Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Moly B. Denum posted:

If nvidia is willing to wait for RTX support to be widespread, then I'm happy to wait just as long before getting one of their GPUs again.

Personally, I'm just looking for something, anything, on their side to justify their crappy price inflation from last year, which I still haven't forgiven them for maintaining even after the crypto bubble burst. And if they don't bring it with 30xx cards, I am seriously considering to just switch to AMD aftermarket cards and call it a day.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

AMD or NVIDIA? Or generic demo of TSMC's interposer tech?

https://www.tsmc.com/english/newsEvents/blog_article_20190814.htm

Hah that guy who guessed it was Intel was right! (Me) brb going to make my own YouTube channel

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
do you have a scottish accent tho??

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/gamescom-2019-game-ready-driver/

New NV driver brings integer scaling, a low latency option akin to Radeon Anti-Lag, and an improved sharpening filter that no doubt borrows ideas from AMDs CAS.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gently caress. The integer scaling is only for RTX and 16xx cards

Which honestly feels a bit bullshit. The 1660 can integer scale but not a 980ti or 1080ti?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah that's kinda bullshit. Intels announcement was the same, they confirmed integer scaling is coming but only for their next gen iGPUs.

It might be that the newer architectures support "free" pixel doubling in the display encoder, but the performance cost of a compute-based fallback would be negligible.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Reasons to buy RTX card:
* That quake port
* Pixel games
* Maybe minecraft?
* Pretty reflections at hilarious FPS costs

:thunk:

E: Let's not forget that if you buy a fancy enough monitor it might even already be able to do integer scaling if it's fed an input signal that's half of its native resolution.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 20, 2019

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

repiv posted:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/gamescom-2019-game-ready-driver/

New NV driver brings integer scaling, a low latency option akin to Radeon Anti-Lag, and an improved sharpening filter that no doubt borrows ideas from AMDs CAS.

"To install, head on over to the GeForce Experience Drivers tab, starting at 6am PT on August 20th."

nothing

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Most people will never think to enable integer scaling anyway. There are a lot of cool features, but it's kind of hard to sell features people also have to manually enable.

jisforjosh posted:

"To install, head on over to the GeForce Experience Drivers tab, starting at 6am PT on August 20th."

nothing
You get the driver 40% later if you're on Pascal.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
When it's up the driver will be available GFE free here https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/150300

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's live in the GfE client now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol

https://twitter.com/TechPowerUp/status/1163809481777483776

edit: they pulled the driver to fix the installer

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 20, 2019

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
gently caress GFE for basically the entire time it's ever existed and been pushed. :argh:

I've been manually trimming down drivers and swapping the installation folder contents to avoid the wizard-nanny for the last year now, this is the kind of thing we really shouldn't treat as a joke

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GFE is fine? it lets me know when there are new drivers and otherwise i have everything else off. its no more annoying than the dumb logitech mouse driver to me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah I don't really get the GFE obsession. If you want to hate Nvidia for something, hate them for their insanely lovely drivers, not the platform they use to push them.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
So is the new drivers just available for 20-- and 16-- series?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

repiv posted:

The low latency option is just the Pre-rendered Frames and Threaded Optimization options combined (NVidia straight out said so). You could do "low latency" already by dropping the frame count to the minimum and disabling threaded optimizations in the control panel.

--edit:
Oooh, 30-bit color support on gamer cards.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 20, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

GFE is fine? it lets me know when there are new drivers and otherwise i have everything else off. its no more annoying than the dumb logitech mouse driver to me.

it requires a fuckin login and is stealing ~my data~

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I could put 128 GB of memory in my machine and not care about TSRs, run all of the game clients at once and not care. Or keep my running apps lean and get by with 16 GB of memory and never have a problem.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

More Minecraft RTX footage :fap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnAAcJhaAAM

gimme

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I'm thinking of buying an RTX 2080 ti pretty soon. Is there a new generation of video cards coming within the next few months that I should wait for instead? I want to be able to actually get 120 FPS at high/ultra settings on my 1440p ultrawide monitor, and I also want better performance out of NMS VR since I've been playing that a lot.

If a better video card isn't coming out within ~3 months or so, what's the best vendor for the RTX 2080 ti? I usually buy from Amazon for the 5% cashback, but return fraud/getting used as new seems to be VERY common according to the reviews, so I'm thinking of going with Newegg or something instead.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

I was using GFE primarily for the screenshot tool since it worked on anything and sometimes the filters plus the occasional other feature. Then suddenly it decided that me telling it to never change my in game settings meant to ALWAYS CHANGE MY IN GAME SETTINGS TO NVIDIA "OPTIMIZED" GARBAGE EVERY TIME I RESTART. This issue did not get fixed for at least a couple releases. So on top of the other reasons mentioned I'm never bothering with it again.

This was last year on a GTX 970.

