Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:
Well Vader's problem with Admiral Ozzel was "he came out of lightspeed too soon." I was always under the impression that Vader wanted to basically drop out of hyperspace in orbit above the rebel base and pound it with turbolasers, shock and awe style. Element of surprise and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

^^^^ That it what I always thought but then I am now confused by quotes from TESB

quote:

INTERIOR: HOTH -- REBEL BASE -- COMMAND CENTER

Leia and Rieekan listen to Han on the comlink.

HAN: (over comlink) Afraid there's not much left.

LEIA: (into comlink) What was it?

HAN: (over comlink) Droid of some kind. I didn't hit it that hard. It
must have had a self-destruct.

LEIA: (into comlink) An Imperial probe droid.

HAN: (over comlink) It's a good bet the Empire knows we're here.

RIEEKAN: We'd better start the evacuation.
INTERIOR: REBEL BASE -- CONTROL ROOM.

Alarms sound throughout the hidden Rebel base. In the
control room, a controller urgently gestures for General
Rieekan to check a computer scan.

CONTROLLER: General, there's a fleet of Star Destroyers coming out of
hyperspace in sector four.

RIEEKAN: Reroute all power to the energy shield. We've got to hold
them till all transports are away. Prepare for ground assault.

Rieekan exits hurriedly.
VADER: What is it, General?

VEERS: My lord, the fleet has moves out of light-speed. Com-Scan has
detected an energy field protecting an area around the sixth planet of
the Hoth system. The field is strong enough to deflect any
bombardment.

VADER: (angrily) The Rebels are alerted to our presence. Admiral Ozzel
came out of light-speed too close to the system.

VEERS: He felt surprise was wiser...

VADER: He is as clumsy as he is stupid. General, prepare your troops
for a surface attack.

VEERS: Yes, my lord.

Veers turns smartly and leaves as Vader activates a large
viewscreen showing the bridge of his mighty ship. Admiral
Ozzel appears on the viewscreen, standing slightly in front of
Captain Piett.

OZZEL: Lord Vader, the fleet has moved out of light-speed, and we're
preparing to...Aaagh!

VADER: You have failed me for the last time, Admiral. Captain Piett.

Piett steps forward, as the admiral moves away, slightly
confused, touching his throat as it begins to constrict
painfully.

PIETT: Yes, my lord.

VADER: Make ready to land out troops beyond the energy shield and
deploy the fleet so that nothing gets off that system. You are in
command now, Admiral Piett.

PIETT: Thank you, Lord Vader.

Reading it I don't know what the plan was. I suppose Vader wanted to come out of lightspeed very far away so as not to be detected. But then how would they attack?

euphronius fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 9, 2011

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

euphronius posted:

^^^^ That it what I always thought but then I am now confused by quotes from TESB

Reading it I don't know what the plan was. I suppose Vader wanted to come out of lightspeed very far away so as not to be detected. But then how would they attack?

Maybe if they weren't detected, they could pinpoint the generators and launch a lightning strike to take out the shields. You could probably sneak a wing of TIEs under the perimeter of the shield before they're detected and they could overwhelm the Rebel Starfighters and take out the generator

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
I've always just assumed that the plan was to jump out to the outskirts of the system, scan Hoth to find the base, then jump in closer and smash it before it could get any defenses online.

Ozzel jumped in too close, and because he wasn't in the right position to immediately attack it gave the Rebels time to prepare.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I just rewatched the initial scenes of ESB, and General Rieekan says something to the effect of "with all the meteor activity in the system, it's going to be difficult to spot approaching ships". So it makes sense that the fleet would have approached via the asteroid field and scout Hoth with impunity.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Star Wars Episode 1: What if Qui-Gon lived?

I'm on summer vacation, and I have a bit of time to draw a bit more. I was thinking about an old (yes...) fanfic idea in the vein of Infinities, using the Prequels as fodder for new storyline branches. Drawn as a comic, obviously.

Would anyone actually be interested in reading this, or is the fandom far too saturated and it would be a waste of time?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Give it a comedy slant and just bomb head long into parody with Qui-Gon calling out everything retarded so far now with Star Wars.

Starting with Jar-Jar being given political power.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

SeanBeansShako posted:

Give it a comedy slant and just bomb head long into parody with Qui-Gon calling out everything retarded so far now with Star Wars.

Starting with Jar-Jar being given political power.

"What if Jar-Jar was Sith Lord?"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mahoshonen posted:

Maybe if they weren't detected, they could pinpoint the generators and launch a lightning strike to take out the shields. You could probably sneak a wing of TIEs under the perimeter of the shield before they're detected and they could overwhelm the Rebel Starfighters and take out the generator

Tactics and strategy don't exist in the Star Wars movie universe. Everything in the movie (especially in ROTJ) falls apart under any scrutiny:

1) Rescue Han plan makes no sense
2) Throw the entire rebel fleet against the entire Imperial fleet and hope for the best
3) The Emperor seducing Luke through ... nothing ...?
4) Ewoks armed with sticks defeat an entire garrison of the Empire's best troops?

