Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

2house2fly posted:

It sounds like a fun gag, like how souls games will have an empty room with a collectible in it and you get knocked into a pit when you go for it. Or when New Vegas has DANGER AHEAD signs near the starting zone so you go "pff whatever" and stride into Quarry Junction, the hardest area in the entire game

And then you learn, and go elsewhere. I sure did after getting eviscerated in quarry junction. Sure put the game down in a huff if you want, or play on. poo poo happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm not a fan of the bits in Brave Fencer Musashi where you have to stop the Steamwood exploding. I just did the first of what looks like multiple rounds of that event (as I know it happens again later but harder) and it's just kind of annoying dealing with the valves.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm not a fan of the bits in Brave Fencer Musashi where you have to stop the Steamwood exploding. I just did the first of what looks like multiple rounds of that event (as I know it happens again later but harder) and it's just kind of annoying dealing with the valves.

You do have to do it again later but just the once if that helps.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Getting absolutely owned by a game rules and developers should be dicks more often

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
But if Dark Souls does it it's ok.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why isn't there a Dark-Souls-But-You-Are-A-Cat game?

Edit: the bosses scratch you behind the ears before attempting to shoo you out of the way so they can fight the Hero. Emphasis on 'attempting'.

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 08:19 on Jul 29, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Man, I can tell Into the Breach is a good game, basically each turn is a puzzle game to solve (sometimes without solutions), it's great.

But I have such a hard time playing it because the consequences of failure being a whole failed timeline and all that weighs on my mind...for some incrediy stupid reason. Like, if losing meant simply your mechs retreating to base and attempting to fight off the Vek threat again, it'd be fine.

I have absolutely no idea why I am like this, and I'm sure after failing once or twice I'll be fine, but right now I'm so worried about failure that I'm finding it hard to play.

it's weird but i kinda agree; the consequences of the slightest failure being "everyone dies" instead of "some people die" makes it feel way worse even if it's mechanically identical. if it's any consolation another team of mechs might show up in the timeline you abandoned

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Croccers posted:

But if Dark Souls does it it's ok.

Honestly that's lowkey one of the most annoying parts of Soulsikes (most recently Elden Ring) for me. If I get killed by some big rear end monster that's just part of a dangerous world, that's usually fair enough. If I get killed because it's clear some dev was just feeling like being a dick, that makes me roll my eyes and want to just hit alt+F4.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

2house2fly posted:

It sounds like a fun gag, like how souls games will have an empty room with a collectible in it and you get knocked into a pit when you go for it. Or when New Vegas has DANGER AHEAD signs near the starting zone so you go "pff whatever" and stride into Quarry Junction, the hardest area in the entire game

Ironically, I generally laugh at the shenanigans Dark Souls pulls because I fully expect to get jerked around by From and it fits the games. (Though even then they usually don't shoot for instant death.)

Weirdly enough, even Bethesda managed to bamboozle me during the Shivering Isles, where there's a spot that's basically identical to the big pit trap in DS2's Shaded Woods and falling for it gets you stuck going through a whole rear end side dungeon. (Less fun there because it was during the low point of the DLC where the combat was a slog and there's very little purpose to the dungeon beyond hiding a secret collectible, but eh.)

Morpheus posted:

Man, I can tell Into the Breach is a good game, basically each turn is a puzzle game to solve (sometimes without solutions), it's great.

But I have such a hard time playing it because the consequences of failure being a whole failed timeline and all that weighs on my mind...for some incrediy stupid reason. Like, if losing meant simply your mechs retreating to base and attempting to fight off the Vek threat again, it'd be fine.

I have absolutely no idea why I am like this, and I'm sure after failing once or twice I'll be fine, but right now I'm so worried about failure that I'm finding it hard to play.

I wouldn't say it puts me off of playing the game, but the greater implications of all the timeline hopping stuff can get pretty nightmarish, yeah.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Don't all the time pods come from other timelines? I think one landed and pilot metioned it came from a failed one :ohdear:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
What makes Into The Breach kinda stressful for me is that when you mess up too badly (often in ways that you aren't entirely your fault), you either lose a pilot or you fail some of the mission objectives. Either option makes you less effective in the future. The extra bonus for a "perfect" island, in particular, means that the first failed objective feels really bad, and makes me want to immediately abandon the timeline unless I'm already pretty far in. That sort of makes playing it on higher difficulties unfun for me.

