Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Im going to go to my grave upset and nonstop posting that Death Guard have been skipped over in every chaos supplement so far in 8th. I know we are a separate army, but we need the help more than regular CSM at this point. At least throw us a bone and let DG field the new daemon engines or something!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
At the weekend I had an amusing game using a DA Greenwing list built around the new stuff I'd painted in the last month; Hellblasters, Leviathan dread, 'Primaris' Azreal, an Impulsor plus 3 Assassins. They were backed up by a Devastator firebase and some Intercessors & Scouts. According to the immutable laws of New Model Syndrome, most of that stuff had to die. Luckily my opponent was playing his Chaos Knights codex for the first time, giving him a full list of New Model Syndrome.

He went first, focusing down the Hellblasters who - despite sitting next to Azreal - literally couldn't make a saving throw to save their lives. My lascannon / WftDA plasma cannon Devastators retaliated by inflicting exactly the right number of wounds needed to obliterate the Knight Rampager barrelling towards them and the Knight Despoiler warlord holding his backfield objective . I chipped away wounds anywhere else I could, including a comedy Scout sergeant with double plasma pistols who managed to land 4 wounds on an Armiger without blowing himself up.

Turn two saw another Rampager make it into my lines, cutting down the remaining Hellblasters with ease. Some desperate volleys left him on 7 wounds, but still able to wreak havoc if not finished off with a desperate hail mary charge. That charge came from Azreal, who managed to land exactly 7 unsaved wounds on the Knight - which promptly exploded in the middle of my other newly painted units, killing a Vindicare, Ancient and badly wounding most of the others. In my opponent's following turn he easily finished off the Impulsor... which of course exploded. That killed Azreal, a Lieutenant, some Intercessors plus a Chaos Armiger.

The Knight Descrator in the centre expected to make easy work of the Eversor assassin running towards the centre objective, but thanks to Hypermetabolism only managed to land 2 wounds on him. Using a Stimm Overload the assassin let loose a flurry of Neutro-gauntlet attacks, which are inexplicably quite effective against a 30-foot robot. That was enough to take its remaining few wounds and secure the objective.

By turn 5 he only has a single Armiger standing, which pulls back onto an objective out of sight of my Devastators to try and force a tie. My only option is to try and swamp him with the surviving Scouts & Intercessors, who with the help of the badly damaged Leviathan chip away a handful of wounds but lose the Scout sergeant in a minor plasma incident. With two wounds left on the Knight the only option is another desperate charge, this time from the Culexus assassin. This Halloween-masked motherfucker easily manages to make the 8" distance and copies his Eversor buddy by landing precisely two wounds to table the Chaos player in the final phase of the final turn. Chaos Marine Dark Angel victory!

xtothez fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 12, 2019

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Im going to go to my grave upset and nonstop posting that Death Guard have been skipped over in every chaos supplement so far in 8th. I know we are a separate army, but we need the help more than regular CSM at this point. At least throw us a bone and let DG field the new daemon engines or something!!

I'm crossing my 11 fingers, 2 tentacles and 6 toes that all these crazy rumours about cult marine troops (Plague, Noise etc.) going up to 2W are legit (along with the now too late point increase on bearers).

Side question. I'm planning on running something similar to the Goonhammer DG/Morty list where Necrosius leads one battalion, and a Purge Sorceror leads a Nurgle Spearhead with the PBCs so he can Warptime Morty, Prescience other thing. Do these guys read ok?

Made a Necrosius counts as out of the SMHs3 Standard Bearer (because who needs standards). And the Plaguecaster is in a different colour scheme (same scheme as my Kill Team DG) to differentiate him from the rest of the army so he's a Purge Chaos Sorceror. Would that cause confusion to anyone?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sorry to pop into this thread but does GW typically put its preorders up at a certain time? They vastly underestimated how many people wanted the last limited Sister model and ran out in like twenty minutes at my local store so I don't want to have that happen again. Even if the Sister starter box is probably not the best deal (by GW standards it seems fine and I don't mind getting the book) I've been waiting for new miniatures for 15 years so I really want it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Radish posted:

Sorry to pop into this thread but does GW typically put its preorders up at a certain time? They vastly underestimated how many people wanted the last limited Sister model and ran out in like twenty minutes at my local store so I don't want to have that happen again. Even if the Sister starter box is probably not the best deal (by GW standards it seems fine and I don't mind getting the book) I've been waiting for new miniatures for 15 years so I really want it.

It's always 10am local time. For the US they use PST.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Radish posted:

Preorders on the GW site open on Saturdays; I think around noon local time. The sisters box is this upcoming Saturday, the 15th.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So 1 pm Eastern? Thanks!!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I love my Mechanicus and I've been having a lot of fun with them, I'm almost up to 1500 points and after that I'll probably just pick up a Knight to make it to 2000.