It's a good movie because all that doesn't matter because we love the characters so much.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The rebels didn't expect to see such a large imperial fleet at Endor though. It was, as Admiral Akbar said, a...

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Slantedfloors posted:

I've always just assumed that the plan was to jump out to the outskirts of the system, scan Hoth to find the base, then jump in closer and smash it before it could get any defenses online.

Ozzel jumped in too close, and because he wasn't in the right position to immediately attack it gave the Rebels time to prepare.

In the final analysis it made no difference. The rebels already knew the empire was coming and had begun preparation for evacuation before the fleet even got there.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The rebels didn't expect to see such a large imperial fleet at Endor though. It was, as Admiral Akbar said, a...

You send the entire fleet to a battle with out any recon?

Ok.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Didn't they mention causing some sort of distraction with a big Rebel fleet elsewhere?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm sure that the Battle of Endor wookiepedia page will go into every known detail.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You send the entire fleet to a battle with out any recon?

Ok.

Han did a flyby on his way to Endor and presumably had to've seen Vader's ludicrous flagship, but, as ever, it's best not to think about military logic in a movie that has a commando team in jungle fatigues bring along an unmodified largely kneeless golden reflective butler droid for a sneak attack.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Karma Tornado posted:

Han did a flyby on his way to Endor and presumably had to've seen Vader's ludicrous flagship, but, as ever, it's best not to think about military logic in a movie that has a commando team in jungle fatigues bring along an unmodified largely kneeless golden reflective butler droid for a sneak attack.

Protocol droids versed in over 6 million languages have some tactical use on foreign worlds!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Amrosorma posted:

Protocol droids versed in over 6 million languages have some tactical use on foreign worlds!

Especially ones that are bright gold...

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Especially ones that are bright gold...

Easiest way to figure out where the sharpshooters are :clint:

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
The funniest part of ROTJ is that nothing that happens on the Death Star with the Emperor, Luke and Vader means a drat thing. Even if Luke falls to the dark side, gets killed by Vader or whatever, they're still probably going to die and the Empire will lose the battle because Lando Calrissian is the only dude in the universe who gets poo poo done.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Kemper Boyd posted:

The funniest part of ROTJ is that nothing that happens on the Death Star with the Emperor, Luke and Vader means a drat thing. Even if Luke falls to the dark side, gets killed by Vader or whatever, they're still probably going to die and the Empire will lose the battle because Lando Calrissian is the only dude in the universe who gets poo poo done.

Wedge Antilles is a stone cold motherfucking operator that entire sequence.

Also Luke literally says what you're saying out loud and the Emperor's like "gently caress your stupid friends I have a giant British space navy haw haw haw."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm sure that the Battle of Endor wookiepedia page will go into every known detail.

Has the 'Die dickheads' guy got his own over the top back story yet?

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Kemper Boyd posted:

Lando is also the only major person of color in the trilogy :hmm:

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Kemper Boyd posted:

Seconding Karma Tornado here: Wedge motherfucking Antilles would like a word with you. :colbert:

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Aciid c0d3r posted:

Does anyone have that picture of all the different types of TIE fighters? I thought I saw it here, but I can't seem to find it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Last one on the bottom right just looks obscene.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I always thought it was really stupid to design a spacecraft that has two huge (proportionally) wings on the sides of the cockpit, obscuring a tremendous amount of the pilot's field of vision. Watching Empire for the first time I felt vindicated when the asteroids smashed the hell out of the TIE fighters.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Tactics and strategy don't exist in the Star Wars movie universe. Everything in the movie (especially in ROTJ) falls apart under any scrutiny:

1) Rescue Han plan makes no sense
2) Throw the entire rebel fleet against the entire Imperial fleet and hope for the best
3) The Emperor seducing Luke through ... nothing ...?
4) Ewoks armed with sticks defeat an entire garrison of the Empire's best troops?

It's a good movie because all that doesn't matter because we love the characters so much.

Oh god I can't believe I'm going to do this.

1. From what I can figure, it actually went according to plan. Why else would Luke put his saber in R2D2. It sorta makes sense in a bizarre 'thinking 10 steps ahead' way.

2. The entire Imperial fleet wasn't supposed to be there (It's a trap). The rebels threw everything they had at the Death Star because they knew it was all or nothing this time. The Death Star was minimally guarded because of the shield. The plan was to disable the shield, jump in, and quickly take out the now unprotected Death Star. Of course the shield was up longer than they wanted, the massive Imperial fleet jumped in, and the Death Star's super laser was fully operational.

3) The Emperor wasn't so much seducing Luke as we was goading him into giving into the dark side. It almost worked.

4) You got me there man.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I'm still partial to the Endor holocaust theory to make me feel better about #4.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

LLJKSiLk posted:

I'm still partial to the Endor holocaust theory to make me feel better about #4.

