Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

repugnant posted:

My initial reaction to Godrick was "that is bad rear end and way too over the top" and then when he did the thing with the dragon I was like "even badder rear end, even dumber". I loved it.

I love that stupid scene. The voice actor just goes all in on it it’s great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Rykard's VA is also really good imo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

verbal enema posted:

i'm realizing that my starting whatever item for incantations kinda sucks even though i think i have it +20

am i correct in that assesment i have like 45 faith to go with it

Mostly STR = Clawmark Seal

Faith <60 = Godslayer's Seal

Faith >60 = Erdtree Seal

Int/Fai = Golden Order Seal

Fai/Arc = Dragon Communism Seal

if you have another seal in your offhand you get its bonuses even if you're not using it to cast, so you can use the spell scaling on the right hand one and the passive boosts on the left. Works for staves too. Godslayer's is a real workhorse because you get it early and it boosts some of the best incants in the game

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Dragon Communism ftw

also ty also i dont think i have that seal lmao ill find it

e: godslayer's that is

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Try looking around in Castle Stormveil. Really get into all the nooks and crannies in there, poke around in the back rooms you might have initially missed

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Epic High Five posted:

Mostly STR = Clawmark Seal

Faith <60 = Godslayer's Seal

Faith >60 = Erdtree Seal

Int/Fai = Golden Order Seal

Fai/Arc = Dragon Communism Seal

if you have another seal in your offhand you get its bonuses even if you're not using it to cast, so you can use the spell scaling on the right hand one and the passive boosts on the left. Works for staves too. Godslayer's is a real workhorse because you get it early and it boosts some of the best incants in the game

The starting Finger Seal is the best one if you have low(<25) faith and aren't a strength build. Frenzied Flame Seal is best if you have a faith/quality build, with something like 25 str/40 faith/40 dex.

It's also worth noting that weapon buffs/healing only scale with the faith scaling of your seal. So if you're an 80 strength 15 faith build, then the Finger Seal will give you a better Electrify Armament then Clawmark Seal would.

Dragon Communion/Erdtree/Frenzied/Golden Order are also nice because they're weightless. If you're using mainly stuff that doesn't care about your incant scaling like Golden Vow or Flame Cleanse Me, then using one of those four is going to be best. You don't even need to meet the stat requirements of the seal, since falling short of those just sets the incant scaling to 60.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arcvasti posted:

The starting Finger Seal is the best one if you have low(<25) faith and aren't a strength build. Frenzied Flame Seal is best if you have a faith/quality build, with something like 25 str/40 faith/40 dex.

It's also worth noting that weapon buffs/healing only scale with the faith scaling of your seal. So if you're an 80 strength 15 faith build, then the Finger Seal will give you a better Electrify Armament then Clawmark Seal would.

Dragon Communion/Erdtree/Frenzied/Golden Order are also nice because they're weightless. If you're using mainly stuff that doesn't care about your incant scaling like Golden Vow or Flame Cleanse Me, then using one of those four is going to be best. You don't even need to meet the stat requirements of the seal, since falling short of those just sets the incant scaling to 60.

I'll have to tinker, until now I've only ever used those buffs you mentioned but I'm using the Clawmark and have been tinkering with Electrify Armament since I have the FP for it on my buff cycle and it's essentially free damage. Only offense I use Faith for is optic blast to kill birds and annoying fuckers, it's kukri for pulling

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Black Flame spells are good against basically anything since the lingering blackflame damage effect ignores all resistances, but yeah they can be horrifically strong against anything vulnerable to fire. I find that the trick is to not try to use black flame as a nuke - don't trade hits, just stay mobile and opportunistically lob fireballs whenever you have a good chance to do so. The attrition adds up really fast over the course of a fight.

yeah the trick is that you don't need to charge the fireball at all for it to do good damage. charging is more damage and therefore more fp efficient but you can hold off on doing it until you get a period of time you absolutely know is safe.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Henry, Serpentine Zealot

not to be confused with Henroy, Serpentine Zealot

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

No Dignity posted:

The adds in Henry the Married-Sixfold fight are bullshit, the combat system was never designed to fight that many wives at once :mad:
You only have to kill the second and fifth ones, though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Pompey Strabo was called the Butcher of Asculum so he had a fun knickname

His some Pompey the great was called the little butcher

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Very interested in running this str/int build as a sort of banished sorcerer type.

