Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
who wants to proofread my lovely 40k fan fiction

im gunning for nick kyme's job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nephilm posted:

Not chaos-aligned forces, not mutated humans/astartes, but actual materialized daemons. It is extremely rare for one to appear, and a full daemon incursion is about the worst case scenario for the agencies that deal with that threat - whatever propitiated it in the first place is often unknown and enough of a threat that I'd agree extreme measures are in order to mitigate the risk of secondary contamination.

The issue with the Armageddon war is that the inquisition called for the elimination of the entire populace, despite and in opposition of the Wolves' efforts to contain exposure.

Purging an entire hive world sounds like insanity given a full 70-80% of the population probably didn't see a Chaos demon, so it was probably just a jumped up Inquisitor pushing the limits of what their authority extends to.

I'd like more stores about the Inquisition clashing with esteemed Space Marines chapters over matters of protocol. I don't think anyone else has a Bjorn to pull rank but the clout the Black Templers or Ultramarines could throw around if challenged would make for a great story.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dog_Meat posted:

This is one fo those fluff things that I wish was more consistent. In Pariah, Bequin calms herself by reciting a child's nursery rhyme that sings about the great heresy and the blessed primarchs "the nine who stood and the nine who turned". I know the imperiums is pants shittingly vast and methods may vary across sectors, but it was a bit of a jolt after reading a story where they burn entire planets to cover up knowledge of the fallen primarchs.

The fact that 9 primarchs turned is probably pretty common knowledge. The fact that a decent chunk of the evil primarchs even defeated still survive as immortal daemons scheming for eternity is probably not so common knowledge.

Also, the whole "kill everyone on Armageddon and start over" thing is probably just laziness. It's more efficient to kill everyone than to painstakingly sort them out, especially while meanwhile production on the planet has to stop. After all, keep in mind that a bunch of cities on the planet revolted and turned to chaos in the first place, and even the surviving cities had their own uprisings that had to be crushed. Mere proximity to the influence of the daemon primarch was enough to raise a big chunk of the population in immediate rebellion. The fact that this happened pretty much out of the blue is scary as hell.

It's also noted that the inquisitor in charge has a lot of power and influnce but basically zero experience dealing with something as serious as a large-scale demonic incursion. "Kill everyone just to be sure" is a viable tactic when talking a building or platoon or maybe even a city, not so much a planet. Though the thing is that the inquisition very easily has the resources and authority to do this on a planetary scale, so practical concerns basically are not a stop on them at all.

pentyne posted:

Purging an entire hive world sounds like insanity given a full 70-80% of the population probably didn't see a Chaos demon, so it was probably just a jumped up Inquisitor pushing the limits of what their authority extends to.

Why is it insanity? What if the numbers work out and it's actually cheaper and safer than screening and sorting them?

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 14, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

The fact that 9 primarchs turned is probably pretty common knowledge. The fact that a decent chunk of the evil primarchs even defeated still survive as immortal daemons scheming for eternity is probably not so common knowledge.

Also, the whole "kill everyone on Armageddon and start over" thing is probably just laziness. It's more efficient to kill everyone than to painstakingly sort them out, especially while meanwhile production on the planet has to stop. After all, keep in mind that a bunch of cities on the planet revolted and turned to chaos in the first place, and even the surviving cities had their own uprisings that had to be crushed. Mere proximity to the influence of the daemon primarch was enough to raise a big chunk of the population in immediate rebellion. The fact that this happened pretty much out of the blue is scary as hell.

It's also noted that the inquisitor in charge has a lot of power and influnce but basically zero experience dealing with something as serious as a large-scale demonic incursion. "Kill everyone just to be sure" is a viable tactic when talking a building or platoon or maybe even a city, not so much a planet. Though the thing is that the inquisition very easily has the resources and authority to do this on a planetary scale, so practical concerns basically are not a stop on them at all.

Why is it insanity? What if the numbers work out and it's actually cheaper and safer than screening and sorting them?

