Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Yoshi RS2. I don't hate my neighbors enough to buy an MRD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Mine still backfires with an RS2 too. It's just what they do.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

Yoshi RS2. I don't hate my neighbors enough to buy an MRD.

Try taking the spark arrestor out for like 5 minutes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It will pop on decel even through the stock pipe. Neither the stock carb or the fcr have coast enricheners, so the only way to stop all popping is to jet it so rich that it runs like poo poo everywhere else.

Also, yes, having owned the full mrd pipe, it does open up the top end, but it is painfully loud, even with ear plugs.

If you're just trying to keep your neighbors happy, instead of closing the throttle completely, leave it open a small bit, that should stop the popping mostly

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I kind of like the popping. I was just worried that it was a symptom of running too lean.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 7, 2015

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
http://www.amanationalsupermoto.com/#!live/c1l1g

AMA Supermoto qualifying and racing is being live streamed today race starts at 5:05 EST, qualifying is going on right now

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
NASCAR-style qualifying is so boring, have they ever just run heats?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

EX250 Type R posted:

http://www.amanationalsupermoto.com/#!live/c1l1g

AMA Supermoto qualifying and racing is being live streamed today race starts at 5:05 EST, qualifying is going on right now

Goddamnit, Musselman is like an hour and a half from me.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I can't get my drat trailtech vapor tach to work on my drz. It thinks I'm doing half the RPMs that I actually am. No idea what the issue could be.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
your bike fires the plug every revolution, change the software setting for it.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

your bike fires the plug every revolution, change the software setting for it.

The PPR is set to 1 which I believe is the correct setting.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
change it to zero or 2 or whatever setting doubles the RPMs because it is obviously not correct or it would be reading correct

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Set the ppr to 2 then

E: wait, that would make it read slower......is it set for 1 cylinder?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ended up adding two more wraps to the coil and now it's working perfectly.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Got another call from the Husqy dealer in Austin telling me to "call them around the first of the year to secure my spot in line." It sounds like there is about 10 people who want the bike including myself and they can't make a line because they're retarded.

We'll see what happens. I'll probably call once a day starting Jan 1 to see if I can get on the list. If I can't, I may look for a used 690SMC.

XYLOPAGUS fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 17, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Aren't people still wanting like $7k for 06 SMCs with 10k on the odo?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nah $8k cause it has an exhaust and 30k miles but they're all highway

For the 08+ at least

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
dizzer bros rocking the S wheels:

Dunlop D606's gonna be good for dirt riding? I picked up a pair of wheels for my SM but they've got non DOT rubber on them, need to swap em out so I can go exploring.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Trakmaster 2's for life

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
No on the front. Jury is still out for the rear. I run T63s.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
What's the pavement life of the T63 like? I really enjoy the front and rear Trakmasters on dirt but holy poo poo do they melt fast on pavement, especially in the middle of the summer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
the rear didn't last much over 2000 before I decided to change it. still on the same front. Probably around 3000miles and still usable.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm having an issue opening the throttle smoothly on my drz without the clutch. It feels like an on/off switch. Even if I roll it on as smoothly as possible it feels very twitchy and jerky. Could this be due to improper jetting or not enough free play in the throttle cable?

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 19, 2015

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Is there free play in the cable? Did you route the cable correctly?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I never changed the cables so they are routed correctly. There is a little bit of free play but not a ton. I just tried to eyeball the free play and how it was connected to the carb after I jetted it. The throttle does snap back to close though. Should I try just adding more free play?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm having an issue opening the throttle smoothly on my drz without the clutch. It feels like an on/off switch. Even if I roll it on as smoothly as possible it feels very twitchy and jerky. Could this be due to improper jetting or not enough free play in the throttle cable?

Either your throttle cables are getting caught somewhere/on something or you're trying to roll on at 1k. I'm going with the former.

Does it sound like it's misfiring?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Don't think it's misfiring. I mostly notice the issue when I'm rolling on the gas during a corner. So the RPMs are around 3k or so I'm guessing. I'll take a look at the throttle cables.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its jetting if anything. The only issues with freeplay in the cable usually manifest as the engine revving slightly when you turn the bars to full lock.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its jetting if anything. The only issues with freeplay in the cable usually manifest as the engine revving slightly when you turn the bars to full lock.

I was thinking of corroded rear end throttle cables sticking in the tube, which is a bitch to diagnose without actually being there.

Otherwise it's jetting/pilot screw.

E: Or it's just the bike having torque/short gearing in first.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 19, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Marxalot posted:

I was thinking of corroded rear end throttle cables sticking in the tube, which is a bitch to diagnose without actually being there.

Otherwise it's jetting/pilot screw.

E: Or it's just the bike having torque/short gearing in first.

It happens in every gear and the bike is new so I'm guessing the throttle cables are fine. What should I try changing about the jetting?

Currently at 160mj - Blue #4 - 25pj - 2 3/4 turns out. I have the 3x3 airbox mod, uni foam filter, and a yoshi rs2 exhaust. I live in Pittsburgh so the elevation is around 900 feet. Maybe try the 3rd clip position?

And maybe I'm just not used to riding a dirt bike? Should I just be using a bit of clutch when opening the throttle in a corner?

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 19, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Partial Octopus posted:

It happens in every gear and the bike is new so I'm guessing the throttle cables are fine. What should I try changing about the jetting?

Currently at 160mj - Blue #4 - 25pj - 2 3/4 turns out. I have the 3x3 airbox mod, uni foam filter, and a yoshi rs2 exhaust. I live in Pittsburgh so the elevation is around 900 feet. Maybe try the 3rd clip position?

And maybe I'm just not used to riding a dirt bike? Should I just be using a bit of clutch when opening the throttle in a corner?

I don't know much about jetting (my -guess- is too lean on at least the pilot jet), so I'll just ask the obvious questions incase someone comes along.

Stock carb or FCR39? Have you changed the jetting at all since you widened the airbox and threw on the RS2? Does it start with or without the choke when it's cold?

e: You might be able to turn that pilot screw 1/4-1/2 turn in and see if the problem gets hilariously worse. (if the bike even wants to run)

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 19, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

It was rejetted for the changes. I posted on thumpertalk and went with their recommendations. Apparently everyone with my exhaust uses the 160 main jet. The bike does need the choke when cold.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Have you checked chain slack?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Chain slack was 5mm tighter than the range given in the service manual. I'll adjust that and set the throttle adjusters to the correct settings and see what happens.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Adjusted the chain and the throttle. Not really sure if I noticed a change.

edit: messed with the throttle cables some more when I got home from work and I think that helped a bit actually. I'm guessing that most of this is just rider error from not being used to riding a sumo.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 20, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It shouldn't ride any different than a normal motorcycle. Im still going with jetting

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 20, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What should I try changing about the jetting first? Seems like everyone runs 160/25 and all that varies is the clip position and the fuel screw position.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is your setup? Stock/aftermarket air filter, carb or exhaust?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Currently at 160mj - Blue #4 - 25pj - 2 3/4 turns out. 3x3 airbox mod, uni foam filter, and a yoshi rs2 exhaust. Elevation is around 900 feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that the JD jet kit then?

• Locked thread