But my one complaint is that the army only really has one way to play. It feels like most lists are some variation of the static gunline with a bunch of overlapping auras, and gameplay is almost entirely in the shooting phase with only a few exceptions. I've done my best to mix it up a bit, with assassins and sicarians and dragoons (although I'm not a fan of transports) to be a little more mobile, but the core still relies on Kastelan robots and Dunecrawlers deployed around some tech priest castle and screened by rangers and Kataphrons. Having a magnetised Knight to try a few different things will be nice but won't change the fundamental character of the army I think.

It's fun and I'll keep playing them, but for my next army I want to basically do the exact opposite so I actually get to play in the other phases of the game. I'm looking for a faction which is mobile and assaulty, and preferably not overly reliant on horde units (I've painted a lot of Skitarii), and has a psychic phase or at least something like it.

I've been looking at Genestealer Cults, because their sneakiness and mobility and hard-hitting assault units really appeal to me. I love the cult ambush thing and how it plays totally differently to anyone else, I love everything Tyranids and their apparently-good psychic powers. The only problem is their high model count (and high £££ cost, 5 acolytes for £25?) and I'm not insanely into the models like I am with Mechanicus. Except the dirt bikes, which are rad.

Besides that, are there any other highly mobile armies with good assault and some psychic? I don't know the non-Imperium armies that well, I know Orks are very choppy but have even higher model counts, I know you can run Genestealer-heavy Tyranid lists but they're pretty bad, I love the aesthetics of Tau and Necrons but I think their playstyles are much too close to the gun-line that I'm used to. Space Marines are a fallback choice because I know you can find a chapter that plays in whatever way you want, but everyone around me plays Marines so I'm trying to avoid them if possible. I get the impression Eldar and Drukhari are both very mobile and vehicle-heavy which might be nice? I have no idea what Chaos Marines do at all, just know that Lord Discordants are very scary and Thousand Sons have some neat teleporting tricks if you like blocks of 30 tzaangors.

Does anyone want to sell me on their favourite army?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Depends on the strat. Some are per use, some are per CP. Usually it's per use when it's reacting to your opponent's CP usage, and per CP when it's for your own. However they FAQ'ed it a while back that generally, you can't get back more than 1 CP a turn, regardless of source explicitly to shut down CP farming with very few exceptions.

Isn't it once per battle phase, not turn?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

slut chan posted:

Isn't it once per battle phase, not turn?

No. Once per battle round, which is a full turn for both players.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

At the weekend I had an amusing game using a DA Greenwing list built around the new stuff I'd painted in the last month; Hellblasters, Leviathan dread, 'Primaris' Azreal, an Impulsor plus 3 Assassins. They were backed up by a Devastator firebase and some Intercessors & Scouts. According to the immutable laws of New Model Syndrome, most of that stuff had to die. Luckily my opponent was playing his Chaos Knights codex for the first time, giving him a full list of New Model Syndrome.

He went first, focusing down the Hellblasters who - despite sitting next to Azreal - literally couldn't make a saving throw to save their lives. My lascannon / WftDA plasma cannon Devastators retaliated by inflicting exactly the right number of wounds needed to obliterate the Knight Rampager barrelling towards them and the Knight Despoiler warlord holding his backfield objective . I chipped away wounds anywhere else I could, including a comedy Scout sergeant with double plasma pistols who managed to land 4 wounds on an Armiger without blowing himself up.

Turn two saw another Rampager make it into my lines, cutting down the remaining Hellblasters with ease. Some desperate volleys left him on 7 wounds, but still able to wreak havoc if not finished off with a desperate hail mary charge. That charge came from Azreal, who managed to land exactly 7 unsaved wounds on the Knight - which promptly exploded in the middle of my other newly painted units, killing a Vindicare, Ancient and badly wounding most of the others. In my opponent's following turn he easily finished off the Impulsor... which of course exploded. That killed Azreal, a Lieutenant, some Intercessors plus a Chaos Armiger.

The Knight Descrator in the centre expected to make easy work of the Eversor assassin running towards the centre objective, but thanks to Hypermetabolism only managed to land 2 wounds on him. Using a Stimm Overload the assassin let loose a flurry of Neutro-gauntlet attacks, which are inexplicably quite effective against a 30-foot robot. That was enough to take its remaining few wounds and secure the objective.