This kind of thing is why I've saved up for the next gen replacement of the 2080 ti. Barring another ridiculous price jump. We'll see.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Butt Discussin posted:

I'm thinking of buying an RTX 2080 ti pretty soon. Is there a new generation of video cards coming within the next few months that I should wait for instead? I want to be able to actually get 120 FPS at high/ultra settings on my 1440p ultrawide monitor, and I also want better performance out of NMS VR since I've been playing that a lot.

If a better video card isn't coming out within ~3 months or so, what's the best vendor for the RTX 2080 ti? I usually buy from Amazon for the 5% cashback, but return fraud/getting used as new seems to be VERY common according to the reviews, so I'm thinking of going with Newegg or something instead.

Straight from EVGA 2080 Tis are 1000 dollars, Amazon mostly has vendors charging more than that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is there a way I can make custom resolutions created in nvidia control panel stick around? I have to keep re-creating it after it disappears, not sure if it is after a driver update or maybe some windows updates.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Cygni posted:

I prefer to keep on my tinfoil hat as a paranoid minimalist on software and stick to the ideal concept of a driver being just the thing that gets my GPU to tell my monitor what color my pixels should be, without all the extra telemetry and "value-add" software I don't need.

It's me, I should probably chill out because I really haven't had the time to play games recently anyways--but being invested in computer engineering and system architecture as a career has given me opinions that I have to blurt out in my sleep deprivation

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 20, 2019

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Butt Discussin posted:

Wait just a little longer, there has been a new type of chip listed in an AIDA 64 Beta that may hint at a 2080 Ti Super in the future.

Just linking the google translated online article from gamestar.de here.
Take with as many grains of salt as you feel necessary.

https://translate.google.com/transl...%2C3347923.html

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

I'd love have integer scaling for playing something like battlefield which doesn't handle well on my haswell + 970 system at 720p. I've got a 1440p monitor and I tried running the game at a lower resolution and a lower scale but it looked too blurry for my taste. I'd take sharp pixels over that any day. Guess I'll keep an eye out for a 1660ti open box deal at microcenter...

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
I don't think this is an RTX 2080 Ti Super. The RTX Titan uses the full TU102 GPU and performs within a few percent of the 2080 Ti in games. Even if you goosed up the RAM a little, you're still looking at a very small improvement.

If it exists at all, it could be a RTX Titan revision. The people in the market for that GPU are obviously not price conscious and aren't dissuaded by Nvidia releasing a new version every calendar year. In fact, as I've said before, there has been a Titan every year since it was introduced and RTX Titan released in 2018.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

K8.0 posted:

Yeah I don't really get the GFE obsession. If you want to hate Nvidia for something, hate them for their insanely lovely drivers, not the platform they use to push them.

There is no reason that I should be required to log into anything in order to set a framerate cap on my games..... unless NVidia is intent on using it as coercion to harvest my data and market at me.

So they can go gently caress right off.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just feed it a throwaway email address.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

taqueso posted:

Is there a way I can make custom resolutions created in nvidia control panel stick around? I have to keep re-creating it after it disappears, not sure if it is after a driver update or maybe some windows updates.

This kept happening to me and the culprit was vibranceGUI. If you don't use that app then it's probably something else that modifies the colours of your screen.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

SwissArmyDruid posted:

There is no reason that I should be required to log into anything in order to set a framerate cap on my games..... unless NVidia is intent on using it as coercion to harvest my data and market at me.

I believe you could just use Nvidia Inspector, although the driver framerate cap isn't worth dick to begin with and you really should just use RTSS.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Just feed it a throwaway email address.

https://flashbox.5july.org/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just saw on the EVGA forums (I swear I just landed there from a google search) this code on the EVGA store should be good for 5-10% off any purchase:

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
New Nvidia drivers integer scaling is a big improvement when playing 1080p games on a 4K tv, albeit even with a 1660 I rarely have to go down to 1080p to get ~60fps, prefer to just go 1440 and drop a few settings so not sure how much use I'll get out of it.

The new sharpen filter in Nvidia Freestyle is nice in that it has a low GPU hit (seemingly around 2% GPU utilization from at least according to afterburner) and looks good, a nice option for the games where reshade won't work (like Shadow of the Tomb Raider in DX12 where its blurry temporal AA really needs it). Still though the list of Freestyle-compatible games is pretty low at least going from my library, is there a recent method to force Freestyle on non-supported games that works? I'm aware of the Ansel compatibility flag hack with Nvidia inspector but that stopped working with newer drivers ages ago.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Will my gtx 1060 get that update?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Statutory Ape posted:

Will my gtx 1060 get that update?

Well it's just a new driver so of course, but integer scaling only works on the 16x series and up.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Lube banjo posted:

Hah that guy who guessed it was Intel was right! (Me) brb going to make my own YouTube channel

That's an impressive big thing. What does it do?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Looks like Intel’s competitor to Google Tenaor Processing Unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Huge fps improvement in Apex on my 2070S/3900x at 3440x1440. What wizardry is this new driver?

Had some settings cranked down or even set to off to get close to 100 fps (70 when jumping off the dropship), now with almost everything maxed I get 100 when dropping and 120+ on the ground.

Is...this what fine wine tastes like?