I got all the steam achievements and unlocked the "secret squad" and now I'm probably done with the game forever.

ilmucche posted:

Don't all the time pods come from other timelines? I think one landed and pilot metioned it came from a failed one :ohdear:

I think they're all supposed to be from failed timelines.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I got Remnant of the Ashes for free and I'm through my first boss and I think it's ok? I'm probably playing it wrong, it feels almost souls-like with the approach and retreat/dodge type combat.

My gripe is that it is already starting to feel too same-y. I don't know if I should be expecting different guns or armor but I've just been upgrading the base stuff so I'm now fighting the same enemies using the same guns and armor while everything ticks up a few notches periodically. I'm gonna stick with it because it seems like there's some crazier stuff later but I'm already bored with the drab gray-red ruined subway vibe.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Think of it this way: there are an infinite number of timelines. In those infinite timelines, there are an infinite number of timeliness where you fail, but there are also an infinite number of timelines where you succeed. It's just a matter of trying until you find the ones where you win.

Also, the timelines where you fail? They were full of jerks anyways. Just a bunch of people who steal candy from babies and kick puppies all day. They also all said they think your pants make your butt look fat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Into The Breach should have had an unlock or achievement for winning with no pilots slotted.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I just ignore the infinite timelines concept whenever it comes up in fiction because it renders everything pointless.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Phigs posted:

I just ignore the infinite timelines concept whenever it comes up in fiction because it renders everything pointless.

tellem Little Alex Horne

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Phigs posted:

You do

in this one

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BioEnchanted posted:

Woof, yeah, I remember that part.
drat it felt good when I finally got the clear though.

BFM was a really good game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

What makes Into The Breach kinda stressful for me is that when you mess up too badly (often in ways that you aren't entirely your fault), you either lose a pilot or you fail some of the mission objectives. Either option makes you less effective in the future. The extra bonus for a "perfect" island, in particular, means that the first failed objective feels really bad, and makes me want to immediately abandon the timeline unless I'm already pretty far in. That sort of makes playing it on higher difficulties unfun for me.

I got all the steam achievements and unlocked the "secret squad" and now I'm probably done with the game forever.

I think they're all supposed to be from failed timelines.

Are you counting the new content as part of having got all the achievements?

I don't think they're necessarily all from failed timelines - after all, when you win all your pilots have to Breach out too. There's no other escape from the hive than jumping to another timeline to do the war all over again.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I got Remnant of the Ashes for free and I'm through my first boss and I think it's ok? I'm probably playing it wrong, it feels almost souls-like with the approach and retreat/dodge type combat.

My gripe is that it is already starting to feel too same-y. I don't know if I should be expecting different guns or armor but I've just been upgrading the base stuff so I'm now fighting the same enemies using the same guns and armor while everything ticks up a few notches periodically. I'm gonna stick with it because it seems like there's some crazier stuff later but I'm already bored with the drab gray-red ruined subway vibe.

There’s a lot of very exotic weapons and armor sets in the game, but a weirdly high percentage of them come from obtuse secrets, and even a lot of the more straightforward stuff isn’t something you’ll see in a single run through the campaign and you’ll need to do adventures to get the dungeons/bosses that drop it to show up. and if you miss something you’ll have no idea since there’s no ingame compendium or anything. I would have probably never seen a third of the content in the game without the steam guide that tells you what weapons and armor are available in each area.

I think I prefer all of the game’s other environments to the first one, so that part gets better.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

There’s a lot of very exotic weapons and armor sets in the game, but a weirdly high percentage of them come from obtuse secrets, and even a lot of the more straightforward stuff isn’t something you’ll see in a single run through the campaign and you’ll need to do adventures to get the dungeons/bosses that drop it to show up. and if you miss something you’ll have no idea since there’s no ingame compendium or anything. I would have probably never seen a third of the content in the game without the steam guide that tells you what weapons and armor are available in each area.

I think I prefer all of the game’s other environments to the first one, so that part gets better.

That's good to know. Should I save my upgrade mats or do you get enough to just plug away at everything? I just found a sniper rifle but I think I'll stick with upgrading the starter hunting rifle

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I finished 13 Sentinels last night. I thought the ending and the final reveals were so bad and so completely undermined everything interesting about the story that I hate the 40 hours I spent playing it to get to that point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think the ending twists were fine, but 13th Sentinels actual gameplay stays around for way longer than its welcome. The later missions especially are so grindy and there's just so many of them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Earth is really bland, but the later planets are way more visually fun.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

Holy poo poo, are you 15 year old me? Had the exact same reaction 10,000 years ago when I played BFM

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I've been playing Bloodstained: Orchestra of the Twilight, and while I really enjoy the grindy material collecting I've noticed that bosses tend to be greater walls than the stages leading up to them. Even with all the grinding I do I still seem to be barely leveled to some, like Bloodless.

