Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Wait, who's paying for all these pizzas? What department has that kind of budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Leospeare posted:

Wait, who's paying for all these pizzas? What department has that kind of budget?

My department has a weekly barbecue open to all our students. *shrug*

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Fourty students had been waiting for half an hour for their professor when he finally came late to the class, with 40 pizzas.

"The department is in trouble", he explained, "we haven't spent as much government money this year as budgeted, and if nothing changes then next year's budget will be reduced. So I went and bough these vegan pizzas made from 100% organic ingredients grown in Cuba, China, Iran and Canada."

"So I have decided that all the ladies, non-whites and non-US citizens get one and a half pizzas each, which will leave the rest of you guys with half each, except you, Tim. Tim, since you have served in the Navy SEALS and have earned two Purple Hearts, three Silver Stars and a Congressional Medal of Honor in four Tours of Duty fighting in Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia and the Mexico border, and you also run a small business of your own to pay for your tuition fees while also paying for 15 employees, you will only get one slice and I will take the rest."

Tim looked at his slice of vegan pizza, then closed his eyes and crossed his hands and recited: "Thank you, o Jesus most gracious for this meal..."

The professor then started booming: "How dare you bring religion to this class! We are a tolerant college and believe in the healing powers of Gaia and Buddha alone! Get out, you will be expelled for your rude behaviour!" and he threw Tim's pizza slice after him.

After Tim had left the class, the professor turned, smiling, to the rest of the class and said: "Welcome to Modern American Economics 101, I am your professor Barack Hussein Obama!"

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Kosmonaut posted:

"Hey," said the first student to the professor. "Out of the last twenty students, I see five that had to miss half the class due to illness, three who brought their own lunch, six who agitated for progressive pizza distribution, and two who are black. Shouldn't their piece go to me as well?"

The professor beamed. "Welcome to the Republican Party."

This made me actually laugh out loud.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Leospeare posted:

He's a liberal professor with tenure at a public University. Which means he's grossly overpaid, of course.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

It is disturbing that an accurate analogy illustrating an objective fact makes you wonder what the political agenda is. Last I checked facts didn't have agendas, and just wanting to have people informed about the actual real state of the world could be an end in itself.

The problem is that while the unfair pizza distribution is accurate, it is based on merit, which is not. It makes the story smack of full on conservative just-world fallacy.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The professor should draw the names of people in the class out of a hat.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The professor should give them pizza according to the financial aid forms they submitted documenting their parents' net worth and income.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

XyloJW posted:

My department has a weekly barbecue open to all our students. *shrug*

Are you in the Ag department? I always wondered what happened to the cut-out bit from a window cow.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Nenonen posted:

After Tim had left the class, the professor turned, smiling, to the rest of the class and said: "Welcome to Modern American Economics 101, I am your professor Barack Hussein Obama!"

The Hussein is what makes it believable.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Arglebargle III posted:

The professor should give them pizza according to the financial aid forms they submitted documenting their parents' net worth and income.
The professor should look up the grades their parents made in economics class when they went to college. If your parent got the highest grade, you get the biggest piece of pizza, representing a large inheritance. Your parents didn't go to college? Sorry, you get jack poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

XyloJW posted:

My Racist, Insane Aunt

Where's that photo of the 9/12 rally aftermath with overflowing trash cans full of crudely drawn signs?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The rush of OWS stuff shows me that I mist be really lucky, because I have seen exactly two crazy conservative postings on my Facebook feed. One was that bit about a doctor writing about how we won't fix healthcare until we change our habits, namely blinged-out black poor people eating McDonald's and drinking pop every day, and another from a guy excited about Sarah Palin's vice presidential nomination, when she was a new, exciting face who could win over disaffected Hillary supporters, back before she said anything.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 11, 2011

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I thought I had trained my dad out of this poo poo, but he sent me a doozy today. For background, my boyfriend is a phd candidate in history whose past research has focused on Germany. My dad likes to pretend he's a super rational person and is looking for facts when he sends this type of stuff, but really is just trying to provoke a fight.

quote:

Dear (Me)/(Boyfriend),
This went on in Atlanta recently, and I would appreciate it if from a historical perspective you see any parallels that took place in the past i.e. Bolshevik revolution, early days of Nazi party, North Korea (then-now). Personally, the movie (original) 1984 immediately came to mind along with the Jim Jones crowd. The link is below along with some words to set the scene.