I come bearing science! Or its Star Wars nearest equivalent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Amrosorma posted:

Lando is also the only major person of color in the trilogy :hmm:

Admiral Ackbar is clearly brown/orange.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Joe Don Baker posted:

Oh god I can't believe I'm going to do this.

1. From what I can figure, it actually went according to plan. Why else would Luke put his saber in R2D2. It sorta makes sense in a bizarre 'thinking 10 steps ahead' way.

They had three years to come up with the plan. The only person involved that they didn't tell gently caress all to was C-3P0, as he is a giant metal liability. Since he's presented as the point of view character, it comes off as a surprising series of events instead of a caper in a heist movie.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I remember that someone in here tried to explain away the stick thing by saying that armour that is bullet/laser proof isn't necessarily stab proof and seeing as Stormtroopers probably spend more time being shot than stabbed they may not have known that their armour might not have been as effective as they would hope.

Of course that doesn't explain how the army small bears that were using sharp sticks were able to turn this small, potential element of surprise into a victory.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I think it's worth noting that the Ewoks were getting hammered pretty hard for a decent portion of that battle.

They won because they were able to use some traps to their advantage (which were only useful in one specific location), had Han and Leia taking potshots at any trooper near them from cover, and Chewie hijacked an AT-ST and started kicking rear end.

As for the Rebels jumping their entire fleet to the DS2 and into an ambush, I recall Mon Mothma saying something along the lines of 'The Imperial fleet is spread throughout the Galaxy trying to engage us and the Emperor is on board the DS2. This is the best possible chance we have.'

It all ties into the Emperor's reveal that the superlaser is working. It all shows what a scheming genius he is beautifully and makes it all the more amazing when the good guys win in the end.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Karma Tornado posted:

They had three years to come up with the plan. The only person involved that they didn't tell gently caress all to was C-3P0, as he is a giant metal liability. Since he's presented as the point of view character, it comes off as a surprising series of events instead of a caper in a heist movie.

One year, but your point still stands. There's three years between ANH and ESB, but only one year between ESB and ROTJ.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Joe Don Baker posted:

Break down the plan:

1) Lando goes in ahead of time to become one of Jabba's guards (he does nothing until after Luke already has his saber and is killing everyone.
2) Get Leia (and Chewbacca) captured to get Han thawed out
3) Get 3PO and R2 captured
4) Get Luke captured.

What would have happened if he put Leia and Chewie into the Rancor pit (like he did to EVERYONE we see displeasing Jabba), or what if he threw the thawed Han in there?
What would have happened if R2 hadn't been on the deck?
What did 3P0 do? What did Lando do? Nothing.

It's really such a bizarre plan. It basically only exists to get all three characters back together, which it does accomplish but it's just never made sense.

Why didn't the rebels (or just Luke) show up and kill everyone. It's exactly what happened anyways. It seems that Luke was planning on trying to use Jedi mind trick on Jabba, which failed, so on to plan B: MURDER EVERYONE.

Karma Tornado posted:

I honestly don't think it was written that cleverly, like The Sting or Oceans 11. It's just lazy writing, honestly:
1) Get them together
2) Kill everyone
3) Escape

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 11, 2011

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
It takes a special kind of blind fanboyism to think that the "plan" to rescue Han makes any sort of sense at all.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think the "lando does nothing" part of the plan makes sense if you think of it as a "keep an eye on frozen han, step in and kick rear end if he throws him to the rancor. Dont do anything drastic untill we come up with a plan".

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:

that awful man posted:

Excellent! You are awesome! Thank you!

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
We seriously need a PYF Star Wars image thread.

All of these are canon.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Santa_Claus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Break down the plan:

1) Lando goes in ahead of time to become one of Jabba's guards (he does nothing until after Luke already has his saber and is killing everyone.
2) Get Leia (and Chewbacca) captured to get Han thawed out
3) Get 3PO and R2 captured
4) Get Luke captured.

What would have happened if he put Leia and Chewie into the Rancor pit (like he did to EVERYONE we see displeasing Jabba), or what if he threw the thawed Han in there?
What would have happened if R2 hadn't been on the deck?
What did 3P0 do? What did Lando do? Nothing.

It's really such a bizarre plan. It basically only exists to get all three characters back together, which it does accomplish but it's just never made sense.

Why didn't the rebels (or just Luke) show up and kill everyone. It's exactly what happened anyways. It seems that Luke was planning on trying to use Jedi mind trick on Jabba, which failed, so on to plan B: MURDER EVERYONE.

I always thought it was full of redundancies. The primary plan was for Leia to get out with Han. I assume Lando was going to get Chewbacca out but this was thwarted when Jabba got wise.

If that didn't work, Luke would try his Jedi powers. If that failed and things got ugly, his lightsaber had been smuggled in. He actually tried to pull off the assassination with a blaster but was surprised by the trapdoor.

The one thing I don't really understand is why the lightsaber had to be smuggled in since Luke easily handled the guards. Maybe Boba Fett would have taken it away because MANDALORIANS or something.

Basically, it actually was pretty messy from the standpoint of the characters as well.