In general I seem to take a lot of damage, too, even with prioritizing defense in the higher-level gear I craft.

Still a fun title and I love me some metroidvanias, just seems like some level balance issues here and there.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I've been playing Bloodstained: Orchestra of the Twilight, and while I really enjoy the grindy material collecting I've noticed that bosses tend to be greater walls than the stages leading up to them. Even with all the grinding I do I still seem to be barely leveled to some, like Bloodless.

I'm sorry, there's a new Bloodstained game?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Sadly, I think that’s a misremembering of Ritual of the Night.

I had my hopes up, too. Curse of the Night 2 came out of nowhere for me.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

In general I seem to take a lot of damage, too, even with prioritizing defense in the higher-level gear I craft.

Still a fun title and I love me some metroidvanias, just seems like some level balance issues here and there.

Yeah, the game really wants you to dodge attacks rather than facetanking everything, which is all well and good until you get to a boss whose attacks you just can't figure out how to dodge (like Bloodless! for me at least).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Bloodless was a pretty huge difficulty spike, I was legit surprised when I first reached her and found out she was just a normal boss and not something you had to have a plot item to weaken or anything along those lines. Part of that’s the full heal halfway through but still.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
This is not proper but I was interested in Stray because cats are good but then I realised it was some cyberpunk thing and that's not what I want right now man. Give me cat simulator when the owner has cancer. catcer

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

That's good to know. Should I save my upgrade mats or do you get enough to just plug away at everything? I just found a sniper rifle but I think I'll stick with upgrading the starter hunting rifle

upgrade materials aren't finite so upgrade whatever you're enjoying. It is good to keep your equipped gear roughly equal level (instead of having your primary at +6 and secondary and melee at +3) because of how the game scales, but in general you shouldn't worry about saving overmuch.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

sephiRoth IRA posted:

The big problem with Remnant is that the difficulty of the game was tied pretty much entirely to your upgrades, which basically only punished you for finally finding a setup you liked and actively wanted to keep playing with. Especially since, if you upgraded one thing, you couldn't really experiment anymore because now enemies would just kind of be scaled up to the strongest weapon you had, gently caress you if you managed to upgrade your weapon too well and now the next level you go to is just filled with so many enemies it takes forever to finish every mission and the game isn't fun anymore.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This big dungeon in Brave Fencer Mushashi completely sucks, it's overlong and ridiculously hard. The one in the restaurant basement.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I was playing Spyro the Dragon on my switch during a flight and I forgot how much I hate the joycon sticks.

I don’t even have any drifting issues, they just feel so flimsy and cheap. I was afraid I was gonna snap them off during one of the flight levels.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

moosecow333 posted:

I was playing Spyro the Dragon on my switch during a flight and I forgot how much I hate the joycon sticks.

I don’t even have any drifting issues, they just feel so flimsy and cheap. I was afraid I was gonna snap them off during one of the flight levels.

I hate the joycons in general, they drag every game down for me. I appreciate the design that went into making them interchangeable gamepads, but they're too tiny, the layout winds up feeling uncomfortable, and yeah they feel cheap. I can't think of a controller I've disliked that much since the N64.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was fine with the joycons up until I bought those Hori jumbo joycons, plugged the old ones in for a few minutes to 100% Kirby, and wondered how I ever made do with them. They’re pretty decent for what the are (durability aside, obviously) but yeah.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Holy cow is Forza Horizon 5 one of the most visually distracting racers I've played. Just constant popups about XP and skills and artificial camera visual effects blurring the edges of the screen, blaring loud music that the characters themselves shout over and you can mostly understand them, my god. I had to put it down because it was kinda making me nauseous. Thank god you can turn that stuff off and just ignore it. I do not want a big XP pop up in the top center of my screen every time I drive through a cactus in a racing game! I couldn't really learn to play the game because it kept bothering me while also trying to teach me!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

BioEnchanted posted:

This big dungeon in Brave Fencer Mushashi completely sucks, it's overlong and ridiculously hard. The one in the restaurant basement.

The owner will give you a full-heal cake for free whenever you talk to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Had to put forza horizon 5 down, that comment from earlier about your mentality affecting how the game's tone reflects when it hits you really is accurate. I'm depressed as gently caress and the way everything in the game is just so over the top bombastic and saccharine feels like it's mocking, not celebrating lol. It's just so utterly abrasive about how much fun everything is every five minutes. Please just shut up about fun festivals while I'm trying to race and let me go to them, I'm sure they do exist.