Hive world tithes to the IG must be in the 10s of millions a year. Suddenly losing a hive world would seriously damage the ability of the sector IG to project force/meet recruitment quotas for centuries. Losing one to a hive fleet, that's unfortunate, but losing one because an Inquisitor wants to make a show of force against a rebellious chapter is foolish, but it fits in with the whole "slowly dying" motif the Imperium has.

All discussion aside, it made for a pretty drat good story that most other BL writers would have completely hosed up.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Inquisitors like that kinda/almost have a point, anyway. I forget their name, but there was one Astartes chapter that was completely corrupted by the Alpha Legion.

The Alpha Legion (or their agents) sprayed graffiti in the hive the loyalist chapter recruited from, making sure the graffiti is everywhere and seen by everyone. The graffiti created hidden triggers in anyone who looked at it, which included aspirants. When an Alpha Legionnaire arrived, all he had to do was say the trigger command, and the entire loyalist chapter turned on their senior officers (who had been recruited elsewhere, apparently).

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

who wants to proofread my lovely 40k fan fiction

im gunning for nick kyme's job

I will, PM me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

VanSandman posted:

I will, PM me.

Me too, but I'll make you read mine too.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It also has an Imperial Fists invading a Craftworld, an Imperial Fists captain that melted his skin off his hand so that he could scrimshaw his own bones and an Inquistor who had his memory wiped so that he could go through a rejuvenation process.

From a few pages back, but the Imperial Fist with the Skeleton Hand means that it's in continuity with Space Marine :black101:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Something interesting I read in Helsreach was when the one space marine says something to the effect of 'the family I was stolen from'.

Did anyone else find this weird? I don't recall ever hearing about a Space Marine talking of family (besides the obvious 'brothers).

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

pentyne posted:

Hive world tithes to the IG must be in the 10s of millions a year. Suddenly losing a hive world would seriously damage the ability of the sector IG to project force/meet recruitment quotas for centuries. Losing one to a hive fleet, that's unfortunate, but losing one because an Inquisitor wants to make a show of force against a rebellious chapter is foolish, but it fits in with the whole "slowly dying" motif the Imperium has.

All discussion aside, it made for a pretty drat good story that most other BL writers would have completely hosed up.

Not all tithes are in manpower. Armageddon is a huge factory world, it's almost certain their tithes are in manufacturing. Hive worlds where the tithes are in guard regiments are rare and they're usually the least valuable, most clapped-out worlds because people are the least valuable and rare resource in the entire Imperium.

Again, you're making assumptions based on modern experience that simply don't exist in the game's universe. People are neither rare nor valuable, and hundreds of millions are pretty easy to drum up or pressgang from some backwater unproductive world basically out of nothing and then drop onto one with infrastructure to serve as dumb labor.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Something interesting I read in Helsreach was when the one space marine says something to the effect of 'the family I was stolen from'.

Did anyone else find this weird? I don't recall ever hearing about a Space Marine talking of family (besides the obvious 'brothers).

Fairly certain Argel Tal of the Word Bearers talks a fair amount about his family at points. Like remembering gifts from his sisters and stuff.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I think that's an ADB thing in how he's able to humanise a demigod. His Space Marines talk about everything from their mothers to their dogs in the way without comprehending the humanity they've lost and given up.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cream_Filling posted:

Not all tithes are in manpower. Armageddon is a huge factory world, it's almost certain their tithes are in manufacturing. Hive worlds where the tithes are in guard regiments are rare and they're usually the least valuable, most clapped-out worlds because people are the least valuable and rare resource in the entire Imperium.

Again, you're making assumptions based on modern experience that simply don't exist in the game's universe. People are neither rare nor valuable, and hundreds of millions are pretty easy to drum up or pressgang from some backwater unproductive world basically out of nothing and then drop onto one with infrastructure to serve as dumb labor.