Thanks,

Mr. O / Dad

Normally I would tell you to watch this video. Actually .. some of you may not want to. This is a video of an “assembly” in Atlanta .. the “Occupy Atlanta” branch of the “Occupy Wall Street libtards. It is, quite frankly, one of the most frightening things I’ve seen in a long time.

Let me try to explain this for those of you who can’t (or don’t want to) look at the video. We have the “occupy Atlanta” children gathered at a park. There’s some skinny guy with a nice revolutionary beard and a bullhorn. Congressman John Lewis shows up to address the crowd. Now I’m certainly no fan of Congressman Lewis’ politics, but the man is a true hero in my eyes. This is a guy who submitted to beatings by white segregationists during the civil rights battles. He deserves the respect of every living American … including the mindless myrmidons in this occupy Atlanta crowd.

Let me try to explain the scene. Mr. Bullhorn says something and then pauses. The crowd then repeats what he said in unison. Bullhorn utters another phrase – and the crowd repeats what he said. Bullhorn then announces that Congressman John Lewis is there and the crowd applauds. Bullhorn doesn’t like the applause, so he reminds his sheep that they can’t clap --- they repeat his instructions in unison – they can’t clap because while they’re clapping someone might try to say something and they won’t be heard. Bullhorn instructs the crowd to show their approval by holding one or both hands in the air (depending on how excited you are) and wiggling your fingers.

It’s amazing! There are actual adults in this crowd! Some of these people look to be in their 40s and 50s!

In the end the crowd decides with hands and wiggling fingers that they don’t want to listen to what John Lewis has to say. And why not? Because, as one person shouted (followed by the chant) that “No human being is inherently more valuable than any other human being.” One person even broke ranks and shouted out “John Lewis isn’t any better than anyone else!”

Here’s an idea. Let’s find one of these fools lying in a pool of blood by the side of the road after a horrendous car crash … and tell them that we have one of their urban outdoorsmen (homeless) friends from the park coming to care for them. If they ask for a doctor remind them that no human being is any more valuable than another.

These mindless sheep were truly frightening. All they needed was Madame Lafarge knitting the names of the evil rich who must be killed into a shawl.

Uuuuggghhhhh

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Hutla posted:

I thought I had trained my dad out of this poo poo, but he sent me a doozy today. For background, my boyfriend is a phd candidate in history whose past research has focused on Germany. My dad likes to pretend he's a super rational person and is looking for facts when he sends this type of stuff, but really is just trying to provoke a fight.

Uuuuggghhhhh

Ask him where the hell he was when Tea Partiers brought actual GUNS to town hall meetings.

There's probably a better link describing the phenomenon than that. Anyhoo, before then, I would have told you that Fox would have ignored or downplayed guys with guns in an effort not to seem crazy, not shone a spotlight on them and praised them!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Hutla posted:

Personally, the movie (original) 1984

This is where a rational person should stop reading that, regardless of their ideology.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
^^^ It really sucks I can't tell people 1984 is one of my favorite books because people will get the wrong idea.

Hutla posted:

Uuuuggghhhhh

Now I'm not insinuating that Occupy Wall Street is literally run by future Hitlers, I'm just asking questions!

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 11, 2011

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hutla posted:

Uuuuggghhhhh

I totally get the the idea behind the human mic at these rallies, but it does look a little bit cultish.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

RagnarokAngel posted:

^^^ It really sucks I can't tell people 1984 is one of my favorite books because people will get the wrong
I'm dreading the day these people discover Kafka and ruin him for me too.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
One morning, as Joe the Plumber was waking up from anxious dreams, he discovered that in his bed he had been changed into a monstrous liberal parasite.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Z-Magic posted:

I'm dreading the day these people discover Kafka and ruin him for me too.

I wouldn't worry - I can't quite see a right-wing candidate or pundit talking about how he was curling up with a glass of wine and some Kafka. They'd get burned at the stake if their 'base' thought they were readin' fancy books like some librul ivory-tower evolutionist per-fessur. Plus, 'Kafka' sounds pretty commie.

If Hollywood makes a movie of it, you'll get a bunch of campus republicans swearing they read it ages ago, but that's about all.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Leospeare posted:

I wouldn't worry - I can't quite see a right-wing candidate or pundit talking about how he was curling up with a glass of wine and some Kafka. They'd get burned at the stake if their 'base' thought they were readin' fancy books like some librul ivory-tower evolutionist per-fessur. Plus, 'Kafka' sounds pretty commie.