By turn 5 he only has a single Armiger standing, which pulls back onto an objective out of sight of my Devastators to try and force a tie. My only option is to try and swamp him with the surviving Scouts & Intercessors, who with the help of the badly damaged Leviathan chip away a handful of wounds but lose the Scout sergeant in a minor plasma incident. With two wounds left on the Knight the only option is another desperate charge, this time from the Culexus assassin. This Halloween-masked motherfucker easily manages to make the 8" distance and copies his Eversor buddy by landing precisely two wounds to table the Chaos player in the final phase of the final turn. Chaos Marine Dark Angel victory!

Great BR, thank you.

Do you know what the terrain piece at 2:00 in your photo is? The tower with the circular decks? I like the look of it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Boing posted:

If you're looking for variable play styles, it's all about Marines right now. Make up your own color scheme and you can be whatever you want on a game to game basis. Want hard hitting assault guys? Today I'm White Scars. Flexible and mobile infantry? Now I'm Ultramarines. All the tanks, planes, and Dreads? Gimme those Iron Hands. No one can switch playstyles as easily or as well as Codex Marines 2.0.

If you're dead set on avoiding being a Marine, though, then Aeldari is the way to go. You can make into a lot of different variations, between the plane heavy Craftworld lists, to Harlequin biker assaults, to Drukhari Talos spam. Or Soup them all together at the same time!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/12/faith-fury-chapter-focus-black-templarsgw-homepage-post-2/

Black Templar preview up, get ready to purge with your kin.
It really is Codex Supplement Black Templar from what I can understand. Not sure why they didn't bother just releasing it separately unless the page count wasn't worth it.
Or they had no ideas for a Primaris exclusive tie-in model to go with it. :v:
A shame since I'd love a Primaris Emperor's Champion.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Massively xenophobic attackers using shock and awe? :thunk:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
My favorite part about this release is how the loyalist chapter gets 15 pages dedicated to it and loving chaos legions get five pages each lol

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TBF the Templars became a legion through the "always on crusade" loophole.

Really looking forward to the Emperor's Children update, though.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

At least one or two pages of pure fluff per legion, the three actual rules pages are going to be broken up by giant pictures and quotes recycled from codices from prior editions, and two whole pages of worthless tactical objective and name generator filler

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/12/faith-fury-chapter-focus-black-templarsgw-homepage-post-2/

Black Templar preview up, get ready to purge with your kin.
It really is Codex Supplement Black Templar from what I can understand. Not sure why they didn't bother just releasing it separately unless the page count wasn't worth it.

Knights of Sigismund seems really, really good.

Re-rolling any or all of the dice for charges seems really, really good.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

moths posted:

Really looking forward to the Emperor's Children update, though.

You can soon rest assured that your warlord with the generated name Humongo Dongo will be able to score victory points by taking the space coke artefact which is a daemon weapon that causes you to lose the game on a 1+ roll because high risk high reward

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Are there going to be Bigly Templars?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

Are there going to be Bigly Templars?

Not this time around by the looks of it. None of the characters have crossed the Rubicon and they haven't announced a Primaris character to go along with this book.

In other news, first sisters rules preview up.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/12/battle-sisters-on-the-battlefield-part-1gw-homepage-post-1/

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Boing posted:

Besides that, are there any other highly mobile armies with good assault and some psychic? I don't know the non-Imperium armies that well, I know Orks are very choppy but have even higher model counts, I know you can run Genestealer-heavy Tyranid lists but they're pretty bad, I love the aesthetics of Tau and Necrons but I think their playstyles are much too close to the gun-line that I'm used to. Space Marines are a fallback choice because I know you can find a chapter that plays in whatever way you want, but everyone around me plays Marines so I'm trying to avoid them if possible. I get the impression Eldar and Drukhari are both very mobile and vehicle-heavy which might be nice? I have no idea what Chaos Marines do at all, just know that Lord Discordants are very scary and Thousand Sons have some neat teleporting tricks if you like blocks of 30 tzaangors.

By 'pretty bad' do you mean those models look dated? Ruleswise Genestealers are nuts if you can use them right, to the point that I found a dice rolling app specifically to use their 80 attacks on a charge more often.

But honestly the only real downside of Tyranids is some of the older infantry kits. The newer plastics like Hive Guard & Zoanthropes are awesome models, they can do assault, psychic and shooty all pretty well, and they're about to get new rules in PA3 next month. Plus the upcoming Xmas battleforce is a great starting point full of stuff you would actually use.

Seldom Posts posted:

Great BR, thank you.

Do you know what the terrain piece at 2:00 in your photo is? The tower with the circular decks? I like the look of it.

Sorry, afraid I don't know. All the terrain belongs to my local club who have spent probably 10 years building it up from all over.

