

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Invalid Validation posted:

Would you say your expectations were subverted?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They might as well have cut Rickon from the show itself.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bobjr posted:

They might as well have cut Rickon from the show itself.

There was a whole arc planned, but it got shot down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Xiahou Dun posted:

There was a whole arc planned, but it got shot down.

Shoulda zig-zagged