If Hollywood makes a movie of it, you'll get a bunch of campus republicans swearing they read it ages ago, but that's about all.
I can see them latching onto The Castle as 'a warning about big government'.

Not an email but one thing I have been getting a lot of recently is 'Karl Marx was a racist and supported slavery'. This talking point seems to come from the following quote which I've been linked to several times.

Karl Marx posted:

Freedom and slavery constitute an antagonism. There is no need for me to speak either of the good or of the bad aspects of freedom. As for slavery, there is no need for me to speak of its bad aspects. The only thing requiring explanation is the good side of slavery. I do not mean indirect slavery, the slavery of proletariat; I mean direct slavery, the slavery of the Blacks in Surinam, in Brazil, in the southern regions of North America.

Direct slavery is as much the pivot upon which our present-day industrialism turns as are machinery, credit, etc. Without slavery there would be no cotton, without cotton there would be no modern industry. It is slavery which has given value to the colonies, it is the colonies which have created world trade, and world trade is the necessary condition for large-scale machine industry. Consequently, prior to the slave trade, the colonies sent very few products to the Old World, and did not noticeably change the face of the world. Slavery is therefore an economic category of paramount importance. Without slavery, North America, the most progressive nation, would he transformed into a patriarchal country. Only wipe North America off the map and you will get anarchy, the complete decay of trade and modern civilisation. But to do away with slavery would be to wipe America off the map.

While it's true that Karl Marx did write it, I don't think I have ever seen anything taken out of context as badly as that. Have a look at the original text and you'll see Brietbert levels of misrepresentation going on. It makes 'ACORN' and 'Shirley Sherrod' look honest by comparison.

Z-Magic fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 11, 2011

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Z-Magic posted:

I can see them latching onto The Castle as 'a warning about big government'.

Not an email but one thing I have been getting a lot of recently is 'Karl Marx was a racist and supported slavery'. This talking point seems to come from the following quote which I've been linked to several times.

While it's true that Karl Marx did write it, I don't think I have ever seen anything taken out of context as badly as that. Have a look at the original text and you'll see Brietbert levels of misrepresentation going on. It makes 'ACORN' and 'Shirley Sherrod' look honest by comparison.

Can someone who's more tolerant of Marx's writing style confirm that he's basically putting words into Proudhon's mouth there?

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

This back and forth of the professor with pizza is exactly why the left can't have nice chain emails. Too much nuance, too many variables. Conservative chain emails work because the intended audience is allergic to critical thought beyond HURFADURF gently caress LIBRULS GO TROOPS!!!!

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

For content, I thought this was funny. It's made the rounds with the in-laws with the context of "OBAMACARE DEATH PANELS". Scroll down and read the bolded before you bother reading the whole thing:

some in-laws posted:

Everyone should read this and pay close attention.

An Indianapolis doctor's letter to Sen. Bayh about the Bill (Note: Dr. Stephen E. Frazer, MD practices as an anesthesiologist in Indianapolis, IN) Here is a letter I sent to Senator Bayh. Feel free to copy it and send it around to all other representatives. — Stephen Fraser

Senator Bayh,

As a practicing physician I have major concerns with the health care bill before Congress. I actually have read the bill and am shocked by the brazenness of the government's proposed involvement in the patient-physician relationship. The very idea that the government will dictate and ration patient care is dangerous and certainly not helpful in designing a health care system that works for all. Every physician I work with agrees that we need to fix our health care system, but the proposed bills currently making their way through congress will be a disaster if passed.

I ask you respectfully and as a patriotic American to look at the following troubling lines that I have read in the bill. You cannot possibly believe that these proposals are in the best interests of the country and our fellow citizens.