Cooked Auto posted:

PA will go out of print sooner or later, so I really wouldn't be shocked to see these rules reprinted as a codex supplement later on with some new bigly templars.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

xtothez posted:

PA will go out of print sooner or later, so I really wouldn't be shocked to see these rules reprinted as a codex supplement later on with some new bigly templars.

I fully expect that to happen yeah. Even if that is like a year or so down the line.
Which by then I hope they've gotten rid of the DA/SW/BA codexes and just released supplements versions instead. Which is really the best way to handle updating those in my meaning.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/12/battle-sisters-on-the-battlefield-part-1gw-homepage-post-1/

Nice

quote:

Acts of Faith
Each time you earn a Miracle dice, you roll it and add it to your pool, while retaining its score. You can then expend these dice in place of certain rolls (hit and wound rolls, saving throws, and more) later in the battle to ensure you get the exact result you need, when you need it. How about that for your own divine intervention?!
Picture the scene – you’ve just struck a high-value enemy target with an attack that inflicts D6 Damage and it has 6 Wounds left. You could trust to fate, or even a Command Re-roll, and hope for the best… or nonchalantly burn a 6 from your pool of Miracle Dice to score a 6 automatically! What about if you’re facing a tough Morale test? Use a 1 from your Miracle Dice pool and pass it with ease!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

Not this time around by the looks of it. None of the characters have crossed the Rubicon and they haven't announced a Primaris character to go along with this book.

In other news, first sisters rules preview up.

Acts of faith look insanely good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Miracle dice look fun as hell.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

xtothez posted:

By 'pretty bad' do you mean those models look dated? Ruleswise Genestealers are nuts if you can use them right, to the point that I found a dice rolling app specifically to use their 80 attacks on a charge more often.

But honestly the only real downside of Tyranids is some of the older infantry kits. The newer plastics like Hive Guard & Zoanthropes are awesome models, they can do assault, psychic and shooty all pretty well, and they're about to get new rules in PA3 next month. Plus the upcoming Xmas battleforce is a great starting point full of stuff you would actually use.

No, I actually like the old infantry kits like hormagaunts and warriors and genestealers, I just thought that they were competitively dead in the Shooting Edition and couldn't deal with marines etc. at all.

I love the bugs so I'll see what PA3 and Chapter Approved does for them. I can always mix and match them with GSCs as well!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Genestealers are a bit of a toss up and a massive investment. To properly support them you’re talking a minimum of 490pts for 20 of them and the Swarmlord for a one-trick genestealing pony. Most players will know how to deploy defensively against it and if they get left out they’ll fall quickly to the massive number of boltgun shots marines can put out. They can be fun but it’s a big risk and doesn’t pay off often.

Tyranid generally are in a weird spot where they have a few good units that literally carry the army filled with mostly bad choices. That said PA3 and CA2019 is coming and we might see some major improvements (though I’m holding my breath).

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Let's be honest here the bulk of the third awakening book is going to be about the marine faction

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Combat + psychers screams genestealer cult to me.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I was really not expecting them to get the AoS Tzeentch destiny dice mechanic.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

Let's be honest here the bulk of the third awakening book is going to be about the marine faction

Your gimmick sucks

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Eifert Posting posted:

Combat + psychers screams genestealer cult to me.

There’s only so far a Magus and Patriarch will get you. They have great powers but only being able to cast one hurts a lot.

Hive Tyrants shred in melee and can cast two (or three if you’re feeling mean).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Sisters special rules also seem really strong.

Gambling by rolling for two Sacred Rites seems like it might be crazy good, assuming the other rites are of similar high quality as the examples.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 12, 2019

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I could see folks who like to think they are **//tactical masterminds\\** gravitating to them to minimize random chance. And talking about it. A lot.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

It's a little odd that the ability is attached to zealous nuns rather than to actual tactical masterminds though, I feel like it'd be much more at home in a Tzeentch faction or something.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Boing posted:

It's a little odd that the ability is attached to zealous nuns rather than to actual tactical masterminds though, I feel like it'd be much more at home in a Tzeentch faction or something.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Tyranid generally are in a weird spot where they have a few good units that literally carry the army filled with mostly bad choices. That said PA3 and CA2019 is coming and we might see some major improvements (though I’m holding my breath).
Yeah, I don't see Tyranids getting fixed without a brand new codex and a ton of changed unit entries. They're just boring as heck in 8th which is probably a result of being an early book and no one in the studio caring about Tyranids. Points changes and build-your-own hivefleet rules won't fix that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Boing posted:

it's the Emperor's Will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Imposing his will on events (then running out of miracles at an inopportune time) is extremely the Emperor's jam.