I only want to use 4 spells, including terra magica. Spells will supplement my heavy stone club. I'm thinking glintshard comet, stars of ruin, and spiral shard.

Any input on hard hitting cool spells that aren't night shard/comet? Unless those are just the GO TO damage spells thanks to Craightt.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

lite_sleepr posted:

Very interested in running this str/int build as a sort of banished sorcerer type.

I only want to use 4 spells, including terra magica. Spells will supplement my heavy stone club. I'm thinking glintshard comet, stars of ruin, and spiral shard.

Any input on hard hitting cool spells that aren't night shard/comet? Unless those are just the GO TO damage spells thanks to Craightt.

Carian slicer is great offhand for a build with a slow mainhand. It comes out super fast, does good damage, mana cheap. Very satisfying spell. Can also serve as a gateway drug to other melee sorceries like gavel and moonblade.

Or Loretta’s spells which are slow but basically a sniper rifle.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

lite_sleepr posted:

Rock throw does surprisingly good poise break damage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The grenade one, I think called glintstone cannon, is fun

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lite_sleepr posted:

I mean what you're describing is literally a Haima mage so their spells seem like natural fits. I don't think they're terribly efficient but it's the magic weapon equivalent of a colossal sword. One's a fuckoff huge hammer and the other is a fuckoff huge mortar iirc

edit - you also just get their full set in Altus off a single enemy, no need to farm like the rest

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Cannon of Haima, and yeah, it'll blast people right off their feet.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh and I'm pretty sure the curved great club has weirdly amazing magic scaling. The extra surface area lets you rub more magic juice into it I guess.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

skasion posted:

Carian slicer is great offhand for a build with a slow mainhand. It comes out super fast, does good damage, mana cheap. Very satisfying spell. Can also serve as a gateway drug to other melee sorceries like gavel and moonblade.

Or Loretta’s spells which are slow but basically a sniper rifle.

The stone club comes out real fast for a 1h mace.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Pompey Strabo was called the Butcher of Asculum so he had a fun knickname

His some Pompey the great was called the little butcher

reminds me of all the things the French press called Napoleone di Buonaparte

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s the “standard” model and probably like the third best option behind the ones that give bonuses to dragon communion/godskin incantations, bearing in mind the big bonus of incantations is that they don’t need as much levels to play with all your toys. What spells are you using, and on what enemy types?

Edit, beaten by a mile, disregard

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

lite_sleepr posted:

I've been tinkering with several int builds from str/int to dex/int to int/int for PvP purposes and I must say that poo poo is hard. Issue isn't so much damage, that you got aplenty, it's redundancy. Where incantations can offer utility, sorceries provide almost nothing but more damage at various ranges. So many different tools overlap and fill the same function you often end up not using them. The reason to invest in str is because of heavy weapons, but those require stamina and well.. strenght. Issue is, once you pick a proper weapon, the weapon AoWs oftentimes outperform the spells that now underperform and feel lackluster. Having stamina means less mind and having less mind means less spells. I ended up forgoing all spells to have powerstanced halberds and ice spear. A beast in melee, but not something you'd first picture when tinkering with str/int.

Instead of spells I suggest testing different magic/ice ashes of war to complement your build. Ice spear is a hell of a mid range burster. Glintblade phalanx, when put on a weapon does enough poise to stancebreak bigger enemies, completely surpasses the spell. Glintstone shard with the followup charge is always good. Then there's waves of darkness that is solid good.

If you stll insist on spells, carian piercer and greatsword are solid choises. I'm personally not fan of Haima school, but reports suggest they perform very well. Also, Rock sling is a good non-magical source of damage. My personal opinion is that Stars of ruin sucks.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

About to finish my first playthrough. Haven't burned the tree yet. Should I go for Ranni's ending or should I LET CHAOS TAKE THE WORLD?