Page 22 of the HC Bill: Mandates that the Govt will audit books of all employers that self-insure!!
Page 30 Sec 123 of HC bill: THERE WILL BE A GOVT COMMITTEE that decides what treatments/benefits you get.
Page 29 lines 4-16 in the HC bill: YOUR HEALTH CARE IS RATIONED!!!
Page 42 of HC Bill: The Health Choices Commissioner will choose your HC benefits for you. You have no choice!
Page 50 Section 152 in HC bill: HC will be provided to ALL non-US citizens, illegal or otherwise.
Page 58 HC Bill: Govt will have real-time access to individuals' finances & a 'National ID Health card' will be issued!
Page 59 HC Bill lines 21-24: Govt will have direct access to your bank accounts for elective funds transfer.
Page 65 Sec 164: Is a payoff subsidized plan for retirees and their families in unions & community organizations: (ACORN).
Page 84 Sec 203 HC bill: Govt mandates ALL benefit packages for private HC plans in the 'Exchange.'
Page 85 Line 7 HC Bill: Specifications of Benefit Levels for Plans — The Govt will ration your health care!
Page 91 Lines 4-7 HC Bill: Govt mandates linguistic appropriate services. (Translation: illegal aliens.)
Page 95 HC Bill Lines 8-18: The Govt will use groups (i.e. ACORN & Americorps to sign up individuals for Govt HC plan.
Page 85 Line 7 HC Bill: Specifications of Benefit Levels for Plans. (AARP members - your health care WILL be rationed!)
Page 102 Lines 12-18 HC Bill: Medicaid eligible individuals will be automatically enrolled in Medicaid. (No choice.)
Page 12 4 lines 24-25 HC: No company can sue GOVT on price fixing. No "judicial review" against Govt monopoly.
Page 127 Lines 1-16 HC Bill: Doctors/ American Medical Association - The Govt will tell YOU what salary you can make.
Page 145 Line 15-17: An Employer MUST auto-enroll employees into public option plan. (NO choice!)
Page 126 Lines 22-25: Employers MUST pay for HC for part-time employees AND their families. (Employees shouldn't get excited about this as employers will be forced to reduce its work force, benefits, and wages/salaries to cover such a huge expense.)
Page 149 Lines 16-24: ANY Employer with payroll 401k & above who does not provide public option will pay 8% tax on all payroll! (See the last comment in parenthesis.)
Page 150 Lines 9-13: A business with payroll between $251K & $401K who doesn't provide public option will pay 2-6% tax on all payroll.
Page 167 Lines 18-23: ANY individual who doesn't have acceptable HC according to Govt will be taxed 2.5% of income.
Page 170 Lines 1-3 HC Bill: Any NONRESIDENT Alien is exempt from individual taxes. (Americans will pay.)
Page 195 HC Bill: Officers & employees of the GOVT HC Admin.. will have access to ALL Americans' finances and personal records.
Page 203 Line 14-15 HC: "The tax imposed under this section shall not be treated as tax." (Yes, it really says that!)
Page 239 Line 14-24 HC Bill: Govt will reduce physician services for Medicaid Seniors. (Low-income and the poor are affected.)
Page 241 Line 6-8 HC Bill: Doctors: It doesn't matter what specialty you have trained yourself in — you will all be paid the same! (Just TRY to tell me that's not Socialism!)
Page 253 Line 10-18: The Govt sets the value of a doctor's time, profession, judgment, etc. (Literally— the value of humans.)
Page 265 Sec 1131: The Govt mandates and controls productivity for "private" HC industries.
Page 268 Sec 1141: The federal Govt regulates the rental and purchase of power driven wheelchairs.
Page 272 SEC. 1145: TREATMENT OF CERTAIN CANCER HOSPITALS - Cancer patients - welcome to rationing!
Page 280 Sec 1151: The Govt will penalize hospitals for whatever the Govt deems preventable (i.e... re-admissions).
Page 298 Lines 9-11: Doctors: If you treat a patient during initial admission that results in a re-admission — the Govt will penalize you.
Page 317 L 13-20: PROHIBITION on ownership/investment. (The Govt tells doctors what and how much they can own!)
Page 317-318 lines 21-25, 1-3: PROHIBITION on expansion. (The Govt is mandating that hospitals cannot expand.)
Page 321 2-13: Hospitals have the opportunity to apply for exception BUT community input is required. (Can you say ACORN?)
Page 335 L 16-25 Pg 336-339: The Govt mandates establishment of outcome-based measures. (HC the way they want — rationing.)
Page 341 Lines 3-9: The Govt has authority to disqualify Medicare Advance Plans, HMOs, etc. (Forcing people into the Govt plan)
Page 354 Sec 1177: The Govt will RESTRICT enrollment of 'special needs people!' Unbelievable!
Page 379 Sec 1191: The Govt creates more bureaucracy via a "Tele-Health Advisory Committee." (Can you say HC by phone?)
Page 425 Lines 4-12: The Govt mandates "Advance-Care Planning Consult." (Think senior citizens end-of-life patients.)
Page 425 Lines 17-19: The Govt will instruct and consult regarding living wills, durable powers of attorney, etc. (And it's mandatory!)
Page 425 Lines 22-25, 426 Lines 1-3: The Govt provides an "approved" list of end-of-life resources; — guiding you in death. (Also called 'assisted suicide.')
Page 427 Lines 15-24: The Govt mandates a program for orders on "end-of-life." (The Govt has a say in how your life ends!)
Page 429 Lines 1-9: An "advanced-care planning consultant" will be used frequently as a patient's health deteriorates.
Page 429 Lines 10-12: An "advanced care consultation" may include an ORDER for end-of-life plans. (AN ORDER TO DIE FROM THE GOVERNMENT?!?)
Page 429 Lines 13-25: The GOVT will specify which doctors can write an end-of-life order. (I wouldn't want to stand before God after getting paid for THAT job!)
Page 430 Lines 11-15: The Govt will decide what level of treatment you will have at end-of-life! (Again — no choice!)
Page 469: Community-Based Home Medical Services = Non-Profit Organizations. (Hello? ACORN Medical Services here!?!)
Page 489 Sec 1308: The Govt will cover marriage and family therapy. (Which means Govt will insert itself into your marriage even.)
Page 494-498: Govt will cover Mental Health Services including defining, creating, and rationing those services.