Yeah Armageddon supposedly made 10 million tanks a year and that is what they were preserving there

10 million a year is an absurdly low number, I'm not certain if that is the usual space opera doesn't know scale thing, or a commentary on how the imperium has fallen that Henry Ford could do better

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

10 million a year is an absurdly low number, I'm not certain if that is the usual space opera doesn't know scale thing, or a commentary on how the imperium has fallen that Henry Ford could do better

Almost certainly the former over the latter.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Man what a dumb argument. Whether or not exterminatus-ing a planet is "sane" is a non-starter, nothing about the Inquisition or the Imperium is sane. That's practically the entire point of the setting.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Man what a dumb argument. Whether or not exterminatus-ing a planet is "sane" is a non-starter, nothing about the Inquisition or the Imperium is sane. That's practically the entire point of the setting.
Uh, sorry, Mechafunkzilla, but grimdark times call for grimdark measures. And exterminatus is what I would do if I were the inquisition, because I know what it takes. I'd totally be the only one here to survive in 40k!!! :clint:

*goes back to reading novel about inhuman man-children shooting things in space, all while wishing he could be one of them*

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DirtyRobot posted:

Uh, sorry, Mechafunkzilla, but grimdark times call for grimdark measures. And exterminatus is what I would do if I were the inquisition, because I know what it takes. I'd totally be the only one here to survive in 40k!!! :clint:

*goes back to reading novel about inhuman man-children shooting things in space, all while wishing he could be one of them*

Hm yes, you are definitely smarter than tie-in literature for children's toys. Congratulations. Next let's debunk the monetary system in Harry Potter by going on a bunch of tenuous assumptions instead of just going "oh its magic whatever" or else coming up with ways it could work out. Fun? What is this fun you speak of?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Hm yes, you are definitely smarter than tie-in literature for children's toys. Congratulations. Next let's debunk the monetary system in Harry Potter by going on a bunch of tenuous assumptions instead of just going "oh its magic whatever" or else coming up with ways it could work out. Fun? What is this fun you speak of?

Dude, I read 40k novels and love them. And in your Harry Potter example, I'd be making fun of people who are doing the former ("hm, is exterminatus justified in this present situation, well, let me do that math and show you why...") instead of just doing the normal thing and saying, "oh, it's a crazy grimdark setting whatever" and having fun with the novel. I'm also making fun of anyone who literally wants to be a space marine without realizing you really shouldn't want to be.

edit: and I agree completely with the "come up with ways it could work out" instead of trying to debunk poo poo when, as long as there are ways you could imagine it working out, you should just do that and move on.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 14, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DirtyRobot posted:

Dude, I read 40k novels and love them. And in your Harry Potter example, I'd be making fun of people who are doing the former ("hm, is exterminatus justified in this present situation, well, let me do that math and show you why...") instead of just doing the normal thing and saying, "oh, it's a crazy grimdark setting whatever" and having fun with the novel. I'm also making fun of anyone who literally wants to be a space marine without realizing you really shouldn't want to be.

I'm confused now. My bad.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Welp.

edit:
:)

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 14, 2014

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Man, I cant wait for Master of Mankind and the Talons of Horus to come out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cream_Filling posted:

Not all tithes are in manpower. Armageddon is a huge factory world, it's almost certain their tithes are in manufacturing.
And not the Armageddon Steel Legion? Nah man, it's definitely in mans.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Shroud posted:

Inquisitors like that kinda/almost have a point, anyway. I forget their name, but there was one Astartes chapter that was completely corrupted by the Alpha Legion.

The Alpha Legion (or their agents) sprayed graffiti in the hive the loyalist chapter recruited from, making sure the graffiti is everywhere and seen by everyone. The graffiti created hidden triggers in anyone who looked at it, which included aspirants. When an Alpha Legionnaire arrived, all he had to do was say the trigger command, and the entire loyalist chapter turned on their senior officers (who had been recruited elsewhere, apparently).

This literally sounds like a G.I. Joe subplot. Was this RT or 2nd edition era? That's the goofiest thing ever.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just reminds me of Traitor General TBH.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Noctis Horrendae posted:

This literally sounds like a G.I. Joe subplot. Was this RT or 2nd edition era? That's the goofiest thing ever.