I'm not 100% sure I'd do another full playthrough. At least not anytime soon, if that effects anything. And any ending I don't do I'll watch a video of.

Joke Miriam fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 14, 2023

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

carian slicer is a good fast, aggressive counterpart to big heavy weapons. because it acts like a melee attack it's one of the few non-powerstanced offhands that can do its own running and jumping attacks

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Joke Miriam posted:

About to finish my first playthrough. Haven't burned the tree yet. Should I go for Ranni's ending or should I LET CHAOS TAKE THE WORLD?

I'm not 100% sure I'd do another full playthrough. At least not anytime soon, if that effects anything. And any ending I don't do I'll watch a video of.

Ranni is the most satisfying ending in the game. The other one you listed is cool as well but the first has the cooler story, side characters, etc imo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Joke Miriam posted:

For your first playthrough, I'd avoid the Frenzied Flame ending simply because it means you'll get a couple less tasty lore-filled conversations with Melina. Your call, though - it's really more about what you think feels true to your character.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just before I commit to an ending, there's conflicting information on the various wiki's I could use help on- You can undo the Three Fingers affliction, and once you do that, you're again eligible for any other ending you like, correct? I'm just exploring the most options I can because I love this game and its world and don't want to lock myself into one ending if possible.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Just before I commit to an ending, there's conflicting information on the various wiki's I could use help on- You can undo the Three Fingers affliction, and once you do that, you're again eligible for any other ending you like, correct? I'm just exploring the most options I can because I love this game and its world and don't want to lock myself into one ending if possible.

Yes, though to do so involves being very completionist and still results in the change with Melina darth walrus mentioned

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

If you go Chaos you get to have a cool fire for a head and look at some cool fire, because the world is on fire (and it is cool looking). If you go Ranni you get to take your nebulously corporeal Welsh wife on a honeymoon into space. So really it's just a matter of preference

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

maybe don't describe the endings for a first time player that is using spoilers lol

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

you can savescum all the endings in one go if you just want to see them all (at least on xbox, I assume it can be done elsewhere)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Just be aware canceling out the frenzied Flame ending involves defeating the most bullshit encounter in the entire game aside from that wolf on the moon plateau. However, you get the satisfaction of defeating the toughest boss in the coolest legacy dungeon.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

maybe don't describe the endings for a first time player that is using spoilers lol

I only described them in the broadest and most humorous terms, and only using details that you are explicitly told anyway during the course of the game (Shabriri is pretty forthright about his whole deal, and Ranni & Co. reference her plan more than once)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you go Chaos you get to have a cool fire for a head and look at some cool fire, because the world is on fire (and it is cool looking). If you go Ranni you get to take your nebulously corporeal Welsh wife on a honeymoon into space. So really it's just a matter of preference

Both sound pretty neat

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, basically AFAIK every other ending can be unlocked well in advance, simultaneously and it all boils down to which one you pick at the very end.

Frenzied Flame is the singular exception and it locks you out from the rest. Reversing it is permanent and takes weird steps because it was patched in after the fact IIRC.I

Also apparently there's actually a minor variation to it depending on when you get fingered.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

wolf on the plateau
ok I'm glad I'm not crazy in thinking that fight sucks

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

I got to volcano manor from the bottom of laya lucaria but now I can’t find a site of grave to get the hell out of here

Edit: finally found one up a ladder near the lava

dew worm fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 15, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

dew worm posted:

I got to volcano manor from the bottom of laya lucaria

wh-what?

also i cant stop using the stupid candlestick spear. its not a unique skill haverr why cant i change the art of war

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

dew worm posted:

I got to volcano manor from the bottom of laya lucaria but now I can’t find a site of grave to get the hell out of here

Traverse the volcanic cavern and carefully, make some precarious downwards drops, and you should find a grace eventually.

Or at least, that sounds right in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

verbal enema posted:

wh-what?

also i cant stop using the stupid candlestick spear. its not a unique skill haverr why cant i change the art of war

Y'know how you have to ride the waterwheel thing upwards to get to the Academy?

Ever wonder what might happen if you rode the other side all the way down?