Senator, I guarantee that I personally will do everything possible to inform patients and my fellow physicians about the dangers of the proposed bills you and your colleagues are debating.

Furthermore, if you vote for a bill that enforces socialized medicine on the country and destroys the doctor-patient relationship, I will do everything in my power to make sure you lose your job in the next election.

Respectfully,

Stephen E. Fraser, MD

I have reviewed selected sections of the bill and find it unbelievable that our Congress, led by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, could come up with a bill loaded with so many wrong-headed elements. We do need to reform the health insurance system in America in order to make coverage affordable and available to everyone. But, how many of us believe our federal government can manage a new program any better than the bankrupt Medicare program or the underfunded Social Security program? Both Republicans and Democrats are equally responsible for the financial mess of those two programs.

I am opposed to HB 3200 for a number of reasons. To start with, it is estimated that a federal bureaucracy of more than 150,000 new employees will be required to administer HB3200.

That is an unacceptable expansion of a government that is already too intrusive in our lives. If we are going to hire 150,000 new employees, let's put them to work protecting our borders, fighting the massive drug problem and putting more law enforcement/firefighters out there."

Other problems I have with this bill include:

Page 50/section 152: The bill will provide insurance to all non-U.S. residents, even if they are here illegally.

Page 58 and 59: The government will have real-time access to an individual's bank account and will have the authority to make electronic fund transfers from those accounts.

Page 65/section 164: The plan will be subsidized (by the government) for all union members, union retirees and for community organizations (such as the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now - ACORN).

Page 203/line 14-15: The tax imposed under this section will not be treated as a tax. (How could anybody in their right mind come up with that?)

Page 241 and 253: Doctors will all be paid the same regardless of specialty, and the government will set all doctors' fees.

Page 272. section 1145: Cancer hospital will ration care according to the patient's age.

Page 317 and 321: The government will impose a prohibition on hospital expansion; however, communities may petition for an exception.

Page 425, line 4-12: The government mandates advance-care planning consultations. Those on Social Security will be required to attend an "end-of-life planning" seminar every five years.

Page 429, line 13-25: The government will specify which doctors can write an end-of-life order."

Finally, it is specifically stated this bill will not apply to members of Congress.

Members of Congress are already exempt from the Social Security system and have a well-funded private plan that covers their retirement needs. If they were on our Social Security plan, I believe they would find a very quick "fix" to make the plan financially sound for the future."

Honorable David Kithil Marble Falls, Texas.

Origins: The line-item criticism of the health care reform bill commonly known as "Obamacare" has circulated since late 2009, both as a letter sent to Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana by Dr. Stephen E. Fraser, an Indianapolis anesthesiologist, and as a letter sent to the River Cities Tribune by David Kithil, a former county judge in Marble Falls, Texas. (The identity of the original
author is murky, as this item was originally circulated in mid-2009 in a form which was not attributed to either man nor cast as a letter to anyone.)

As a criticism of health care reform legislation this piece has considerable flaws, the primary one being that it analyzed a bill which had not yet been passed by Congress. Substantial changes were made to the health care reform bill before it was passed by the House in November 2009; the Senate then passed its own (more conservative) version in December 2009, with the House making further adjustments to the Senate version. Thus much of the criticism was directed at elements that were not present in the bill which was actually passed into law. Moreover, as detailed here, many of the claims made in this analysis about the earlier version of health care reform legislation were inaccurate.