It was some short story. I think it was an older collection? Also if I remember it's that they had secretly tainted/programmed the recruits for like decades/centuries beforehand and the graffiti was just the trigger for the secret programming or something like that.

edit: nm http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Crimson_ConsulsHammer and Bolter 3, "The Long Games at Carcharias" by Rob Sanders

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 14, 2014

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
God I hate the loving the "it's science FICTION" non-argument, all the more when it's marred to the "dude it's a 80s metal power fantasy nonsense setting" vs "the setting has changed with the times and is trying to be more serious and consistent and becoming better for it" 40k divide.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The setting only sort of changed. You haven't really got a handle on it until you stand in a GW store with the heads of retail for the UK while they make period jokes about the Sisters of Battle in front of shopkids and their parents.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Cream_Filling posted:

It was some short story. I think it was an older collection? Also if I remember it's that they had secretly tainted/programmed the recruits for like decades/centuries beforehand and the graffiti was just the trigger for the secret programming or something like that.

edit: nm http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Crimson_ConsulsHammer and Bolter 3, "The Long Games at Carcharias" by Rob Sanders

Cool, thanks for the link. This sounds hilarious.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

The setting only sort of changed. You haven't really got a handle on it until you stand in a GW store with the heads of retail for the UK while they make period jokes about the Sisters of Battle in front of shopkids and their parents.

I just thought they knew their market audience. I mean, while else would you have names like 'The Red Terror' and 'Old One Eye'?

We get it GW, it's just not funny.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kegslayer posted:

I just thought they knew their market audience. I mean, while else would you have names like 'The Red Terror' and 'Old One Eye'?

We get it GW, it's just not funny.
Uh, because the Red Terror is red and Old One Eye has one eye? The Red Terror referred to a Russian purge and Judge Dredd used the "Old One Eye" name long before GW did. Just because you can make something into a joke, doesn't mean it was originally intended that way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of something completely different people if given the chance should really really read the old Obvious Tactics graphic novel as it is simply glorious. The plot and dialogue is just so amazingly corny and hammy that it's nothing but a joy to read. :D

Shame we'll never see it reprinted because it's hammyness goes totally against the current image of 40k as a grimdark universe.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Cool, thanks for the link. This sounds hilarious.

There's actually a different chapter they pulled that on too, that was mentioned in the 4th Edition Chaos Space Marine codex. Basically the exact same trick too.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Uh, because the Red Terror is red and Old One Eye has one eye? The Red Terror referred to a Russian purge and Judge Dredd used the "Old One Eye" name long before GW did. Just because you can make something into a joke, doesn't mean it was originally intended that way.

I'd agree except GW has always had a history of using puns to name things from Birmingham being a shithole of a planet to characters like Lord Kroak being a mummified frog.

When that codex came out and you had the writers themselves joking about how they'd never know when Red Terror would pop up or that Old One Eye was super hard, then the names are pretty meant to be taken as a joke.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't think they had historical events in mind, but the Judge Dredd thing is likely as GW owned the Judge Dredd extended universe rights for a bit back in their RPG days.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Arquinsiel posted:

Seriously? Why not tell us a few?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Kegslayer posted:

I'd agree except GW has always had a history of using puns to name things from Birmingham being a shithole of a planet to characters like Lord Kroak being a mummified frog.

When that codex came out and you had the writers themselves joking about how they'd never know when Red Terror would pop up or that Old One Eye was super hard, then the names are pretty meant to be taken as a joke.

Props to whoever it was in this thread that pointed out Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka / Ghazghkull Margaret Thatcher.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

Seriously? Why not tell us a few?

Of all the terrible, idiotic things GW management has done, being wildly inappropriate in front of their customers is the least surprising.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've been told that the Sisters of Battle have been depicted disrespectfully in recent publications, getting their asses handed to them left and right. Like one time the Grey Knight slaughtered a bunch of sisters so that they could make wards out of their blood.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Shroud posted:

Found this little gem on ADB's blog:

Wow sorry to dredge this up again, but I'm amazed at how much Curze looks like Dani Filth in power armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Wow sorry to dredge this up again, but I'm amazed at how much Curze looks like Dani Filth in power armour.

Not a coincidence, I'm sure.