So yeah, they're literally sending the Snopes refutation and clearly not bothering to read the entirety of their own lovely propaganda. :downsbravo:

tek79 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 11, 2011

TheGrizzle
Jul 3, 2007
What better place to copy/paste chain e-mails you agree with than the crooked, liberal web site your dumb liberal relative linked to archiving every chain e-mail?

You all thought you were refuting them, when you were just enabling them by providing a thorough catalog of other crazy poo poo.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

tek79 posted:

For content, I thought this was funny. It's made the rounds with the in-laws with the context of "OBAMACARE DEATH PANELS". Scroll down and read the bolded before you bother reading the whole thing:

So yeah, they're literally sending the Snopes refutation and clearly not bothering to read the entirety of their own lovely propaganda. :downsbravo:

That is beyond impressive. If you care so little to not read over it, why care enough to send it in the first place?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Sarion posted:

That is beyond impressive. If you care so little to not read over it, why care enough to send it in the first place?

Because they see the citations to the bill, assume it validates their worst fears and then click send. It's not like the creator even intended people to look up the bill itself, they just want people to feel justified in their fear.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

tek79 posted:

Please tell me you pointed that out to them.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sarion posted:

My grandma's done this to me at least twice (I usually don't bother to read them, much less check links). I don't remember what the first one was beyond the fact that it happened, but the second time she sent me that stupid ":supaburn: Oh god, Obama's handing America over to the Muslims! Look at these photos of Muslims praying in the streets of NYC, blocking traffic and shutting down whole blocks with their Satan-moon-voodoo!!

It's true, check it out on Snopes! http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/changingface.asp ! :supaburn:"

Yeah, this Snopes article says that it's a regularly-occurring festival, the city knows about it and adjusts transportation accordingly, is no different than any other parade for St. Paddy's Day or whatever that also shuts down certain streets, and has been going on long before Obama.

Good job, Grandma.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"People get belligerently drunk and march down the streets clad in green EVERY DAY, look at these pix"

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

JT Jag posted:

"People get belligerently drunk and march down the streets clad in green EVERY DAY, look at these pix"

loving environmentalists.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

angrytech posted:

Please tell me you pointed that out to them.

Of the two people who had sent it, I responded to one but excluded the second person who had sent it since he's old and confused, but also a great guy outside of his politics and I didn't want to make him feel dumb. My response to the other guy:

tek79 posted:

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say with this. Are you for or against "Obamacare"? Did you read the last couple of paragraphs of this email?

I haven't had a response and I assume it's gone unread or they're too embarrassed to admit they're a big dummy.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 5, 2023

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

"Maybe we wouldn't be where we are today if we'd just said 'enough is enough' when we had the chance. Maybe we could've saved ourselves. We'll never know. Except Government officials."

I'd start with how sad it is that there are people who take that ridiculous parody as an actual possible future.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
My favorite part is the random "those kids and their newfangled phones these days :bahgawd:"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Haha, electric cars even now can go further than 50 miles on a single charge

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Then we could move on to the fact that their names are Winston and Julia and the dystopian future they live in is a slightly better version of modern America

O'Brien is probably the sponsor of the Campus Republicans at the local community college

Also digging the "unearthly glow" of fluorescents that look more like sunlight than incandescents

Kosmonaut fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 13, 2011

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

And on the great stone edifice were chiseled the awful tenets of the Amerilib party:

WAR IS BAD

FREEDOM DOES NOT EXCUSE YOU FOR BEING A DOUCHEBAG

BOOK LEARNING IS STRENGTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

After the whole "Occupy Melbourne" rally against "corporate greed" and "the free market" and whatever other crap they always rant on about... most of us will be going to work or university the following Monday morning.

You know... contributing to society and the economy. Trying to better ourselves to improve our lives and the lives of our families.

You know... not bitching about capitalism all the time whilst enjoying the fruits of it.

Capitalism didn't kill millions of people like Mao Tse Tung did, or Pol Pot and the Khumer Rouge did. Maybe if these guys spent more time working and less time hosting stupid pointless rallies about crap no one cares about then they might not need welfare.

If you work and think these people are just tools please join.

See you at work.

there is so much wrong here I don't even know where to start